Super Mario Maker 2 Story Mode Levels

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
SMM2 has a substantial amount of official story mode levels that we need to examine for any ripe nominations for M25 Favorite 2D Mario Level and F2 Worst 2D Level. I'll try to do this myself too if I have available time this week, but what I recommend is just crawling through other online reviews, forums, subreddits, let's plays, and whatever to get a vague feel for what other people have strong opinions about.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Editing in some thoughts unrelated to LM ghosts: because the list of Mario Maker courses is so long, as evidenced by the list in the other thread, should there be consideration towards making "Favorite Nintendo-Made Mario Maker Course" an award? I'm not necessarily for or against the idea, it's just a thought I had the other day that I remembered
This is a valid alternative, as well. There would logically be definition overlap between that potential award and M25/F2 (and excluding MM courses from those as a result) but is that something we care about?

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Otherwise, having a hard time finding levels that people actually like as a course, and instead only seeing people liking levels for grinding coins on.

Reko Yabusame

I love theming after games I have never played!
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Superchao
I think spinning off Mario Maker courses into their own award would be a good award. We could keep it up for this year, or two years, as a game-specific award (like the Odyssey awards) while the SMM2 vibe is still strong

Hooded Pitohui

The Bird with Batrachotoxin!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
Unfortunately, I don't have much I can add to the discussion other than to echo what Perch has said. While I don't think there's much in the way of strong opinions on these levels, there are enough of them and the Super Mario Maker games are (especially with the new World Maker update) still relevant enough that we could get a short-term Award out of this. We could try it for a year. If it doesn't attract many votes, we replace it next year. If it does, perhaps it has one more year in it after that.

It's worth noting that, unless we restrict this to SMM2 specifically, we'd more than likely have to include not only the Super Mario Maker 2 story mode levels, but also the first title's sample courses, and the Event Courses.. There's a blessing and curse to that. It's more options to sift through, but the event courses are more memorable owing to their themes.

Mostly, though, I bring that up to say that, if we include the Event Courses, we'll want to be careful with how we choose to define the Award. It would be easy to call these "Levels from Super Mario Maker or Super Mario Maker 2 that were made by Nintendo," but, technically speaking, not all of these were made by Nintendo's staff, so we may want to say "levels from Super Mario Maker or Super Mario Maker 2 that were endorsed as official levels by Nintendo or something similar." Obviously, we'd have to alter Rose's proposed title, too.