General Discussion

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Discuss general things here :poshjr:

This OP will be updated periodically, with other updates in new posts.

#mwikiawards chat party logs

backup logs just in case

If you were wondering why there weren't too many comments in the ceremony threads this year, it's because #mwikiawards was hippity-hoppin' with most of the commentary and interactions! Feel free to peruse these logs of the day.

Awards Ceremony
Friday, August 11th, 2017

Chat Party: - 2:00PM EDT (times as listed by [​time] and EDT)
#mwikiawards @ irc.darkmsy.org

Community Awards X
- 3:00 - Opening Script - Meta Knight
- 3:05 - C1. Favorite 'Shroom Directing Staff - The Pyro Guy
- 3:10 - C3. Favorite Artist - The Pyro Guy
- 3:15 - C9. Favorite Veteran 'Shroom Writer - Gabumon
- 3:20 - C4. Favorite 2016 Awards Presentation - GBAToad
- 3:25 - C11. Best 'Shroom Section Design - Palkia47
- 3:30 - C7. Favorite 'Shroom Core Staff - Meta Knight
- 3:35 - C5. Wiki Contributor Award 2017 - Gabumon
- 3:40 - C8. Favorite Retired 'Shroom Writer - Meta Knight
- 3:45 - C6. Favorite 'Shroom Team - Hypnotoad
- 3:50 - C13. Favorite 'Shroom Special Issue - Tucayo
- 3:55 - C10. Favorite New 'Shroom Writer - The Pyro Guy
- 4:00 - C2. Best 'Shroom Section Artwork - Palkia47 & Stargazing
- 4:05 - C12. Favorite Written 'Shroom Section of the Past Year - Yoshi876
- 4:10 - C14. 'Shroom Person of the Year 2016-2017 - MrConcreteDonkey
- 4:15 - C15. Outstanding Community Achievement Award - Gabumon
- 4:20 - Closing Script - Meta Knight

Fail Awards IX
- 4:35 - Opening Script - Turboo
- 4:40 - F1. Worst Character - Meta Knight, DragonFreak, & Lord Bowser
- 4:45 - F5. Worst Level Concept - NEXandGBX
- 4:50 - F14. Worst Setting - GBAToad (Part 1) (Part 2)
- 4:55 - F10. Worst Game Mechanic - Freakworld
- 5:00 - F8. Worst Mario Kart Course - Alex95
- 5:05 - F4. Worst RPG Area - Stargazing
- 5:10 - F13. Worst Mario Party Minigame - MrConcreteDonkey
- 5:15 - F12. Worst Game Objective - Superchao
- 5:20 - F6. Worst Spin-off - Yoshi2
- 5:25 - F2. Worst 2D Level - Uniju :D
- 5:30 - F9. Worst Direction of Series - Fawfulthegreat64
- 5:35 - F7. Worst Enemy - DragonFreak
- 5:40 - F3. Worst 3D Level - LN1
- 5:45 - F11. Biggest Missed Opportunity - The Pyro Guy
- 5:50 - F15. Most Disappointing Game - Gabumon
- 5:55 - Closing Script - Turboo

