Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooded Pitohui

The Bird with Batrachotoxin!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
AA_Miles_Edgeworth_Annoyed_1.gif

I... I see. While I cannot dismiss Miss Piggy, as an exemplary character and or as a model of porcine influence in media, I still find it difficult to believe so few of you have come to realize the utility of chickens. What a true shame this is. After all the arguments presented in favour of chickens, you continue to align with the swine.

Well, there is nothing left to do but to make a final push. So for you chicken chasers, you rooster respecters, and you avian aficionados, I am prepared to lead us in our closing arguments. Let's look now at the pre-prepared argument I constructed for this event!

Closing Argument: The Utility of Chickens

How many different uses can you think of for a pig, pray tell? You can make pork out of them? You can... watch them? Have them search for truffles for you? Bah! What pitiful creatures. Consider all that a chicken can do for you!

• Chickens can provide you with eggs.
  • Chickens can provide you with meat.
    • It can be light meat.
    • It can be dark meat.
    • Bake it, fry it, boil it, broil it, grill it. What can't you do with chicken?
  • You can have a chicken hold your camera.
  • They're just cute to watch and fun to have around, providing a source of joy and entertainment.
  • On top of all of that, chickens provide this utility with a smaller carbon footprint than do cows and... pigs!
  • Need I also remind you that the humble chicken egg plays a key role in the biotechnology and medical industry? As just one example, remember that eggs are used in the production of the flu vaccine!

So you see, chickens are more than just sources of meat, unlike pigs, which immediately and indisputably makes them more valuable. If you have limited resources and the apocalypse strikes, better to have a collection of chickens that can provide meat and eggs than pigs which only provide meat.

What's that, you say this was a weak argument? Well, recall, I prepared these in advance, and many of the points I could make have been brought up by other participants. I thank you, all of you supporters of chickens, for all the points you have brought up, as entertaining and educational they have been. The rest, I leave to you, but...

There are a few individuals I need to call upon.

And what can you say of the chicken's versatility? Fried? Grilled? Yeah, I thought that's all you have to say. You make me weep. And that's ignoring the sheer artform of preparing the pig for consumption; the Italians possess centuries-old cellars devoted to nothing but curing fine sausages, while in comparison, I've seen rusty latrines cleaner than certain fried chicken grease traps.
Shout_tyotto.xi_uk.png

Ah, Mariofan, you apparent connoisseur, you were one of the earliest to bring up food in this context. Yet, you savagely attack the chicken for having few unique methods of preparing chicken while praising pigs for being prepared in a great variety of ways...

Yet, it seems that even a cursory search on Wikipedia for lists of dishes involving chicken will turn up a diversity of methods of chicken preparation. From kebabs to... less savoury methods of preparing barbequed chicken... whatever you might think of, it is here.

AA_Miles_Edgeworth_Court_Confident_2.gif

It seems to me, Mariofan, that your point is moot. Chicken preparation is just as much an artform, with just as many varieties, as pig preparation. Furthermore, not only are chickens prepared in a great variety of ways, but they have multiple food franchises dedicated entirely to serving them (generally in fried form). Beyond some hole-in-the-wall pulled pork barbeque joints, do pigs have such esteemed representation? I think not.

Ah, and... Mr. Nitwit, you, professed proponent of all things pork and porcine... I have a question for you...

AA_Miles_Edgeworth_Court_Desk_Slam.gif

This quote is an accurate one, yes?

You. Mr. Nitwit, confess that the character Hibiki Tachibana, is a likeable, character. Nay, you go further and imply that it would be difficult for anyone to dislike her... So, Nitwit, I'm very glad to have your support, then. Let's consider the facts. Epic Nitwit has provided his endorsement of Hibiki Tachibana. A quick search will reveal that Hibiki Tachibana and Kanade Amou were designed with the motif of a mother hen and a baby chick in mind. Ergo, take it from Mr. Nitwit himself that characters with chicken motifs and inspirations are worth supporting, and chickens, then, are worth supporting.

It's not worth pretending that this means you yourself, Nitwit, are a chicken supporter, but if even he can see the greatness of characters inspired by chickens, perhaps it's worth, for all of you, taking a second look at chicken-inspired characters, hmm?

Ah, now, the rest truly is up to you, you chicken supporters! I implore you to get as many voices from the community as you can involved. Remember, pigs may have won twice the extra points for the effort category, but that is only one category. We can win on votes and endorsements alone, if you get enough allies to make a short endorsement post in the thread and cast their final vote for chickens!

Last edited:

Dimitri A. Blaiddyd

The Boar Prince
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
'SHROOMFEST STORY PROGRESSION
CHICKENS VS PIGS

After giving the second wave of extra points, Ninja Squid had gone to try the racing track in Moo Moo Meadows (yes for some strange reason, there was a racing track there, even the farm got one!). And here I thought the meadows were boring places. Roserade or should I say His Majesty the Emperor Roserade I, has chosen to set up its base close to a lake not far away from the barn. Well, that's mostly because Hooded Pitohui took control of the barn first for his team. The second round of attack had just passed and each of the teams prepared for the final blows, and everyone put their energy into the final preparations.

Meanwhile, a farm worker cried for help.​

Toad: Help! Help! Please, help!

Hooded Pitohui: Can we help you, liiiiiiitle Toad?

Toad: This is horrible!!!!!

Hooded Pitohui: What is happeniiiiiiing?

Toad: Some of our chickens came out of their enclosure. We must find them quickly!

Hooded Pitohui: That's all? Well, I am pretty sure we, chicken supporters can help you. I am pretty sure it's those pig supporters with their nasty triiiiicks. Us chiiiiiiiicken supporters would never do that!

Toad: Thank you, Mr. Toady. Be careful! One of them is very dangerous, so something bad could happen!

Hooded Pitohui: What's dangerous about iiiiiit?

Toad: If someone mistreated or hit it. A giant wave of chickens will come to attack us! We must not let that happen.

Hooded Pitohui: A giant wave of chiiiickens will attack us. So Mr. Squid the judge was right. Chiiiiicken can be a reliable weapon after all. I must tell that to my supporters. We will come to your aid Mr. Toad.

Toad: Uh... Oh, thank you! Thank you!

The Emperor Roserade was looking at Pitohui from a distance, and was wondering what the Toady was discussing with the Toad.​

Roserade: What is he doing there? If he tries to play a trick on me, I must gain the upper hand by any means necessary.

Roselia: Your Majesty, there you are!

Roserade: Uh... Who is this?

Roselia: I am the special envoy from the Imperial Palace, Your Majesty. I am here to update you on the latest happening with the Imperial Troops #4

Roserade: Oh! The troops I sent to Rogueport...

Roselia: Indeed, Your Majesty. All is going well with the Imperial Troops, but we heard some strange reports about the troops.

Roserade: What is it?

Roselia: According to some locals, there's a strange bell located in the Creepy Steeple not far from Twilight Town that has the power to transform people into pigs. We are currently investating this matter as of now.

Roserade: Ha! Now, that's funny. Wait... Transforming people into pigs, uh? Now now... That could be something interesting! Special Envoy, I've got a new order for the troops!

Roselia: What is the order, Your Majesty?

Roserade: Once you found that bell, please bring it to me immediately! I will make use of my contact so that I can operate this bell. Be quick, we don't have time to loose. Bring some of my supporters with you for helping you and the troops in this matter.

Roselia: Understood, Your Majesty. Please, take care of yourself!

Roserade: If arguments can't convince those fowls, then perhaps I could go with a physical approach instead! Mwahaha! Oh, Pitohui, you don't know what's coming, or should I say Pigohui!

-----​
From now on, the conclusion of the story will be different and will depend on the winning team. It's time for your last push. All the points are important now.

Last edited:

Vera Misham

Ace Artist
Ah, and... Mr. Nitwit, you, professed proponent of all things pork and porcine... I have a question for you...

This quote is an accurate one, yes?

You. Mr. Nitwit, confess that the character Hibiki Tachibana, is a likeable, character. Nay, you go further and imply that it would be difficult for anyone to dislike her... So, Nitwit, I'm very glad to have your support, then. Let's consider the facts. Epic Nitwit has provided his endorsement of Hibiki Tachibana. A quick search will reveal that Hibiki Tachibana and Kanade Amou were designed with the motif of a mother hen and a baby chick in mind. Ergo, take it from Mr. Nitwit himself that characters with chicken motifs and inspirations are worth supporting, and chickens, then, are worth supporting.

It's not worth pretending that this means you yourself, Nitwit, are a chicken supporter, but if even he can see the greatness of characters inspired by chickens, perhaps it's worth, for all of you, taking a second look at chicken-inspired characters, hmm?

Ha...! Looks like someone has been spending too much time with Trite... you're beginning to pick up his tendency to reach for ridiculous conclusions!

Yes, I like Hibiki Tachibana. However, what your screenshot does not show is any kind of comment on either Kanade or the mutual relationship between Hibiki and Kanade. Furthermore, nothing in the show itself overtly links Hibiki to chickens, so to say endorsing Hibiki is the same as endorsing chickens is a stretch at best.

But, let's play your game. I made a passing remark about Hibiki that I like her, without much elaboration or passion. I have here an example of a character that favours pigs over chickens, who Pito favours enough to not only change his forum and discord theme to her, but also went to the effort of roleplaying as her for almost an entire Killing Game AND another separate roleplaying game on this forum. During the seventh episode of the anime she is from, in a conversation where others talk about trying to hatch a chicken from an egg, here is what her contribution is:
pigs.PNG
That's right, everyone. Sayaka Kanamori, a character that Hooded Pitohui clearly endorses, is shown to be someone who clearly, canonically and irrefutably favours pigs over chickens. So, ahem... "Ergo, take it from Mr. Nitwit Pitohui himself that characters with chicken pig motifs and inspirations are worth supporting, and chickens pigs, then, are worth supporting."

The moral of the story is that people can like characters who are associated with the opposite team without it ever meaning much in the end. Also reminder that Miss Piggy already won the popular culture segment of this debate completely unchallenged.

I rest my case.

Klavier Gavin

Guilty Guilty Love
Forum Moderator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
One day remains in this futile feud. Give it up, Pitohui. You must surely understand that by the merits proposed in this thread, pigs should be the new mascot of Moo Moo Farms. Loveable and charismatic creatures that have truly made their mark on pop culture, what could be better?
Yet, the question remains: what of their cultural significance past media? Can pigs truly outperform chickens in every facet of their identity? To that end, I say: of course!

Article 3: Power to the Pig

sketch-1602453736137.png

Let’s look at how pigs are utilized and impactful on our world as we know it.

- Mariofan has already done a wonderful job of outlining for us pigs in the culinary arts. However, there’s still one thing that should be mentioned: gelatin! Gelatin is derived primarily from pigs, and it allows us to enjoy such cuisine as pudding, Jell-O, and marshmallows. Such tasty treats does the pig provide!
- Our worship of the pork-tastic meats did not begin in modern times. Even the ancient Romans heralded the pig as supplying the greatest meat!
- The medical world sees its utilization of pigs through skin grafting, providing a new layer of skin for burn victims. I’d dare you to try using chicken skin for this same purpose!
- Not only is the transplanting of skin being utilized, but researchers are looking into the potential transplanting of pig organs into humans. That’s absolutely remarkable, isn’t it?
- Pigs have for centuries been worshipped in art. In Zhejiang, China, archaeologists have even found a pottery sculpture of a pig from the Neolithic era!
- In general, pigs have found numerous significant roles in religion. The Roman goddess Diana held the boar as one of her sacred animals, while a sow was a sacred animal for the Egyptian goddess Isis.
- Idioms for the pig are plentiful, much more than any for the chicken. Have you ever heard anyone call a motorcyclist a “road chicken”? The use of chicken only represents cowardness, while the pig can be used for jubilation just as much as it can be used for greed or disgust.

sketch-1602453479004.png

This is where my arguments close. I believe that, alongside my allies, Team Pig has stood to make the most compelling case for why pigs are the superior animal to chickens!
Let us end this war with haste! This is your last day to contribute to the ‘Shroomfest, so regardless if you’re Team Pig or Team Chicken, make sure to make your voice heard!

Hornet from Daytona USA

DAYTONA, LET'S GO AWAY
actually I think what team you support is very important to whether or not you should contribute because if you support the team I don't like then you shouldn't give more support for that team

Dimitri A. Blaiddyd

The Boar Prince
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
JUDGE'S SESSION #3

Alright, the debate is now coming to an end, but not before I get to judge the latest cases. Let's take a look a this.

First of all, I must say th- I... AAAAAAAAA! *cough*

I... *cough* *cough* Oh my! What... What is happening to me?! It looks like I can't control myself in some way... But... Ah, nevermind, let's get things done first, and I will worry about myself later.

Regarding the cases, and of all the utility of the chickens and the pigs, I think that the one that particularly stand out are the ones related to the medical industry. Such like how eggs are used in the production of flu vaccine, and how pigs are used through skin for burn victims or how researchers are looking into the potential transplanting of pig organs into humans.

Now, why the medical industry stand out to me, well, I really think that in times like these where we are struggling with a pandemic, and that healthcare professionals do their utmost every day, I think showing appreciation for their hard work must be recognized.

Now, what between all of these is what I would consider the strongest case? That might be hard to judge since to me they are all importants. But, I would say that using pigs for their skin and organs show once again how the pigs are committed to their job, and how chickens can once again hide behind their eggs really... Seems like the swine can't get a rest.

But, even without that, I do feel like behind able to use pigs though skin for burn victims, or for potential transplanting of organs into humans, would benefit a person enormously and bring them a better life in some way. So, because of that, I think pigs once again take the bonus points for this.

Also, congratulations Team Pigs, you were able to win all of the bonus points! That's an incredible showcase from your part.

PIGS WIN +3 EXTRA POINTS TO EFFORTS

----
With that said, this is where the Chickens vs Pigs 'Shroomfest Debate ends. I would like to thank each of you for your participation in this debate, and on behalf of the 'Shroom staff, we hope you enjoyed participating in this activity, and that it gives you a better idea of the importance and utility of chickens and pigs.

Now, when it comes to results and who officially wins the title of the superior farm animal, be sure to read the section "'Shroomfest Highlights" in Issue 163 on saturday! This section will provide an overview of the best cases and posts from this debate for both teams, the results, the ending story, and a special write-up from both the judge and the winning team leader.
----
For now, we just have to wait patiently for the results. Judd is coming back to showcase his little dance, but he came, accompanied by Li'l Judd! 😻

See you next time!

'SHROOMFEST DEBATE ROUND 2 - END

Last edited:

Dimitri A. Blaiddyd

The Boar Prince
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
BREAKING NEWS
REPORT BY: THE 'SHROOM RESEARCH LAB​

The 'Shroom Research Lab was able to prepare a detailed report which recounts the events that took place during the directorial meeting between Hooded Pitohui, Roserade and Ninja Squid. These events took place a few days after the war ended in the meadows of Moo Moo Farms and just before the mysterious disappearance of the Statistics Manager. The 'Shroom Research Lab are currently studying the strange phenomenon and we will come back to you at a later date for a more detailed report of the events. Thank you for your patience!

All right, are we ready for this directorial meeting? Pitohui, are you present?

*oink* *oink*

Wait a sec... Rose, don't tell me Pitohui is still a pig... I thought we had settled that... *cough* *cough* AAARGH!

Give me more time... At least, he doesn't bother anyone that way with his bad opinions.

Still... *cough* OUCH! *cough* It's... It's not a reason to... to...

NS, are you all right? You really seem unwell since a couple of days...

*oink*

Yeah... Don't... worry... I... AAAAAAAAARRGHHHH!!!!!!!

NS! What's wrong!!

NS, ANSWER ME!

What the... What kind of language is that?

*COMMUNICATION LOST*

Communication lost? Pitohui! We need to find what happen to NS. NOW!

*oink* *oink* *oink*

*sigh* Well, perhaps I should find a way to revert you back first.

'SHROOMFEST: ISSUE 165
December 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.