Smash Fighters DOJO!!

Do you want us to create a Smash fangame?

• Yes

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • I’m not sure

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blitz the Hero

A grey cat with colorful eyes
I'm going to be very blunt, direct, and serious for my current critique of this project, because from how I see it, it's going to be doomed to fail if you keep this up. And I really hope this harsh critique doesn't fall on deaf ears this time around, after my sister has constantly pointed out that you're building idea upon idea without any actually results from the first and most important priorities.

If you want to make a legit game out of this, you absolutely need a basic foundation first, something you have repeatedly ignored concerns of in this thread in favor of creating ideas, ideas that aren't even close to even actual conception. You can't just constantly cram ambitious fancy idea on top of another amibitious fancy idea when you don't even have a base to build it off of. You don't even have a working single character, let alone, a basic character with basic moveset, let alone a working engine to work from, so honestly, what makes you think you can integrate online play with full Mii customization and 50 fully-fledged playable characters with a single character having different final smashes depending on what character he has sucked in out of the 50 if you can't even get a single character and basic attacks and making sure the game doesn't, like, break early on. You don't even have a main menu to showcase this game off to even start with.

Lay off the ambition and tone the hell down on your ideas. Make your game actually workable first rather than constantly attempting to integrate a lot of ideas that work only if you have a good structure to build it upon. Even more organized projects with a bigger team of people such as Super Smash Bros. Crusade or Rivals of Aether have far smaller ideas and content than your hypothetical game has, but they're much more impressive than your ideas since they're actually real projects and not just an amalgamation of hypothetical concepts and ideas.

I'm not writing this to demotivate any of you of course, but sometimes, you have to let reality set in. You've already posted how difficult it is for animations just for Mario, now imagine doing that sort of thing with 50+ characters.
Final Smashes, Fighters, Stages and the Adventure mode are base content. Stuff like little details (we can’ confirm Mii customization just yet) will be included if we can. Everything needs to be planned. I am not making this observation less, I wanted to clarify. Characters, their movesets and gimmicks, Stages and their gimmicks, Final Smashes and Story Mode, its stages, story, location and characters are part of the base game. We cannot confirm the following:

— Smash —
- Special Smash
- Super Sudden Death
- Tournament
- Items

— Solo —
- Home-Run Contest
- Mii Fighters

— Vault —
- Replays
- My Music
- Challenges
- Milestones

— Story Mode —
- Special Stages

We can de-confirm the following:

— Smash —
- One-Button Melee

— Solo —
- Race to the Finish
- Smash Run
- Stage Builder

— Story —
- Spirits
- Stickers

Also, DO NOT EXPECT THE GAME TO RELEASE SOON. This will take some years (About 4). Before you tell me, the game only needs to enter development phase so you can see proof of its existence. We’ll use a test character in a test stage. We’ll first need to get the engine working and we can proceed to make a test character and a test stage. After the test character and stage are shown to you alongside the engine, we can then start with the characters. Thank you @Penguin Mario and @Dark Light for your comments on the game.

Astayanax

Cheep Cheep
Final Smashes, Fighters, Stages and the Adventure mode are base content. Stuff like little details (we can’ confirm Mii customization just yet) will be included if we can. Everything needs to be planned. I am not making this observation less, I wanted to clarify. Characters, their movesets and gimmicks, Stages and their gimmicks, Final Smashes and Story Mode, its stages, story, location and characters are part of the base game. We cannot confirm the following:

— Smash —
- Special Smash
- Super Sudden Death
- Tournament
- Items

— Solo —
- Home-Run Contest
- Mii Fighters

— Vault —
- Replays
- My Music
- Challenges
- Milestones

— Story Mode —
- Special Stages

We can de-confirm the following:

— Smash —
- One-Button Melee

— Solo —
- Race to the Finish
- Smash Run
- Stage Builder

— Story —
- Spirits
- Stickers

Also, DO NOT EXPECT THE GAME TO RELEASE SOON. This will take some years (About 4). Before you tell me, the game only needs to enter development phase so you can see proof of its existence. We’ll use a test character in a test stage. We’ll first need to get the engine working and we can proceed to make a test character and a test stage. After the test character and stage are shown to you alongside the engine, we can then start with the characters. Thank you @Penguin Mario and @Dark Light for your comments on the game.
can the mii fighters hawe their own signature moves

Blitz the Hero

Blitz the Hero

Look, the base game is the base game. @Dark Light is right, this draws the line from telling you about the base game and making promises all around. Sorry.

