Suggestion Box

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Here's where to suggest any ideas for awards, nominees, tournaments, etc. Basically if you have an idea and it has anything to do with the awards ceremony or related processes, feel free to post it and we'll have a look at it and consider it and all that good stuff :bowser:

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Marchionne Evangelisti said:
https://www.marioboards.com/index.php?topic=40791.0
gonna need a bit more than that, my boy

if you would like to set up a tournament, you can start by checking out how other tournaments in the past were set up and provide us with some rules, guidelines, a timeline for the schedule, etc.

Emperor Belos

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Fawfulthegreat64
Just a small nitpick and it might be too late to change it this year, but I noticed the poll for lyrical songs reads "The best music track from a Mario or Mario spin-off game featuring intelligible lyrics" implying it's limited to games, when there are several poll options from shows. Perhaps that wording could be changed to "from Mario or spin-off media?"

Kontrast

Cons and Knees Don't Go Together
Wiki Patroller
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
can we just say "Mario-related media" for brevity?

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Rather than making a new thread we can continue using this one.

In a continuous effort to improve, please tell us things that could be changed, or new ideas, new awards, nominees, what worked, what didn't work, anything, we will look over everything posted in here.

*There was some talk of having more time to view presentations, including separate days for ceremonies, and 10 minutes between each presentation instead of 5. As long as I'm Director I am not going to allow either of those, because: separate days would be absolute hell for scheduling behind-the-scenes, and while it may be convenient for viewers, it would place an undue burden on the staff making it possible; and 10 minutes between presentations would instantly double the length of the whole ceremony, taking it from just about 5 and a half hours (3:00PM EDT - 8:25PM EDT) to 11 hours (~Noon - 11:00PM EDT ??). We've already increased the time between ceremonies with the spare time generated from dropping 5 awards, but I am open to making those and the intermission a little longer. An alternative would be stricter enforcement of the 5 minute presentation rule, but that's not an avenue I really want to go down any more than I already do.

Uniju

Hazukashii serifu kinshi
MarioWiki
Uniju :D
i said this earlier but we could rearrange presentations after they've all already been submitted to make sure long texts and videos don't end up next to eachother. i know some people make multiple presentations that connect to eachother or reference what was before/after them but if people knew from the start that the order wasn't set yet that wouldn't be a problem. also, i realize removing hammer bros from worst enemy might not be viable, but, maybe we could have a pop up that comes up when you try voting for them that makes fun of you and forces you to click a couple more times in order to actually do it?

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
We had 6 presentations that were turned in overnight into the day of the ceremony, and I didn't know what format they (/some) would be. The day before was about 15 left. In order to allow arranging the schedule after they're all turned in to avoid lengthy presentations together, I would either need to know the content of each presentation more than I'm already made aware of at the checkpoint, or people will actually have to turn them in on the deadline I give. Once that is accomplished, I can easily just take notes from people with multiple presentations who request they fall in a certain order.

YoshiFlutterJump

Power Star
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
YoshiFlutterJump
I noticed that, for worst game objective, people voted "one million coins" from NSMB2 to second place. However, a few other people wrote in the other "10 million coins" objective from the same game, and I'm sure we can all agree that that is the greater evil. Would it be viable to change "1 million coins" to "coin collecting" or "1,000,000/9,999,999 million coins" or something like that?

Additionally, in the same poll, I think 3D Land could be added to "Completing every course with every character (SM3DW)", as 3D Land has a similar objective, but only has two characters instead of five. It's not something unique to 3D World, even though 3D World has the worst of it.

Reigen Arataka

Greatest Psychic of the 21st Century (not conman)
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Luigi 64DD
I gotta say I liked the addition of Favorite Instrumental Track. Even though it can be hard to choose which songs are on the poll, I think it's a keeper.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
I think it may be possible to have links as the nominees in the poll. Whether it is possible or not to make the link words instead of the entire URL I don't know yet, as well as the potential upkeep and vigilance with ensuring the links remain accurate and active. It's something to look into to help make the awards more clear.

