Geno Fever: the issues behind it

Dorayaki

King Bowser
Here is a reminder: the following oberservation is neither in the viewpoint of positive support or negative hostility against Geno. It ony tries to make an objective theory, so please do not make biased assumptions about the post.

And to be honest I haven't been keeping the Smash bros community for quite a time. If there is any missed vital information that is not mentioned in the post, please inform me below.

Personally, I'm a fan of Geno and have played Super Mario RPG. But when it comes to Smash bros, I think this is a different story. To be honest, I think assuming that "Geno must get into Smash bros" is a far-fetched idea.
Smash bros may include "any" character as long as they have origin from Nintendo history (if not third party characters). But it would be weird to say Nintendo character can definitely makes it in Smash bros. If we're here to claim that a certain character has 100% chance, that is impossible. Remember that Geno is potential but others are also as well.
When a big franchise has a big amount of characters, usually the leading protagonist then the most recurring character, literally "main cast" would be chosen in the first place.

When it comes to Geno's case, unfortunately he never makes a second formal appearance in the Mario games after his debut it Super Mario RPG. Most of the main characters from Mario universe, such as Diddy Kong, Wario, Daisy and KingKRool actually have been introduced before SMRPG came out. They kept receiving more chances after their debut game. But then, why Geno is still frequently requested despite this? The arguements usually are like these:

*Argument: Smash bros director Sakurai wants him
The reason why Geno begins to frequently appears in discussion is because of "Sakurai's favorite character" opinion in an early interview. Many Geno fans are glad to share his thought and began to heat the Geno fever in order to make him in Smash bros one day.
2FipNET.jpg

But here is a reiminder of the reality: none of the Mario titled game after Smash bros 2 or 3 includes Geno because of Sakurai's request, and none of other Nintendo directors show great interest in Geno It's very realistic that his popularity only influences the fandom culture but it still doesn't reflect on the video games.

Ultimately Smash bros is a crossover game, not part of the original franchise of the character. Even if such character appears in Smash bros, it doesn't make him/her important in the original franchise. Because if it happens, Smash bros would have been the god of Nintendo company.

4tw4kHu.jpg

Here is an alternative assumption: we know that Sakurai is gonna retire soon after Smash 5. So I just say, what if the new directer of Smash 6 has no will to include Geno? Would that make Geno's chance from 100% to 0%? This is why we cannot always rely on Sakurai's opinion. It is only meaningful when Nintendo and the Mario main directors all agree this, so that they could volunteer to give Geno chances in the first place.

7H3UzB3.jpg

Here is another thought about being in Smash bros: is it easier to go to Smash bros than being in regular titles? Taking Mario Kart titles for example, it has included more than thirty Mario characters in the general game lineup, while there are at most eleven characters from Mario universe that goes to Smash bros. Yes, it is definitely easier to go into Mario Kart or other Mario games than Smash bros. Which is why it is actually contradictory for a character to not appear in regular titles but in Smash bros.

*Argument: Geno can be in Smash bros because his owner Square Enix also participates in that game
I know fans also keep saying that Square Enix's right owner is the reason why Geno cannot appear in more Mario games. So Geno can appear in Smash bros because they're in.
cGWn7sG.jpg

Uhm.... I'm shocked by this theory, well, please go check the Mario game history, SquareEnix already did more Mario games, Fortune Street and Sport Mix for Wii and DS. This would have served chances for Geno and Mallow to appear as playable characters if that is what we're asknig for. If they don't appear, that only says the companies didn't really try to push it in the first place.

