Critic Corner Movie Night

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee

What:

Hey guys, for Issue 150 I'll be starting a Critic Corner Movie Night where I (or someone else) will host a viewing of some kind of movie, show, game, whatever! Following the results of the short poll I took in a previous 'Shroom issue, I have compiled a list of Things People Want To Watch:

Brooklyn 99
Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom
Mulan
Mean Girls
The Mask
Meet the Robinsons
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Love Live! Sunshine!! The School Idol Movie: Over the Rainbow
Evolution
Spider-Man (2002)

Out of this list, everything I have in bold is something I have current and immediate access to. I do have a basic Hulu package, Netflix, and Movies Anywhere (personal Disney collection, will be replace with Disney+ in November). I also have my own personal collection that I have received from Alternative Sources :bowser: that I could probably stream straight from my own screen. I may have access to the others, but it would take more work, finding it on other sites, or someone else hosting. And, of course, this list can be expanded upon or deviated from during any viewing!

Where:

With the recent downfall of rabb.it, it has been a little difficult finding an alternative, but luckily Kast popped up just in time. You are able to download the app on desktop for Windows or Mac, or can just use it in-browser so long as that browser is Chrome.

Here is a link to the Party I've set up so far. As I'm new to this and figuring out how the program works, things may change.

When:

Along with continuing to build on what we all want to watch together, for these Issue 150 viewings we need to settle on a schedule. Ultimately my own schedule will serve as the base for it, which is pretty predictable but still can change with each week. I am generally available to watch stuff:

Sunday: 4pm - 10pm EDT
Monday: 4pm - ??? EDT
Tuesday: All Day*
Wednesday: ??? - 10pm EDT
Thursday: 4pm - 10pm EDT
Friday: 4pm - 10pm EDT
Saturday: 4pm - 10pm EDT

These times may be relatively brief or inconvenient, and subject to whenever I am actually awake or not busy with something else, but can otherwise be somewhat flexible especially if someone else is able to take the reigns with hosting if people want to keep going after I have to go to bed or before I get back from work. As we get closer to 150's release, viewing times will get more and more sorted out as they're discussed here or wherever, and I'll update this OP with confirmed Movie Night times.

Bonus:

Now, the optional catch! With this being a celebration of The 'Shroom achieving its 150th issue, and part of Critic Corner's bit in celebrating this, I figured it would be neat that anyone who came and joined us in watching whatever we watch could write a little review to be put in a special section for Issue 151 or 152 (or others!). I don't expect people to do this, nor am I demanding that whatever is written be a whole fleshed-out section (although it can be if you want!), but just a little "hey we watched Mulan and I really liked all of the songs in it!" or something for a few sentences or paragraphs to show your support for our little monthly publication we work hard on year-round! I would really appreciate and enjoy anyone who takes the time to participate in this!!

If there are any questions, comments, concerns, anything at all feel free to post them in here or message me!

Last edited:

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Plenty of the other stuff on that list is available on Hulu, too, but requires a more expensive package; almost all of them the $45 monthly one. If people really want to watch Mean Girls and Meet the Robinsons and whatever and can't find me a copy of it anywhere else for free, they are welcome to cough up the funds :wario:

Doctor Healmore

Shine Sprite
Poll Committee
Plenty of the other stuff on that list is available on Hulu, too, but requires a more expensive package; almost all of them the $45 monthly one. If people really want to watch Mean Girls and Meet the Robinsons and whatever and can't find me a copy of it anywhere else for free, they are welcome to cough up the funds :wario:
Shame...Meet the Robinsons is my favorite movie of all time. Oh well.

Perhaps you have access to Wreck-it Ralph or one of the Toy Stories instead?

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Shame...Meet the Robinsons is my favorite movie of all time. Oh well.

Perhaps you have access to Wreck-it Ralph or one of the Toy Stories instead?
oh hey Meet the Robinsons is on Netflix, and Toy Story 3 I have, so I'll update my list. Wreck-it Ralph 2 is on Netflix as well, but none of the other Toy Stories. Here's a list of everything I have available in the Movies Anywhere; the Netflix catalog can be googled:

Lion King
Mary Poppins
The Incredibles
Bambi
Lilo & Stitch
Lilo & Stitch 2
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Solo
Avengers: Infinity War
Christopher Robin
Beauty and the Beast (Animated and Live Action)
Pinocchio
Finding Dory
Hercules
Big Hero 6
The Jungle Book (Animated and Live Action)
Zootopia
Pocahontas
Mulan
Aladdin
Aladdin and the King of Thieves
Aladdin: The Return of Jafar
Snow White
101 Dalmations
Cinderella (Live Action)
Inside Out
Sleeping Beauty
Toy Story 3

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
may i throw in for consideration, the cult classic 1977 film Hausu by Nobuhiko Obayashi, featuring this very cute cat:

unlike Salo, which was a joke recommendation, Hausu is a genuinely hilarious group watch that is simultaneously one of the most batshit crazy things you have probably seen. think of Birdemic, except with actual creativity and artistic design put into it. i did a group watch of this last year over at Minus World and got unanimously positive reactions from it. i swear it's really good

also, did i mention there's a really cute cat in the movie? and it's an actual important part of the story?

Wittgenstein

TLW-728 Supercomputer Prototype
My vote would go to Meet the Robinsons as I think that's an underrated movie (and coincidentally I'd been considering theming with one of the characters at some point).

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
I unfortunately do not, but it's possible someone else does.

Additionally, though, what are some times and dates that sound good for people to do this? Not every individual timeslot will work for everyone, so I will try to run this multiple times throughout the next few weeks, and potentially more in the future if we can get regular responses for short reviews 🤓

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
My schedule for next week comes out in a few hours. What times are looking good for everyone else?

Marie

If you find any good Marie fanart, send it here!
Here are my approximate available times. I'm in CDT, so I won't bother putting exact times since I'm only an hour earlier then you.
Friday the 20th: Late Afternoon and Evening
Saturday the 21st: Anytime
Sunday the 22nd: Evening
Monday the 23rd: Not available
Tuesday the 24th: Mid-afternoon (not preferred)
Wednesday the 25th: Maybe Late Evening (not preferred)
Thursday the 26th: Early to late afternoon
Friday the 27th: Maybe Late Evening (not preferred)
Saturday the 28th and Sunday the 29th are the same as the previous Saturday and Sunday except the Afternoon may be possible on Sunday

As for movies, I like the Mulan and Spider-Man suggestions. Hausu sounds fun too. As for my own suggestion, I'd say the first Indiana Jones, since I've never seen it and it's easily accessible on Netflix.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Even though none of you said Monday is good, that's when I'm gonna do the first viewing! Sometime around or after 5:00pm EDT on the 23rd is when I'm gonna start watching stuff. It'll kinda serve as the trial run to see how well it works and if there's anything I should change. To be seen is basically whatever the consensus is for people who show up.