Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

Gabumon

Data type
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
With Super Mario Odyssey's release breaking up the well-trodden path this franchise has been taking for a while, the game will need a strong representation in this year's awards line-up. Right now, the tentative plan is to give the axe to some of our weaker/more boring choices in favor of Odyssey-themed awards.

To that end I would like to ask you to give us your suggestions. What do you think would make a good Odyssey-themed award? You don't have to come up with nominees at this stage (though you're free to do if you want to). You're also not limited to one suggestion. List as many as you want.

Tyrell Badd

"The hated boss who beats you down..."
Chat Administrator
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
Favorite costume and/or favorite kingdom are probably the most obvious ones.

Gabumon

Data type
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
I think Favorite Capture might also be worth looking into.

It's likely there will be a large amount of votes for one in particular, but we won't know for sure until we tried it.

Ultra Violet

Visible, purple, and does not cause sunburns.
Wiki Patroller
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
Favorite Broodal

(favorite boss would be too obvious everyone would just pick lord of lightning lol)

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
A quick look at Super Mario Odyssey shows me that things we'll have to consider for other existing awards if a new one does not cover them would be:

*Supporting characters (Cappy, Pauline, Glydon, Talkatoo, Jaxi, Tiara, the dozen generic Toads if they matter)
*Species (Bonneters, Tostarenans (overlap with Chincho species?), Lochladies, Steam Gardeners, New Donkers (humans?), Shiverians, Bubblainians, Volbonans, Frogs, Moe-Eyes, Dogs, Astro-Lanceurs, Bitefrosts, Burrbos, Chinchos, Gushens, Komboos, Magmatos, Moonsnakes, Pokios, Sherms, Stairface Ogers, T-Rex, Trapeetles, Uproots, Urban Stingbys, Urban Stingy Larvae, Yoofoes, and several new variations of existing species)
-Do note that not every single one of these has to be represented, this is just the pool to work from
-The greater exposure of existing species may up their vote count or put them in a position to consider them as a formal nominee (Kleptos, Maw-Rays, Fire Bros., Parabones, Ty-Foos, etc.)
*Captures (Capture), which there is a convenient list for, with 52 options for us to boil down to 15. This has overlap with Species, of course, and can absorb things like Frogs and Moe-Eyes.
*Broodals (Topper, Hariet, Spewart, Rango, Madame Broode)
-There are 5 of the which is our bare minimum for a number of nominees in an award, but I don't feel that this would be a very strong award or anything that would last more than a year
*Kingdom Bosses (Madame Broode, Knucklotec, Torkdrift, Bowser, Mechawiggler, Mollusque-Lanceur, Cookatiel, Ruined Dragon, RoboBrood)
*Items and Collectibles (Hearts and Life-Up Hearts; Moon Shards, Multi Moons, and Power Moons)
*Kingdoms (Bonneton, Cap Kingdom; Fossil Falls, Cascade Kingdom; Tostarena, Sand Kingdom; Lake Lamode, Lake Kingdom; Steam Gardens, Wooded Kingdom; Nimbus Arena, Cloud Kingdom; Forgotten Isle, Lost Kingdom; New Donk City, Metro Kingdom; Shiveria, Snow Kingdom; Bubblaine, Seaside Kingdom; Mount Volbono, Luncheon Kingdom; Crumbleden, Ruined Kingdom; Bowser's Castle, Bowser's Kingdom; Honeylune Ridge, Moon Kingdom; Peach's Castle, Mushroom Kingdom; Rabbit Ridge, Dark Side; Culmina Crater, Darker Side)
-These names are pretty wordy to include both the location and kingdom, and I would prefer to list them just as the Kingdoms
-This may have overlap as a new award, as well as inclusion in M13 Favorite Level Theme and M28 Favorite Game Setting
*Clothing/Outfits (Crazy Cap), which there is a convenient list for along with Souvenirs in case those matter enough

The large amount of new species alone overwhelms the existing M14 Favorite Species award so I'd like to see a new award that takes that on somehow, although it potentially being redundant. The Residents could maybe be an award (Bonneters, Tostarenans, Shiverians, etc.)?

