'Shroomfest Debate (Round 4) - WARM BEVERAGES vs COLD BEVERAGES

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakituthequick

Celestial Guide
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Well, the second week is ongoing and warm beverages are going quite warmly if I may say so myself, although this war is a bit too cold to my tastes.

Let's first get into some mocha action, shall we?
You may have noticed that in my opening statement last week, I slipped a bit about not being much in favour of adding milk to coffee. Because milk reduces the percentage of coffee in the beverage. However, mocha adds chocolate to the mix, does it not? You can't possibly refuse a good cup of mocha because of it.

To go into some more statistics then, if people aren't convinced yet, feast your eyes:

Tom Oder said:
Through the centuries, coffee has become increasingly popular. It is the world's most widely traded tropical agricultural commodity, according to the International Coffee Organization (ICO). Some 70 countries produce coffee, in 2010 global coffee sector employment was about 26 million people in 52 producing countries and exports of 93.4 million bags in 2009-10 were worth an estimated $15.4 billion, according to the London-based group. Global production for 2014-15 is forecast at 149.8 million bags, according to a December 2014 USDA analysis.
This article also nicely hooks into another point I'd like to discuss: a bit of history and etymology of coffee. You see, the English "coffee" is directly derived from its Dutch word "koffie". (Which borrows it from Ottoman Turkish which in turn borrows from Arabic.) This is a likely consequence of the fact that the Dutch imported the stuff, popularised it in Europe, started their own farms on places like Java (hence the nickname cup of java and the reason why the Java language's logo is a stylised cup of coffee), and traded it around the globe. It's no wonder the Dutch love this black gold.

I want to quickly highlight a few Javanese blends as well. Specifically, the kopi joss and kopi luwak. Both have an interesting production process that makes them special.

Kopi obviously means coffee in Indonesian, but the joss and luwak indicate more about the production of our, uh, java. Joss supposedly is the sound the coffee makes when being produced: with burning charcoal. Yup, you take a cup of black coffee, and drop a bit of burning charcoal into it! A few minutes later you remove it, and you can enjoy a nice cup of kopi joss, which has a slightly burned woody taste added to it, while neutralising the acidity. In addition, charcoal is potentially capable of helping remove toxins from your system, so it might even be healthy, but as with most things, in limited quantities.

Luwak is less obvious, as it comes from the Dutch name of the Asian palm civet, "loewak". Why are civets involved in this blend? Why, because it is brewed with coffee beans that have been digested by these critters! Indeed, the specific process of digestion ferments and alters the composition of the coffee cherries and adds a unique flavour to them. Plus, the luwaks are picky, so they only eat the best cherries to begin with!
I dare say there are quite a few different types of coffee around, wouldn't you?

Kirbyo

pink galoomba with arms and headphones
Are you sure soup is a beverage, because I think... ok, I wont go off topic. what I will say is that cold beverages overpopulate and overtake the beverage market. for one, most drinks at restaurants are cold drinks unless they specialize in them. have you ever seen a hot drink other than hot cocoa/coffee in a restaurant? probably not. besides, name off at least 5 cold drinks off the top of your head. water, soda, milk... the list goes on and on. now try and name 5 hot drinks. not so easy, right? yes, there's coffee, tea, cocoa, and sometimes milk, but what other popular hot drinks are out there? we want to please as many people as possible, so we want variety, and the best way to get that is to go with the more populous and varied cold beverages

Booguette

Wannabe shroomfest judge
1617369889291.png

I don't want to repeat what rowlf the dog said, so I will say it in my own words:
Soup is NOT a hot beverage! It is a food dish! By the logic that soup is a hot beverage, curry and chili would be too, and we all know that's not true.
However, soup broth is a hot beverage, but only when you have it plain with nothing inside it! and where's the fun in that?(truth is, there may be some, I'm vegetarian.)

