Mario Kart 64 Time Trials Tournament! (Tokens!)

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator
Greetings everyone! I am Alex95, here with a different kind of Mario Kart tournament. Instead of the usual "Race against others" formula, this time it will instead be "race against the clock". That's right, this tournament will show who can make it to the finish line in Time Trials the fastest! And we're doing this in

Why this game? Because there aren't as many gimmicks such as custom or selectable karts, so the times will be based on your skill alone. And because I like this game. So here's how this is going to work:

RULES
  • This will be a single elimination game. The person with the slowest time will be dropped from the tournament. Use your Mushrooms wisely.
  • I will select a course for us to race on at random. You must then try to get the fastest time on this course.
  • Despite the above, the first course will be Luigi Raceway and the last course will be Rainbow Road.
  • You are able to race the course as many times as you feel needed until you have a time you are satisfied with. Once you have a time, send it to me via PM, down to the millisecond. Times can be sent in as an update repeatedly, but only your most recent time will count.
  • You have a week to get in a time. If you don't send a time in by the next Monday, you will be disqualified. If this happens, the person with the slowest time sent in can still move on.
  • How many races we do depends on the number of participants, including myself.
  • Last person remaining wins!

Limitations
  • Any version of this game is acceptable. English, Japanese, emulations, etc. So long as the game runs and is a perfect or near-perfect copy.
  • Cheats, hacks, mods, and map exploitations are not allowed. Intentional race shortcuts are allowed.
  • If there are any ties for last place, the person moving on will be decided by a coin flip, die roll, or something similar.

How do you partake in this tournament? Just post something in this thread signifying your interest, tell me which version of the game you will be playing, and then keep an eye on here for updates! Times will be posted after a week or when everyone has a time and then the next race will start. Sign-ups are closed and the tournament has begun.

The races will start on July 2nd.

Challonge is not giving me the type of bracket I want to use, so there's no visual representation here. Instead, updates will be posted after every round.

Participants
  • Alex95 - NA
  • fantanoice - JP
  • Luigi 64DD - NA (VC)
  • Yoshi the SSM - Arcade Spot
  • PowerKamek - NA
  • Chibiki Daisy - NA
  • Anton - NA

YoshiFlutterJump

Shine Sprite
Poll Committee
Re: Mario Kart 64 Time Trials Tournament - Sign Ups!

Allowing shortcut glitches in races is not a good idea. It’s just not fair to people who don’t like to use such glitches.

Also, I don’t have Mario Kart 64, so can I use the retro courses in Wii and 8 DX? Sorry, but that's the only way I can play MK64.

Also, do we need to upload YouTube videos of our runs?

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator

YFJ said:
Allowing shortcut glitches in races is not a good idea. It’s just not fair to people who don’t like to use such glitches.

Also, I don’t have Mario Kart 64, so can I use the retro courses in Wii and 8 DX? Sorry, but that's the only way I can play MK64.

Also, do we need to upload YouTube videos of our runs?
I'll ban glitches if enough people agree with that. And no to the bottom two as the mechanics are different, but if you want to upload a video of your run, you can. It's not necessary to the tournament, but you can if you want to. All I need is the time.

Duskull

Star Spirit
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff

How will you get the time? Because all I'm saying is that if we just simply send it in, I could easily claim I got a good time when in fact it was a bad one.

fantanoice

I can see through time

sure

My concern with exploits is that some aren't avaliable in certain versions of the game.

I've got the Japanese version now so I'll be using that but those will PAL versions will be at a disadvantage because it runs slower than NTSC and has fewer tricks. Not sure the best thing to do about it. You could add a few seconds to each NTSC run to accomodate?

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator

Duskull said:
How will you get the time? Because all I'm saying is that if we just simply send it in, I could easily claim I got a good time when in fact it was a bad one.
Anton asked me the same thing, and I responded with I'm just going to trust that everyone sends in a legitimate time. A video or snapshot like YFJ suggested would help, but I'm hoping that everyone who signs up is a good sport. I have a chart that shows me some fast times, so if it falls around or below that, I'll know it's possible. And I can attempt some times myself to make sure, if needed.

fantanoice said:
My concern with exploits is that some aren't avaliable in certain versions of the game.