*Argument: Geno has a Mii costume in Smash 4
This is kinda easier, I mean,..... Ashley, Toad and others has costumes as well. Why specifically only Geno is likely for a future fighter addition in this case?
AApHyFO.jpg

*Argument: Geno would have been in the Mario main cast if not because of SE copyright issue

Well, who knows? I hate to say it, but actually Geno's chance of becoming a Mario main character is still not that high. Based on the fact Nintendo still produces their original RPGs, Mario&Luigi series and also Paper Mario series, both introduce some key characters such as Goombario, Starlow, Fawful. But Nintendo didn't add any of these to the Mario main cast and make them playable in Mario Party or Mario Tennis.
dR6jo2f.jpg

On the other hand, we take a look at the current main Mario cast and you will find out that most of they mainly come from a Super Mario platformer game, with only Waluigi and Toadette come from a Mario RPG. There's not yet really a Mario RPG character successfully joins the Mario main cast, otherwise we would now argue why Nintendo choose someone else but not Geno.
This is actually a problem that Nintendo doesn't seriously see Mario RPG canon as important as Super Mario platformer history. They acknowledhe BowserJr and Rosalina's importance to the Mario franchise over the RPG characters, which is a clear fact.

*Argument: Geno has cool moves so he should be picked
While I cannot say other Mario characters like Lubba, Goomabrio or Plum might not have attractive moves that Geno does, still remember that moves are not the main factor for Smash roster consideration.

For example, Zelda Musou introduce most notable and popular Zelda franchise characters, each character has own specific style of fights. Most Fire Emblem party characters also have good fight moves.

In that case, they could all perform well in Smash bros as well, but we know not all of them can be chosen as Nintendo all stars. That is the same case when many Mario characters are potential good fighters so Nintendo is only doing the choices.

*Argument: Geno could be a Square Enix representive
NcEHv2y.jpg

My immediate reaction: which game franchise of Square Enix does Geno represent? Yes, he belongs to Square Enix but that doesn't make him an important character to that company. Just being owned by SquareEnix, Eleven and Lightning can also be choices as well.

I do agree that Square Enix is the one really responsible for the whole Geno (also Mallow) issue. They obtain the characters right after SMRPG, but never make best use of them. They could jsut feature them in a FinalFantasy game, a Chocobo game or a cameo in KingdomHearts series, all of them could have happended and they did not in the end. Especially Square already knows Geno is a fanfavorite, it is very stupid for Square to not immediaetly make Geno-related game plans to milk the money.
But just in the current reality, Geno is not in the same place with Slime, Chocobo, Cloud or Lara Croft. He still needs to obtain his own game series in order to be as famous as those icon characters.

Banjo would serve a proper example here. He seems to be similiar with Geno: he also comes from Ninteno Mario universe (the game Diddy Kong Racing), he was obtained by Microsoft and released a series of his own featured games. Banjo is requsets to be starred in Smash bros, not because his origin in Mario universe, but he is a protagoinst of his own adventure. He is famous and request not all because he came from the Mario universe, but his performance in his own games.

In Square Enix's viewpoint, Smash bros is a chance for them to promote their original characters. They would sure tend to include Cloud, Slime or Chocobo that can properly represent their ongoing franchises. Putting Geno only to please his fanbse would help nothing in their own advertising or rasing the game sales.
Oh here is an add-on: if Geno really represents Square Enix franchises, that would say he has to cut down all his origin from SMRPG just like Banjo cut his origin from Mario universe as well. So that we cannot mention the SMRPG references in future games if Geno really does that.

My conclusion is, most of the arguments lack the very important common sense: Geno is wanted simply because he is very popular, not because he has done anything important for Nintendo or he is an icon character to the video game history.
Still remember, Smash bros is important as Nintendo's history book (introducing all Nintendo franchises and retro games) and also a living advertising board that promotes all recent video game titles. It would be obscure to include a character that doesn't appear in any of the recent game of the franchise s/he originates from.

If you say "we just want Geno to Smash and those things are not important", I would question you "why?", more precisely, "Why don't you want to see Geno in more video games than Super Mario RPG?" I know Super Mario RPG is good, but really, you're happy that Geno is merely an exclusive character to that game, he could have been in much more Mario RPGs or Mario Kart and Tennis games and he never did, is that a thing that we can be proud of? No, it should not. Unless you care Smash bros the game over Geno the character, which is why you only want to see Geno in Smash bros but not any other game.

In a softer tone, I just want to say, love for a character is a nice thing. I am actually glad Sakurai mentions Geno, because Nintendo has been keeping an low eye on Mario RPG characters and they are always treated badly. If a Mario RPG character can shine, things could also change the whole way Nintendo used to work.

