Tournaments

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Tournament planning, ideas, discussion, etc.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
For the OP I just threw some games in there I'd like to see, but that's not official or anything yet. I'll throw some color-coding in later.

Red Barchetta

Talk less, smile more.
Core 'Shroom Staff
I would be completely open and committed to doing a Pokemon tournament this year. We'd have to figure out what games would be best to use (X/Y or OR/AS or maybe all four?? I don't know if there's anything that ruins the connectivity between the two, except maybe Mega Evolutions?), but nothing should be too difficult to figure out.

Pyro

Power Star
I'd like to try a race again this year, and Minecraft Games 3 is likely to happen.

Considering it's the 10-year anniversary of the Mariowiki, we should try some new stuff too, like an art or writing contest.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Pyro said:
Considering it's the 10-year anniversary of the Mariowiki, we should try some new stuff too, like an art or writing contest.
that could be a good idea but I'd like to figure out rules and gauge interest in that before we only have like 2 people do it

Duskull

Star Spirit
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
I could potentially enter a writing competition, depending on the form

Lakituthequick

Celestial Guide
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
I shall be doing MK8 most certainly. I shall be addressing some time issues too and other stuffs people have noted (like prevent SSC appearing as final course). MK7 I'll have to see.

Also I have rough plans to do a quiz of sorts, though this is not a solid thing yet.

Another also, on topic of MC where my ISP only dies when we're doing stuff, not sure if I should host a server again.

Icemario

Star Spirit
I can host a Mario Golf tournament, I have some general ideas for it.

EDIT: Yeah I'm definitely up for doing this.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Discussion for these began today. Please refer to the logs for the day (when they're posted) for more specific info but basically:

*we're discussing the token economy re: inflation and cutting dated tokens
*looking for hosts
*beginning to plan tournaments for games with hosts already decided

If you would like to host a tournament, please PM me, Smasher, or Blocky, or post it here

Lakituthequick

Celestial Guide
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Alright I'm back from awayness and have read the logs and gonna pull some things straight.

<Uniju> plz crowdfund tbxp'd minecraft awards so we dont have to put up with ltq for a third year
Good idea.

<turb> ltq having problems managing time zones for mario kart
<turb> idk if we already asked him about that
I have heard the issues some people had and acknowledge them, but I wouldn't tag them with "problems". The few people that had problems with them where to race after 9:00 and complained about sleep, whereas some had to race at 4:00, which they accepted and showed up for.
It is a risk of the Internet to have to deal with timezones and not knowing people's schedules in the weekends. If you know ahead of time you are not going to make it, don't sign up, or drop out.

On this topic, I'm making a schedule planner for people to fill in so I do know people's availability. If they proceed to not show up then, it's their problem, not ours. We can't do magic.

<groden> i forget, who else wanted to do smash?
<Anton{Politoed}> I thhhhhhhink ltq offered and also lumastar
<Anton{Politoed}> ltq wasn't really a popular host sssssssso idk about that
No, I'm not into that. I also haven't heard a lot of complains so enlightenment is appreciated so I can work on clinks.

*talk about Minecraft and my Internet*
Yeah I know about the issues of last few years and how my Internet doesn't fail for 4 months and does when it shouldn't. I'm not denying that.
It should be noted that I'm not planning to do anything Minecraft this year for mentioned reasons.

Unless Minecraft Realms is a serviceable thing and I want to buy Minecraft I'm not going to be involved with that.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Lakituthequick said:
I have heard the issues some people had and acknowledge them, but I wouldn't tag them with "problems". The few people that had problems with them where to race after 9:00 and complained about sleep, whereas some had to race at 4:00, which they accepted and showed up for.
It is a risk of the Internet to have to deal with timezones and not knowing people's schedules in the weekends. If you know ahead of time you are not going to make it, don't sign up, or drop out.

On this topic, I'm making a schedule planner for people to fill in so I do know people's availability. If they proceed to not show up then, it's their problem, not ours. We can't do magic.
9am, especially on a weekend, is a fucking ridiculous time to have to be up just to play a tournament so that isn't just a thing to scoff at. You don't need to know anyone's schedules to know that's not shitty, you just have to know that they're not 89 years old. In addition, as it should've been and as I'm going to make sure of this year, it is not wholly the responsibility of the participants to make whatever time you set; it is a deal that should be worked out for everyone's best interests, as well as coordinated with other tournaments. Timezones are a thing for the host to take into account when setting up the times for the tournament, as the AC must do for the Awards Ceremony. If the players can't make it, there's no tournament. I'm not entirely aware of how bad the problem was on either side last year but I do know that it was preventable.

Every tournament will be planned through me and the AC to make sure stupid shit doesn't happen.

<groden> i forget, who else wanted to do smash?
<Anton{Politoed}> I thhhhhhhink ltq offered and also lumastar
<Anton{Politoed}> ltq wasn't really a popular host sssssssso idk about that
No, I'm not into that. I also haven't heard a lot of complains so enlightenment is appreciated so I can work on clinks.
Here I'll enlighten you:

Lakituthequick

Celestial Guide
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Derpl Zork said:
9am, especially on a weekend, is a fucking ridiculous time to have to be up just to play a tournament so that isn't just a thing to scoff at.
I'll see this as a subjective thing, it really differs per person what is ridiculous or not.

Derpl Zork said:
In addition, as it should've been and as I'm going to make sure of this year, it is not wholly the responsibility of the participants to make whatever time you set; it is a deal that should be worked out for everyone's best interests, as well as coordinated with other tournaments.
I have announced the times a week ahead, and shoved people around a lot in order to make sure as many people as possible could come.

Derpl Zork said:
Timezones are a thing for the host to take into account when setting up the times for the tournament, as the AC must do for the Awards Ceremony.
I am aware of having to deal with timezones very well, and have done so all right. I am always aware of what local time the players are racing. Of the tournaments last year (not counting Mafia, GTR), like only my tournaments had a lot of apparent timezone-thought into it. Not to call me da king or anything but I'll still mention it.

Derpl Zork said:
Here I'll enlighten you:
Yeah I'm aware of that. Not trying to shove everything into Pyro's throat but he's also responsible for things though.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
I'm gonna move more general tournament planning into the public board, but we can still keep this topic here to discuss other things regarding tournament decisions.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Mostly @ ltq but has anyone written anything for tournaments or something for The 'Shroom? If not, I'm gonna make up a basic article of some sort that lists what kinda tournaments there are and beg for more participants and prizes and stuff. idk which section it'll be in but I'll probably work on this later in the week.

Red Barchetta

Talk less, smile more.
Core 'Shroom Staff
I'm planning to write something up for the Pokemon tournament like I did a few years ago and advertise it on there, since we'll still have another few weeks before the end of sign-ups.

Icemario

Star Spirit
I'm considering it but I dunno, depends on how much free time I get this weekend.

Derpl Zork said:
idk which section it'll be in but I'll probably work on this later in the week.
Isn't this stuff normally special sections, anyway?

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Nino said:
I'm planning to write something up for the Pokemon tournament like I did a few years ago and advertise it on there, since we'll still have another few weeks before the end of sign-ups.
okey-dokey

Lyn said:
I'm considering it but I dunno, depends on how much free time I get this weekend.

Derpl Zork said:
idk which section it'll be in but I'll probably work on this later in the week.
Isn't this stuff normally special sections, anyway?
maybe, but if it was just going to be a list I could cram it into ltq's anniversary announcements

I can ask edo or smb what they would prefer, whoever I see first