Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Tournaments ∙ Sign-ups close Friday!

Lakituthequick

Celestial Guide
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee

Hello there ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to Mario Kart 8 Deluxe versus and battles!
I am your host again, name's Lakituthequick!

So how will this tournament go?
Races and battles will happen in groups of up to 10 people, depending on the amount of sign-ups. The amount of people that will move on will also be slightly dependant on the sign-ups, but will most likely be 3 or 4.

When will this happen?
Currently, the planning for the MK8D tournaments to happen is from 20 July to 9 August, with the versus and battle tournaments interweaved as they fit. When specific people race is to be determined, also with availability and flexibility of the participants in mind. You will receive a survey prior to the event to indicate your availability in these periods.

What are the versus rules?
Races will be 150cc, with All Items. On the course selection screen, you shall only choose for Random Course. This does not apply in the ultimate race, where you instead have to choose the Rainbow Road that was predetermined by public vote.
There will be four races, but depending on the amount of sign-ups, there may be more to compensate for fewer players.

What are the battle rules?
Battles will be without teams, with Normal Items. Battles will be 4 minutes. On the course selection screen, you shall only choose for Random Course.
There will be four battles, but depending on the amount of sign-ups, there may be more to compensate for fewer players.

Which Battles Modes will be used?
The following modes will be used: Bob-omb Blast, Shine Thief, Balloon Battle and Coin Runners, in that order. One mode is used per round, so everyone in the same round will have the same mode. That means that if there are three rounds, including finals, Coin Runners will not appear this year.

I'm missing Renegade Roundup.
Good observation. Renegade Roundup is the oddball because it requires teams, as well as having a scoring system that gives The Law an advantage even if The Renegades win.

How do we communicate during the races?
Either a Discord server/group, or an IRC channel, depending on if everyone participating has an account on Discord and the amount of sign-ups. This point will be updated with either an invite link or IRC instructions when that gets clear.
I will be in all races to act as referee and note down the results as well.

How do we connect in-game?
While Mario Kart 8 Deluxe does have Tournament functions on its own, we shall not be utilizing those during the tournament. Instead, we will make use of the Friend Room functionality. This allows for more flexibility, longer lobby times and other things.

Wait, this requires Nintendo Switch Online, I don't have that.
No problem, I will give you access to a shared family plan for the races you are in if you don't have NSO yourself. This will require me to know the email address you are signed up with for My Nintendo. Don't worry, I won't share it with anyone else!

I'm interested, how do I sign up?
Very simple, post below with the name on your profile, your Nintendo Switch friend code, your timezone (be mindful of daylight saving times, or state where you live on a regional level and I'll figure it out for you) and whether you're joining versus, battles, or both. Also tell whether you have NSO of yourself, or need access to the family plan.

Sign-ups

Lakituthequick
fantanoice
YoshiFlutterJump
Zange
Fazer
Luigi 64DD
Turboo
Crackin355
Alex95
???
???
???
???

Last edited:

Kersti

YoshiFlutterJump
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
I'll sign up for both races and battles. Here's hoping this goes better than the last one!

Name: Garrison
FC: Copy it from one of the other threads
Have NSO
Time: EDT (UTC-4)

Beedle

WOW!
Luigi 64DD
CDT
Joining both Vs. and Battle
Have NSO already

I don't need to give the friend code as we're friends on the Switch already, yes?

Lakituthequick

Celestial Guide
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
I don't need to give the friend code as we're friends on the Switch already, yes?
That's true, no real need to in this case.

On that note...

Finnaly got switch online working.
Gonna race. Use my info from smash.
You will either need to provide me your FC, or you need to send me a friend request on Nintendo Switch.

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator
Don't have the game at the moment, but I may just go out and buy it just to partake in the tournament. I'll keep you posted.
Turns out I don't have the money for it right now, and won't be able to get paid before the tournament. Maybe next year.

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Helo im gaming this year both race and battle

turb
i think we're switch friends from previous years
arizona
both

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator
If you're willing to wait a day or two after the tournament is supposed to start, I'll be able to get the game. I get paid on the 21st, literally the day after ^^; Totally understand if that doesn't work out.