Tournaments

Gamefreak75

"The hated boss who beats you down..."
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
Here, we'll plan the tournaments being held to commemorate the Awards Ceremony. Post your suggestions and if you want to host a tournament here. Prizes can be discussed here too.

TOURNAMENTS

Mario4Ever

A price for everything.
Retired Wiki Staff
MKWii/7 and Brawl are the only things I can think of at the moment (I doubt I'll have time to host either).

For prizes, I'm thinking Nintendo Points cards/3DS cards, since they have plenty of usage potential nowadays.

Pokemon DP

God I'm good at being an owl
Retired Wiki Staff
Once we figure out how the hell we're meant to do it, I'd like a Team Fortress 2 tournament.

(maybe have a Left 4 Dead tournament to see which team can kill the most zombies in the shortest time)

ShyGuy27

The Cardinal is dead -- long live The Cardinal!
I've already expressed interest in hosting a Terraria thing, probably a CTF-style game. Just glancing over my friends we've got Groden, TFP, DP, MCD, Quizmo, Garlic, Turb, Neu, Gamefreak, Xzealio, and and FireKirby who play it so I don't think getting people to join would be a big issue. I haven't gotten around to gathering 8 people together and testing my computer/connection out but I've been stable with 4 or 5 people before. I could probably go up to at least 3 vs. 3.

As for prizes there's these super-rare Mario hats in the game that I figured I could give away.

Gamefreak75

Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
Well, the way I see it, for the next 3-4 months, we plan on what tournaments we will have and who will post it.

By that time, the subboard for Mario Awards will be set up, where the host can create their topics for the game. Essentially, it will be a sign up sheet where the participants sign up and give their friend codes depending on the game they want to play.

Prizes don't necessarily have to given out, but it would probably attract more people. Personally, I'd play the game just for the hell of it and see how good or bad I am or have gotten.

I'll definitely be doing the Brawl, and I'll make sure that it's 5x better that last year's very uncoordinated tourney. :/

Besides, Gamefreak needs a rematch after losing because of a final smash.

Weasel

Donkey Kong
Retired Forum Mod
No items. I don't consider myself to be a "tourneyfag" but items suck. I can't even begin to count how many times I've been screwed out of a win by random explosions going off.

As for MK7, maybe we could use the communities feature to host multiple tournaments. One that's just standard Mario Kart fare (on, like, 100cc), one that's in Mirror mode, one that just has Bob-Ombs as items, and one that just has mushrooms as items.

Gamefreak75

Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
'3K said:
No items. I don't consider myself to be a "tourneyfag" but items suck. I can't even begin to count how many times I've been screwed out of a win by random explosions going off.
Definitely this. I know items make the game more fun, but for a tournament where it should rely solely on skill, don't turn this into a Mario Party game. Also, I'd like to have a neutral Stage, one with little to no hazards, such as Battlefield or Onett. I got PictoChat last time and it was fucking terrible as Ness.

Anton

kero?
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
Gamefreak75 said:
'3K said:
Definitely this. I know items make the game more fun, but for a tournament where it should rely solely on skill, don't turn this into a Mario Party game. Also, I'd like to have a neutral Stage, one with little to no hazards, such as Battlefield or Onett. I got PictoChat last time and it was fucking terrible as Ness.
As long as it's not Final Destination. I know it will be about skill, but I'd rather it be somewhat interesting.. Also, perhaps just a few items? Not things like the maxim tomato and bombs and ohko stuff. Dunno if that would be too much work in deciding what to choose, though, so no items is fine as well.

Not like I'm gonna be able to play, anyways ;~;

I had all the competitors vote for what setting they want, and the majority said "Smash Ball only." And yes, that is what screwed Gamefreak up.

However, isn't it true that a good fighter always uses his surroundings to his advantage? I mean, yes, skill is important, but adaptability is also a very important factor.

I think I'll end up doing no items, but we'll see.

Weasel

Donkey Kong
Retired Forum Mod
Gamefreak75 said:
Also, I'd like to have a neutral Stage, one with little to no hazards, such as Battlefield or Onett.
Fi said:
However, isn't it true that a good fighter always uses his surroundings to his advantage? I mean, yes, skill is important, but adaptability is also a very important factor.
As far as stages are concerned, as long as the stage hazards don't hurt you, I feel it should be fair game.
- Final Destination (boring as shit, but w/e)
- Battlefield
- Delfino Plaza
- Luigi's Mansion
- Frigate Orpheon
- Castle Siege
- Temple
- Pokemon Stadium
- Pokemon Stadium 2
- Shadow Moses Island

Gamefreak75

Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
Fi said:
And yes, that is what screwed Gamefreak up.
Do you have to bring that up everytime? :???: I think once was enough, but ok.

We were down to 1 life anyways and he had like 180 damage. OF course, Yoshi's FS is pretty damn powerful, so that's how it all went down. Also of the like 3-4 SBs that appeared, I didn't get a single Smash Ball, just saying.

Also, no it wasn't just the Smash Ball itself. It was the stage too: PictoChat. I know it isn't the most unbearable stage (hell of a lot better than say Hanenbow or Rainbow Cruise).

ralphfan

Thank you based god
I was wondering if Awards Mafia II was still going to happen. I've been in talking with MG1 about hosting with him.

Also, on a related topic, one of the things I really liked last year was giving out tokens to redeem for prizes. We also learned that Nintendo Points are probably good to have as prizes because just about everyone can use them and we have a surprising number of users without Steam.

Sharks Territory said:
I was wondering if Awards Mafia II was still going to happen. I've been in talking with MG1 about hosting with him.

Also, on a related topic, one of the things I really liked last year was giving out tokens to redeem for prizes. We also learned that Nintendo Points are probably good to have as prizes because just about everyone can use them and we have a surprising number of users without Steam.
I don't even know what Steam is! There was literally no Nintendo Point or games at all! I was so upset. :(

Well...in order to give Nintendo Points, you need some codes, and I don't know how Steam works, but still...

ralphfan

Thank you based god
Well, Steam is a pretty awesome platform for downloading games like Portal and TF2.

As for Nintendo Points, I guess we can buy cards and then PM the codes to the winners to enter. That or we can gift them points.

Stooben Rooben

Star Spirit
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
Sharks Territory said:
we can buy cards and then PM the codes to the winners to enter.
I thought we did that last year, but maybe I'm remembering wrong. Either way, I've done that with a few friends, so it's perfectly possible. Same can be done with iTunes/Amazon gift cards.

Sharks Territory said:
That or we can gift them points.
Last I checked, you can't gift a Wii friend Wii Points. Just games from the Shop Channel. Which is stupid, but at least a reasonable alternative if you want to have Wii Points prizes that aren't a full 2,000.

Pokemon DP

God I'm good at being an owl
Retired Wiki Staff
Steam has the monopoly on online digital distribution of games. It's also very user friendly, very cheap and has an unbelievably wide range of games for all sorts of gamers. Also, Team Fortress 2 is free to play now, so any of our users can download Steam (for free !!) and just play TF2 without a care in the world.