Kirbyo

View attachment 11007
I don't want to repeat what rowlf the dog said, so I will say it in my own words:
Soup is NOT a hot beverage! It is a food dish! By the logic that soup is a hot beverage, curry and chili would be too, and we all know that's not true.
However, soup broth is a hot beverage, but only when you have it plain with nothing inside it! and where's the fun in that?(truth is, there may be some, I'm vegetarian.)
This seems like a very familiar situation... oh yea right. Please stop talking about soup, we need to stay on topic, and whether or not soup is a beverage is not the topic of this thread. if you want to debate whether or not soup is a beverage, maybe create a thread dedicated to it. just don't talk about it in this thread. this is about hot beverages vs. cold beverages, not whether or not soup is a beverage. thank you for understanding (also I swear I'm not a boards moderator I just want to stop the problem before a real boards moderator (or ninja squid) has to intervene). also, here's a fun fact: one of every four beverages consumed today is a cold soft drink!

Kirbyo

I didn't want anyone talking about weather or not soup is a beverage on this thread, so i made one dedicated to the topic. you can find it here. also, did you know that hot chocolate wasn't always hot?

Cali

Portal Master's Aide
did you know that hot chocolate wasn't always hot?
1617406954974.png

"Of course it wasn't always hot. Somebody just decided to heat up chocolate milk."
1617406996056.png

"Not sure why anybody would do that, though. Doesn't milk go bad if you heat it up...shoot, lemme try it out."
1617407042124.png

1617407108414.png

"PFFT-"
1617407164972.png

"Yeah, I'm sticking to cold drinks."
1617407135691.png

*Outro Music*

Kirbyo

Looks like today in the `shroomfest, not too much happened. A few good points were made, Hat Kid made a hilarious meme, and we nearly went off topic (again), but I think we can all agree that cold drink ruled this day. lets see what happens tomorrow at the beginning of the weekend, which will also be the start of the last week of `shroomfesting! Also, did you know that over 34 billion gallons of soft drinks are sold in over 200 countries each year?

The Real Hooded Pitohui

The Bird with Bronchitis!
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
phoenix-document(b) (1).gif
I apologize for being late to the arguments this week, Your Honor. I've been rather busy in this past week, particularly with reviewing the case file. Now then, what is it that you-

phoenix-ohshit.gif
G-Gah!

phoenix-sweating(b).gif
Your Honor, you can't be serious. I need to argue about sparkling water, one of my least favorite beverages in the world? The screenshot says it all! I absolutely abhor that drink. Why gulp down angry carbonation, when regular water will do just as well?

phoenix-thinking(b).gif
But alright, I'll take on your challenge. Let's analyze why sparkling water is a quality beverage.

Begrudging Argument: Sparkling Water, Spectacular Options

Let's look at the obvious benefits first. If you don't like drinking plain water, sparkling water can be the solution for you. Sparkling water has more... "texture", for lack of a better word, as well as additional flavor to it. This creates a more interesting drinking experience than plain water supplies. For those who don't regularly drink plain water, this can especially help keep you adequately hydrated, and serves as a healthier alternative to juices or sodas.

However, wouldn't you know it, there are other benefits to drinking sparkling water! If you would, peruse this article. While it isn't the best drink to down constantly, it does have its benefits in moderation. For one, it can help with your digestion system, keeping all of those organs in check inside of you. It can also create a greater feeling of fulfillment, and it can potentially help you lose weight, if that's a goal of yours.

And this isn't to mention the pure variety of sparkling water brands and flavors! Are you invested in some lemon water with a bit more bubble? Or how about the more unique flavors, like pomplamousse or cucumber lime? Apricot, mango, coconut, raspberry, strawberry, the list goes on and on. You'll be hard-pressed to find any canned beverages with as much variety as sparkling waters supply. And speaking of canned beverages, isn't it the perfect choice to put in our office vending machine? After all, it serves as a healthier alternative while still providing that fulfilling, brisk cold beverage feel!

