Come into this topic if you need help

Min-Min

Xie-xie
I have hyper-empathy, I can't stand to see the innocent suffer, so much has happened and there is no place where I can go to avoid hearing about it, I am probaby going to shut down from overload soon

Ray Trace

You have entered the comedy area.
I agree with you, and I strongly support our troops for those reasons. They deserve better than satisfying the ego of some awful president.

Wallop

Jump at every opportunity, Live for the moment!
I have hyper-empathy, I can't stand to see the innocent suffer, so much has happened and there is no place where I can go to avoid hearing about it, I am probaby going to shut down from overload soon
As a tag group I'm in on Fb says, "not reading the comments is self care".
There's a lot of sensationalism happening online right now about it, it's best to remember people are just theorizing, and it might be best for your health to step away from those conversations, and not worry about assumed futures beyond our control. Allow ourselves to enjoy the present, as the worst may not even come.

Ray Trace

High key terrified of these bushfires. I'm not in a fire prone area thankfully but we've had some bad smokey days which has made it hard to breathe. PM has shown nothing but contempt. Feels like it's only a matter of time before it consumes us all.
As a southern Californian, I can definitely relate to this, and especially to the PM part showing contempt for the region affected (in this case, our awful, awful, terrible president). Has there been a terrible drought on top of that? If you're not in a fire prone area, you shouldn't have to worry about the fires themselves, hopefully the fire fighters will keep the fire under control so it doesn't reach residential areas. Just stay indoors and have the housing or buildings filter out the air so it's comfortable to breathe in.

Min-Min

Xie-xie
A reoccurring nightmare is me doing something I think is harmless, only for people to shout at me and shut me down when I try to explain myself, each dreams ends with me being shunned and falling in a black void

Wallop

Jump at every opportunity, Live for the moment!
I feel like I have no talent or any remarkable feature :\
On top of being talentless I'm also bad at being social irl.. I read peoples cues but I often can't deliver their desired responses. Body/face expressions don't come natural to me, and I have very little practice out of my own fear of intimacy.
I avoided my special interests half of my life due to being bullied in grade school, so I'm not even remarkable at what I love.
I feel like I'm a burden on everyone :\
Idk if these are problems non therapists could provide advice for, I understand if that's the case.

Dusk Lobber

sugar makes me so hyper? totes
yeah you do ive really liked you from what ive gotten to know
On top of being talentless I'm also bad at being social irl.. I read peoples cues but I often can't deliver their desired responses. Body/face expressions don't come natural to me, and I have very little practice out of my own fear of intimacy.
thats fine. just be yourself thats what counts. there are many people who are not good at body and face expressions, if you just put a little effort into it it will become second nature before long.
I avoided my special interests half of my life due to being bullied in grade school, so I'm not even remarkable at what I love.
what did you avoid? probably is never too late
I feel like I'm a burden on everyone :\
im sure you're not. what makes you feel this way?
Idk if these are problems non therapists could provide advice for, I understand if that's the case.
im not a therapist but meh im giving it my best

Min-Min

Xie-xie
You are no way a burden due to a bunch of asshole bullying you, society is way too hard on those who have differences they can't control, I was bullied a lot, I was even bullied online, I feel the same shame you feel, but we gotta keep striving till we are accepted

Revali

Koops, King of cowards.
I'm so sorry this has to happen to you. Losing a loved one is never easy, but to have that loved one be your mother is disheartening. I hope you'll be able to fully cope with reality someday, because I am sure that your mother, even as a memory, wouldn't want to be a burden to you if she saw you right now. Be strong for her. Don't make her absence an obstacle. I know you can do it.

Jinborov Karnovski

Strongman demigod.
On top of being talentless I'm also bad at being social irl.. I read peoples cues but I often can't deliver their desired responses.
I don't want to sound harsh but caring about other's desired responses a lot is not good and will make you feel more nervous. You should just give the responses you desire. You don't have to care or be worried by what others will think and go "oh no what will their response be? What if what I say does not please them? What if they end up hating me?". I once thought this way. I used to make bad jokes all the time and speak loudly at school out of nervousness so as to get the attention of others and be popular, but it did not end up working and it made me feel bad. But then I realized it was better to just relax and say what I wanted. It ended up working ironically, and I progressively felt more sure of myself, so now I feel good. It may sound bad at first, but the best thing you can do is to just be yourself and give the answers you please (but with respect obviously. Answers should be given to you with respect too. If someone's being an ass, it's better to just ignore him/her). As I see it, it's that simple.

If one does not practice/study for whatever he wishes to do, talent is meaningless.

Imagine a guy who's got talent to paint godly paintings but does nothing vs one who had less talent but has studied and painted for ten years. Who do you think will paint worse?

