Backstory of mysterious old man in WL4 finally revealed

Shoko

Dry Bowser
Wiki Bureaucrat
'Shroom Consultant
MarioWiki
Shokora
Anyone who's played Wario Land 4 probably remembers the picture of the mysterious old man that appears throughout the level Crescent Moon Village. And as a kid I often wondered who he was.

WL4_Shot_-_Old_Man_Frame.png

About a month ago, I lent my collection of official Wario Land 4 Japanese game guides to a native-speaking friend who was very interested in seeing them. Among other less notable findings, he revealed that this mysterious man actually has a backstory! Here is what he told me.

This man is referred to as mister "Isamu", who may be named by the real navy admiral "Isamu Takeshida". It's written in the book that mister Isamu is remembered in [Crescent Moon] village for commanding a navy force against the evil pirates. These pirates and their shipmates tried to expand their empire and to steal all the coins and glittering jewels from the once peaceful village.

The war-torn village almost fell under this threat, however they were defeated by admiral Isamu. A hundred years later, all that remains of these invaders are ghosts and zombies of their past selves, which remain to guard the village's remaining treasures.

Interestingly, my friend believed that this conflict may have referred to the Russo-Japanese War, in which the navy admiral Isamu Takeshida was responsible for victory. And he seems to resemble what we see in-game:

j7DV7Bn.jpg

And we both believe that the pirate that once threatened Crescent Moon Village was Yūrei, although now he's a lonely ghost who steals the Keyzer for company.

WL4-Captain_Steals_Keyzer.PNG

Interesting stuff!

Wario has the deepest lore

I expect this to be on suppermariobroth in like
2 minutes

I wonder why the developers intend to have this tiny detail in that game. It feels like Wario Land 4 is a fascinating game since it has a book dedicated to it. Does that book mention this tidbit?

Rohan Kishibe said:
I expect this to be on suppermariobroth in like
2 minutes

I wouldn't mind this, as not many people would find this forum for this fun fact.

Thank you for reading.

Man not even my headcanon that the person in the portrait and the pirate ghost are the same person may be right.
winstein said:
I wonder why the developers intend to have this tiny detail in that game. It feels like Wario Land 4 is a fascinating game since it has a book dedicated to it. Does that book mention this tidbit?
I have this book and read it and no it does not.

Weasel said:
still think he looks like dr. wily

So he looks like Einstein then.

Back