None of this is to mention the pure economic boon that is sparkling water, which was expected to reach a net worth of USD 27.59 billion in 2020. It isn't just coffee who's king anymore.

phoenix-confident(b) (1).gif
I hope this argument tickles your fancy, Your Honor. And I hope the arguments of my colleagues really bolster our presentation for this week!

Matlock

That's what I call hamburgers
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
I apologize for being late to the arguments this week, Your Honor. I've been rather busy in this past week, particularly with reviewing the case file. Now then, what is it that you-

G-Gah!

Your Honor, you can't be serious. I need to argue about sparkling water, one of my least favorite beverages in the world? The screenshot says it all! I absolutely abhor that drink. Why gulp down angry carbonation, when regular water will do just as well?

But alright, I'll take on your challenge. Let's analyze why sparkling water is a quality beverage.

Begrudging Argument: Sparkling Water, Spectacular Options

Let's look at the obvious benefits first. If you don't like drinking plain water, sparkling water can be the solution for you. Sparkling water has more... "texture", for lack of a better word, as well as additional flavor to it. This creates a more interesting drinking experience than plain water supplies. For those who don't regularly drink plain water, this can especially help keep you adequately hydrated, and serves as a healthier alternative to juices or sodas.

However, wouldn't you know it, there are other benefits to drinking sparkling water! If you would, peruse this article. While it isn't the best drink to down constantly, it does have its benefits in moderation. For one, it can help with your digestion system, keeping all of those organs in check inside of you. It can also create a greater feeling of fulfillment, and it can potentially help you lose weight, if that's a goal of yours.

And this isn't to mention the pure variety of sparkling water brands and flavors! Are you invested in some lemon water with a bit more bubble? Or how about the more unique flavors, like pomplamousse or cucumber lime? Apricot, mango, coconut, raspberry, strawberry, the list goes on and on. You'll be hard-pressed to find any canned beverages with as much variety as sparkling waters supply. And speaking of canned beverages, isn't it the perfect choice to put in our office vending machine? After all, it serves as a healthier alternative while still providing that fulfilling, brisk cold beverage feel!

None of this is to mention the pure economic boon that is sparkling water, which was expected to reach a net worth of USD 27.59 billion in 2020. It isn't just coffee who's king anymore.

I hope this argument tickles your fancy, Your Honor. And I hope the arguments of my colleagues really bolster our presentation for this week!
Counterpoint sparkling water much like flavored water is dreadfully terrible
People who drink flavored water are just people who refuse to acknowledge they actually want something else to drink
Now a nice glass of hot coffee or hot tea
there's a respectable drink
there's a drink ordered by a man or woman who knows what they want
not some mealy mouth fence sitter who can't make up their mind so they end up with the worst choice!

King Hippo

"GRRMM! GRAAA!!! GRRMM!"
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
ColdBeverageNeso.jpeg

Hey there everyone, it's me, Ran neso. Originally, I was a little reluctant about participating in this 'Shroomfest, but after a bit of *ahem* persuasion, along with the fact that the end date is on my birthday, I chose to go along.

Where my owner lives, the weather seems to be getting warmer, so he gave me this glass of lemonade to cool off. Looks nice, huh?

Anyway, I don't have much else to add, other than to support cold drinks along with me! Together, we can show those over on the hot drinks side how refreshing cold beverages can be!

Matlock

That's what I call hamburgers
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
Guys I colored a thing
IMG_20210403_022320003.jpg

that's Marshal Dan Troop star of the greatest tv show ever created Lawman from my official Lawman coloring book drinking a cup of coffee I don't see him drinking a cup of milk or a bottle of water nope NICE HOT COFFEE!
CHECKMATE TEAM COLD BEVERAGE!

