Steven Universe

Gamefreak75

"The hated boss who beats you down..."
Forum Moderator
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
I wish they'd just stockpile like 10 episodes then dump them all out at once instead of doing like 3 once a week, then dropping two episodes with plot bombs, then disappearing for 5 years.

Nabber

Artisanal Cheese Taster
is this worth keeping up with

it's just kind of become homestuck for me where it got so complicated by so sporadic that it's hard for me to care about, except steven universe was still good when i left, so im sad

Gilgamesh

do you ever yearn for the soft touch of a pancake
Core 'Shroom Staff
Nabber said:
is this worth keeping up with

it's just kind of become homestuck for me where it got so complicated by so sporadic that it's hard for me to care about, except steven universe was still good when i left, so im sad
currently, SU can't properly balance "filler" episodes properly with episodes that actually continue the story you care about and the plot is advancing at a geological pace,
so it hasn't changed at all really since you dropped off :^

the problem SU has is that, in its early stages, the crystal gem/beach city adventures carried the same weight of interest, but over time the crystal gem plotline has morphed into an intergalactic expedition featuring shocking existential revelations about the protagonist and his close companions, while the beach city episodes still focus on, idk, mayor dewey getting a part time job. it still transitions between these plotlines at a snap like it did in s1, though the imbalance is very noticeable now and will continue to be that way until they can somehow bring the collective beach city plotlines up a notch because they're still several seasons behind in terms of who gives a shit

edit: i do have to say there is one exception to the beach city episodes and that's sadie's s5 arc which is meaningful in a lot of ways but it still kinda pales to the gem stuff

right now we're leaning towards endgame but not actually endgame since there's probably a 6th season on the way, but you could probably wait until s5 finishes and binge watch it then (in an estimated 4 years at the rate we're getting episodes, mind).

it's still a great show and i wouldn't say it's gotten overly complicated, but it's honestly difficult to enjoy with its currently ridiculously broken schedule and that doesn't help the plot imbalance

2257 said:
2 episodes of steven universe came out yesterday, which was unexpected

unlike what happened in the episodes
im glad they didnt pull a gravity falls and backpedal the whole plotline once it was discovered by the fans and just let the reveal happen as expected. rotating her gem feels like such a cop-out though, since it's never before been shown that gems can do that until pd did it

pink diamond's motivation for becoming rose quartz has certainly kicked the hornet's nest since the whole gem genocide is now a tragedy of her own doing

i appreciate the nuance this gives to the story but at the same time this reveal should've happened at least a season and a half ago
right now it's just "great"

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Star-Lord said:
pull a gravity falls and backpedal the whole plotline once it was discovered by the fans
wait... what? what is this in reference to

Lord Bowser

Super High School Level Bowser
Core 'Shroom Staff
Poll Committee
2257 said:
Star-Lord said:
pull a gravity falls and backpedal the whole plotline once it was discovered by the fans
wait... what? what is this in reference to
i believe he means when people found out about stan and ford

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
what happened?

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Two years ago, I asked if Steven Universe is going to end, but the response was basically that the end was not in sight. Now though, I decided to catch up on Steven Universe episodes because I heard that Season 5 is going to be the last season. However, when I went to check on Google, I am not so sure now because I seen that some people thought that there will be a Season 6.

Anyway, I have watched the first 24 episodes of the first season so far, but there are some stuff that I knew ahead of time because I have seen a handful of season 3 episodes, which contains some crucial moments like how Steven has "healing spit", and the green centi-pillar (whatever it's called) gets revisited. There are some stuff I am wondering about that are shown in those episodes too, namely how Steven can enter other people's dreams and affect them. So far it's all well, but I am hoping that I didn't start catching up only for the show to keep continuing for more seasons because I prefer to catch up on a cartoon after it ended.

Thank you for reading.

winstein

Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
Question for those who have watched Steven Universe: Would you say that Season 5 the final season?

I have so far finished the first two seasons of the show, and it's very charming and cool, and the characters are all great. However, I will stop there if Season 5 is not likely the final season.

Thank you for reading.

Roserade

"Write your way into his heart..."
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Poll Committee
winstein said:
Question for those who have watched Steven Universe: Would you say that Season 5 the final season?

I have so far finished the first two seasons of the show, and it's very charming and cool, and the characters are all great. However, I will stop there if Season 5 is not likely the final season.

Thank you for reading.
From the looks of things, there's still a story arc, maybe two to go, so if that's your plan I'd hold off for now.

Puddin

eat the rich

why is she so perfect

also hype for 4 part episode next week

J-Yoshi64

Always remembering Walkazo

Walkazo made this back in 2016.

Armadimon

Cuss at an Armadillo
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
Man, I can't believe Homeworld blew up, and that White Diamond was actually Greg the whole time.

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Retired Wiki Staff
heyyy bumping this to say that the movie came out a few days ago in case any of you wanted to see it and didnt know. if you don't know whether you want to see it, i recommend it

when i first watched the movie i thought it was kind of a mixed bag but after thinking about it for a couple days ive decided i actually like it pretty well. in some ways its actually better than the series; the music was a step up from an already pretty high standard, and the animation also looked nicer. i guess the main thing that turned me off was that a lot of what i liked about the series was thinking about the parts of the plot and setting that hadn't been revealed yet, and obviously there's not really much room for that in a single 80 minute segment

somewhere near the middle of the movie there's that part where garnet, amethyst and pearl (and steven) are incapacitated, and steven is like "woe is me, what will i do without them". and bismuth, peridot and lapis then basically do a rendition of the opening theme song (well it's a completely different piece of music, but it has some of the same lyrics). i thought "oh, they're setting up the rest of the movie to be about these guys", which i think is a great idea, because all of them (especially bismuth) felt underused in the series imo. that... didn't really happen though

also when everyone's incapacitated steven's like "what am i going to do? do i have to get the diamonds" and honestly my thought was like, yeah, why don't you get the diamonds? they're on your side now, theyre basically omnipotent, and given that you have less than 2 days before everyone on earth dies, this probably isn't the best time to be acting too proud to ask for help? the diamonds don't show up until the end of the movie though

anyway i feel like spinel is one of the show's more compelling villains. although, all she really had to do to achieve that was to have a motivation that was a) explored in any way and b) not reducible to following orders, so maybe i'm damning her with faint praise. you might also comment that her backstory is not really much more than an amalgam of pearl and lapis's, in which case, ok. i thought the ending was pretty weird though?? to me it seemed like her whole arc was about like... how it isn't really healthy to invest your entire sense of self in another person (especially someone who habitually mistreats others). but then at the end, the resolution was for her to basically completely invest herself in someone else again? and that someone was the diamonds, i.e. a bunch of people who are explicitly shown in the movie to have only a tenuous grasp on how to treat people well, or why doing that even matters?? and steven signs off on it??? like i guess she's got THREE people with an almost sociopathic understanding of personal relationships to get unhealthily invested in now, but that strikes me as sort of missing the meat of the issue

honestly i found it so strange that i almost wonder whether they, like, started the movie after they were already partway into production of another season (are they making another season?), and had to find a convenient way to write spinel out by the end to explain the fact that she's just going to be nowhere

well i guess i said i liked it and then mostly complained, but honestly, it's good. the weird stuff is outweighed by their many correct decisions like not having ronaldo speak and showing that ruby and sapphire are still in love even when they don't know who they are

Princess of Tennis

the one that hearts a lot
@2257
also when everyone's incapacitated steven's like "what am i going to do? do i have to get the diamonds" and honestly my thought was like, yeah, why don't you get the diamonds? they're on your side now, theyre basically omnipotent, and given that you have less than 2 days before everyone on earth dies, this probably isn't the best time to be acting too proud to ask for help? the diamonds don't show up until the end of the movie though
ok. i thought the ending was pretty weird though?? to me it seemed like her whole arc was about like... how it isn't really healthy to invest your entire sense of self in another person (especially someone who habitually mistreats others). but then at the end, the resolution was for her to basically completely invest herself in someone else again? and that someone was the diamonds, i.e. a bunch of people who are explicitly shown in the movie to have only a tenuous grasp on how to treat people well, or why doing that even matters?? and steven signs off on it??? like i guess she's got THREE people with an almost sociopathic understanding of personal relationships to get unhealthily invested in now, but that strikes me as sort of missing the meat of the issue
I had the very same 2 feels about the movie. The first one feeling like an honest plothole/bad-writing-element.
the second however, I'm feeling is intentional as a plot device for the next season.

*edit*
My roomate got an insight by seeing those two quotes side by side, says what if it's a sign that Steven has his moms trait of selfishness and it's starting to develope?"
I'm not sure how I feel about that though because he does go out of his way to help others all the time

Last edited: