Mario Kart 7 Time Trials Tournament - Final Results!

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator
Greetings everyone! I am Alex95, and welcome to the second annual Mario Kart Time Trials tournament! For those that didn't play or don't know of the Mario Kart 64 Time Trials tournament that happened last year, basically you're trying to get the best time in Time Trials over your opponents. No internet connection involved! As determined by voting in this thread, we will be playing

RULES
  • This will be a single elimination game. The person with the slowest time will be dropped from the tournament. Use your Mushrooms wisely.
  • I will select a course for us to race on at random. You must then try to get the fastest time on this course. Every course needs to be available, including retro courses.
  • Despite the above, the first course will be Toad Circuit and the last course will be 3DS Rainbow Road.
  • You are able to race the course as many times as you feel needed until you have a time you are satisfied with. Once you have a time, send proof of it to me (stream, photo, etc.) via board PM, Discord DM, or email, down to the millisecond.
  • You have a week to get in a time. If you don't send a time in by the end of the week, you will be disqualified. If this happens, the person with the slowest time sent in can still move on.
  • Times from before the tournament will not count! Only times raced during the tournament will be accepted.
  • The next race will start a week from when the last race started, regardless of when everyone sent in a time (so I don't overwhelm people in other tournaments).
  • How many races we do depends on the number of participants, including myself.
  • Last person remaining wins!

Limitations
  • Any version of this game is acceptable. English, Japanese, emulations, etc. So long as the game runs and is a perfect or near-perfect copy.
  • Cheats, hacks, and mods are not allowed. Glitches and race exploits (Wuhu Island skip, Bowser Castle 1 skip, etc.) are also not allowed, but intended race shortcuts are.
  • If there are any ties for last place, the person moving on will be decided by a coin flip, die roll, or something similar.

How do you partake in this tournament? Just post something in this thread signifying your interest, let me know what version you will be using, and then keep an eye on here for updates! Times will be posted after a week and then the next race will start.

The tournament will start on June 17th, so the Monday after E3, and will likely go into late July/early August depending on participants.

If you would also like to partake in an online Mario Kart tournament, do check out Lakituthequick's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe tournament once that's up!

Participants

Last edited:

Meta Knight

Victory is my destiny
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Re: Mario Kart 7 Time Trials Tournament - Sign Ups!

Sure. I just have a NA copy of the game.

Yoshi the SSM

I'm Yoshi the Space Station Manager from the wiki.

Signing up! North American Version.

Also which Rainbow Road? There is the 3DS Rainbow Road and the SNES Rainbow Road.

Doctor Healmore

Shine Sprite
Poll Committee

Yoshi the SSM said:
Also which Rainbow Road? There is the 3DS Rainbow Road and the SNES Rainbow Road.
LTQ holds polls in his tourneys to decide, so I expect that it'll be similar here.

And unfortunately, I can't sign up. Really wish I could, but my 3DS is busted and I don't think I can get a new one by the sign-up deadline. Sorry!

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator

Yoshi the SSM said:
The 3DS one, the one simply called "Rainbow Road". SNES Rainbow Road will be part of the random choices.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
And unfortunately, I can't sign up. Really wish I could, but my 3DS is busted and I don't think I can get a new one by the sign-up deadline. Sorry!
That's too bad. Maybe you can use someone else's, if there is another in your house?

Doctor Healmore

Shine Sprite
Poll Committee

Alex95 said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:
That's too bad. Maybe you can use someone else's, if there is another in your house?
Three of my siblings have 3DSs, but I doubt I'll be able to use them frequently enough to play this. Perhaps I could use an emulator, but I'm not sure if it will run at a playable speed and keyboard controls suck.

Best case scenario, I can round up more money so I can buy a $60 2DS before mid-June. But I'm afraid that's not too likely.

Zange

thriving on soul since 2017

Oooo yes. NA version.

