TF2 Event/Tournament

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
I didn't want to end up flooding the general 'Tournaments' topic about this, so I'm making this a separate thread.

I haven't set a date yet, but around late July - early August, I'll be hosting a pretty big event on the TF2 server. The gooey center of the event will be an extensive match [which will end up being pretty competitive due to prizes] that takes course over several maps. The map rotation for this "competitive" match is still being worked on, so suggestions are welcome.

There are a lot of details I've yet to work out, but I'd like to have some fun pre-tourney games for people to rack up prize tickets and just have fun/practice before the big game. These smaller games would take place over the course of one map each. I was thinking of having one map be set to melee-only (like, a round of ctf), another map be class-restricted (or perhaps each team would be a different class, like Soldiers vs. Demomen), another map have bosses spawned to fight, stuff like that. Those ideas are still a bit rough.

There would be TF2 in-game items to redeem as prizes, too. I figured 8 or 10 points in the game earns you 1 prize token/ticket.

Also, would this have to be concluded in the course of a day? Or could it run, say, two nights?

I'm all ears for suggestions on how to make this be everything it can be. Any idea you get, feel free to post.

Things to Note
- 3 day event (weekend-long)
- 6 hours each day? (allows plenty of time for breaks, as well as the opportunity to jump right into the match(es) that you're anticipating)
- Random crits will be disabled
- 1 match will be Soldiers vs. Demos (Half-Zatoichi-only)
- 1 match per night will be melee-only/medieval
- 1 match will be Sniper-only
- 1 or 2 boss fights
- more to come

Pokemon DP

God I'm good at being an owl
Retired Wiki Staff
I like the idea of a multiple day event, personally. So long as we don't play on Dustbowl, I'm a-OK with whatever map we pick.

speaking of which, sign me up for this

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
i'd be fine with a multiple day event

i'm also pretty fond of the boss battle idea, though i think it'd be harder to set up than melee only/soldiers vs. demomen/etc.

Pokemon DP

Retired Wiki Staff
now when you say 'soldiers vs. demoman', do you mean half-zatoichi duels? Because otherwise, I can only imagine the demomen dominating the soldiers because loloverpowered

Gamefreak75

"The hated boss who beats you down..."
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
Chihiro Fujisaki said:
now when you say 'soldiers vs. demoman', do you mean half-zatoichi duels? Because otherwise, I can only imagine the demomen dominating the soldiers because loloverpowered
i actually think soliders are overpowered. two rockets with even the targe or screen attached kill the demoman almost instantly, unless you're a camping demo with sticky bombs

is it also possible to turn crits off? i mean, i think others won't agree with me, but they're pretty shitty when they happen and seeing as soldier crockets basically destroy everyone with a crit, it'd seem pretty dumb to have soldiers v demomen

Pokemon DP

Retired Wiki Staff
well my only frequent interactions with demoman are you (lol, demoknights are shithouse) and tfp, who camps like the coward he is.

also, will no crits affect jarate?

Gamefreak75

Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
i think no crits only affect random criticals, but stuff like jarate, the buff banner, and fan of war still applies the minicrit effects

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
Mondo Oowada said:
i'd be fine with a multiple day event
Alright, will take note of that.

Mondo Oowada said:
i'm also pretty fond of the boss battle idea, though i think it'd be harder to set up than melee only/soldiers vs. demomen/etc.
I think with key bindings, it would be easy enough to spawn bosses within a second or two (before anyone else could use cheats or something). And if someone was stupid enough to use cheats, they should be withdrawn from the day's events and/or have their tokens revoked. I plan to make a set of rules for the event, and "no cheating" will definitely be on there.

Chihiro Fujisaki said:
Demomen are harder to master than Soldiers, and there aren't a ton of great Demos on the server (not to sound rude). I think as long as stickies on/near spawn aren't allowed, it would be fair enough. But if enough people think otherwise, I'd be more than happy just to have Half-Zatoichi duels instead -- those are really fun.

Sayaka Maizono said:
is it also possible to turn crits off? i mean, i think others won't agree with me, but they're pretty shitty when they happen and seeing as soldier crockets basically destroy everyone with a crit, it'd seem pretty dumb to have soldiers v demomen
Actually, I think crits should be turned off. I also asked Groden about this and he agreed. crits = instant kills = free tokens = bad

Chihiro Fujisaki said:
Nope, only random crits. Jarate, Buff Banner, Crit-a-Cola, Kritzkrieg, Backburner, Flare Gun, Targe/Screen, KGB, Diamondback, Frontier Justice, etc, would all be unaffected and get their guaranteed crits. (in other words, what Gamefreak said)

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
Which weekend would work best for most people? These seem like the best choices to me:

20 July - 22 July
27 July - 29 July
3 August - 5 August

I'd like to get the dates set so everything else can be prepared on time.

Pokemon DP

Retired Wiki Staff
Has anyone sorted out the dates for their tournaments yet? I'd rather there not be any overlap, since I know we'll have lots of people who want to play Mario Kart or Brawl instead.

I understand TF2 is probably the least popular of the tournaments we're going to hold, so I'd like to maximize attendance in any way possible.

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
Chihiro Fujisaki said:
Has anyone sorted out the dates for their tournaments yet? I'd rather there not be any overlap, since I know we'll have lots of people who want to play Mario Kart or Brawl instead.
This too. Coordination between all the tournaments would be really nice. I'm willing to work with the other hosts so we all get a great turnout.

Chihiro Fujisaki said:
I understand TF2 is probably the least popular of the tournaments we're going to hold, so I'd like to maximize attendance in any way possible.
I think we'll be getting around 22 people, maybe more. I'm maximizing the server's player slots for the month the event takes place. The last two Free Strange Days we had resulted in a full server + a couple people waiting for a spot to open up. So that's at least 18.

Last year's Brawl turnout was something like 30 people, dunno about Mario Kart. So yeah, this will probably be the smallest tournament of the year. It'll still be a blast, tho.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
27 July - 29 July and 3 August - 5 August work better for me, personally.

Hilda Valentine Goneril

hilda-chan no kachi
Retired Wiki Staff
Chihiro Fujisaki said:
well my only frequent interactions with demoman are you (lol, demoknights are shithouse) and tfp, who camps like the coward he is.

dont hate cause your defensive you puny australian

Pokemon DP

Retired Wiki Staff
I'll hate whoever I want, thank you very much. You drunken black Scottish cyclops pimp.

Pokemon DP

Retired Wiki Staff
Come at me, bro. I have the Crocodile gods on my side!

Gamefreak75

Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
Junko Enoshima said:
Chihiro Fujisaki said:
Come at me, bro. I have the Crocodile gods on my side!
i have cotton fields on my side whos gonna win now PUNK
i have the entire middle-east on my side

</thread>

Pokemon DP

Retired Wiki Staff
No you don't, you only have Iran on your side. Every country in the Middle East hates every other country in the Middle East.

QuizmoManiac

a rhinestone cowboy
Stooben said:
20 July - 22 July
27 July - 29 July
Would be the best weekends for me. If it were hosted August 3-5 there is zero chance I can come.

Gamefreak75

Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
3 August - 5 August I can't make because I have college things to do.

Also, I think if we do Soldier v Demo, Half-Zatoichi only duel will be the best beat, honestly.

Pokemon DP

Retired Wiki Staff
please install vs. saxton hale before the event

Pokemon DP

Retired Wiki Staff
yeah I was wondering about that, too. Seems like a great way to attract the Mario fanatic crowd.

Also, will the only "real" part of the tournament be proper gamemodes, or will deathmatch also be included? If not, dm should be used as half-hour intermissions.