OFFICIAL FAIL AWARDS IX CEREMONY

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee

Fail Awards IX
featuring the literary and artistic talents of Meta Knight, DragonFreak, Lord Bowser, NEXandGBX, GBAToad, Freakworld, Alex95, Stargazing, MrConcreteDonkey, Superchao, Yoshi2, Uniju, Fawfulthegreat64, LN1, The Pyro Guy, and Mr. Edo
with announcements and janitorial work by Turboo

Hello everyone, and welcome to the ninth annual Fail Awards. As you can see, the opening credits and bold text took up a lot of our budget this year, so you'll all have to make due with this unsuspicious sign I whipped up in about 5 minutes. Perhaps it is fitting that the ceremony devoted to just how terrible some things in Mario can get ended up with this. And yes, for anyone who is new to these, that is quite literally what happens here: we celebrate how badly Nintendo messed up on characters, mechanics, levels, and even entire games and series.

And I'd like to introduce something special for this year's awards! While everyone knows about our acclaimed quality checking process for Community Awards, the Neatness Inspection Concerning Excellent Awards Standards and Superiority: NICE ASS for short, I'm here to show you the counterpart that I made up so I could get out of finishing the real banner:
the Awards Standard System for media Lacking Important, Commendable, and Key Entertainment Requirements: the ASS LICKER program. All of these nominees have received Comic Sans-printed stars for how unbearably awful they are, but only the worst of the worst can truly obtain the golden ASS LICKER award. And that's what we're here to find out: who or what, exactly, managed to be the proverbial turd in the toilet this year?

I hope you all buckle up and enjoy the ride, as well as listen to this year's Fail Awards theme, composed by a master symphonist, because I know I will. Remember to have fun even when I also have to clean up the party afterwards on my own so please leave money in the tip jar

Meta Knight, DragonFreak, & Lord Bowser are up next with F1 - Worst Character!

Meta Knight

Victory is my destiny
Core 'Shroom Staff
F1 - Worst Character is presented to you by Lord Bowser, Meta Knight, and DragonFreak. Please enjoy the comic below in the spoilers which we recommend watching in full screen. Happy awards to all of you!

#
Game
Number of votes
Percentage of votes
1Pink Gold Peach96241.66%
2Kersti25310.96%
3Baby Rosalina23510.18%
4Birdo1024.42%
5Fawful944.07%
6Princess Daisy823.55%
7Lubba763.29%
8Mimi652.82%
8Waluigi652.82%
10Starlow572.47%
11Toad461.99%
12Rosalina431.86%
13Wario421.82%
14Mario361.56%
15Bowser Jr.341.47%
16Petey Piranha271.17%
17Princess Peach200.87%
18O. Luigi50.22%
19O. Bowser40.17%
19O. Dimentio40.17%
21O. Baby Peach30.13%
21O. Huey30.13%
21O. Metal Mario30.13%
21O. Yoshi30.13%
25O. Donkey Kong20.09%
25O. Honey Queen20.09%
25O. Mini Spek20.09%
25O. Prince Haru20.09%
25O. Toadette20.09%
30O. Alex (Mario Tennis)10.04%
30O. Ashley10.04%
30O. Baby Daisy10.04%
30O. Beldam10.04%
30O. Boshi10.04%
30O. Cackletta10.04%
30O. Captain Toad10.04%
30O. F.L.U.D.D.10.04%
30O. Geno10.04%
30O. Goombario10.04%
30O. Grubba10.04%
30O. Kamek10.04%
30O. King Boo10.04%
30O. Lakitu10.04%
30O. Ludwig von Koopa10.04%
30O. Mack10.04%
30O. Mii10.04%
30O. Mole Hunt Proprietor10.04%
30O. Nabbit10.04%
30O. O'Chunks10.04%
30O. Oogtar10.04%
30O. Poochy10.04%
30O. Rabbids10.04%
30O. Salvo the Slime10.04%
30O. Shadoo10.04%
30O. Shunned Guy10.04%
30O. Sonic10.04%
30O. Spritelings10.04%
30O. Sprixie10.04%
30O. Toadsworth10.04%
30O. Wanda (Mario & Wario)10.04%
30O. Wart10.04%
30O. Yakkey10.04%
30O. Zeekeeper10.04%
30O. Zess T.10.04%
Total Votes: 2309
results table design (c) pidgey 2015, probably

NEXandGBX is up next with F5 - Worst Level Concept!