The Pyro Guy

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
I'd like to see opinions on hosting the chat party on the official Discord, likely in a channel created for that event. IRC is a classic but with pretty much all other community venues having migrated to the new platform, I'd like to suggest Awards take the same route.

I also saw a couple of new and veteran users having trouble getting into the IRC channel, being instantly disconnected or being unable to get in at all, etc. I know this is an issue with the widget rather than IRC as a service, but I'd rather that widget is changed or updated or the issue is negated via using Discord instead, rather than having users struggle with the IRC widget and being locked out of participation in the chat, even if they are able to understand that it's not IRC's fault.

I've seen people bring up the issue with how it's easier to archive IRC logs than Discord. There are a couple options for this- we can get a bot in the Discord channel to log and archive the chat party, create a channel category within the Discord server to host archived logs such as the chat party, or use Discord plugins to archive the messages rather than a bot. Hell, if it comes to it I could just Ctrl+A the channel and put it in a Pastebin. (I know copying Discord logs is harder than that but you get what I mean)

Reko Yabusame

I love theming after games I have never played!
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Superchao
what worries me, personally, is the possibility that discord will happen to choose awards day as the one day to go down for hours

with the irc widget the chat party continued relatively unabated due to only a particular method of access being unavailable temporarily

if the discord server should go down for whatever reason that would take the entire chat party with it

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
I'd like to know what the venue of Discord could provide for the Chat Party that is necessary or beneficial, relative to the ease of use of any new functions or mechanics given that the people running the show are more focused on the scripts and forum at the time. I will say that this is probably one of the better scenarios for Discord's infinite scrollback and history upon join.

As someone into graphic design and user experience, I am aware that each additional click discourages X% of people from continuing forth and participating, but I just personally can't get through to myself why the move is necessary when conversations flowed just fine in IRC, achieving the purpose. If the biggest issue is concerns with the Mibbit widget, then something else can be found with more ease than a full transition to another chat service. I did attempt to drum up conversation in Discord about Awards and no one seemed to give a shit. We left it open for people who wanted to try hosting something on Discord to do it and no one did or even tried. I'm not sure how either anecdotal or indicting that is, but I just want to see more support than some people who would rather not open a new tab but ended up doing it anyways, and "everyone else is doing it". If the pull isn't there enough for me to see it, I'm defaulting to staff preference for ease of use, and should it be Turb and I next year, that'll likely remain IRC. As much as there is to say for people being stubborn and sticking to Discord only, there's people stubborn and sticking to IRC only, and I think the path of least reasonable exclusion should be sought.

Should it fall into Discord's lap, I honestly don't see why we would need another channel for it, like how #mwikiawards in IRC hosts all of the meetings and the Chat Party. Meetings are public, anyways, it would just take an extra spurt of energy and focus to figure out who is a voting member of the AC and who isn't.

Maybe run both next year and see what happens? Maybe both is ultimately preferable to avoid any kind of tribalistic debate or feelings, and open it to the most people. I will repeat what I said the other day, though, that I'd prefer the focus being on the forum and in the ceremony threads.

Gabumon

Warlock of Hatsune Miku
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
I'd like to see opinions on hosting the chat party on the official Discord, likely in a channel created for that event. IRC is a classic but with pretty much all other community venues having migrated to the new platform, I'd like to suggest Awards take the same route.

I also saw a couple of new and veteran users having trouble getting into the IRC channel, being instantly disconnected or being unable to get in at all, etc. I know this is an issue with the widget rather than IRC as a service, but I'd rather that widget is changed or updated or the issue is negated via using Discord instead, rather than having users struggle with the IRC widget and being locked out of participation in the chat, even if they are able to understand that it's not IRC's fault.

I've seen people bring up the issue with how it's easier to archive IRC logs than Discord. There are a couple options for this- we can get a bot in the Discord channel to log and archive the chat party, create a channel category within the Discord server to host archived logs such as the chat party, or use Discord plugins to archive the messages rather than a bot. Hell, if it comes to it I could just Ctrl+A the channel and put it in a Pastebin. (I know copying Discord logs is harder than that but you get what I mean)
A couple of things in response to this.

