Should Mario become the King of the Mushroom Kingdom with Peach as his queen?

Should they?

• Yes, they should. They deserve it.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • I don't know.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't think they should yet. It'll have to be a while.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Nope, never.

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Only Peach should become queen. Mario can remain who he is.

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

Mcmadness

The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
Michael Jackson became a cultural icon in pop and got money and owned his Neverland Ranch. He sold more albums of Off the Wall and Thriller than any artist did before him, making him King of Pop. He became big. Same with Madonna and her albums, earning her the Queen of Pop. Same with Britney Spears and Baby One More Time, earning her Princess of Pop. This is like my logic.

You do realize those are nicknames right? It's not like they actually became rulers of anything. Thats not even remotely how that shit works.

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
You do realize those are nicknames right? It's not like they actually became rulers of anything. Thats not even remotely how that shit works.
Yeah, they are, but they're honorific titles as well. They're termed by the press. If someone or something reaches a significant amount of something, people are going to want to give them titles that are royal and honorific as a metaphor. The way people envision things like this is accomplished through metaphors like the use of royal titles. It also builds up hype for bigger things and it reaches the point where the person or something is recognized as the king or queen of something. Mario is recognized as the king of video games, without a doubt. Peach is recognized as the queen of video game ladies, even if Daisy, Rosalina, Pauline, Samus, Lara Croft, and Zelda are far more liked than her. They haven't reached the number of games Peach has as Mario gets more games each year. Pauline lost relevance once Peach took the spotlight and got the attention. Peach became playable in spin-off games. It took until Mario Tennis Aces for Pauline to show up as a playable character in a spinoff game as Super Mario Odyssey brought her back into relevance.

I've seen my fair share of GMod/SFM videos and I gotta say Mario x Callie actually seems like a better ship at this point
Eh, I disagree. Mario X Peach and Luigi X Daisy have been the standard tried and true ships.

Mcmadness

Yeah, they are, but they're honorific titles as well. They're termed by the press. If someone or something reaches a significant amount of something, people are going to want to give them titles that are royal and honorific as a metaphor. The way people envision things like this is accomplished through metaphors like the use of royal titles. It also builds up hype for bigger things and it reaches the point where the person or something is recognized as the king or queen of something. Mario is recognized as the king of video games, without a doubt. Peach is recognized as the queen of video game ladies, even if Daisy, Rosalina, Pauline, Samus, Lara Croft, and Zelda are far more liked than her. They haven't reached the number of games Peach has as Mario gets more games each year. Pauline lost relevance once Peach took the spotlight and got the attention. Peach became playable in spin-off games. It took until Mario Tennis Aces for Pauline to show up as a playable character in a spinoff game as Super Mario Odyssey brought her back into relevance.
I've been on this planet for just under 29 years of existence and I have never met anyone that has called Mario or Peach the king or queen of anything.

Nor does it have anything to do with them getting shipped together in the franchise.

Larry Koopaling

Cruel, composed and bland
I believe Peach sees Mario as nothing but her simp under a sentimental point of view, as she canonically rejected him at the end of Odyssey. I don't think she'd want to have him as her king. I'd even argue Peach is similar to Elizabeth I, the virgin queen, a strong and charming leader 'married to her queenship', with Mario as her first and most important 'outsider' helper. And even if she marries Mario, she'd be the queen, with Mario being the unimportant member of the couple - a similar situation to Elizabeth II and her husband.

But again, Super Mario canon is not known for its, eh, consistency.

Redshift

Eats Lunch at 4:00 pm
Wiki Patroller
The rejection in Odyssey was compounded that a giant monster attempted to forcibly wed her seconds earlier. I think it would make anyone, regardless of it was Peach or not, decline a proposal at the time.

Dr. Peach

I believe Peach sees Mario as nothing but her simp basically, as she canonically rejected him at the end of Odyssey.
That's because Bowser ruined the whole mood. If Bowser didn't do that, then Mario and Peach would have kissed and gotten married. She still loves Mario though. Early concept art shows Mario and Peach getting married. So yeah, she would like him to be king out of her love for him.

Mario Party X

🎊Party over here, f🎆ck you over there!!🎊
Also Mario, has no canon. Peach can reject Mario for any sort of reason and even if she decreed to never marry Mario in Odyssey, it's all self-contained. But that's also assuming saying "no" is the same as "I will never marry you". It is not. "No" can mean "not now", "I'm not ready", "later".

Mcmadness

Not like them being married would add anything. They'd just drop it or never mention it by the next game.

Larry Koopaling

Cruel, composed and bland
I wrote right at the bottom of my comment that Mario has practically no canon, so I agree with your point. I think they simply wanted to cast Peach as the indipendent and strong female character - which is ironic since she had been the lady in distress for all the game - who needs no man (or turtle), indipendently from Bowser. Nintendo characters often have not really developed interactions between each other outside 'i like him/her - I don't like him/her' (and even simple relationships like those are questioned in games like Mario Kart) so it's mainly up to our personal judgement.

Dr. Peach

I've added a Peach-only option to the poll for those who feel uncomfortable with the idea of Mario becoming King but agree that Peach should be a queen after being a princess for a long time or if they agree that Peach is the queen of video game ladies like how I do.

Last edited:

Mariomaniacs

Helllooooo Dr.!
Larry Koopaling said:
But again, Super Mario canon is not known for its, eh, consistency.
They'd just drop it or never mention it by the next game.
That's what I was going for, if they expanded upon town/farm sim element of Super Mario Run as its own game, King/Queen/Monarch could be a theme like Dr. and Builder.

Dr. Peach

It's saddening to see the number of no and never's outweigh the yes option. I mean, I just wish people would understand Mario and Peach's titles more such as King of Video Games and Queen of Video Game ladies.

Mariomaniacs

Helllooooo Dr.!
idk, I find more often hearing Mario is *the face* of videogames.
Personally I like to refer to Peach as a Nintendo Princess, in comparative contrast to Disney Princess's.
In part I think it has to do with,
there's more innocence to a Prince/Princess/Hero title than King/Queen.
I believe many gamers would find such title too brash for someone like Mario or Peach.
Additionally when someone's a king/queen, they're expected (and assumed to have) made unloving decisions.
And I think that's why you're seeing mostly no's.
Because when it comes down to it, Mario & Peach wouldn't be able to make those decisions, they're too heroic, too loving.
Plus a role of King would tie down Mario as the role of Princess often already does to Peach.
There's more individual freedom to be heroes when they don't have to go to meeting about if a park bridge should be built, or how to ration food supply.

Mcmadness

It's saddening to see the number of no and never's outweigh the yes option. I mean, I just wish people would understand Mario and Peach's titles more such as King of Video Games and Queen of Video Game ladies.
I don't even know what you're trying to say anymore.

Dr. Peach

idk, I find more often hearing Mario is *the face* of videogames.
Personally I like to refer to Peach as a Nintendo Princess, in comparative contrast to Disney Princess's.
Mario is more than just that. He became the King of Video Games as he got a lot of games, more than what Pacman got since the post-1983 gaming crash. I've heard plenty of people calling him the king of video games. Peach is also more than just a princess in my eyes as she is literally the queen of video game ladies as it's a bigger title than being the Princess of Toadstools or the Princess of Mushrooms, or whatever. She does have more games than any female video game character in history than any other in history as there are lots of Mario games coming out every year compared to what Zelda, Samus, and Lara Croft have. That's how I justify the "Queen of Video Game Ladies" title, despite, people liking Samus, Zelda, Daisy, Rosalina, and Lara Croft over her. When you are on top of something and have a much larger number of something, you gain the highest title. That's how those metaphors work. That's just the way it is.
Because when it comes down to it, Mario & Peach wouldn't be able to make those decisions, they're too heroic, too loving.
Plus a role of King would tie down Mario as the role of Princess often already does to Peach.
There's more individual freedom to be heroes when they don't have to go to meeting about if a park bridge should be built, or how to ration food supply.
If Mario and Peach put their mind to it, they can certainly accomplish anything. It takes confidence and effort to do things. You gotta work harder. The challenge is always there, we have to go further on in life and learn to deal with things bigger to gain experience. You gotta step up the game. You got to think outside the box. Self-confidence is a thing. If you build self-confidence, you can do anything by putting your mind into it.

Mario Party X

🎊Party over here, f🎆ck you over there!!🎊
Voting "no" isn't a rejection of the abstract title of "ruler of video games", not necessarily. They simply reject the idea that Mario and Peach should be ruling over Mushroom Kingdom, literal rulers. Genuine question, but do you understand the difference between literal designation of a character and the abstract designation of a "king" of something?

But Mcmadness is correct. The idea that Peach and Mario are married/rulers might sound good on paper but they'd drastically alter the makeup of the games if the developers do follow-through on that dynamic (otherwise, what's the point then? brownie points for shippers??) I don't understand how this translates to people's perceptions of their place in the video game environment. That's just a non sequitur.

Glowsquid

Shine Sprite
Forum Moderator
Wiki Bureaucrat
Former 'Shroom Staff
But Mcmadness is correct. The idea that Peach and Mario are married/rulers might sound good on paper but they'd drastically alter the makeup of the games if the developers do follow-through on that dynamic
That sounds awesome. I want a Mario game where you have to plan the harvest, collect royalty from the indentured plebe and burn heretics.

Dr. Peach

Mario wouldn't be a good king because he's always going out to save Peach.
I think things are gonna be different from Odyssey onwards by the looks of the ending. Mario is almost willing to do anything, he's super committed to his job. He can prove to be a good king. He's not one to go away from responsibilities. With Mario being king and Peach being queen, Bowser wouldn't really want to kidnap Peach anymore. He's probably changed his stance on stuff. Mario would be a good king because he lives with integrity, he blesses others, and he leaves a great legacy. Peach being the queen would compliment Mario's status as a king as she would give Mario orders as well. Mario would think of ways of making the Mushroom Kingdom better and a safe place that wouldn't be as invaded. He would improve security so that people wouldn't get kidnapped as easily during Peach's Princess tenure.