F11 - Biggest Missed Opportunity

Smasher

Smasher
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
This is our new fail award, replacing Worst Galaxy. We have several nominees for it but there's room for more if there's more good suggestions. 22 already brought up the Super Mario Bros. 3 e-Reader cards after the meeting, for example. Also, we're going to add the transgender thing about Vivian and Birdo, but we haven't decided how exactly to add that yet.

Current nominees: Super Mario Spikers cancellation, Mario Takes America cancellation, Donkey Kong Coconut Crackers cancellation, Failure of the Mario Artist series, Mario & Wario not being localized, Wrecking Crew '98 not being localized, Paper Mario: Sticker Star early build, Donkey Kong Racing cancellation, Super Mario's Wacky Worlds cancellation

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
anton wanted me to make a post about why the birdo and vivian nomination is still being discussed

what the nomination refers to, if it wasn't clear, is that in its portrayal of birdo as a delusional male and (in some localisations) vivian as a cis female, nintendo missed the opportunity to push the envelope for transgender rights. we're having trouble finding a way to phrase the poll choice so that it's succinct, but still clearly specifies what we're talking about

Mario4Ever

A price for everything.
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
I think if we're going to add more concepts, "Sony partnership" might be a good fit (refers to how Nintendo partnered with Sony to make a CD add-on for the SNES, but apparently, at some point, Yamauchi, Nintendo's then-president reneged because the partnership benefited Sony more than it did Nintendo. This led Nintendo to make a new deal with Philips (eventually resulting in the CD-i) while Sony independently finished and released their own console (the PlayStation was originally going to be compatible with the SNES and the new format)).

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
as of this post there aren't too many new nominee ideas so we could probably either just grab them all or do a quick vote on them:

*Super Mario Bros. 3 e-Reader Cards
*Sony Partnership Failure
*Transphobia (Vivian, Birdo)
*Super Mario's Wacky Worlds cancellation

Smasher

Smasher
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
I think we can just include them all now.