Dr. Eggman

I am the enemy, I will succeed

should’ve been Super Circuit

I’m pretty sure my copy is the European version

BBQ Turtle

Crazy sponsors lady.
Wiki Patroller
Awards Committee

I'll sign up, please!
I think my copy's a European one.

Doomhiker

Spiny
Poll Committee

I will participate. I have a North American copy.

Roserade

"Write your way into his heart..."
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee

NA version

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator

Great turn out so far just within the first couple of days! There's already more people than the MK64 tournament :D

John Doe

Ace Ice Cream Salesman...?

a tournament where i dont have to worry about timezones and bad internet connection? sign me up! my copy is north american (despite me being in australia lol)

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator

Sign-ups will close this Friday evening!

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator
Re: Mario Kart 7 Time Trials Tournament - Begins Monday!

Sign-ups are now closed, races will begin Monday!

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator
Re: Mario Kart 7 Time Trials Tournament - Race #1 (Toad Circuit)

Time to start your engines! The Mario Kart 7 Time Trials Tournament begins now!

As mentioned in the opening post, the first race takes place on Toad Circuit! Be sure to send in proof of your times by Sunday!

EDIT: Realized I forgot to mention only times meant for this tournament will count! Older times will not be accepted.

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator
Re: Mario Kart 7 Time Trials Tournament - Race #2 (Wario Shipyard)

Round one has ended! Time for the results!

RankingNameTime
1Crackin3551.27.637
2Shy Guy on Wheels1.28.628
3Meta Knight1.28.933
4Alex951.29.205
5Yoshi the SSM1.29.545
6Doomhiker1.30.853
7BBQ Turtle1.30.856
8Epic Nitwit1.30.896
9Roserade1.32.622
10Chibiki Daisy1.35.614
11fantanoice-

Milliseconds made all the difference in the middle rankings, but Crackin355 pulled out ahead with almost a full second lead! Congrats!

Unfortunately, fantanoice was not able to send in a time within the deadline, so she has been disqualified and Chibiki Daisy can still move on.

With that, we move on to Round 2! We will be racing on... Wario Shipyard / Wario's Galleon!

Be sure to get in your times by Monday, July 1st, 9AM PDT, and the next round will start immediately then.

Roserade

"Write your way into his heart..."
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee

>ninth place

This is what happens when you play as a featherweight

Yoshi the SSM

I'm Yoshi the Space Station Manager from the wiki.

yeah. I was using a light character (Yoshi) to race in until I switched to Bowser and got sub 1:30 and got 5th.

I am surprised to see Fantanoice, the winner of the last MK time trial tournament, get last place. I wonder what happened that he didn't get in a time before the deadline...

Dr. Eggman

I am the enemy, I will succeed

I was concerned that my time may not have been that good and that it might have required some improvements, so it's nice to see that I actually got the second fastest time.

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator
Re: Mario Kart 7 Time Trials Tournament - Race #3 (Daisy Hills)

Round two has ended! Time for the results!

RankingNameTime
1Shy Guy on Wheels2.09.666
2Crackin3552.10.734
3Epic Nitwit2.12.403
4Doomhiker2.15.121
5Yoshi the SSM2.15.460
6Meta Knight2.17.656
7Alex952.18.967
8BBQ Turtle2.19.797
9Chibiki Daisy2.28.436
10Roserade-

Shy Guy on Wheels barely squeezes out a first place win! Congrats! Aside from Yoshi the SSM, everyone's places are different this round. Variety!

Unfortunately, Roserade was not able to send in a time within the deadline, so he has been disqualified and Chibiki Daisy can still move on.

With that, we move on to Round 3! We will be racing on... Daisy Hills!

Be sure to get in your times by Monday, July 8th, 9AM PDT, and the next round will start immediately then.

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator
Re: Mario Kart 7 Time Trials Tournament - Race #3 (Daisy Hills)

Bumping this week's deadline up to Wednesday, July 10, 9AM PDT so people can enjoy their holiday weekend! If everyone sends in a time before that anyway, the next round will start either on schedule or before the new time.