Regarding the widget hiccup we encountered at one point during the ceremony: This was a freak accident that happened to occur at an unfortunate time. Our IRC venues are stable most of the time, and incidents like these occur VERY infrequently. I'm talking about maybe once in a year or so. Sometimes things just hit a snag at the worst possible moment, and nobody could have foreseen this. Moving to Discord would not negate the possibility of something like this happening either. Discord has outages and server issues as well, and they are equally as unpredictable. Moving for this reason would be equivalent to trying to negate chance by rolling a blue die instead of a red one.

And secondly, the question where to host the chat event was brought up during the meetings. The question "Are we ok with hosting this on IRC?" was posed, and there were no objections. When the actual suggestion of "Hey, why don't we host this on discord?" was brought up, it was one day before the ceremony. That's the day when all of us are up to our eyeballs in scheduling issues and last minute preparations. Uprooting the entire chat event and transplanting it onto a different platform was impossible on top of that, as we would have had to figure out how to translate all the organizatorial stuff to discord while everything around us is burning down.

It is entirely possible to host the chat event on Discord next year, in fact the general tone seemed to be that we're open to the idea, iirc. But there needs to be time to make this happen, and people need to communicate clearly.

The Pyro Guy

Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
I think it may be slightly unfair to use the lack of activity within Discord during the ceremony as a point against the service rather than a recognition of everyone already using IRC, although I think that those people were pretty much 30 odd community veterans, myself included. Easiest way to drum up activity within Discord channels would be @everyone or @here pings. There's about 300 or so users currently chilling in that server, and in a community where new blood and more diverse participation is valued, perhaps desperately so, getting all those people updated and following the main event would be a criminally easy way to get people giving shits. In short, main benefit of using Discord effectively as the chat party platform would be way better ease of access and a exponential surplus of activity and community interest.

In terms of technical issues, yeah both clients can be unreliable and freak miracle outages are known to occur. All I can really say is that I have faith that Discord is an improving, responsive service and I've personally noticed a decrease in the frequency of issues in the venue. Still, that doesn't guarantee that either service won't shit themselves exactly when we need them next year.

I would say the best reason to have a dedicated chat party channel should Discord be the venue would be for easy archival purposes, with the channel being closed and moved after the ceremony ends. Also users would notice the extra channel when it goes up, which would be a good way to signify 'Something's different! A new thing is happening!' if using notifications to alert people is not an option.

Although I'm not sure if trying for both services would be ideal. Splitting conversation across 2 chat clients sounds bothersome and would spread activity thin, especially if you want peeps to be using the forums more to express in-the-moment reactions.

porplemontage

Forum Administrator
Wiki Proprietor
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Porplemontage
This is an idea I had for using Discord, should the Committee decide to go that route next year. Create a public #mario-awards channel, and before it's open, enter the following
Code:

-------------------------
Then open the channel for the ceremony. After the ceremony is over, you pin the 2020 message and lock the channel until the next celebration. The locked channel resides in the Wiki Community category as an archive. Then before the following year's ceremony, you enter
Code:

and open the channel on the Awards day (plus temporarily make it the top channel like on the forum). You pin the 2021 message. The main idea is that the channel is closed for 364 days of the year, and the pins are used to easily access each year's chat archive in one place. Eventually it looks like this.

Reko Yabusame

I love theming after games I have never played!
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Superchao
There's about 300 or so users currently chilling in that server, and in a community where new blood and more diverse participation is valued, perhaps desperately so, getting all those people updated and following the main event would be a criminally easy way to get people giving shits.
no offense, but how many of these are actual, active users? A lot less than that. Plenty of them are abandoned accounts or people who joined once and never said anything, and have probably muted the server at this point.

I'm not trying to nitpick, I can definitely see some people active in discord who didn't try to jump to IRC. But the raw numbers aren't reflective of real activity.

GBA

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
forcing people to use the forums to react to presentations is fine since we have the whole gamut of reactions necessary for them:

like, haha, wow, love, sad, angry

i fail to see any others that we need so shut down irc and discord and have everyone move back to the forums for good :thumbup: