Welcome to The Glitz Pit! (rename complete)

What should the Mafia board be renamed to?

• Strategy

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • The Glitz Pit

Votes: 20 62.5%
  • Pianta Parlor

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • D&D (Detectives and Despair)

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

Raihan

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff
Heya, prepare yourself for another Mafia-related Wall of Text.

When this place was in its early days, long before I ever joined yet alone knew what a forum was, a game known as Mafia was introduced to the Marioboards. Normally a fast-paced party game, forum mafia has evolved from simple rounds among friends to become an in-depth social commitment that spawns lies, deceit, and drags on for many weeks. In time, its popularity became notable and watching people attempt to guage emotions and lies through simple text was exciting to many, not to mention the creativity on display from many hosts as new roles were invented and implemented.

Eventually, Mafia began to dominate the designated sub-board for forum games, so much that an entirely new containment board had to be created, and a guild elected from the more passionate Mafia affictionados in an attempt to govern and regulate the games being played.

Its popularity remained so immense that for 5 to 6 years afterward, members of the community new and old would frequently join an annual Awards Mafia which remained far more experimental and chaotic than anything else hosted during the year.

Many community members have made long-lasting friendships and memories on this very board, so as current MHG Ambassador and someone who has certainly devoted a concerning amount of time and effort towards these games, it is with a heavy heart that I propose we should retire the Mafia forum for good.

This board served a singular purpose, and that was to contain and streamline the overwhelming mass of Mafia games that clogged the forum games board. The Mafia Hosts Guild was established because this popularity was seen as something that needed to be regulated and contained by more experienced members, as many people would become soon overwhelmed from signing up for too many Mafias, or from people being deliberately intrusive. Self-regulation, ambassador elections, access bans, consitutions, The Schedule--all efforts implemented by members of the MHG to curtail this popularity, and Mafia became serious business for a very long time. This has resulted in debates over meaningless things that should never have occurred, including the infamous shedule abolishment. Even now, this post you're reading is verrrrryyyy srs bns :yoshi:

But, as you'd expect from repeatedly playing games in a tightly-knit community, scumtells became obvious, the meta became passive-aggressive, time to commit to forum gaming became sparse, players grew tired of playing with each other and abandoned the games entirely. This was corrected by a flux of new players almost every year, until very recently, that is. The Marioboards are not as lively and diverse as they used to be, and while there are still plenty of new games and people willing to commit time and effort to games like Mafia, we've reached an overall drought and stagnation that has resulted in small games becoming a monthly appearance, and large role-madness games almost on the scale of Awards Mafia ceasing to exist entirely.

So even if you didn't manage to survive that late night history lesson, one look at the activity of the forum and it is clear the Mafia board's original purpose has been long outlived, and it is time for us to close this chapter of the community.

I would like to know what public opinion is on the idea that the contents of this board, and all of its now unused threads, should be merged with the Mafia Archives and the board locked entirely. Of course, the Mafia Hosts Guild will be entirely abolished as well, finally, and the board itself likely privately archived. I do not realistically see Mafia ever achieving the popularity it once had on these forums again.

In this scenario, Mafia games will continue to be played and hosted, but on the Forum Games parent board, and all threads like the FAQ, Roles List and whatnot will still be readable in Archives. Games can be moved to Archives when appropriate, but the general idea is that the Mafia Board and Mafia Hosts Guild don't need to exist anymore.

it's endgame boys

freakworld

El Psy Kongroo
Banned User
Re: Potential Closure of the Mafia Board

2017: userpedia and mafia die

i dread to see 2018 roll along

Icemario

Star Spirit

Rohan Kishibe said:
I would like to know what public opinion is on the idea that the contents of this board, and all of its now unused threads, should be merged with the Mafia Archives and the board locked entirely. Of course, the Mafia Hosts Guild will be entirely abolished as well, finally, and the board itself likely privately archived.
yeah I think that's perfectly appropriate

Rohan Kishibe said:
I do not realistically see Mafia ever achieving the popularity it once had on these forums again.
this is the saddest thing but it's so painfully true

Vote: Close

rip

freakworld

El Psy Kongroo
Banned User

well i mean tbh both this and the userpedia closure are just sideeffects of everyone growing up and becoming busier

there is still a steady influx of new people, but they hardly ever stick around for long anymore, simply because the age gap between these new users and the majority of the core userbase is growing ever so bigger and our interests, aside from mario, also deviate hugely.