Blitz the Hero

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
Wiki Patroller
You misunderstand my post. What I meant by basic content is a working foundation to begin with. That means the following:
  • Physics, collision, frame-rate, programming, bug cleaning, cleaning up crashes, etc. How the game actually feels to play, which should be the meat of your game creation progress. Not adding modes such as Break the Targets or Adventure Mode, both which need a foundation to even function to begin with.
  • AI. You will need to program effective AI, one that is balanced to be both fun and challenging to play against.
  • Sprites. You're going to have to draw a lot of sprites if you want a presentable character and this is by far the longest part of the character creation process. A decent walk cycle requires at least 4 frames, more if you want to make it look better (the character I made for Crusade has 6). You're going to have to make run cycles too (since Smash distinguishes between running and walking) and animations for virtually all actions in the game, such as jumps, crouches, tilts, smashes, aerial moves, all specials, grabs, etc. This is not to say you need to make animations such as victory, taunts, and battle entrances. Final Smashes are NOT part of a character's basic moveset, Smash had survived the first two games without them, and you can even play without them. Flashy finishers should be reserved dead last.
  • Environment design. You will have to design all stages yourself at some point, and they must be presentable. Stage hazards shouldn't even enter the picture until you get a Battlefield/Final Destination clone at least functional.
Gimmicks shouldn't even begin to enter the picture yet. Make a working game first, THEN add gimmicks later.

Stuff like Final Smashes and adventure mode and a story mode? That's not basic content. That's supplementary features that are further in the development process. You think about those only after you actually get at least two fighters in a working stage in the game.

Blitz the Hero

I’m not going to argue anymore.

Dark Light

Cherries and Berries
Wiki Patroller
If you want to get a feel for character creation, try making a custom fighter for Super Smash Crusade, like what I did with Dark Light, it's actually not that difficult to even sprite swap and change some properties around in their files. Even so, I already had a strong foundation rather than being built from the ground-up, but it sheds a great deal of perspective of how time-consuming it is to get one character in the game. While it's true that most of your sprites have fan-sprites made for them since they are from official properties, some of them like Blitz, Mija, and Chroma Key require spriting everything about them yourself.

Penguin Mario

🐧Penguins. Lots of them.🐧🐧🐧🐧
You misunderstand my post. What I meant by basic content is a working foundation to begin with. That means the following:
  • Sprites. You're going to have to draw a lot of sprites if you want a presentable character and this is by far the longest part of the character creation process. A decent walk cycle requires at least 4 frames, more if you want to make it look better (the character I made for Crusade has 6). You're going to have to make run cycles too (since Smash distinguishes between running and walking) and animations for virtually all actions in the game, such as jumps, crouches, tilts, smashes, aerial moves, all specials, grabs, etc. This is not to say you need to make animations such as victory, taunts, and battle entrances. Final Smashes are NOT part of a character's basic moveset, Smash had survived the first two games without them, and you can even play without them. Flashy finishers should be reserved dead last.
And that's later down the line, I emphasize. I again point to using placeholders and pre-made sprites by others (Nintendo games included) if you feel overwhelmed by making sprites.

btw if you're still overwhelmed by this list, take it down a notch. try making a character for Super Smash Bros. Crusade perhaps?

Blitz the Hero

Well, name changed. There’s actually a mod for Brawl names Smash Infinite so the name’s taken. This is the new name.

Blitz the Hero

Yoshi the Yoshifan

A Calvin and Hobbes fan since 2017
And that's later down the line, I emphasize. I again point to using placeholders and pre-made sprites by others (Nintendo games included) if you feel overwhelmed by making sprites.

btw if you're still overwhelmed by this list, take it down a notch. try making a character for Super Smash Bros. Crusade perhaps?

Thanks for the help! I think this is a good idea. But it still has to pass the Blitz-the-Hero-Detector-of Flaws-0180