But ultimately we should do things in the right way if we really want to support that character. We cannot just stand here and says "he has the chance". Yes, he doesn't have big chance, what if we can do someting to make his chance grow from 5% to 100%? Wouldn't that be a wonderful thing?

My opinion, if you're a Geno fan, you should try to think in the following way:

1) Not just Smash bros, go support Geno to be in any Mario game that allows him to star, like Super Mario Party, Mario Kart 10 or mobile games.

2) Ask Square Enix to do something with him. If they don't volunteerly try to help with the Geno case, Geno will never ever really shine. Only when there's a Square Enix game that features Geno could he opens a new page in the video game history.

3) Don't just keep asking Sakurai and thinks he can do anything. He can NOT. He is only in charge of Smash bros but he cannot deal with the copyright or game role things. Go ask Hashimoto, Miyamoto or Takemoto. Those people are much more powerful in the case of helping Geno out.

toJNfHc.jpg

I mean Geno would be cool.

Then again, I doubt they're gonna add Geno before other more relevant characters to Nintendo *cough* Bandana Dee, I know you're in there *cough*.

The main thing about Geno is regardless of what's going on. Ultimate is his best chance he's ever had. Square was never anywhere near Brawl, they never showed up for Smash 4 until Cloud came in. With Square in the base game, there's plenty of chances for Sakurai to ask for Geno that was not there before.

I personally don't care if Geno is in or not. The facts are that this is the best chance he's ever had. If that chance ever amounts to any realistic chance I don't know, but if Geno is ever going to be in Smash Bros. It will be in this game.

I think it's really as simple as Sakurai is a fan of the character. He's gone on record saying he considered him for Brawl. It may not have been feasible back then, but now that Square is actually involved, things just got easier.

I personally think he should be added because of his massive fan base that's been asking for him since Brawl. Relevancy be damned, I think with this game Sakurai cares more about pleasing fans than trivial things like relevance. K. Rool is the clearest example of this.

Also consider this; Sakurai had to pay and jump through legal hoops to get the Mii costume to be in Smash 4. Whether he was a full character or just a trophy, that process would be the same. It's still using the character's image.With how close their release was, I'm sure the contract they made with Square delat with both Smash 4 and Ultimate. Maybe being a character wasn't feasible then (we know from data mining that DLC was likely planned out long in advance despite what PR may say).

For example, we know that K. Rool did well on the ballot, Sakurai confirms this. However, Bayonetta was always planned for DLC. When Sakurai said she was number one among "realizable characters" he likely meant "of the characters we were already planning", which was just Cloud, Corrin, and her. Going back to K. Rool, I think the mii costume was a "We hear you. We can't make it happen just yet, this is the best we can do". The ballot was likely for Ultimate.

To bring it back to Geno, I think his Mii costume is a similar deal. "We know you guys want Geno, here's something to tide you over".

I personally believe Verge and Box theory, so I suspect Geno is gonna be our first DLC character revealed at the end of a final smash direct much like Mewtwo was.

You know, a year ago I would have been pretty anti-Geno, thinking he didn't have a place in Smash. But now I think his fans deserve it. Lord knows as a Ridley and K. Rool supporter, I've been in a very similar situation. Is Geno relevant? No. Are there more important Mario characters? Yes. Should Geno still be in? Absolutely. For the fans.

I just don't want anymore Mario characters in smash period. And while technically owned by SE Geno is still a Mario character in my eyes.

Dorayaki said:

1) Not just Smash bros, go support Geno to be in any Mario game that allows him to star, like Super Mario Party, Mario Kart 10 or mobile games.

2) Ask Square Enix to do something with him. If they don't volunteerly try to help with the Geno case, Geno will never ever really shine. Only when there's a Square Enix game that features Geno could he opens a new page in the video game history.

3) Don't just keep asking Sakurai and thinks he can do anything. He can NOT. He is only in charge of Smash bros but he cannot deal with the copyright or game role things. Go ask Hashimoto, Miyamoto or Takemoto. Those people are much more powerful in the case of helping Geno out.

So what you want to say is... start a petition?