but maybe that isn't a topic for this thread

Raihan

Core 'Shroom Staff

freakworld said:
well i mean tbh both this and the userpedia closure are just sideeffects of everyone growing up and becoming busier

there is still a steady influx of new people, but they hardly ever stick around for long anymore, simply because the age gap between these new users and the majority of the core userbase is growing ever so bigger and our interests, aside from mario, also deviate hugely.

but maybe that isn't a topic for this thread
I also think that forums in general are becoming sparse due to larger conglomerates such as Reddit and Discord being more suited to fast-paced prime interest discussion. MarioWiki and its older extended community are directly affected by this as time goes on because newer members aren't getting what theyre after here and thus don't stick around for the Benefits of sick mafia games because there are other places to go at a moments notice

freakworld

El Psy Kongroo
Banned User

that too yeah

also discord is so incredibly more convenient than anything else so everything just goes on there nowadays

Hobbes

Star Spirit
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
Retired Wiki Staff

So, I voted no. I know from seeing the current results that my opinion is in a very minor minority and probably for good reason, I think the MHG and its Ambassador know better what's the best course of action. I don't intend to stop this from happening or to sway people towards voting no, I just want to voice my honest opinion. I think archiving the board is just shuting the door to a potential second coming of mafia. Activity has been on the low for about a year and a half but who knows how things will look like in a year or so? Keeping the board does not pose a hassle (AFAIK) and I feel having it there may encourage more people to take on mafia than if people were to see it all as a locked archives board. Maybe it's just an emotional attachment from me, because I remember every game I have played right from the very first Werewolf hosted by Stoob up to the last Awards Mafia and I want to hope many more of them will come. I may be hanging on to false hopes, but I couldn't bring myself to vote yes.

Hibiki Tachibana

Gekisou Gungnir
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee

while i have no complaints with abolishing the MHG and archiving (but not deleting because i get all Weird about deleting boards with all their threads) the MHG boards i think outright moving every mafia thread to archives, shutting the board down, and stuffing mafia games into forum games is moderately overkill

i recognize that mafia is basically dead and doesn't really need a board proper but i simply think that's an overly drastic action; i would like to point out the elimination games board which is barely used but has been allowed to die naturally without the need to make a full-blown archiving of it

so i feel we could allow mafia to be the same, and leave the board fallow with the occasional game being played, exactly like the elimination board is right now

fantanoice

I can see through time

Big reputation, big reputation. Ooh, you and me, we got big reputations. Ahhhh~

Voting no because I don't want to see this board gone - especially if we're still keeping the Counting Games board. XP Even though I can see your reasoning, given the popularity of Killing Game it's evident that there's still interest for these hidden info games (Killing Game Hosts Guild). I don't think Mafia will ever be as big as it once was but I can see the niche for it.

A big problem has been the lack of leadership from the MHG over the past year. When I started playing a few years ago there were 4-5 members and they all regularly ran games in addition to playing them. They would also make discussions to get feedback and keep their interest beyond the games. I understand that running games is a big time commitment on top of this and other roles but not having them really put a halt on things. If people want to give the board one last go then I think the whole team bar GBA needs to be replaced and regular games need to come back.

An example structure could be have 4 members on the guild (inc. the leader) and someone from the group runs a game every quarter. 1 game per year seems manageable and staff / members can still organise their own games outside of these dedicated ones as well.

Another option is making this a more general, 'hidden info games' board and open it up to Killing Games, Secret Hitlers and such. The Hosts Guild would still need to have a big presence.

Tl;dr, voting no, need to replace the people in MHG, they need to run games regularly, potentially open the board up to other games like Killing Game and Secret Hitler.

freakworld

El Psy Kongroo
Banned User

i mean i want to host mafia here again and i do see theres still a demand but i dont think the full blown MHG/extra sub-board tour does it justice anymore, there's just far too few games nowadays for that, which is why i voted yes.

MrConcreteDonkey

Noisemaster
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff

Maybe abolishing the MHG should be a different question? Otherwise, I don't really see any harm in keeping the board around.

Hibiki Tachibana

Gekisou Gungnir
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee

Noisemaster said:
Maybe abolishing the MHG should be a different question? Otherwise, I don't really see any harm in keeping the board around.
i would prefer being able to decide "do we keep the mafia board" and "do we keep the MHG" as separate questions, since i'm fully in support of winding down and ending the hosts guild for good despite not supporting the idea of shuttering the board

and this is coming from someone in the mhg

DragonFreak

Everything that drowns me makes me wanna fly!

