Mario Golf: World Tour --- Conclusion; tokens up!

Icemario

Star Spirit

Welcome to the second Mario Golf: World Tournament contest, hosted by yours truly. I'm still working out some kinks, but I figured it would be best to post this here and now to see what numbers I'm working with so I have more time to really plan this out.

Joining:

To sign up, please post your timezone (following my example) and friend code.

PlayerTimezone3DS Friend Code
IcemarioBST (GMT+1)0877-0903-7850
StargazingEST (GMT-4)3625-9730-1869
Crackin355AEST (GMT+10)2878-9691-4693
CirdecCEDT (GMT+2)3050-7875-4833
SKmariomanAEST (GMT+10)2836-0113-6085
StoobenMDT (GMT-6)0490-6623-2941
'3KEST (GMT-4)4468-1118-1311
Viper26EST (GMT-4)2191-9080-8500
PowerKamekEST (GMT-6)5472-8300-4590
SuperchaoEST (GMT-6)3437-3765-2194
LumastarEST (GMT-6)4167-4661-3943

Rules and Format:

This will be a Round Robin tournament; I will be using a point system, and matches will be best out of three using Match Play. As I've decided it now, each win you have over your opponent equals half a point for yourself; so win 2-0, and you get a point, but win 2-1, and you get only half a point. Settings will always be nine holes (front/back), medium wind, and tournament tees, with coins off, flight paths on, and maximum time for turns.

For the first match of a set, the players choose their preferences out of Forest Course, Seaside Course, or Mountain Course and whoever the game selects is where the match will take place. Subsequent matches will be decided by the loser's choice; the options for this are Peach Gardens, Yoshi Lake, Wiggler Park, DK Jungle, or Bowser's Castle. Think of these as starter and counterpick stages (except they're courses), and DLC ones can count as both starter and counterpick assuming the two players have it. The winner of the first/second match can strike two of the five counterpicks, three if 2 DLC courses can be played on, and four if 4 or more of the DLC courses can be played on. However, Sparkling Waters is banned. Alternatively if you wish, you can just choose any stage disregarding that format if both players agree on it, otherwise that's how it'll roll.

As aforementioned, this starts on July 14th. Preferably I'd like players to aim for 3+ matches a week, as my decided deadline is August 11th, which should be waaaaaay more than enough time. If two players cannot play by this time for mutual reasons, I will declare it a tie and neither will receive any points. Each week, there will be at least one in-game tournament as a distraction while players wait for their matches to happen, it will last a week. If we finish earlier, I will increase the rate of side-tournaments until all my planned ones have been run through, at which point I will tally up the scores for everything and share token gain.

I've settled on token distribution being decided by your final point total + a bonus for your ranking, how many matches you've played and how many side tournaments you've entered, with a small bonus for ranking in the top three. However if two scores are tied in these they will receive the same amount of tokens for placement, as giving someone priority due to them getting a good score faster is pretty unfair as we all have different schedules.

Scores + Match History (w/ Tokens!)

Community Code: 13-8426-7965-7417

* = forfeit (no participation bonuses for either party)
** = semi-forfeit (participation bonuses for both parties)

1 - Icemario: 191 tokens
2 - Crackin355: 110 tokens
3 - SKmarioman: 81 tokens
3 - Superchao: 81 tokens
5 - Stooben: 70 tokens
6 - '3K: 68 tokens
7 - Cirdec: 50 tokens
8 - Stargazing: 37 tokens
9 - Viper: 18 tokens
10 - Lumastar: 9 tokens
11 - PowerKamek: 0 tokens

First, the number of played games is multiplied by two; those are your participation tokens for the main tournament. For playing the most games, you are given a bonus in this regard, the highest gets +15 tokens, the second highest gets +10 tokens, and the third highest gets +5 tokens; I handle ties like the Awards Ceremony did.

Next, your point total is converted into tokens, 1 point = 10 tokens, and forfeit points are halved (1 forfeit point = 5 tokens) before being factored into the total, and if the points don't make an integer upon conversion, they get rounded (Crackin had 4.25 points, he got 43 tokens for that). In short, multiply the point total by ten and round to the integer; that is the player's token gain in that regard. Like with played games, players receive bonuses for being one of the top three highest scores; +30 for the highest, +20 for the second highest, and +10 for the third highest.

tl;dr: (Point Total x 10) + (Games Played x 2) = base tokens from main tourney, plus bonuses for getting top rankings, so the most you could receive is 165 tokens if you played against everyone AND won every single game.

For the side tourneys, you would receive 5 tokens for participating in each, and a token bonus for ranking in the top three. +20 for being 1st, +10 for being 2nd, and +5 for being third. The most you could receive here is 100 tokens, so the maximum possible token gain from this tournament would be 265 tokens.

"Week" 1
  • '3K beat Superchao 2-0.
"Week" 2
  • Icemario beat Crackin355 2-1.
  • Icemario beat Cirdec 2-0.
  • Crackin355 beat SKmarioman 2-1.
  • SKmarioman beat Stargazing 2-0.
  • Icemario beat SKmarioman 2-0.
  • Stooben beat Superchao 2-0.
  • Crackin355 beat '3K 2-1.
  • Icemario beat Superchao 2-1.
  • Cirdec beat Stargazing 2-0.
  • Icemario beat Stargazing 2-0.
  • Icemario beat '3K 2-1.
"Week" 3
  • Cirdec beat Superchao 2-0.
  • Icemario beat Stooben 2-0.
  • Cirdec beat Stooben 2-1.
  • Crackin355 beat Superchao 2-0.
  • Stooben beat Stargazing 2-0.
  • Superchao beat Stargazing 2-0.
"Week" 4
  • Crackin355 beat Stargazing 2-0.
Extension Week
  • Superchao beat Lumastar 2-1.
  • '3K beat Stooben 2-0.

