Super Mario Odyssey: Hint Hunt (Thanks for playing!)

Would you like to have the hints be easier or harder?

• Easier and shorter.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Easier, but about the same length.

• Easier, but with more layered challenges.

• The same difficulty, but shorter.

• Harder, but with shorter challenges.

• Harder, but about the same length.

• Harder AND with even more layered challenges!

• Total voters

Ribbon

Fairy of Ripple Star
Poll Committee
Re: Super Mario Odyssey: Hint Hunt (Round 1)

I submitted some stuff, but I was a bit late. I sent them through Discord if you didn't see.

Rinka Hayami

Koops, King of cowards.

Sorry but, is it possible for us to know beforehand when is the next round?

I've got a couple of days during which I am not available, so I need to know. Namely the 3rd to 12th of August and 28th-29th of July.

Wicked Clown-nak

Too Fat to Release

Currently slapping myself because I just now figured out the one hint I didn't submit an answer for, I was overthinking it way too far but too late now lol.

Ice Cream Man

And It Don't Stop
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee

Everyone said:
Sorry but, is it possible for us to know beforehand when is the next round?
Cap'n Cuttlefish said:
I will distribute the other 6 puzzles on August 20th, and the players will have another week to solve them.
I may make Round 2 a bit longer, depending on activity levels.

Ice Cream Man

And It Don't Stop
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
Re: Super Mario Odyssey: Hint Hunt (Answers!)

Here are the answers for Round 1!

easy there. you've fallen down
7 times already. someone like you can't just
Zip off into the Zunzet like that
2 many t1m3s
I've had to save you.
9 times out of 10 you could have died but you are still
xtraordinary in that you keep going
4:24AM is not the time to pratice your tricks.
Please. You have so much else to do. You have a
donkey; could you play with that?

Clicking on the 'poem?' image takes you to a secret message; a set of 0s and 1s, and the phrase 'the Time is not the time'.

Running the 0s and 1s through a binary translator gives you this: /watch?v= (which is the beginning of a YouTube video URL.) Video URLs have 11 characters, and there are 11 lines in the poem, so inputting the first character of each line takes you to this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7Z2I9x4Pd0​

Going to 4:24 in the video (which is pointed towards with 'the Time') shows a scene of Mario in this position. Replicating this scene in-game got you the answer.

The crossword can be filled in using the names of the Kingdoms. Taking the letters in pink boxes and ordering them gives the word TRICERATOPS. A large Triceratops skull is located in the Cascade Kingdom. Any photo of the Triceratops got you the answer.

BITCAT Yellow and BITCAT Pink refer to the 8-bit cats, which are Yellow Cat Mario and Pink Cat Peach. 'The only place in the world or beyond where these two come together as one' refers to the Moon Kingdom, where both of the cats are behind the Chapel. It's the only place in the game where they're together.

The third Bitcat? 'Twas a red herring.

The SM64 image is a recreation of the Moe-Eye Habitat.

The following treasure map was recovered in the Lost Kingdom.

(How to solve a Picross)

Solving the Picross gives you two crosses and an upside down L shape, with the X located on one of the crosses. Referring to the Lost Kingdom map shows these shapes as platforms along the islands, so taking Mario to the X mark got you the points.

This one took too long to create lmao.

So, to start with there's a hidden image in the top right. Click on it to get the clue 'Eight times I jumped from ground, but on the sixth was the clue I found'. When you look at the lyrics, the word 'Jump' is used eight times. Clicking on the link with the sixth 'Jump' took you to this post. Referring to the 'found the clue?' image reveals a similarity between the shapes in that image and the shitty art I posted two years ago. An X is next to the black square in the clue image, though, so clicking where that X should be next to the art post takes you to this:

The patterns on the ground indicate a Cap Kingdom location, and going to this lake/puddle in the Kingdom shows 3 hat coins, like the hat glitches in the clue. Going to the lake/puddle got you the point.

Honestly? This could have been 2 separate Hints, but I wanted a more layered challenge so sorry if you couldn't get this one.