I voted no for the sole fact that I don't think the Mafia board itself should be closed, especially when there are boards that are equally as inactive (i.e. Game with friends, Elimination).

As for the MHG, yeah there's probably no point anymore, as sad as I am to say it.

freakworld

El Psy Kongroo
Banned User

i mean tbh if were shuttering the board we should shutter all other forum games sub boards too

Hobbes

Star Spirit
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
Retired Wiki Staff

I think restructuring the Guild as Fanta suggested would be good, to have them push for a revival of mafia.

DragonFreak

Everything that drowns me makes me wanna fly!

Hobbes said:
I think restructuring the Guild as Fanta suggested would be good, to have them push for a revival of mafia.
TBH this isn't going to happen. Back in 2015 (I think idk time) I was second in command of the MHG and BMB and I tried VERY hard to push for a revival. And it just didn't work. And if it didn't work back then, it's not going to work now.

Edit: Not trying to be negative just realistic. I don't like how dead Mafia has become either, but I've just accepted it as fact that it'll never be as it once was.

Roserade

"Write your way into his heart..."
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee

I'm voting no because I'm not really seeing a point in abolishing the board. Yeah, things are slow there, but it's still an organized place for people to be open to put their game threads, lounge threads, and thoughts on their games. In terms of lack of interest in Mafia now, the Awards Mafia had thirty players, and while it may be an exception due to the fact it was for Awards, I'd point at it as proof that people are still willing to play Mafia. Star Mafia happened since then, so did Superstar Saga Mafia, and Merry Mafia will be starting in the next day or two.

Basically, I don't know what good merging Mafia into the general mother-board would do for anybody interested in Mafia, who I think is still there.

In terms of Mafia Hosts Guild, I would point towards what Fanta said as a structure, but even then, it's nice to just be able to say, "Oh yeah, that person can help me with planning or hosting my game if I need."

Stargazing

Celestial Guide

i also voted no. i’m in favour of superchao’s opinion, winding down the mafia hosts guild, but still keeping the board. shoving the games into the forum games board will make it confusing

Icemario

Star Spirit

Thought about it some more, my feelings have shifted to saying no here.

Miu Iruma said:
stuffing mafia games into forum games
this would probably kill mafia even more, actually

not only would the lack of a Mafia board probably mislead any new users into thinking that mafia can't still be played here, the threads for any games that would be played in the Forum Games parent board would be quickly buried by the other more posted in threads in Forum Games, which just doesn't rub me the right way and that might be more troublesome than keeping the Mafia board, if that was troublesome in the first place

freakworld said:
i mean tbh if were shuttering the board we should shutter all other forum games sub boards too
yeah pretty much

Generally, I really don't see the Mafia board having a second wind, but its burial isn't really necessary especially as it's actually not entirely dead. Per Superchao.

Shygul

'sup

if the occasional games we do have are put in regular forum games it'd get confusing for the hosts and players since they would easily get buried. Unless they were stick-ied immediately which wouldn't be hard and im sure the higher ups have already thought of this. Honestly though it makes me sad to see this place dying. I could actually see mafia maybe making a comeback if it completely dies off for awhile. planting the same place excessively depletes nutrients, but if you come back after a few years, you can get another good harvest. voting no

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee

Merry Sithmas said:
I could actually see mafia maybe making a comeback if it completely dies off for awhile. planting the same place excessively depletes nutrients, but if you come back after a few years, you can get another good harvest. voting no
This is almost the same argument made about userpedia for about 5 years and look where that went.

I think saying "but it would be too confusing" is underestimating people's intelligence, honestly. I don't think it'd be excessively difficult to get used to; I guess it's a bit of a different boat considering no deletion, but people were panicked about the loss of organizability and order when the schedule died, and then the board ended up fine. And I mean, I'm not opposed to axing elimination either just because it's entirely fucking useless. There's a basically 0% chance it's making a comeback.

Raihan

Core 'Shroom Staff

Even if the board is kept, the guild needs to be abolished, because there is nothing more to govern anymore and its purpose was questionable at best. People pushing for a "revival" of the board by refreshing members and forcing people to host will be met with resistance and won't get one because people just dont want to host games, and we've had multiple topics in the MHG discussing revivals with the same ideas, and they dont work.

MHG needs to go. I'm waivering on whether the board should stay but if it does then expanding it to other forum games would be a reasonable approach to injecting some kind of life into it.

Elimination is useless now too, honestly.