Game Tournaments and other Special Events

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralphfan

Thank you based god
These events are meant to be kept secret from other users and will only be discussed in here. You will be punished if you speak about these elsewhere.

In the past few years, the AC has hosted or attempted to host game tournaments. On many occasions, these haven't been successful due to lack of coordination or no-shows. We need to start talking about these now if we want to hold them because we need people who can host tournaments, most likely for MKWii and/or Brawl or possibly MKDS. If you think you can host these, let me know.

We will be holding other special events as well. There will be a result-guessing contest, and some sort of chat party. These don't take as much work to coordinate, and I can take care of these.

Our other big event will be a Mafia game! This is a big surprise that has to be kept a secret. I have been working with Stooben on this, but I don't know how much he'll be able to contribute since he's been quite busy. This will be a great event. The game will start in late July so it can finish in time for the show. I fully expect all of you to play. This will include lots of prizes. We will use a community chest format, so anyone can donate prizes to the game. It should be a lot of fun.

Also, I have noticed that a lot of award shows have some sort of benefit involved. This year, our main focus will be generating revenue to help find Loic.

In all seriousness, if anyone wants to create awareness for some sort of humanitarian project, such as giving aid to Japan, that would be fine. If anyone wants to do this, we could choose a charity and tell wiki members to help donate to it. And it doesn't have to be Japan. It can be some other place, too.

Unfortunately, I can't pull the weight on all of these things. I can do the Mafia game, chat party and guessing the results, but you guys will have to take care of the rest. Not all of the things I suggested have to happen, but the community has a lot of ties to Japan and people have wanted game tournaments year after year. I know it is quite some time until the show, but we need to get to work on these things now so we have time to prepare.

Put me for Brawl!

Oh, and you know that I will do anything in my power to donate to the cause of all those affected by some sort of natural distaster. Plus, I have nothing that week!!!!!!! :D

Puddin

eat the rich
I'm interested in anything that can be done to donate to Japan but I need more information. Not promising anything though.

ralphfan

Thank you based god
There's no limit to the number of tournaments we can have. The problem is coordination. These would need to be help Saturday, August 13, the day after the ceremony. The one time we did pull it off, there were lots of no-shows. I think the easiest tournament to do is MKWii, since so many people have it.

In the past for MKWii, we had 12 people sign up and do a set number of races, and people were given points for how they placed. Sign-ups were limited to 12, and there were lots of no-shows.

The other way to do this would be like an open lobby, where anyone can come in and race for a few hours. The winner would be the person with the best average finish (but to make it fair, we'd say you have to be in at least five races to qualify. It's not fair for someone to race once, win and then leave, guaranteeing them at least a tie for first place.)

The host has to tally results and participate at the same time (at least in MKWii). We still have a lot of time before anything needs to be finalized, but keep all of this in the backs of your minds.

ralphfan

Thank you based god
Now that we are done with all 60 Awards, it is time to turn our discussion to this. Here are the events we have brainstormed:

-Mafia game (Stooben and I will host)
-MKWii tournament (turb is interested in hosting)
-Chat party (I'll host, assuming I can make it)
-Guess the Results (I'll host)
-Brawl tournament? (BMB showed interest in hosting)

Maybe we could do something like a Strikers Charged tournament?

Well, hey I recently made this thread:

http://forum.mariowiki.com/index.php?topic=11089.0

And, I wouldn't mind doing a Special Jeopardy Awards Tournament.

But, if you want me to do a Mario game, I could do Mario Sports Mix.

Oh, I have it all planned out, as well as my schedule free that entire day and the day after the anniversary! Obviously as soon as I get the okay, I'll make a thread in the Mario Awards V for sign-ups and what character they'll use and what color as well as their FC. Then I'll cut the list off a week or so before I do it and then post all of it in on post so that everyone can find it easier, and then I'll set a time that will work with everyone that day, which will happen while they sign up. After the final post of all the people, I'll ask them what they'll want to have each battle (time/stock), items, and stage set to, so that it won't be too complicated. I think that is very planned out, and we'll actually have a Brawl Tournament this year!

Oh, Gamefreak, you better btw, I still want to prove that I can beat you without luck. :D

ralphfan

Thank you based god
I'm gonna look around SSBWiki and find professional rules, but here are the most basic ones:

-3 stock
-8:00 time limit
-No items

I suggest allowing items.

Sharks Territory said:
I'm gonna look around SSBWiki and find professional rules, but here are the most basic ones:

-3 stock
-8:00 time limit
-No items

I suggest allowing items.
I don't like stock, and yes, I'd want items. But if everyone else wants stock, I guess I wouldn't mind.

EDIT: Can I do Mario Sports Mix then? I know a lot of people might now have it, but it'd be nice to see.

Gamefreak75

"The hated boss who beats you down..."
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Retired Forum Mod
Retired Wiki Staff
Items? Nah.

I suggest 5 Stock, though. We aren't doing some professional tournament, are we?

My rule was going to be 5-stock but with a 8 minute limit so that it doesn't get too drawn out, and then have some random items of choice to make the battle more interesting (no one wants a bland slap-slap battle (but we won't have like a "rely on this item" thing either)). And then obviously random stage.

NSM, time is very cheap though since it doesn't really prove anything, but stock shows how a person's performance really is.

5-Stock would be much, but I think if we allow some items then it won't be as bad as if there was no items! Also, how many characters per battle (2, 3, or 4 in a battle?) I'm sure you just want 1vs1, but if you want more players per battle to speed things up (and also if we have large amount of people), just let me know.

ralphfan

Thank you based god
Depends on how many entrants.

One idea I had was we do a bunch of four-man fights, total up points based on placement and then do head-to-head playoffs based on the points.

ralphfan

Thank you based god
We really need to get the ball rolling if we want to include game tournaments, guys.

I won't be able to do one now, because I'm busy doing a Userpedia game tournament. Sorry. I could participate, just not have the time to host.

Turboo

Shine Sprite
Wiki Administrator
Chat Administrator
Core 'Shroom Staff
Awards Committee
I could likely set up a MKWii tournament, like Ralph mentioned. Are we going to hold it on the day of the awards like we did 2 years ago?

ralphfan

Thank you based god
I think it was the day after. Possible times:

-12:00 Eastern on the 12th, day of the ceremony (but that's 9 am for turb)
-Any time on the 13th

Either one works for me.

I can everything set up in an instant. Ralphfan, you can ask me to change anything you find unreasonable.

- I plan to have my tournament on August 13th at 2pm EST (since that would be the best universal time for everyone to participate in) till whenever it gets done.
- I will get a QuickTopic started for sign-ups, where people will have to tell me what their character (with the color scheme is) and what their nickname will be, along with their Brawl code. QuickTopic can be linked in both the forums and on the Anniversary page under the header "Game Tournaments"
- I'll repost it with a list of everyone's character choice, nick, and brawl code so that people can use it to transfer it to their Wii.
- It shall be "World Cup" format, with 8 groups of 4 that will play 3 head-to-head matches.
- 3-Stock matches with a 8 minute time limit, and have two-four (depends on total number) fighters per each round.
- Items are still be decided, but I'll probably have people ask for what their opinion is on the QuickTopic, but either way, it will still be set on semi-rare.
- Stages are random. Period.
- Sign-up will go up to 32, if that is the maximum.

I'm all ready, so if you give me the okay, I can start up the sign-ups. I'm not going to let another Brawl tournament miss out on the Wiki's anniversary. :)

ralphfan

Thank you based god
I'd say we could do the matches in a couple of formats:

-Single elimination head-to-head
-Eight groups of four, each group plays three matches. A regulation win counts as four points, a sudden death win counts as two and each KO counts as one. Top two of each group move on to the semifinals, where the same format is used. The winner of each group moves on to the finals, where the same format is used.
-A combination of two-man and four-man matches
-A "World Cup" format:
--Eight groups of four, each player plays three head-to-head matches. Top two in each group move on to single-elimination bracket

I'd suggest one of these formats or you could come up with more. All of these can be adjusted based on the number of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.