Many of you connected the layout to the 2D section in the Cascade Kingdom. As I said, I was looking for a specific position of Mario, and only a couple of people got the right one. The pictures look like every enemy is in a different position, but overlaying the images shows that a single bug has the same location. Putting Mario in that same location got you full points, whereas anywhere else in the 2D section only got you half the points.

People have said they've enjoyed this, but I would like some extra feedback so I can make sure Round 2 is even better. So, please vote in the poll at the top of the topic. I look forward to seeing how everyone does in Round 2!

Wicked Clown-nak

Too Fat to Release

Shit, I thought I was on to something reading T1m3s as a Youtube time format and going to that time in the video instead.

Hooded Pitohui

The Bird With Batrachotoxin
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee

Cap'n Cuttlefish said:
People have said they've enjoyed this, but I would like some extra feedback so I can make sure Round 2 is even better. So, please vote in the poll at the top of the topic. I look forward to seeing how everyone does in Round 2!
I personally voted for keeping the length, difficulty, and layering more or less the same. I thought that having a few more straightforward puzzles, like Hint 2 and Hint 5, which are highly accessible formats, gives some easier options for people to begin with while they mull over the more heavily layered puzzles. I'd say that Hint 4 more or less falls into that "starter" category, as well. Unlike the other two, that judgment is not so much about it being a common format as it's about it being less layered than most of the other hints.

Expanding on that, Hint 3 and Hint 7 seem to require a bit more puzzling out that the three aforementioned, but they aren't nearly as layered as Hint 1 and Hint 6. I personally think that having the puzzles in these "tier groups" makes the overall Hunt more accessible while still remaining challenging. Of course, a lot of this is subjective. I could see someone making an argument that, for example, Hint 7 is more on par with Hint 1 because of the specific location requirement and having to overlay the images, or that Hint 3 is more on par with Hint 4 because it doesn't have as many steps to go through once you have an idea of what it might be.

So, all in all, I thought the overall structure in terms of difficulty and length was quite fine. Again, these are subjective, so I wouldn't really on my word alone, but I thought having three lower difficulty puzzles, two medium difficulty puzzles, and two higher difficulty puzzles worked out well in terms of keeping it accessible but interesting. Of course, what's "easy, medium and high" is going to vary from person to person, but I think looking at it in terms of layering and number of steps required to solve the puzzles should work more or less as a stand-in for difficulty.

If any of this is unclear, I'd be happy to clarify or provide more feedback. All in all, I really enjoyed Round 1. Thank you, TPG!

Marie

If you find any good Marie fanart, send it here!

I got all of them right except only half credit for Hint 7, though my brother actually figured out Hint 3. I couldn't figure it out and I told him about it not expecting him to figure it out. But he did, and then I felt dumb for not realizing it.

I pretty much agree with Pitohui, though I wouldn't mind seeing maybe one more layered puzzle like Hints 1 and 6. Those were hard, but they were also a lot of fun to figure out. I felt like Hint 7 was a bit too confusing because even with the extra hint I still couldn't properly figure out how I was supposed to interpret the overlayed enemies. Perhaps that's my fault, but it sounds like several others failed to make the connection as well. In any case, those are just my thoughts.

Ribbon

Fairy of Ripple Star
Poll Committee

I only got hints 4 and 5 right, unfortunately. I couldn't find hints 1, 3, 6, or 7. I also attempted Hint 2 but was incorrect.

Still, it was fun. Tough, sure, but the difficulty made it great. Even if I could only find the downright obvious Hint 4 and the somewhat easy Hint 5.

Wicked Clown-nak

Too Fat to Release

Hint 3 was the only one I didn't submit an answer for, though I figured out what Bitcats referred to just a bit too late. I was trying to link the shapes to regional coins and it made no sense because no 2 types of regional coin can be together. Once I thought of Cat Mario and Cat Peach I felt like a blithering idiot.

I think the hints were perfectly fine. Other than 3 which was me being an idiot, the only one I had issues with was 1, because as stated above, I thought the format for the word times was intentionally similar to how a YouTube url points to a timestamp. Maybe that was meant to be a red herring though?

Lakituthequick

Celestial Guide
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee

Completely forgot the specific pattern of the Cap Kingdom's floors, that picture in hint 6 didn't ring a bell. Sad.

Also didn't notice that that one beetle for hint 7 wasn't changed. Did get the location right.

Did get all the others :D

Rinka Hayami

Koops, King of cowards.

I got 5 right.

I feel smart now.

Difficulty is alright, no need to change anything for me on this side of the world.

Ice Cream Man

And It Don't Stop
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee

Round 2 is nearly ready- emphasis on nearly! It would probably be worth waiting just another few days so I don't send out a rushed set of hints. While waiting, perhaps you could have a go at the other scavenger hunt! Round 2 will run until August 30th no matter when it starts.

Ice Cream Man

And It Don't Stop
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee

Alright, here comes Round 2! Enjoy.

(Of course, a surprise Round 2.1 will come very soon.)

Wicked Clown-nak

Too Fat to Release

Just a question if I may, can all of these be found on a beaten file? Or do they require me to start a new save file?

Ice Cream Man

And It Don't Stop
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee

None of them require the game to be beaten or not. It might be easier to use a new save file for one of the hints, but it's absolutely possible on a beaten save file if you know what the hint's referring to.

Ice Cream Man

And It Don't Stop
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
Re: Super Mario Odyssey: Hint Hunt (Round 2)

Everything's been sent out now. The hunt is on!

To clarify, it's the same rules as last time- you can submit individual answers or multiple, and you can resubmit an answer if you wish.

In a few days, I'll add some extra clues to some of the less popular hints so don't worry if you're stuck on some of them. Have fun! :shy:

Ice Cream Man

And It Don't Stop
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee

Here's some extra clues to help the hunters in need.

Try also drawing a Power Moon within the smaller square. The object I'm referring to should be a little more recognisable now. Also, if you are as far north as possible and can't find an NPC, a picture of the nearest structure will do.

The puzzles do not say which Kingdom to visit. That is revealed in the colour of the border- check closely to see which Kingdom's map it matches exactly with.

Once you get the final image, you can visit this page to compare.

Ice Cream Man

And It Don't Stop
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee

I'll give you 24 hours left, so last chance to get your answers in!

Ice Cream Man

And It Don't Stop
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee

Last chance to get things sent in!

Let's be specific. I'll close everything up on . A lot of people still have a chance of winning if they get the right answers!

Ice Cream Man

And It Don't Stop
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee

And that's all. Thank you so much to everyone who participated.

Full numbers will be coming soon, but at this stage I can reveal the winner- Fawfulthegreat64! Congrats!

Ice Cream Man

And It Don't Stop
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee

Here are those numbers that we all crave. The rule was, 1 point for nearly correct answers, 2 points for a correct answer, and 3 points for getting the answer first.

Congratulations to FTG, Luigi64DD and Nitwit for coming in the top three! But also, congratulations to everyone who got points- even the smallest of tokens can contribute to something. Either way, thank you to all the players! It was super fun making these and seeing what people came up with in response. I've been told that the puzzles were good, perhaps even great, but most importantly, they were puzzling. There's a couple of fixes I want to make for next year (which will likely be for a different game. We'll see.), namely removing any reliance on the English language to find answers. I didn't consider it for some hints, but now I'm perpetually considering it. All the time.

Another thing I'd like to do is what the crew did for the Odyssey Scavenger hunt, namely having the hints publicly posted rather than sent privately. However, you'll still have to sign up. Other ideas may arrive by next summer.

That's all from me. I'll be taking suggestions all year round, including which games to make puzzles from and any other specifics. Again, thank you for playing!

Rinka Hayami

Koops, King of cowards.

WOAH

Sorry did not expect to rank this high