Categories for 2012

Please choose the format you prefer for Mario Awards VI.

• 30 Mario, 15 Fail, 10 'Shroom, 5 Userpedia

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 30 Mario, 10 Fail, 5 'Shroom, 5 Userpedia

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • 30 Mario, 15 Fail, 5 'Shroom

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 30 Mario, 15 Fail, 5 Userpedia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30 Mario, 15 Fail, 10 Userpedia, 5 'Shroom

• 30 Mario, 10 Fail, 10 'Shroom, 10 Userpedia

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • 30 Mario, 15 Fail, 10 'Shroom, 10 Userpedia ('Shroom and UP on another day)

• Total voters

ralphfan

Thank you based god
So, our first order of business! I was planning to start this in a week but seeing that debate has already started, I guess it would be a good time to get this going.

Simply put, we can't do 60 awards again. Why?

• There are very few people who can attend a full six-hour ceremony, or a two-day ceremony. 50 Awards in 5 hours is hard enough.
  • The duties of the director become enormous.
  • With the increasing amount of voters, it will become harder and harder to tally the votes. It will take more and more time, which will chip away at the time that presenters have between when they are mailed their results and when their scripts are due. We can't close polls earlier, since that would give us less time to meet, and we certainly can't make the due date later.
  • We don't have 60 good awards. We had somewhere around 50.
  • We had a lot of people taking on 4 presentations. I'd rather have our presenters focus on quality over quantity.
  • Userpedia and The 'Shroom (it pains me to say this since I love The 'Shroom) can host their own awards if it comes to that.

With all of that being said, we must go back to 50 awards this year. One thing that is guaranteed are 30 Mario Awards. They should really be the focus of our show. That was the intention back in 2007 when the ceremony was created. The question is how to break up the other 20.

We will definitely have at least 10 Fail Awards. It will be either 10 or 15.

As for the other 5 or 10, we can do Userpedia Awards, 'Shroom Awards, both or merge them into one segment, Community Awards.

*Should the Userpedia Awards be removed, we can still include the Lifetime Achievement Award as a bonus award.

We have a multitude of options as to how we break up the other 20. Discussion time!

Basically, we will have open discussion until people have either come to a decision or when we are within a week of the first meeting. At that time, if we don't have a clear majority supporting one plan, we will go to a formal vote.

Thank you all for your compliance. Remember to make sure things don't get out of hand, and make sure nobody gets butthurt.

Smasher

Smasher
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
In my opinion, a good number would be 30 Mario awards (it is the main thing after all), 10 Fail Awards, and 5 each for the Shroom and Userpedia awards. I don't really like the idea of getting rid of either of the latter completely.

Raven Effect

That's what I call hamburgers
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
I think we should keep the Userpedia awards to do them being the first expansion awards but I think we should consider getting rid of the Shroom awards to do low turn out that or dropping it back down to 5

ralphfan

Thank you based god
I prefer the idea of 30 Mario, 10 Fail and 10 Community Awards, because that allows us for an unbalanced amount of 'Shroom and UP awards.

Super Mario Bros.

Oh boy! Haha!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
A merger between 'Shroom and Userpedia Awards will not happen, sorry. They are two distinct entities and it should remain that way through these ceremonies.

ralphfan

Thank you based god
I see your reasoning. However, if we end up with an unbalanced amount of ideas, I hope you keep your mind open to the idea.

I expect us to end up with 5 and 5, though.

Raven Effect

That's what I call hamburgers
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
Could we split user creation into two awards one for best sprite comic and one for best story

ralphfan

Thank you based god
Well, there aren't a whole lot of comics currently being made right now, right?

Usually, that's something that's discussed in a meeting anyways. I was intending for this thread to be used solely to determine the number we'd have in each category.

Super Mario Bros.

Oh boy! Haha!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
Sharks Territory said:
Well, there aren't a whole lot of comics currently being made right now, right?

Usually, that's something that's discussed in a meeting anyways. I was intending for this thread to be used solely to determine the number we'd have in each category.
There's a good number more than last year.

Smasher

Smasher
Forum Moderator
Chat Operator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
I can probably find at least ten that would be good nominees.

Super Mario Bros.

Oh boy! Haha!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
Super Mario Bros. said:
On this topic, I don't see a problem with the amount we had last year. If we made certain modifications to the voting, tallying, presentation, and posting processes, it would go smoothly. We could even maximize user interest and participation and make everything less overwhelming.

Gamefreak75

"The hated boss who beats you down..."
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
I agree with Super Mario Bros. I'm perfectly ok with the same amount we did last years ceremony.

I mean, the only major fiasco we had was with UltraMario, but even then, everything was solved relatively quickly.

The only changes to the awards I really see should be modifying the categories themselves (e.g. remove the ones that sucked, replace them with something better). This way, we take out the bad while trying to keep this as fresh as possible.

Yes, I didn't forget about the time. However, most people usually do not stay for the whole awards show anyway and it's not like they're going anywhere. They can always comment on them a day after or a week after, which is usually the time that will be locked.

Also,
Ralphfan said:
Actually, it's kind of redundant to have both a Worst ____ and a Best ____ if there are a fixed number of options (Koopaling, Baby, 3D game, etc.)
Which is why we got rid of most of these last year, such as the Koopalings one for example. Like Iggy being the 3rd favorite and 2nd most hated Koopaling. It made no fucking sense. The main reason was the lack of choices. If we have both a Favorite and Least Fave baby, then by all means remove the least fave one.

HOWEVER, categories like Fave/L.Fave Galaxy and Power-ups should remain unchanged. These categories have quite a bit of choices (the Galaxy one has over 90 choices iirc), so the probability of seeing repeat results is quite low as compared to the other ones.

ralphfan

Thank you based god
Yes. Like I said, the ones with a very small number of choices should be removed, but the ones with a sizable (or massive) amount of choices should be kept.

Aside from the fact that I had to count 300 "Other" votes for Favorite Galaxy, it was a great addition last year.

QuizmoManiac

a rhinestone cowboy
Gamefreak75 said:
Ralphfan said:
Actually, it's kind of redundant to have both a Worst ____ and a Best ____ if there are a fixed number of options (Koopaling, Baby, 3D game, etc.)
I was browsing through last year's awards, and I thought something similar to this.
I was wondering, if a game or something similar won an award by a huge margin, and no new options have been added to this category, is it really worth keeping.
(I'll add some examples to this post soon)
https://docs.google.com/View?id=drz9zgp_160ghwft2hp
Number twenty-six on this page. Yoshi Kid won by almost 150 votes, and there haven't been any new characters to for sine then, so I'm wondering if this award will be redundant?

ralphfan

Thank you based god
Could very well be.

Some awards that get similar results can't be removed because they're such important categories, but that's one that we could definitely remove until PM3DS comes out.

QuizmoManiac

a rhinestone cowboy
Sharks Territory said:
Could very well be.

Some awards that get similar results can't be removed because they're such important categories, but that's one that we could definitely remove until PM3DS comes out.
I think this would be good overall, because it would make way for more awards, in an category. I'm going to search through that list more later.

Smasher said:
In my opinion, a good number would be 30 Mario awards (it is the main thing after all), 10 Fail Awards, and 5 each for the Shroom and Userpedia awards. I don't really like the idea of getting rid of either of the latter completely.
That's what I'd say.

ralphfan

Thank you based god
So this is the thread we probably should have been using for discussion altogether. :P

Anyway, we have less than a week until the first meeting. That means it's time to vote on the format of your choice for Mario Awards VI!

ralphfan

Thank you based god
Fi said:
P.S. - You forgot the 30 Mario; 15 Fail; 10 'Shroom; 10 UP option.
That's not happening.

Fi said:
Isn't it strange how 1 option is for 60 awards, while 3 options are for 50 awards? Isn't that a little one-sided?
No. I know that the 60 awards has the overwhelming support. It's just that that's the only way 60 awards will be happening, and there are many options should we go back to 50, which I don't expect to happen.