Thank you for reading.

The really problem is that people actually believe Geno will stand a chance against a guy in a powered exoskeleton that's strong enough to withstand the goddamn Sun.

Crow T. Robot said:
The really problem is that people actually believe Geno will stand a chance against a guy in a powered exoskeleton that's strong enough to withstand the goddang Sun.

This is a moot point. Did anyone think Villager or Duck Hunt would stand a chance against someone like Bowser or even Yoshi?

Either way, I'd like Geno in Smash. I haven't seen anyone "feverish" about having him in though.

When the three Kirby reps got in, they had to be beefed up big time. A character's power in their own franchise is really a moot point.

winstein said:
Dorayaki said:

Thank you for reading.
I honestly doubt it. Petitions are stupid and don't do a thing.

Yo said:
Crow T. Robot said:
The really problem is that people actually believe Geno will stand a chance against a guy in a powered exoskeleton that's strong enough to withstand the goddang Sun.

This is a moot point. Did anyone think Villager or Duck Hunt would stand a chance against someone like Bowser or even Yoshi?

Either way, I'd like Geno in Smash. I haven't seen anyone "feverish" about having him in though.
If you have no clue who I meant, I mean Bren McGuire.
I mean, look at this dude.
turrican2.jpg

Like I said before, the Turrican Assault Suit can withstand the Sun.
However, while Geno's body will burn up, his spirit will live on.

Ghostly Yoshi said:
winstein said:
Dorayaki said:

Thank you for reading.
I honestly doubt it. Petitions are stupid and don't do a thing.

I know. Reggie even mentioned that petitions usually don't translate to action (as in, sales), so he also knows how meaningless petitions are. But the way the suggestions above are laid out is, from what I understand, resorting to petitions to get their opinions heard, especially (1) and (2). Maybe they don't strictly use petition to solve, but it's also quite unlikely that anybody who reads this thread would have contacts with Hashimoto, Miyamoto or Takemoto, nor have the ability to get Square-Enix to bend over backwards to the interest of Geno supporters.

Thank you for reading.

Ghostly Yoshi said:
When the three Kirby reps got in, they had to be beefed up big time. A character's power in their own franchise is really a moot point.
>implying Kirby isn't already the terrifying God of Ruin

Three Kirby reps.

This expression breaks my heart. Why is that number THREE?

And I'll laugh when he doesn't happen.

Just like I laughed when Ashley turned out to still be an AT.

Are you saying that because he's not an octagon?

No, I said Ashley wouldn't happen and she didn't, and now I'm saying that Bandanna Dee won't.

I also said Isabelle wouldn't happen but you can see how that turned out...

[size=6pt]Isabelle was a character I wanted, and she happened.

Now by that logic, if I want Bandanna Dee more, that means he will happen.

winstein said:
I know. Reggie even mentioned that petitions usually don't translate to action (as in, sales), so he also knows how meaningless petitions are. But the way the suggestions above are laid out is, from what I understand, resorting to petitions to get their opinions heard, especially (1) and (2). Maybe they don't strictly use petition to solve, but it's also quite unlikely that anybody who reads this thread would have contacts with Hashimoto, Miyamoto or Takemoto, nor have the ability to get Square-Enix to bend over backwards to the interest of Geno supporters.

Thank you for reading.
It is kinda half joking, tho. I think the problem is that some fanbases are too serious about Sakurai taking fan opinion theories instead of he making decisions on his own or his negotiation with other executers in the first place. Even though Smash bros does have huge fanbases, pretty much Sakurai's role is still as same as Takemoto or Hashimoto. I just want to say that don't take it too serious, if Sakurai would listen so would other directors.

Sakurai knows fans' opinions, but it's more in a manner of marketing research. That doesn't say other directors or Square never did marketing research before.

I mean, I wouldn't have too much problems with Geno being playable because at least he can rot in the character select screen with his pals such as Isabelle or most Fire Emblem characters while people who like him can enjoy him, but I would be lying if I think he wasn't an utterly disappointing, uninteresting, and otherwise lame character that I think more interesting characters should have been prioritized over him.

Back