Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 2020

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator
I was initially going with Swiss, but then Challonge gave me different rules than what I was expecting.
I can actually bump up the rounds to the full seven, but that might make coordination between everyone difficult. 🤔

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
me and mayanryan signing up for doubles our info is in the thread

Team name: Blue Eagle Strike Force

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator
Alright, with three teams, I have a reason to make a doubles tournament bracket now: https://challonge.com/o5rjcsv9

8 people.

Yes that means I can still give everyone a can of whoop ***!
Wait,,....No.....I can’t becuase @Alex95 didn’t update the list so there is an odd number. ****!
I lied, all players can still play. There will just be one person who doesn't end up playing that week due to the odd number of players. I'm still learning my way around this ^^;

That said, we will be doing all the rounds Challonge provides. So currently seven rounds for singles tournament and three for the doubles tournament. Whoever wins the most rounds will be the winner. Any ties will be decided by another match between the tied players.

Kanade Amou

Croitzal ronzell Gungnir zizzl
Signing up for singles with the following information;

Forum name: Kanade Amou
Switch name: Snack
FC: SW-1793-4482-7996
Time zone: Eastern Daylight Time
Hours: Flexible but nighttime EDT (8pm–4am) on any day works best

Also signing up for doubles with Toadbert as team Bert Loaf.

I don't have tb's information and he went to sleep so I can get it later or he can post it. He's Bert and I'm Loaf.

Graphic design is my passion

Deimos

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff
singles and ready to mingles
will get info later

time to tip the scales

Thamiel

Everlasting Godstopper
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
signing up for singles
The Pyro Guy
switch name: TPG
SW-5186-2405-5711
time zone: BST
availability: I should be around from 8am-10pm BST except for wednesdays and sundays, where I am around for 8am-8pm

also löded diper is back baby! starkuss is joining me for doubles
forum name: Starkuss
switch name: Starkuss
SW-1595-8380-3420
time zone: BST
availability: Same as me (8am-10pm, apart from wednesdays and sundays where it's 8am-8pm, and every other sunday he can't do 10am-2pm)

BBQ Turtle

Crazy sponsors lady.
Wiki Administrator
I'd suggest cutting it down a bit as well, we'd almost certainly go past the end of the awards with 15 weeks and that's assuming no one else joins up.

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
"There will be 5 rounds for each tournament, with 10 days between rounds to complete sets. If you fail to complete a round, it may count as a round forfeit. If it happens more than once you may be removed from the tournament. If everyone completes their matches early, the next round will start immediately and will have the leftover days be added on to the round time (For instance if Round 1 finishes 5 days early, Round 2 will be 15 days).

The tourney will use a Swiss system to find similarly ranked teams to play against in best-of-3 sets. For those unfamiliar how it works:
  • The first team you will fight against will have a similar collaborative rank to your own.
  • Afterwards, you will face off against teams with similar win-loss records in an attempt to rank up.
  • You will never fight the same opponent twice in the same tournament.
This means that even if you lose a match, you're still able to play in future rounds! "

for reference from last year, this would make a lot more sense instead of having literally everyone play literally everybody else

Tressa Colzione

You got more than you bargained for!
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
i'd be okay with a couple more rounds this time around but yeah having everyone fight everyone seems like it might get exhausting

to put it in perspective, if you did 15 rounds and each round was 1 week, we'd end in mid-September

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator
Swiss is kind of the same thing as Round Robin, but it's based on your score to determine who you are paired with in later rounds. At least from what I understand. Round Robin is everyone fights everyone, but it can go a while without limits.

BEEEEEAAARRRS

how about a rousing game of pool
Here's my missing info, and that i'll be signing up for singles

Toadbert

SW-5121-0331-7938

Monday to Thursday - I get these days off but I never know for sure when I might be busy, I'll do my best
Friday to Saturday - Probably like 8-9 CST (Not ideal at all, I get like two hours inbetween shifts, but if nothing else works I can play on these days)
Sunday - After 8 CST

I've never set up a bracket personally but I'd suggest a couple more rounds, like 5-6 total, in singles if possible

Also- I'd be okay with doing Round Robin style for doubles, since there's not a crazy amount of teams, but that might be better decided by a vote

And just to nitpick a bit-

In regards to the stage list, is there a reason we're missing four legal stages? Kalos, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, and Unova are allowed at most tournaments I've seen.

And also, a number of Omega and Battlefield variants are typically banned for a number of reasons (there's a big list of them on Smashwiki)

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator
And just to nitpick a bit-

In regards to the stage list, is there a reason we're missing four legal stages? Kalos, Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Story, and Unova are allowed at most tournaments I've seen.
I can add them.

And also, a number of Omega and Battlefield variants are typically banned for a number of reasons (there's a big list of them on Smashwiki)
Some of the reasons seem too strict to me, but I understand the 2D plane issues of Flat Zone and Pac-Land, so I'll add those. In regards to blast zone heights of some stages, I'll leave that to player discretion.

Ok. WTF is round robin?
Round Robin is everyone fights everyone, but it can go a while without limits.