Tournaments + Results:

PlacementPlayerScore
1st'3K-11
2ndSKmarioman-10
2ndIcemario-10
4thViper26-6
5thStargazing-5
6thSuperchao+2

PlacementPlayerScore
1stCrackin355-9
1stSKmarioman-9
3rd'3K-8
3rdIcemario-8
5thCirdec-5
6thSuperchao-4

PlacementPlayerScore
1stStooben-4
2ndSKmarioman-2
3rdIcemario-1
4thSuperchao+1

Results:

PlacementPlayerScore
1stIcemario03:06.89
2ndSuperchao03:18.77

Stargazing

Celestial Guide
Re: Mario Golf: World Tour --- Gauging Interest

you have my friend code (3625-9730-1869 iirc), and eastern time

Petra Macneary

"The hated boss who beats you down..."
Forum Moderator
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff

I'm interested in this, but I'll let you know by next week if I can actually sign-up.

(I'm only posting this so you can potentially count me in case there aren't enough people for the tournament.)

Icemario

Star Spirit

I'm gonna bump this in case anyone else cares.

Though at the moment there'll probably just be the round robin portion and maybe just one extra round for the top two, there's too few people to do much more than that.

SKmarioman

King Bowser

AEST (GMT+10), 2836-0113-6085

I really should play this game again.

GutsehMan

Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Paul Heyman.

officially interested, though i'd have to see how the schedule for games works out this year

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff

I barely play, but OK.

MDT, 0490-6623-2941

MST3K

Donkey Kong
Forum Moderator

Absolutely interested.

EST

4468-1118-1311

Icemario

Star Spirit

B-b-b-b-bump, I just want to say that sign-ups close on July 12th, and I'm planning to start the thing on July 14th.

The majority of the details on how this tournament will play out will be given next week most likely.

DragonFreak

Everything that drowns me makes me wanna fly!
Re: Mario Golf: World Tour --- Details

Lyn said:
B-b-b-b-bump, I just want to say that sign-ups close on July 12th, and I'm planning to start the thing on July 14th.
mfw our tournaments start on the same day.

Icemario

Star Spirit
Re: Mario Golf: World Tour --- Details soon!

Okay, so I will be using a point system, and matches will be best out of three using Match Play. As I've decided it now, each win you have over your opponent equals half a point for yourself; so win 2-0, and you get a point, but win 2-1, and you get only half a point.

Settings will be nine holes (front/back), medium wind, and tournament tees, with coins off, flight paths on, and maximum time for turns.

For the first match of a set, the players choose their preference out of Forest Course, Seaside Course, or Mountain Course and whoever the game selects is where the match will take place. Subsequent matches will be decided by the loser's choice; the options for this are Peach Gardens, Yoshi Lake, Wiggler Park, DK Jungle, or Bowser's Castle. Think of this as starter and counterpick stages, and DLC courses can count as both starter and counterpick assuming the two players have it. However, Sparkling Waters is banned.

Alternatively if you wish, you can just choose any stage disregarding that format if both players agree on it, otherwise that's how it'll roll.

Preferably I'd like players to aim for 3+ matches a week, as my preferred end deadline is August 11th, which should be waaaaaay more than enough time. If two players cannot play by this time for mutual reasons, I will declare it a tie and neither will receive any points. Each week, there will likely be at least one tournament as a distraction while players wait for their matches to happen, it will last a week. If we finish earlier, I will increase the rate of tournaments until all my planned ones have been run through, at which point I will tally up the scores for everything and share token gain.

Tokens are not decided by your final point total, but rather your final ranking for the tourney. This applies to the side-tournaments as well, however if two scores are tied in these they will receive the same amount of tokens, as giving someone priority due to them getting a good score faster is pretty unfair as we all have different schedules.

Uhhhh I kind of fell asleep writing this so idk if there's anything else I wanted to say, rip.

Hibiki Tachibana

Gekisou Gungnir
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
Re: Mario Golf: World Tour --- Details!

Y'know, I think I'll join this. EST, friend code is 3437-3765-2194.

Icemario

Star Spirit
Re: Mario Golf: World Tour --- Details soon!

Lyn said:
Uhhhh I kind of fell asleep writing this so idk if there's anything else I wanted to say, rip.
I remembered something.

Kinda minor but the winner can ban two of the five counterpicks (three if 2 DLC courses can be played on, four if all of them can be played on).

Also I'm sending out PMs now in case anyone wants to bail.

EDIT: finally added this to the OP go see

Viper26

King Bowser

I'll play on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and I'll play each person twice on each day

Lumastar

Stay off this text, jerks! He has personal issues.

Ah, why the heck not?

Friend Code: 4167-4661-3943
Time Zone: EST

Icemario

Star Spirit

The tournament has begun! You may begin organizing your matches, you have about a month to do them all!

The first side tournament is on the Forest Course with Regular Tees, weak wind and nine random holes. There are no flight paths at all, so you'll have to trust your instinct here. :bowser:

Code for this side tournament is 60-6062-8454-2008, it ends in a week.