Tips on making your mafia great

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily x

Goodbye
Heres a little information I thought I would post.

It is easy and fun to make and host mafia's, but sometimes it is hard to make it stand out, make it exciting and make people want to be active, here are a few tips on making your mafia better than the rest.

Have a theme
Try to always have a theme for a mafia, it can be boring and uninventive just to have an unthemed mafia, and unless you are a very expirianced host, not many people will want to sign up, pick a theme, somthing you are knowledgable preferbly, you could choose a game, TV program, book or anything to base it on, this will attract fans of the theme as well as it can be somthing to base any twists, roles and stories on

Make inventive roles
Roles can be a tricky bit as you must work out which roles work, and weather the village:mafia ratio is right, when writing roles try to connect the characters with their power, make the main villain the godfather and the main hero the cop/vigilant, if there is a protogonist who is in love with an antogonist, create a 'heartbroken' power, also feel free to give players more than one power and attempt creating new powers, you never know, people might love the power and use it in their own mafias.

Write creative stories for each phase
A mafia can become unintresting if every phase ends
I'm ending the phase
Bob has been killed, he was Marley the innocent cop
It is now night X
Try to invent stories, have other users making comments which could hint at their role, have people trying to escape death, also create differant ways they can die, rather than using 'dead' try to make players commit suicide, be stabbed, be shot, be crushed, doing this makes the mafia more intresting to read and play and it adds emotion to the mafia, also use any intresting quotes or themes which happen in a story as flavour text.

Always be one step ahead
Try to be prepared for issues, a mafia will not always run smoothly, if their are innactives try sending a reminder to them, and create a 'mod kill date' when all innactives will be killed, if you feel that their will be innactives, try to get replacement, if you cannot then you can revive players who died early with an innactives role, also if you are going to be away try to inform everyone so they are aware a good few phases before you leave, also if you are stuck, feel free to ask any expirianced hosts for advice.

Be creative with ratings.
To make your mafia exciting even after the final phase has ended, do ratings, when doing ratings try to be fair, take everything into account and list positives and negatives of all players, consider how long they survived, how often they used their power and how tactical they were during the game, after this, score the player out of 10, when you have done all players do MVP's and LVP's based on who did best/worse, also you may want to consider including hounorable mentions to any players who you feel did somthing notable in the game, by doing this you can continue the disccussion even after the game has ended.

I hope these tips will help you, if you have any queeries feel free to PM me or any other expirianced mafia player/host.
Lily
*STICKY PLEASE*

Yoshiwaker

Star Spirit
wildestScribest said:
Have a theme
Try to always have a theme for a mafia, it can be boring and uninventive just to have an unthemed mafia, and unless you are a very expirianced host, not many people will want to sign up, pick a theme, somthing you are knowledgable preferbly, you could choose a game, TV program, book or anything to base it on, this will attract fans of the theme as well as it can be somthing to base any twists, roles and stories on
How dare you indirectly call my game uninventive!

Seriously, having a theme doesn't matter at all.
wildestScribest said:
Make inventive roles
Roles can be a tricky bit as you must work out which roles work, and weather the village:mafia ratio is right, when writing roles try to connect the characters with their power, make the main villain the godfather and the main hero the cop/vigilant, if there is a protogonist who is in love with an antogonist, create a 'heartbroken' power, also feel free to give players more than one power and attempt creating new powers, you never know, people might love the power and use it in their own mafias.
How about trying to give the main protagonist/antagonist a role that actually makes sense instead of always making them cop/vig/godfather/etc.?

And I wouldn't suggest a heartbroken role(if you mean dying when the other person dies) because those always tick off the innocents.
wildestScribest said:
Write creative stories for each phase
A mafia can become unintresting if every phase ends
I'm ending the phase
Bob has been killed, he was Marley the innocent cop
It is now night X
Try to invent stories, have other users making comments which could hint at their role, have people trying to escape death, also create differant ways they can die, rather than using 'dead' try to make players commit suicide, be stabbed, be shot, be crushed, doing this makes the mafia more intresting to read and play and it adds emotion to the mafia, also use any intresting quotes or themes which happen in a story as flavour text.
No. Just no. Host intervention is totally the best way to screw up a game.
wildestScribest said:
*STICKY PLEASE*
oops

Lily x

Goodbye
You know your first point, did you miss the bit about EXCEPT EXPIRIANCED HOSTS!

Lily x

Goodbye
Im just saying it can help get sign ups easily for newer users because people who like the theme will want to sign up.

Guys stop fighting.

1. Lily the Mafia Hosts Guild is working on a bunch of this so this is kinda unnecessary

2. Yoshiwaker, you're being really rude

Gigaremo

Busy Hypnotising Pokemon
Yoshiwalker said:
Didn't BMB/someone else (NSM?) do this in one of his mafia games? And nobody noticed?

Then again, there's an example of NSY's first game...

-21 said:
Yoshiwalker said:
Didn't BMB/someone else (NSM?) do this in one of his mafia games? And nobody noticed?

I think it was BMB in Musical Mafia. He made me play my harp, which pretty much showed I was protecting someone

Yoshiwaker

Star Spirit
New Super Mario said:
Guys stop fighting.

1. Lily the Mafia Hosts Guild is working on a bunch of this so this is kinda unnecessary

2. Yoshiwaker, you're being really rude
Um

I think I already apologized for that rude comment.
(I just think)
-21 said:
Yoshiwalker said:
The only time I can remember something like that being intentional was in MG1's Easter Mafia. But it definitely was noticed, and didn't actually give away a role.

Lily x

Goodbye
It works if your very subtle.
Oh... looks like posting this was a bloody waste of time....

UltimatePetey

Go! Magnezone!
Lily, thanks for making this, but only the Mafia Hosts Guild makes this kind of stuff not you because your not in it yet.

Devils Advocate

And I still haven't found, what I'm looking for.
I completely disagree on theme and ratings. The theme is a meaningless way of trying to draw attention to your game, but in the end it comes down to how the host balances the roles that they have. As for ratings, the MVP for the teams is a nice thing to do for the individuals that truly did the best, but they don't add to the game.

Marioguy1

Leo
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
This topic isn't very necessary.

-Themes do not a good mafia make.
-"Have good roles" is just common sense. No role, however, is a good role just by nature. It all depends how you pull it off.
-Hosts should never intervene with a game unless there are extenuating circumstances. I twisted around a few things at the end of my PotC mafia to change around the ending so it would be more climactic (even though the ending would have been the same either way) and it blew over badly, actually changing the course of the game could be horrible.

And my Easter Mafia had no barely any host intervention D:<

Mijzelffan and Gamefreak were bonded together from the very start. If you go back and look over the storylines, they never appeared together in one scene. Them being the same person wasn't something I made up mid-game.

Yoshiwaker

Star Spirit
Marioguy1 said:
Mijzelffan and Gamefreak were bonded together from the very start. If you go back and look over the storylines, they never appeared together in one scene. Them being the same person wasn't something I made up mid-game.
:eek:

Very confusing...

New Super Mario said:
-21 said:
Yoshiwalker said:

I think it was BMB in Musical Mafia. He made me play my harp, which pretty much showed I was protecting someone
I never intervene. Well, the only time I would intervene if it has to do with hidden abilities being activated and letting them know, but other than that, I really don't do much intervening. And I never forced you to play your harp (did I even give a harp role?). However, I have been border-line on it, but I never go to where I change the events of the game.

Lily, just as MG1 said, this thread might not be the best thing. I know that you are only trying to help, but sometimes you should ask some members of the MHG before these kinds of things.

For example, I started the List of roles thing in the MHG thread on September 27th, 2011 because we needed it. Then someone ask for a list of roles like two or three weeks later, and another user posted a list of them and wanted it stickied. I don't blame that user for helping out, but it was covered for the most part.

Now, I'm not sure if we already have something like this in process (I would need to check the threads again), but make sure to ask next time. Thanks for trying to do this, though, but don't try to steal jobs away from other users.

Marioguy1

Leo
Chat Administrator
Retired Wiki Staff
Yoshiwalker said:
Marioguy1 said:
:eek:

Very confusing...
That game was confusing.

I was trying to go for an Easter-esque thing with riddles and stuff. I think Stooben, Mijzelffan, Gamefreak, Zero and Ralphfan all got riddles in that game giving them hints as to the identity of the godfather.

The main plot twist of the game was that the godfather was the head innocent and vice versa, (GF was the godfather and Mijzelf was the head innocent) one would overpower the other depending on what St00ben did. Mijzelf was overpowered, so the plague was released. The plague would have slowly killed off the innocents, if there hadn't been so few innocents at the time.

Super Mario Bros.

Oh boy! Haha!
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Wiki Staff
I hear people mentioning "host intervention."

My game (game topic, lounge topic), which was hosted in Mindless Junk III for those who could access that board last year, was the first game on this forum that implemented serious host intervention.

A word of advice: don't do it unless it is absolutely necessary. I murdered my game with intervening throughout the whole game and I ticked off many of the players. It usually does not end up going well in practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.