Last edited:

Kirbyo

Counterpoint sparkling water much like flavored water is dreadfully terrible
People who drink flavored water are just people who refuse to acknowledge they actually want something else to drink
Now a nice glass of hot coffee or hot tea
there's a respectable drink
there's a drink ordered by a man or woman who knows what they want
not some mealy mouth fence sitter who can't make up their mind so they end up with the worst choice!
Objection! What if they know what they want and that thing is sparkle/flavored water???
Hey there everyone, it's me, Ran neso. Originally, I was a little reluctant about participating in this 'Shroomfest, but after a bit of *ahem* persuasion, along with the fact that the end date is on my birthday, I chose to go along.
Good for you! Hope you have a happy birthday! And also... welcome to the cold side, buddy.

Addam Origo

Lord of Aletta
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
JUDGE SESSION #2

Okay, we are here once again. Speaking of the flamethrower, Sheldon was so eager about the idea, that he decided to build a flamethrower with some pieces from a Splatling. Let us see how good it will be, but as usual, he will need a bit more time.

Oh, right, you are here for the judgment of the week. Sorry. Well, let's take a look, shall we?

So this week, I was giving everyone the challenge of creating the most hilarious memes. Looking back, I decided to take my three most favorites.

I love the DK Plush's facial expression!

SOUPGATE!
Doing a meme out of mocha? Perfection!

Looking at my top three, we have two memes from Team Warm Beverages, and one from Team Cold Beverages. So, I'd say it is a win for Team Warm Beverages for the Challenge of the Week.

But...
That's not all, I also gave a request to the team leaders here. A post in defense of two of my favorite beverages. Let us have a look at that as well.

To go into some more statistics then, if people aren't convinced yet, feast your eyes:

Tom Oder said:
Through the centuries, coffee has become increasingly popular. It is the world's most widely traded tropical agricultural commodity, according to the International Coffee Organization (ICO). Some 70 countries produce coffee, in 2010 global coffee sector employment was about 26 million people in 52 producing countries and exports of 93.4 million bags in 2009-10 were worth an estimated $15.4 billion, according to the London-based group. Global production for 2014-15 is forecast at 149.8 million bags, according to a December 2014 USDA analysis.
So, looking here, both of our team leaders went on to speak about coffee and sparkling water's role in the economy. If we look at the net worth of coffee:

As for Sparkling Water:

Looking here, we can think that the coffee market is indeed bigger than sparkling water, but there is something that Roserade and other Cold Beverages supporters brought in that I think is an interesting thought.

I still recommending checking out the list! There's a great blend of hot and cold beverages! But you notice there's usually just coffee and tea, while the rest are liquors, fruit cocktails, iced teas, kvass, lassi, horchata, all which are usually served cold.
besides, name off at least 5 cold drinks off the top of your head. water, soda, milk... the list goes on and on. now try and name 5 hot drinks. not so easy, right? yes, there's coffee, tea, cocoa, and sometimes milk, but what other popular hot drinks are out there? we want to please as many people as possible, so we want variety, and the best way to get that is to go with the more populous and varied cold beverages
Cold Beverages comes in a ton of varieties, and with that said, they can generate a considerable amount of money. Probably far higher than coffee alone could ever done. So, considering this, I have no choice, but to give a point here to Cold Beverages.

Now I would like to give some honorable mentions to some posts that I quite liked this week!

Hello everyone, I return once again with another WALUIGI TIME COMIC featuring everyone's most and least favorite Cereal Magnate and guest starring Pitohui because he volunteered

It's about cold milk so it counts
View attachment 11063
View attachment 11049
"Of course it wasn't always hot. Somebody just decided to heat up chocolate milk."
View attachment 11050
"Not sure why anybody would do that, though. Doesn't milk go bad if you heat it up...shoot, lemme try it out."
View attachment 11051
View attachment 11052
"PFFT-"
View attachment 11054
"Yeah, I'm sticking to cold drinks."
View attachment 11053
*Outro Music*
Guys I colored a thing
View attachment 11069
that's Marshal Dan Troop star of the greatest tv show ever created Lawman from my official Lawman coloring book drinking a cup of coffee I don't see him drinking a cup of milk or a bottle of water nope NICE HOT COFFEE!
CHECKMATE TEAM COLD BEVERAGE!
this was a video that i meant to do for this last week. it did not happen. so i did it this week instead. enjoy :>

So, looking here, there is plenty of great Cold Beverages posts to look at. Overall, Warm Beverages did well with memes, but Cold Beverages won with my request, and honorary mentions. With that said, I have no choice, but to give my bonus points this time around to Team Cold Bevera... Hang on!

