Welcome to The Glitz Pit! (rename complete)

What should the Mafia board be renamed to?

• Strategy

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • The Glitz Pit

Votes: 21 60.0%
  • Pianta Parlor

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • D&D (Detectives and Despair)

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

Sou Hiyori

miss sara it seems i'm stuck on marioboards.com
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Awards Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Re: Potential Closure of the Mafia Board

GBA ninja'd me as soon as I got off my butt to start typing this reply but yeah. I don't think it's bad to be hopeful, I'm more in favor of shelving the board still but all-in-all the MHG needs to go even if the board doesn't, I think. Mafia just doesn't need that level of moderation and policy-making anymore; I've never seen their staff board myself but I can imagine it's pretty dead.

And yeah, that's basically what I was saying earlier re: Elimination. There's no chance of it coming back because there's nothing to spice it up at all. Mafia can still have variations to an extent even if we've played a ton of them.

Reko Yabusame

I love theming after games I have never played!
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee

as someone who has access to the mafia hosts guild staff board:

five topics had their last post in 2017
seven more had their last post in 2016

everything else is at least two years old

mhg is dead boys

(also i'm down for making this board hold other stuff; we could use it for killing games that aren't Awards or Shroom, for example)

Rowlf the Dog

Ace Pianist

i defintitely think that it's time the mhg is abolished. even if you did restaff it with 4-5 active people who would be willing to host games (where would you try and find those though?), that still won't solve the activity problem because just as there is a lack of hosts, there's just as much a lack of players. when mafia was in it's heyday, most games would get around 20 to 30 players, but now you'd be lucky to get more than 16, and that just simply isn't something the mhg, or anyone really, can actively 'fix'. there's still people around who you'd be able to ask for help hosting if you need to, they just won't have a fancy custom title (which half the mhg don't have anyway because they're got other positions around the community)
the mhg has simply run its course, imo

i'm not opposed to either way of dealing with the mafia board, but i do agree that if the mafia board stays, it should be repurposed to include any other similar types of games. although i'm still not too certain how big the demand will be for those right now either tbh, killing game is doing well but definitely seems to be a huge commitment to host and play, so not sure how many of those would happen per year? i guess time will tell.
if we do get rid of it, it should still be simple enough to keep track of games, especially if they're able to still get stickied. it's not like there'll be 10+ games running at once. there might be one, maybe two if you're lucky, should be more than easy enough to keep track of.

freakworld

El Psy Kongroo
Banned User

yeah elimination died when mcs faded into obscurity pretty much

Dr. Javelin

Nathan Latsk

tfw you were right about the mhg being useless all those years ago

now i have another excuse to act smug

Super Mario Bros.

Oh boy! Haha!
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff

I hope it doesn't seem presumptuous of me to comment on this having just returned, but I've wanted to comment on this for a while seeing as I co-created the Guild with Stooben.

When we created the Guild, we initially envisioned it being a panel of experienced hosts that could help newer ones develop their ideas and loosely coordinate the ever-expanding amount of games (which was becoming a bit unwieldy at the time). When it was still just a concept, I think the idea was that it would eventually admit most, if not all, people that have hosted games and that the "Guild Ambassador" would simply be a custodian of the board selected by the hosts. It was supposed to be more of a collaboration than an authority on mafia.

Of course, once the Guild was put into practice, things got convoluted; it's safe to say that the original point was lost in minutia. With discussions of determining the qualities of an "experienced host," a bunch of unnecessary votes and policies were made in order to appear professional and to make the guild exclusive. I regrettably was a part of this confusion, being caught up in establishing the board and trying to make it consequential. Ironically, the MHG has probably become the only useless staff panel on the forum, a vestige of the time when mafias took the Mario Boards by storm.

The original goal of the project can be realized with or without a staff board and a rank. If there is ever a sudden explosion of mafia games on the forum, hosts should work together to make it work. I will not answer as to whether the Guild should be reformed or gotten rid of, but I will say this: if it stays, then the silly constitution should be stripped and voting should be limited to internal procedures, not policies that actively affect ongoing games.

EDIT: That being said, even as one of the creators of the Guild, the admission policies are so restrictive that I cannot qualify for membership if I reapplied. I think that speaks volumes as to how exclusive the process is (and should not be)!

Keiji Shinogi

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Former 'Shroom Staff

Alright, my opinion on this matter has now become a lot less drastic, and I would like to offer a revised course of action for the Mafia board.

The Mafia board will not be collapsed into Archives and Forum Games, and instead repurposed to hold other types of games such as non-event Killing Game instalments, Secret Hitler, Survivor and other RP forum games in general. This should not only incentivise people to try their hand at hosting a variety of new games, but give the board more functionality and flexibility. I'd personally like to rename this board to something Mario-related that encompasses these games thematically, so suggestions for a new name would be nice.