Ultra Violet

Wiki Patroller
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
I think Kingdom Bosses would be the strongest option if we were to do a character poll regarding Super Mario Odyssey. I feel they leave more of an impact on people playing the game than supporting characters.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
If we do one with costumes I unironically would like to see if we could include Peach's costume changes

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
For the first meeting we don't have to have this all completely figured out, but I would like to see if we could decide on a direction and a few set awards to go with so we can start making more specific decisions

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Captures and Outfits seem to be the popular choice, as all of the other categories can fit into pre-existing awards. We can begin directing this topic into here unless there's more Odyssey-specific discussion to be had.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
So hey, out of this convenient list of 52 options (Capture), what are everyone's favorite captures? If desired I can just make a 52-option poll to run in this thread :pgp:

Ultra Violet

Wiki Patroller
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
Well, I have several

T-Rex
Pokio
Glydon
Banzai Bill
Sherm <- this one is my favorite
Bowser

I think captures that simply lead players to another portion of the level (such as Taxi or Rocket) can be left out as they really...don't do anything.

Etemon

That's what I call hamburgers
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
Baby Luigi said:
Well, I have several

T-Rex
Pokio
Glydon
Banzai Bill
Sherm <- this one is my favorite
Bowser

I think captures that simply lead players to another portion of the level (such as Taxi or Rocket) can be left out as they really...don't do anything.
Are you trying to leave out the best capture: Taxi?
also uproot
goomba tower
tree/cactus

Ultra Violet

Wiki Patroller
Poll Committee
Pronouns
She/her
MarioWiki
Ray Trace
As much as I wanted to adore The Best Capture Concept In The Game, I wanted more out of it rather than a method to get to another level. I was instantly crushed to see that you won't be driving around as it freely New Donk City, it was just a glorified teleporter if you will.

How could you forget Steak Slab? Or Boulder?

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
I have added a poll with every option possible so that we could come to a solid and final conclusion without too much messy debate. The poll to select 15-18 nominees for Favorite Capture will run for several weeks or until it is needed to be complete, of which a warning will come with ample time before. With 16 of us in this committee, there must be at least 9 votes locked in on this before we consider it as an official result. Happy voting!

Gabumon

Data type
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Bloc Québécois said:
Are you trying to leave out the best capture: Taxi?
Excuse me? I think you mean Meat Mario.

Tyrell Badd

"The hated boss who beats you down..."
Chat Administrator
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff
Pronouns
He/him
i really cant take this award seriously if we're just going to ignore the true best capture

Puzzle Part

Gabumon

Data type
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Anyway, I think some of these could be grouped together.

Frog

Spark pylon

Paragoomba, Parabones --same controls

Chain Chomp, Big Chain Chomp, Broode's Chain Chomp --same controls

T-Rex

Binoculars

Bullet Bill, Knucklotec's Fist, Banzai Bill --same controls

Moe-Eye

Goomba

Glydon

Lakitu

Cheep Cheep, Cheep Cheep (Snow Kingdom) --same thing, different colors

Poison Piranha Plant, Fire Piranha Plant -- same thing, different elements

Uproot

Fire Bro, Hammer Bro --essentially same controls

Sherm

Coin Coffer

Tropical Wiggler

Pole, Volbonan -- functionally very similar

RC Car

Ty-foo

Shiverian Racer

Gushen

Lava Bubble

Pokio

Chargin' Chuck

Bowser

Yoshi

Cactus, Zipper, Puzzle Part (Lake Kingdom), Tree, Boulder, Picture Match Part (Goomba), Manhole, Bowser Statue, Jizo, Letter, Puzzle Part (Metro Kingdom), Picture Match Part (Mario) --only purpose is to move an object out of the way or to a specific point

Mini Rocket, Taxi, Meat -- these are essentially just glorified gates to a new area

Out of these, I think my choices would be:

Spark Pylon -- Not very impressive, but used very often. Makes a cool sound when used. Idk.

