Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
"Making good wine is a skill; making fine wine is an art."
-Robert Mondavi

Results!

Info:
*One (1) entry per individual.
*Winners will be selected with a public vote using Polldaddy polls linked both here and in The 'Shroom
*The topic is very general; Mario- and community-themed works
*All kinds of art will be accepted (Drawings both computer and traditional, short comics, gifs, photos, short videos, songs, anything that's art)
*Tokens will be awards for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each skill category, as well as for general participation.

Submissions:
Please send all submissions to me starting June 1st - July 14th, whether it's my inbox here, or query on chat, so long as it's private. If you are signed up, the deadline can be extended up until July 20th for you as I'd already know to be expecting it.

Voting will take place July 21st - August 11th, and polls will be located both within this thread and in a special 'Shroom section in July's issue.

Please don't post entries within this thread!!

Sign-ups:
Sign-ups aren't necessary but they really help see how many people there will be and create a balanced contest. There will be 3 skill tiers with separate votes (beginner, amateur, and experienced) so if you sign up please select which one you feel you fit into. If one tier ends up barren while another is overpopulated I may use Director's discretion and move people around, but I will certainly try to avoid this as much as possible. Also, people who do not provide a tier to be placed into will automatically go into amateur until otherwise proven or stated, and people are also free to change their position.

If there are any questions, comments, concerns, please post them in this thread. If you think there's a better way to run this contest than how I did it last year, please tell me!

Check out last year's contest and results!

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Re: Art Contest

Please check out the Art Contest's page in The 'Shroom (The_'Shroom:Issue_136/Art_Contest) for probably a better look and layout than this!

And be sure to check out EVERY piece and view them in full size before you vote!!

Artwork and Polls

Beginner

Beginner Poll

Amateur

Amateur Poll

Experienced

Experienced Poll

Dr. Baby Luigi

Mushroom Kingdom's Most Adorable Doctor
Re: Art Contest -- Accepting entries until July 14th

I'll sign up, under the "experienced" category

Ice Cream Man

And It Don't Stop
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee

I'll go for experienced.

BBQ Turtle

Crazy sponsors lady.
Wiki Patroller
Awards Committee

Can I sign up for amateur please?

Wittgenstein

TLW-728 Supercomputer Prototype

Linhardt von Hevring

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee

Probably amateur so I can rush my piece again like tb

Claude von Riegan

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff

maybe i'll draw better

experienced, same as last year

Marie

If you find any good Marie fanart, send it here!

I guess I'll give it a try this year

Judging by last year's entries, I'd say beginner.

Koops

King of cowards.

I don’t know, I guess I’m kinda between Experienced and Amateur...

You know, I’ll go for experienced

It’s been a year since I started making digital art anyway, I should have SOME skills!

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee

A reminder: if the skill categories are a bit lopsided with the amount of people in each one, I will do my best to rebalance them to make each one fair and competitive

Have fun arting!!

MrConcreteDonkey

Noisemaster
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff

i'll sign up

i'm undecided between beginner and amateur, in the interest of balance might be better to go for beginner?

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality

I am interested in signing up, but I am not sure what's my best category. I guess beginner since I don't have too much experience in digital art (and also to balance out the list). Haven't gotten feedback on how well my art stacks with the rest.

Thank you for reading.

Meta Knight

Victory is my destiny
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee

Sign me up for Amateur or whichever one you feel best fits me please.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee

Just about 2 weeks to go!

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee

Got a week left to turn in any entries! If you're signed up and need an extension, let me know!

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee

Final day! If you need an extension, please let me know!

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Re: Art Contest -- Extension CRUNCH TIME - Due the 20th

Everyone who has been given an extension, you've got until the 20th (or as close to the shroom release as reasonably possible) to get your art done and sent to me!

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Re: Art Contest -- Polls open until August 11th !!!

Polls are now up on The 'Shroom (The_'Shroom:Issue_136/Art_Contest) and also this topic! Be sure to give every entry a fair look before you vote.

Also, please provide feedback if you have any on how to properly balance these contests each year. Are the skill categories fair? Should they be eliminated entirely and everyone compete together? Should there just be multiple polls for different criteria like "Best Concept", "Most Ambitious", "Best Traditional Drawing", who knows what else? Should we have a more strict theme and media? Please let me know, I want this to fun, interesting, and most of all fair to everyone participating, and encouraging for people new to art!

Congratulations to everyone who participated in creating art this year! Keep up the good work! :bowser:

Dr. Baby Luigi

Mushroom Kingdom's Most Adorable Doctor
Re: Art Contest -- Polls open until August 11th !!!

The skill category as it is fine and fair and should remain so less experienced people have a chance at winning something substantial.

I like the idea of multiple polls about best concepts and ambition and I wouldn't mind seeing that implemented. Although I do think a category for polling the best different mediums of art is an okay idea because they're two vastly different ways to express but I feel like there's too much of an imbalance in the contenders to create those types of categories concerning the medium used. There's only one 3D image and only one animation, there's two sprite comics, and the rest is a balance between hand-drawn and digital. The only way to make this more even is to enforce something but I'm not too hot on that so I prefer if that is left out and we don't get a poll surrounding the medium of art unless we get more entries in the isolated categories in the future.

I didn't mind the overall theme. Most pictures are either Mario or Wiki-focused regardless.

You know what you could do? Let us title the pieces like an art gallery. I think art titles can add some context and fun to the piece, like the pipe image being called "The Treachery of Images". Images can be more ridiculous with ridiculous titles.