Secondly, we will disband the MHG entirely. Like SMB has kindfully explained, its original purpose was muddied and theres a large stigma attached to it, not to mention the Mafia board doesnt need such severe regulating anymore. Any real issues can be dealt with by the global mods, and my position as a local mod and Ambassador has always been to simply to sticky, lock and move topics so they don't have to because there aren't any HUGE issues.

I also need public opinion on whether a local mod is even necessary anymore, because if the guild implodes I can either still remain the local mod, or we can just refresh the board with some new general stickies and no longer have stickies or locks for game threads, making a local mod unnecessary.

In any case, my new suggestion is that the guild will be closed and archived in staff boards. The board will be repurposed and renamed. I'll change the poll to reflect this new idea.

Reko Yabusame

Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee

I am completely on board with this new course of action.

As for a local mod, I don't mind you staying on as one just to keep organizational purposes easy, but there's definitely no need for any kind of large organization anymore.

Lord Bowser

listen
Poll Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Re: Potential Restructure of the Mafia Board (new poll)

if local mods do stay, though, how will they be decided? would gba just be local mod indefinitely until he picks a successor, will there be a routine election, etc

Reko Yabusame

Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee

Lord Bowser said:
if local mods do stay, though, how will they be decided? would gba just be local mod indefinitely until he picks a successor, will there be a routine election, etc
honestly i feel local mod until he hands over power/disappears and needs to be replaced is the simplest method. an election feels unnecessary for something as small as this compared to the guild ambassador thing/shroom director/poll director/awards director; local mods just feel like something best decided behind the scenes

Keiji Shinogi

Former 'Shroom Staff

yeah see that's the issue i wanted to avoid, there's no real selection purpose if the guild is disbanded so if i were to stay itd just be until i ever kick the forum bucket and leave and then someone new would be chosen by the community, i guess

i really dont care what happens either way

edit: from Perch in IRC

10:32:03 am <Raiko_Chaorikawa> during the MHG's tenure, the local mod position was a side-effect of becoming a Guild Ambassador
10:32:19 am <Raiko_Chaorikawa> this made it a side-effect of let's call it a Community Position
10:32:28 am <Raiko_Chaorikawa> similiar to awards, shroom, and poll local mods
10:32:36 am <Raiko_Chaorikawa> however, now the MHG is being disbanded entirely
10:32:43 am <Raiko_Chaorikawa> as a result, the mod position is becoming standalone
10:32:56 am <Raiko_Chaorikawa> that, i feel, transisitions it from a Community Position into a /Staff/ Position
10:33:06 am <Raiko_Chaorikawa> which means, imo, it should be treated like any other staff job
10:33:13 am <Raiko_Chaorikawa> direct appointment and indefinite tenure

fantanoice

I can see through time

Or even something like Glitzville

Keiji Shinogi

Former 'Shroom Staff

With an overwhelming majority vote, we will be dismantling the Mafia Hosts Guild and archiving its board within the coming weeks, and will be taking suggestions for a new name for the board, which will be repurposed to include more kinds of roleplaying games. I hope to have both accomplished by the end of the month.

In the meantime, please suggest new names for the board! I'd absolutely love something Mario-related, but Strategy is my suggestion and would encompass all games we hope to host on here. Certainly open to better ideas, though! :ashley:

Sou Hiyori

miss sara it seems i'm stuck on marioboards.com
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Awards Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff
Re: Restructure of the Mafia Board (suggest names!)

Pianta Parlor because they were Mafioso in ttyd and stuff. I actually remembered that while typing this, originally I was just gonna suggest the name

Maybe its not obvious enough though

fantanoice

I can see through time

Kokichi Ouma said:
Pianta Parlor because they were Mafioso in ttyd and stuff. I actually remembered that while typing this, originally I was just gonna suggest the name

Maybe its not obvious enough though
I really like this idea but that spelling of parlour is going to bother me forever

Hobbes

Star Spirit
Retired Wiki Staff
Former 'Shroom Staff

I liked what I think LB suggested, The Glitz Pit

Keiji Shinogi

Former 'Shroom Staff

Ill be putting all of these names in a poll in a few days time

Keiji Shinogi

Former 'Shroom Staff
Re: Restructure of the Mafia Board (vote for names!)

All of the current suggestions have been put into a poll, so please vote! The more decisive we can be, the more likely Porple will approve the change, so make your vote count! :waluigi:

Reko Yabusame

Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee

okay but the pianta parlor is literally the mafia

it's far more related than the glitz pit is

Lord Bowser

listen
Poll Committee
Former 'Shroom Staff

yeah but the glitz pit is hella shady and grubba was a mastermind who executed his champions for his own benefit

its mario killing game