Winner of Week 2
TEAM COLD BEVERAGES
Congratulations, you earned +3 extra points in the EFFORT category!

Question of the Week: We are going right into the final week of 'Shroomfest. For this last week, we are going with something quite simple. What is YOUR favorite beverage. If you are siding with Warm Beverages, what is your favorite hot drinks, and if you are siding with the Cold Beverages, what is your favorite cold drink?

Share them with us, and if you are interested in going a little more with details, tell us about their benefits as well. It's time for the last push everyone!

'SHROOMFEST DEBATE ROUND 4 - WEEK 3 BEGINS NOW!
Reminder that you can vote once a week on the poll here.​

Waluigi Time

Punch-Out!!
Wiki Patroller
Victory is a beverage best served cold.
-Abraham Lincoln
Hello everyone, and welcome to The Beverages Waluigi Time Drinks On A Regular Basis. Today, I, Waluigi Time, will be discussing the beverages I drink on a regular basis. (Spoiler: They are all cold beverages because hot beverages are for people who like hot beverages and I am not one of those)
  1. WAAAAH-ter Water - Yeah, okay, it's the most basic beverage to exist. Who said that was a bad thing? Water is delicious, refreshing, and very healthy! There's a reason it's the only beverage that literally falls from the sky. I was even drinking it while writing this post.
  2. Chocolate Milk - It's chocolate in beverage form without all the tongue-burning rage of hot chocolate! If you don't care for store bought chocolate milk, it's also incredibly easy to make yourself, which means you can control the levels of chocolatey goodness to your heart's content.
  3. Orange Juice - It's great for breakfast. I don't have much else to say here.
  4. Lemonade - Probably the most versatile beverage on this list. Not only is standard lemonade great, but there's plenty of other flavors out there. (I'm partial to strawberry, myself.) You can also turn it pink. I don't really know what difference that makes, but people do it, so... Also it works well with those funny little umbrellas!
Thank you for reading The Beverages Waluigi Time Drinks On A Regular Basis, I'm Waluigi Time and these are the beverages I drink on a regular basis. Have a nice day.

Cali

Portal Master's Aide

1617486880912.png

"Hey, all! Scott here!"
1617487035679.png

"Holy crap, Cold Drinks actually won?"
1617487069196.png

"Oh, boy! Time to do the next logical thing to do: list all of my favorite cold drinks!"

1. Dr. Pepper - This reminds me of all the good times of my youth at my Uncle's house. Nothing beats nostalgia.
2. Chocolate Milk - The superior prequel to Hot Chocolate. It puts you do bed all nice and cozy.
3. Coca-Cola - Can't go wrong with a classic.
4. Regular Milk - It's like Choclate Milk, but with no chocolate.
5. Water - Only good if you've been really hot and sweaty.

1617487266066.png

"Well, that wraps up my list. Oh, wait, there's one more thing..."
1617487407209.png

"This BLOWS!"
1617487427254.png

1617487582845.png

*Outro Music*

Attachments

Kirbyo

Personally, I like grape juice. It keeps me energized, and since I drink it all the time, I don't need to worry about eating fruits! Also, grape juice is best served COLD, which is a plus. Ginger ale is pretty good to, its definitely in my top 5 favorite drinks of all time, and once again, its best served COLD. So yea, I'm a cold drinks kid all the way (although I do live in one of the hottest places in the world, so that might affect my opinion).

Status
Not open for further replies.