Mario Awards XI
- 6:10 - Opening Script - Hypnotoad
- 6:15 - M1. Best Sound Design - DragonFreak
- 6:20 - M27. Favorite Boss Battle - DragonFreak
- 6:25 - M21. Favorite Puzzle Game - Yoshi2
- 6:30 - M28. Favorite Game Setting - Superchao
- 6:35 - M15. Hardest Boss -Lord Bowser
- 6:40 - M20. Favorite Sports Game - Alex95
- 6:45 - M11. Favorite Major Character - BBQ Turtle
- 6:50 - M14. Favorite Species - Nabber & Lord Bowser
- 6:55 - M17. Favorite Mario RPG - The Pyro Guy
- 7:00 - M13. Favorite Level Theme - Gamefreak75
- 7:05 - M26. Favorite 3D Level - Cirdec
- 7:10 - M2. Favorite Mario Kart Game - Magikrazy
- 7:15 - M5. Favorite DK Game - 4td0
- 7:20 - M6. Favorite Wario Game - Nabber
- 7:25 - M29. Favorite Classic Game (N64/GBC and older) - Snack
Intermission
- 7:35 - Bloopers
- 7:45 - M18. Favorite Mario Party Game - Turboo (Part 1) (Part 2)
- 7:50 - M8. Favorite Art Style - Lakituthequick
- 7:55 - M3. Favorite Mario Platformer - Gabumon
- 8:00 - M19. Favorite Actor - Cirdec
- 8:05 - M9. Favorite DLC - Stargazing
- 8:10 - M10. Favorite Partner Developer - Smasher
- 8:15 - M22. Favorite Battle Course - Lakituthequick
- 8:20 - M24. Favorite Wario Character - GBAToad
- 8:25 - M4. Favorite Mario Kart Course - Smg2daisy
- 8:30 - M12. Favorite Supporting Character - Marshal Dan Troop & Hypnotoad
- 8:35 - M7. Favorite Yoshi Game - Meta Knight
- 8:40 - M25. Favorite 2D Level - NEXandGBX
- 8:45 - M23. Favorite DK Character - The Pyro Guy
- 8:50 - M16. Favorite Item - Lakituthequick
- 8:55 - M30. Favorite Modern Game (GCN/GBA and newer) - Toadbert101 & Super-Yoshi (Part 1) (Part 2)
- 9:00 - Closing Script - Hypnotoad

Important Links:

Anniversary Page
Tentative Awards Schedule
2017 Full Awards List
2016 Full Awards List
Historical Results (2015 - )
Historical Results (2007 - 2014)
Awards 2016 Complete Results

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Awards Committee Sign-ups will be posted sometime this Saturday, February 11th! Keep an eye out for the announcement here and on the wiki.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
First meeting time has been moved to .

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
As per a decision to tackle the problem of inflation plaguing our awards token economy, we've taken the first step in our restructuring of token worth, distribution, and prize rates. The timeline we have for this is:

Credit to Edo for spearheading this said:
1. Make a decision on how to handle token deflation
2. Gauge interest in hosting tournaments, map out a tentative list of likely tournaments from that, and try to determine how many tokens that will add to circulation
3. Figure out how many shroom tokens the Shroom will give out, and how many awards tokens we will allocate to that
4. Roughly determine the amount of prizes there will be (this may take a while)
5. Use information from 1,2, 3, and 4 to make an informed decision on how much every prize will cost
Step 1 was finalized in the meeting tonight, which is to deflate the token amounts, dividing by 10, and rounding to the nearest whole number. We realize that at first this looks like we are confiscating tokens, but I assure you that the following steps will result in prize prices being decreased and fall within range for everyone to have a good chance of achieving without necessitating joining every single tournament and dominating.

If there are any questions, comments, or concerns please let us know! We are doing this to make the whole process more fair to everyone, so we appreciate any input. Feel free to check our public meeting logs and the Full List document for the rest of the decisions we have made so far.

2017 Token Sheet

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
01:31 Anton{Politoed} guys i've found it
01:32 Anton{Politoed} illegal footage captured of awards committee meetings
01:32 Anton{Politoed} https://www.instagram.com/p/BFiC_0oKVWy/
01:32 dia lewd
01:32 Anton{Politoed} in the foreground is the rest of the ac
01:32 Anton{Politoed} in the background is me and turb

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
This week there will be no formal AC Meeting, mostly because we don't have anything at the moment to discuss that would adequately fill a full meeting time. Instead, I encourage you all to do what you can to get tournaments started and off the ground, either by creating one, continuing work on one you're doing, encouraging others to start one and join, and join them yourselves!

Prize donation is also critical to this event, so please, if possible, begin collecting donations for that and hold onto them for now. These can include steam games, humble bundle games, game codes for pc and consoles, itunes cards, gift cards of all kinds, etc. etc., or even just flat monetary donations to me for a pool to supply the You-Choice Gift Card prizes. If that it what you'd like to do, I will PM you my paypal link at your request.

Thanks, and keep an eye out for further developments, such as E3 shenanigans, extra help during poll creation and posting, the beginning of presentation selection, and for continuing our plan for overhauling the token economy as tournaments build up! If you have any questions please feel free to ask me.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Just a reminder now that the Steam Summer Sale is going on:

DO NOT BUY STEAM GAMES WITH THE INTENT TO STORE THEM AS PRIZE DONATIONS

you literally can't anymore, you cannot store games in your inventory, nor gift them. As soon as you purchase it it must be immediately sent (or scheduled) to a person directly, and if they do not accept it the game will be refunded. This completely renders our standard system useless, so while you go and write angry letters to gabe do remember that Humble Bundle still exists and will likely have a summer sale as well for the same deals that Steam has.