T-Rex -- I don't actually like this capture very much because it's clunky, but it's been heavily promoted so I'd feel weird not having it.

Goomba -- Used very often, cute, they stack, who wouldn't want to be a goomba?

Glydon -- Used a lot, flying is fun or something, etc.

Uproot -- interesting gimmick

Sherm -- interesting gimmick

Tropical Wiggler -- interesting gimmick

Shiverian Racer -- I hate this, but it's an important capture for the Snow Kingdom bouncy crap

Gushen -- interesting gimmick

Pokio -- perfection

Bowser -- very cool when it happens

Yoshi -- unfortunately inevitable

Paragoomba/Parabones -- why not

Cheep Cheep -- fish is good for you

Fire Bro/Hammer Bro -- hammers

Chargin' Chuck -- yeah

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Be sure to vote in this poll soon, and if you are unable to vote for reasons such as not owning the game to please say so so we can determine if enough opinions have been entered!

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
The nominees for Favorite Capture ended up being:

Pokio, Tropical Wiggler, Bowser, Gushen, T-Rex, Chargin' Chuck, Glydon, Sherm, Uproot, Goomba, Frog, Yoshi, Lakitu, Parabones/Paragoomba, Hammer Bro/Fire Bro, Lava Bubble

Please select 15 out of these 52 options that you would like to see on a Favorite Capture award (name tbd)?

Frog
6 (4.2%)
Spark pylon
2 (1.4%)
Paragoomba
2 (1.4%)
Chain Chomp
1 (0.7%)
Big Chain Chomp
0 (0%)
Broode's Chain Chomp
1 (0.7%)
T-Rex
7 (4.9%)
Binoculars
0 (0%)
Bullet Bill
3 (2.1%)
Moe-Eye
3 (2.1%)
Cactus
1 (0.7%)
Goomba
6 (4.2%)
Knucklotec's Fist
1 (0.7%)
Mini Rocket
0 (0%)
Glydon
7 (4.9%)
Lakitu
5 (3.5%)
Zipper
0 (0%)
Cheep Cheep
3 (2.1%)
Puzzle Part (Lake Kingdom)
0 (0%)
Poison Piranha Plant
0 (0%)
Uproot
7 (4.9%)
Fire Bro
2 (1.4%)
Sherm
7 (4.9%)
Coin Coffer
1 (0.7%)
Tree
1 (0.7%)
Boulder
0 (0%)
Picture Match Part (Goomba)
0 (0%)
Tropical Wiggler
9 (6.3%)
Pole
1 (0.7%)
Manhole
0 (0%)
Taxi
2 (1.4%)
RC Car
3 (2.1%)
Ty-foo
1 (0.7%)
Shiverian Racer
3 (2.1%)
Cheep Cheep (Snow Kingdom)
0 (0%)
Gushen
8 (5.6%)
Lava Bubble
4 (2.8%)
Volbonan
0 (0%)
Hammer Bro
5 (3.5%)
Meat
1 (0.7%)
Fire Piranha Plant
0 (0%)
Pokio
10 (7%)
Jizo
0 (0%)
Bowser Statue
1 (0.7%)
Parabones
6 (4.2%)
Banzai Bill
2 (1.4%)
Chargin' Chuck
7 (4.9%)
Bowser
9 (6.3%)
Letter
0 (0%)
Puzzle Part (Metro Kingdom)
0 (0%)
Picture Match Part (Mario)
0 (0%)
Yoshi
5 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Within the next few days if we can figure out a way to formulate nominees for a Favorite Costume award, then I could make a poll similar to Capture about it if there's an abundance of nominees, or we could brainstorm other options.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pronouns
He/him
Pretty much all of the costumes listed in Crazy Cap won't be an issue; there's only a few that would need to have a set named by us or are hat-only. Accordingly, we went and did that since they were pretty intuitive and now there's a big poll up top for it to vote in just like we did with Capture!

The wiki does not have a list of Peach's costumes, so I did not include it in this poll, and likewise with Bowser. If they are desired, we can add them in per our standard approach or removing the least popular current option.