To improve, everything requires practice/study. Find something that interests you, something you really like. Picture how you would apply your new skills gotten in the future after practicing a lot (as in, in what job or as a hobbie) and then you'll have a clear goal. Your interests may change with time though, so you have to be sure of what you want to do.

(Did this help?)

Last edited:

Seteth

I have something to ask of you...
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Imagine a guy who's got talent to paint godly paintings vs one who had less talent but has studied and painted for ten years.
The first person in this hypothetical scenario does not exist. No one is born with an innate ability to greatness, least of all people who display great skill in a craft.

What most people perceive as "talent" is merely a person's personal interest and passion for a subject, multiplied by their time spent practicing it. Passion will make practicing a craft less tedious and more fun, and thus yield comparatively faster results. Others will see this increase in results and, without having the necessary insight and perspective, conclude god gave them a magic ticket to excellency. This is nonsense.

The notion that an artist's talent is a divinely given perk rather than the result of perseverance and hard work is devaluing and actually somewhat insulting.

-----

In regards to the subject: It is my firm belief that everyone has the potential to be good at something. People who aren't either haven't discovered the thing that completes them yet, or something in their environment may be inhibiting them from recognizing it (for example, overbearing parents that tell them "(x) is not a real skill! You shouldn't waste your time with that and rather do (thing that society has accepted as constructive) instead").

However, even once the thing is found, one will not just automatically be good at it. Nurturing a personal interest into a skill takes time, patience, and work.

My advice is this: Take some time to think and find a constructive hobby that makes you happy when you do it. Then do that for a few years and do not let yourself be discouraged by setbacks. You will improve, even if it doesn't immediately feel like it. Talent is not real, but experience is.

Dusk Lobber

my mom is super triggered at me for my school report being worse than usual. she thinks im being lazy, but im not being lazy, its a lot harder now than it used to be. sure im not doing super extension or anything, but extension means extension, i dont have to do it if it doesnt interest me. she thinks that me being interested in other things like well this site is harming it but its not harming it, i keep things in my life separate and i still try and improve at school. my report wasnt even bad its actually still good for this point and im sure ill be getting better grades in the exams themselves but yeah ive been threatened to like have all the stuff in my life that i love taken away from me because im not working hard enough, but i dont want that, and at the same time its not that i dont work hard enough (in the end, the report is to say what you can improve, not youre doing badly shame on you) or i dont care enough and yeah what shall i dio

Ray Trace

I hate parents who accuse their children of being lazy, I'd expect more support from her than just her throwing insults at you. What exactly do you need improvement on anyway?

Dusk Lobber

I can photograph my report once my mom has printed it off. I'll send it to you in a PM because I don't want my irl name going public rn

Min-Min

Xie-xie
Parents don't seem to understand that no one can be good at everything, additionally, unless you weren't there or weren't paying attention, the fault of not knowing what to do comes from the teacher failing to teach correctly, your parents should consider that

Dusk Lobber

unless you weren't there or weren't paying attention, the fault of not knowing what to do comes from the teacher failing to teach correctly
tbh I don't listen all the time tho should change that but it's not like ive been ignoring most of the lesson or anything that bad

my teachers are actually pretty good so i dont think that would be it

Douglas MacArthur

Old soldiers never die; they just fade away.
Yeah that isn't laziness. I am accused of the same thing by my own mother, which is being lazy. I mean I have passions I have to do. So I ain't no couch potato

Ray Trace

For me, I have attention span issues. Academic environments where you sit there for long periods of time for several hours straight are never my type of thing.

Douglas MacArthur

Same here Redshift. One time I played video games until 5:00 in the morning.

Revali

Koops, King of cowards.
Oh god I know exactly the kind of stuff you're going through, Miracle.

Situation's been similar on my end for some time now. For three years to be exact. Tbh even now, when we're at home taking online classes which makes it easier for them to monitor us, I still don't feel safe from any bad grades that may surface whether it is my fault or not and earn me hour-long lectures that are repetitive and never go anywhere. Doesn't help that I have two siblings who may be going down the same path and it makes me feel bad, like I'm doing something wrong here as an elder brother.

I hate the educational system and the grading system in particular. Such a dumb way to assess one's true understanding of things, and it can end up causing family drama. I hope things get better.

Douglas MacArthur

I also hate the grading system. If you fail a class, guess what? You repeat a grade. People are terrible at certain subjects. I was never a math person. And I nearly repeated a grade several times due to it.

Ray Trace

You can tell how mentally scarred I am by high school and my grades when despite it was 7 years since I graduated high school, I still get the nightmares from it.

Dusk Lobber

there isnt concern im going to fail my a levels, just not do well enough to get into a good university