Games grandfathered in inside inventories remain giftable, but there are no more additions. Please donate either Humble Bundle codes, gift cards, cash, eShop codes, etc., just not Steam games.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Anton said:
POLLS ARE NOW OPEN

*Mario and Fail Awards polls
*Community Awards polls

You can vote once a week on each poll. Voting ends July 17th at 12 PM Eastern. The Anniversary page contains pretty much all information you will need, but if you have any other questions please ask!

VOTE VOTE VOTE
The polls have officially been open for a week now, which means you can start voting again (if you voted as soon as they opened like I did :bowser: ). Feel free to focus your votes on one thing in particular you want to win an award, or if there was something you couldn't decide you are more than welcome to split your votes between multiple nominees within the same award each week!

Also, heads up, in 1 week sign-ups open for presentations for the annual Mario Awards ceremony!!

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
There's still 30 presentation spots left open. If you think you'll have the time, please sign up! Doesn't have to be a masterpiece, you just gotta present the results in a fun way.

https://www.mariowiki.com/MarioWiki:Anniversary#Presentations

https://www.mariowiki.com/MarioWiki:Anniversary/2017/Presentation_Sign-ups

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
OP has been updated with the schedule of ceremony day

I've also been made aware that some documents from awards past are no longer able to be viewed by anyone with a link to them, due to a policy changed by google sometime between the last few years and now. Should you come across one, please don't just ask for access for it through the doc itself since that can appear to be a request for editing privileges (which I won't grant :yoshi:) but also come into here or message me to let me know which ones they are so I can change the settings.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Voting has closed! We'll be working on tallying the results and sending them out to presenters as quickly as possible in the next couple of days.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Tallying is coming along, don't you guys worry. It's just very tedious, very detailed, and very easy to make and miss mistakes, and there's a huge amount of information to process and edit down. Likely just another day or so on the rest of the results that have yet to be sent out, which includes most of Mario and Fail.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
All results for presentation spots that have been filled have been sent out. If you notice any errors please let me know because it's bound to happen, especially dealing with the enormous amount of information that it was.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
With the midway checkpoints mostly answer, here's the updated list of presentation spots that remain open or have opened up:

Open Spots
C9. Favorite Veteran 'Shroom Writer
C4. Favorite 2016 Awards Presentation
C5. Wiki Contributor Award 2017
C8. Favorite Retired 'Shroom Writer
C15. Outstanding Community Achievement Award
F9. Worst Direction of Series

We do have backup presenters dedicated to cover these, but anyone is welcome to take one on if they would like to to help ease the burden

Bowler Hat Guy

Fawfulthegreat64
Y'know I might actually be interested in doing something for Worst Direction of Series. Would I just edit my name onto here or do I have to be approved since I never did anything like this before? :p

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
All you gotta do is confirm to me that you want to do one, and understand the deadline and how to do one. If you're already familiar with past ceremonies and presentations that's a good start.

Bowler Hat Guy

Fawfulthegreat64
Yeah, I'd like to do one. I should be able to make the deadline, assuming it's when the presentations are going live. I've lurked in presentation ceremony threads before but don't believe I posted. Would a commentated video be acceptable? Not saying that's definitely what I'd do but I'd like to know if that's fine anyway. And then when it's done, I just post it in the thread at the correct time, right? With the full results spoilered?

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
They're actually due August 4th to give us time to check them all over and not have to panic about whether one isn't done or not. A commentated video is fine. Basically what the process is once you're like "sure, absolutely, I want to do this" is:
*I'll send you a PM with the results, which will include some other information and pointers
*You work on the presentation between now and whenever you're complete with it, due by August 4th
*You send that presentation to both me and Turb
*We will check it over, plug it into our master script for the ceremony day, add some stuff to it, and eventually send you back a final copy in a quote for you to copy/paste at the time you are due to present. If you are unable to present at that exact time, just let us know and we can post it on your behalf.