I've got the Japanese version now so I'll be using that but those will PAL versions will be at a disadvantage because it runs slower than NTSC and has fewer tricks. Not sure the best thing to do about it. You could add a few seconds to each NTSC run to accomodate?
Oof, honestly thought the exploits were there for all versions. Mario Wiki page doesn't cover that too well... Also didn't know the PAL version runs slower. I'll do some checking, but perhaps to make things easier

Tell me which version of the game you will be playing when you sign up

Marie

If you find any good Marie fanart, send it here!

Me, I guess

I'll be using the North American Virtual Console version.

Yoshi the SSM

I'm Yoshi the Space Station Manager from the wiki.

Since I like racing, sure.

I don't have a N64 or have it on VC, but I can get it by playing it on Arcade Archives with Google Chrome (doesn't quite work with Microsoft Edge, which I prefer to use). Just so that you know, it has slow rate. Probably since it wasn't made for it. Speaking of this, would I have to use the default control setup or can I change it so I can do it comfortably?

PowerKamek

Rest In Peace, Walkazo

Sure I'll join
I have the North American version, and I'll use the original on the N64.

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator

Yoshi the SSM said:
Since I like racing, sure.

I don't have a N64 or have it on VC, but I can get it by playing it on Arcade Archives with Google Chrome (doesn't quite work with Microsoft Edge, which I prefer to use). Just so that you know, it has slow rate. Probably since it wasn't made for it. Speaking of this, would I have to use the default control setup or can I change it so I can do it comfortably?
I don't know how well that performs. Does the timer move slowly as well, or just the gameplay? If it's both, you can maybe use it, though an actual version or PJ64 emulator would work best here.

You can use whatever controls are comfortable for you.

Yoshi the SSM

I'm Yoshi the Space Station Manager from the wiki.

Alex95 said:
I don't know how well that performs. Does the timer move slowly as well, or just the gameplay? If it's both, you can maybe use it, though an actual version or PJ64 emulator would work best here.
I don't have anything to compare it, but the timer speed seems to be as slow as the gameplay. And for some very weird reason, the only emulators that I can run on my computer are the ones that are actually online. And then I have to use Google Chrome.

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator

Yoshi the SSM said:
Alex95 said:
I don't have anything to compare it, but the timer speed seems to be as slow as the gameplay. And for some very weird reason, the only emulators that I can run on my computer are the ones that are actually online. And then I have to use Google Chrome.
I'll allow it, then.

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator
Re: Mario Kart 64 Time Trials Tournament! (Round 1 Begins)

3...2...1..GO!

The first round has begun! Please review the rules above and be sure to send in your fastest time by next Monday!

As mentioned above, the first race is Luigi Raceway!

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator

Anton has been added to the running by request. Even though the sign-ups ended, I figured I could let him in since he's the one letting me run this thing :p

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee

White Diamond

Flawless Entity of Pure Christmas
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff

Alex95 said:
Also didn't know the PAL version runs slower. I'll do some checking, but perhaps to make things easier

As far as I am aware, there is a dedicated way to convert times to and from PAL equivalents that they use for keeping track of world record times. Might be worth looking into that.

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator

Kurapika Kurta said:
Alex95 said:
Also didn't know the PAL version runs slower. I'll do some checking, but perhaps to make things easier

As far as I am aware, there is a dedicated way to convert times to and from PAL equivalents that they use for keeping track of world record times. Might be worth looking into that.
Maybe, but no one signed up using a PAL game anyway :p

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator

Saying that everyone has sent in a time, but to keep things on schedule (and because I'm busy), the results and next race will be posted tomorrow (PST). Don't know if it was clear in the OP, but this is how it will normally go.

Alex95

NIWA Nut
Wiki Administrator

Results for Luigi Raceway!

Fantanoice – 01'43"81
Alex95 – 01'47"02
Luigi 64DD – 01'51''80
Anton – 01'52''63
Yoshi the SSM – 02'00"82
PowerKamek – 02'01''61
Chibiki Daisy – 02'01"67

Congratulations to fantanoice for placing first in Round 1!
Chibiki Daisy has been eliminated. That was close, though. It really came down to the milliseconds there.

Now let's begin Round 2! This next race will take place on...

Kalimari Desert!

Be sure to send in your times by next Monday before the next round begins then!

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Re: Mario Kart 64 Time Trials Tournament! (Round 2)

Wow I'm still in it :bowser:

Here's how I'm sharing my times, with two cutie totems of power