NEXandGBX

One Tough Cream Puff
So, the Mario Awards are here again, eh? I guess I didn't have time to make a comic this year, nor the resources for my idea (nudge nudge wink wink @ the one person who knows what that is), so this time I'll cool it down a bit with some small commentaries. We all have those specific types of levels that annoy us, don't we? Today I'm here to express my ramblings on what you guys voted as the worst ones.

That's basically what these levels are.

5. Purple Coin Missions

To start this list off, we have the Purple Coin Missions from Super Mario Galaxy and its sequel. Essentially, these are the Galaxy series' form of the 100 coin missions from SM64 and SMS. These come in a few flavors (timered and untimered) but who cares, these levels are trash regardless of the condition. When there's a timer, it's usually quite linear, but I really hope you didn't miss too many or else there's no time to go back. Plus, the timer keeps going even after you get the coins. Untimered ones tend to be in large open spaces where you have to scramble to find them and it's aggravating. The one on Battlerock Galaxy is my least favorite, because you're on a slow moving platform and can't backtrack to collect coins you missed. Personally I think getting a comet-sized magnet to pull every Purple Coin Comet in so we don't have to deal with them is a fantastic idea. If Power Stars are an issue, maybe you could deposit the comets into something that churns them into purple coins, put them in a box, and send them to the observatory/faceship.

Ready to roll? Because I'm not.

4. Rolling Ball Galaxies

Did someone say "motion controls"? Yeah, that's pretty obviously the issue here. You have to hold the Wii Remote upright and tilt it in the direction you want to go, which is just as unresponsive as it sounds. Platforming is very awkward as you will either fall off the platform, overshoot and fall off the next platform, or miss altogether and fall to your doom. If you're not going through a bad platforming section, you're usually mostly on-rails, which is boring. Ok, I lied about my least favorite Purple Coin mission: my actual least favorite is Purple Coins on the Rainbow Road. Purple coins with ball controls, a time limit, and you have to restart if you miss 10 or more coins? No thanks. Can we hire a Luma to make a Launch Star to the goal? Maybe use a Sling Pod rental service? No? Ugh.

Scientists say this is the last thing one sees before they skip a level. Could it be God himself?

3. Automatic Levels (SMM)

If you think that a level that plays itself is an interesting idea, you agree with a majority of SMM's playerbase. Short and to the point with this one, they're kind of bland. Once you've played one, you've played them all. Oh, what's that? Mario almost died but was saved by a platform/spring/etc.? Surely I haven't seen that 80 times 5 minutes ago. I'd much rather play a challenging but interestingly designed level than one of these slogs. I couldn't even think of any jokes for them! What a drag.

Just move already.

2. Autoscrolling Levels

One word can be used to describe these levels: slow. Also boring. But mostly slow. These kinds of levels have been all over the Mario franchise but made their debut in Super Mario Bros. 3. The screen moves and you have to go through the level at a slow speed dodging obstacles and making tricky jumps. What would normally be a 2 minute level at your normal speed becomes a 6 minute gauntlet with autoscroll, and I despise that. What's keeping us from moving as fast as we want, anyway? Autoscrollers come in more than one flavor, such as autoscrolling and moving platforms, but no amount of pizazz will change the fact that it's bad as a concept. I guess the main example that comes to mind for me is World 8 from SMB3, which has plenty of tanks and airships, all autoscrolling. Come to think of it, are there any games out there that have a good in-universe reason for autoscrollers? I'd love to see that.

Pictured: Me, working on Awards presentations.

1. Restrictively Low Timers

You could chop off the "restrictively low" from this title and it would still work. Mario games are quite explorative, especially as of recent years. With that in mind, we really don't need timers anymore. If it's a generous time limit, it's pointless because it gives no challenge. If it's a low time limit, you're asking us to find secrets in a level that doesn't want us to do it. Either way, it's useless. I've got stuff I could be doing with that extra time, you know. I really should be getting that collectable I missed soon, but I want to see if I can cheese this platforming section in some way first. Maybe I can find some obscure spot in the level to do an infinite 1-UP trick with this shell I found. I know there's a pipe up ahead that will take me to the next section of the level, but these dash panels are just so fun, fueeeeeeee. You get the picture. But I can't do all that because of this timer of death looming above my head. Like I said with the autoscrollers, has there ever been a good in-universe reason for a time limit to exist? Obviously a low time limit is worse than a big one. Some examples are almost all of New Super Luigi U and some Super Mario Maker levels which...admittedly I'm responsible for some of them. Also, while more of a personal gripe because I recently played it, the trash cleaning missions in Galaxy are, well, trash. If these went away and in return we got, for example, a little more challenging levels, I'd be all for that. Fortunately, Super Mario Odyssey doesn't seem to have these in any form. Hopefully, it stays that way.

#
Game
Number of votes
Percentage of votes
1Restrictively Low Timers46020.81%
2Autoscrolling Levels42319.14%
3Automatic Levels (SMM)28412.85%
4Rolling Ball Galaxies2159.73%
5Purple Coin Levels1767.96%
6Water Levels1526.88%
7“Secret of _” Levels (SMS)1255.66%
8Surfing Galaxies1064.80%
9Ghost Houses853.85%
10Ice Levels793.57%
11Red Coin Missions (SMS)723.26%
12O. Troll Levels (SMM)40.18%
13O. 100 Coin Missions (SMS)20.09%
13O. Cosmic Clone Comets20.09%
13O. Kaizo Levels (SMM)20.09%
13O. Opening Door (Hotel Mario)20.09%
17O. 1 HP Levels10.05%
17O. Airship Levels (NSMBW/NSMBU)10.05%
17O. Blue Coins (SMS)10.05%
17O. Bob-Omb Missions (SMG)10.05%
17O. Bubble Blowing Levels (SMG)10.05%
17O. Cheap Deaths10.05%
17O. Comet Medals (SMG2)10.05%
17O. Expert Mario Maker Levels10.05%
17O. Flying Galaxies (SMG2)10.05%
17O. Green Stars (SM3DW)10.05%
17O. Guessing Game Levels (SMM)10.05%
17O. Hotels (Hotel Mario)10.05%
17O. Pinball Machines10.05%
17O. Poison Jungle Levels10.05%
17O. Shadow Mario (SMS)10.05%
17O. Speedruns (SMM)10.05%
17O. Star Coins10.05%
17O. Super Mario Challenge (SMM3DS)10.05%
17O. The Electric Labyrinth (Motion Controls) (SMG)10.05%
17O. The Chimp Challenges (SMG2)10.05%
17O. You vs. Boo (SMD)10.05%
Total Votes: 2210

GBAToad is up next with F14 - Worst Setting!

King Olly

SPM Trash
Forum Moderator
yay troll levels didn't make it into the top 5 so I'm justified making them as evil as possible in SMM :bowser:

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
DragonFreak said:
I'm surprised Restrictively low timers won. I can't think of many non-SMM levels that have that.
it's in the super mario 3d land/world games

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee

me on my way to page 2

edit:

tfw i'm already on page 2

Raihan

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff
just 
:metal: AESTHETIC :metal: my ▄▀▄▀shit▄▀▄▀ up fa〽

IT’S ALL IN YOUR HEAD LUIGI

sleep now my child
[quote author=ワート]

john maddenjohn maddenjohn maddeneggjohn maddenjohn maddenjohn madden

[/quote]

▄▀▄▀HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MAN?▄▀▄▀

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8Nwz6ej.gif[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8Nwz6ej.gif[/IMG][/td]
[td]john maddenjohn maddenjohn maddeneggjohn maddenjohn maddenjohn madden[/td][td][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8Nwz6ej.gif[/IMG]

luigi you gotta wake up
luigi

luigi can you hear me

luigi

luigi

[td]
[/td]​

also ④. ▄ 

〇〇return of the〇〇
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○bubbles○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

roll that dice

turn 437299432: it's been a year since the accident

my brother
luigi
was trapped in a bubble that fateful day
one year ago they came for us
forced us into bubbles
made us play sadistic minigames for our lives
but at the end of it
most of us escaped with our sanity still in tact
but luigi remains trapped in that bubble, dreaming of a vast ocean
luigi come home

reasons why PARTY ISLANDS came in ▄▀▄▀joint fourth PLACE▄▀▄▀
  • It really boils down to the fickleness of the voters, I mean the top two placings for last year's worst setting are now in joint fourth place, which is unfortunate, but such is life. Maintaining a standard this high for two years in a row is difficult for many people and I'm sure the Party Islands stood down willingly to avoid coping with the stress of the first place position; a courageous and honourable action which lets other settings enjoy their time in the limelight. Bravo, Party Islands, bravo.
  • everything is  still bubbled
  • Star Carnival is still worse.
  • one day my brother will escape the bubble

roll

turn ?

where is he

▄▀▄▀HAVE YOU SEEN THIS MAN?▄▀▄▀

▄▀▄▀END of the▄▀▄▀
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○bubbles○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○

Congratulations, friend! You're halfway through this nightmare!

HAVE SOME NICE MUSIC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85AB1p6wpaY
BEANS
BEANS
BEANS
KAZOOS
BEANS
BEANS
BEANS
YOSHI COINS
BEANS
BEANS
BEANS
the yoshi clan will come for you next
BEANS
BEANS
BEANS
BEANS
BEANS

BEANS
BEANS
BEANS
KAZOOS
BEANS
BEANS
BEANS
YOSHI COINS
BEANS
BEANS
BEANS
the yoshi clan will come for you next
BEANS
BEANS
BEANS
BEANS
BEANS

Positives of Egg Island
Adorable
egg

Islands
Negg
atives of Egg Island
"New"
Why don't we like New Island again?
Oh.
OH
 make IT STOP

MAYBE I’VE ALWAYS HAD A SUBCONSCIOUS FEAR OF THE BUBBLES; A PRIMAL FEAR I NEVER QUITE UNDERSTOOD BUT IT NONETHELESS CAUSED ME TO WAIL IN AGONY WITHIN THE THIN, SOAPY WALLS OF MY TEMPORARY PRISON

i'll save you luigi

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/VuqAliw.png[/IMG]
haha
egg

the egg returns to its home

Raihan

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff

and as i sat there, paralysed with fear, i realised there could only be one creature behind my brother’s kidnapping

him.

:tumble:

i went to his home​

Shroom City is a large city located on an unknown island, which also consists of a city built on the islands ひbelow.

After かthe player finishes making thseir passport, they meet Toaだsあd, who tells them about all of the fun activiへties in Party World. Suddenly, Bあowser and Koopa Kid droぐp in and squishあああああああああ Toad, scattering Gaddgets and ふごgwfminigames all oえver Shroom City. After they leふあ;おふぇgqfave, Toad tells the player togbgふぉうじゃdぐあぽg collect the missing Gaddgeどts and minigames fromf Shroom City's locagろうげふぉああふぁうふぉあsふあおls.

//////it was time for REVENGE//////

Code:
<missing>
The Return of Tumble has begun.
mario, you must defeat tumble to rescue your brother from his bubble

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

!!!!BONUS BOARD!!!!

so i participated

in his game

and won

but

his power was too great

AND SO,
BESTED BY THE EVIL DEMON HIMSELF
I COULD NOT SAVE MY BROTHER FROM THE BUBBLES
HE BANISHED ME TO A LAND WHERE TOAD WAS ALL
AND ALL WAS TOAD
A LAND DECORATED WITH ADHESIVE EVIL
A LAND...​

this cruel world made of paper

foreign food

endless screaming toads

i hope you're out of that bubble luigi
i hope you escaped
i will wait for you

#
Game
Number of votes
Percentage of votes
1Mushroom Kingdom (PM:SS)30416.55%
2Shroom City (MPA)1709.25%
3Egg Island (YNI)1658.98%
4Party Islands (MP:IT)1548.38%
4Subcon (SMB2)1548.38%
6Star Carnival (MP8)1216.59%
7Sprixie Kingdom (SM3DW)1095.93%
8Transformed Wario Castle (WW)1045.66%
9Party Cube (MP4)1025.55%
10Flipside/Flopside & Dimensions (SPM)824.46%
11Pi'illo Island (M&L:DT)723.92%
12The Fun Fair & Surrounding Areas (MPL)713.86%
13Starship Mario & Galaxies (SMG2)633.43%
14DK Isles/Crocodile Isle (DK64)542.94%
15Mushroom Kingdom (SM3DL)522.83%
16Mushroom Kingdom (M&L:PiT)271.47%
17O. Hotels (Hotel Mario)50.27%
18O. Bean Bean Kingdom (M&L:SS)20.11%
18O. Comet Observatory20.11%
18O. Dinohatten20.11%
18O. Isle Delfino20.11%
18O. Mushroom Kingdom (M&L:PJ)20.11%
18O. Mushroom Kingdom (PM)20.11%
18O. Mushroom Kingdom (SMB)20.11%
18O. Rogueport (PM:TTYD)20.11%
18O. Sarasaland20.11%
27O. Donkey Kong Island (DKCR)10.05%
27O. Forbidden Pop-Up Book (YTT)10.05%
27O. MSS Sea Star (MP7)10.05%
27O. Mushroom Kingdom (M&L:PJ)10.05%
27O. Mushroom Kingdom (NSMB)10.05%
27O. Mushroom Kingdom (SMB:TLL)10.05%
27O. The Baseball Kingdom10.05%
27O. The Olympics10.05%
27O. Vibe Island (SPP)10.05%
27O. Wario's Castle10.05%
Total Votes: 1837

Freakworld is up next with F10 - Worst Game Mechanic!