3DS Dangerous?

Boozooka

King Bowser
A statement released by Nintendo suggests that the company has doubts over the safety of one of its consoles for younger audiences. The upcoming 3DS is suggested to be operated by players aged seven years or older when the console is functioning in its 3D mode. Younger players can still use the console in the standard 2D mode, with parental controls being able to further insure this. The alleged health issues stem from the console's use of 3D technology. Unlike the 3D projectors used in many modern cinemas for films such as James Cameron's Avatar, the 3DS's parallax barrier innovation does not require 3D glasses to be worn. Nintendo suggests that this technology may harm the eyesight of young children. Nintendo currently issues standard health risk information with its games and consoles, such as prolonged exposure may cause headaches. The 3DS will be released worldwide starting in 2011, with the Japanese release on February 26 and other major regions sometime in March. First revealed in June 2010, the 3DS is the fifth generation of Nintendo's handheld consoles. The previous generation sold a collective 135 million units in the six years they have been on the market.

This entry comes from Bulbapedia with some alterations.

...I got a feelin' that this is gonna be the new Virtual Boy.

Late as well.
The doctors already said it's safe:
http://www.telegraaf.nl/digitaal/games/8666746/__Nintendo_3DS_niet_slecht_voor_kinderen__.html

I'll translate it on request.

Edit:
Translated myself!
Really easy this time, though:
[quote author="Translated version of the Telegraaf, by me"]’Nintendo 3DS not bad for children’
Nintendo warned multiple times already, that the Nintendo 3DS is not capable for children and added an age lock on this device. According to the medical experts, the handheld would not give any damage to eyes of children under the age of six.

Actually, according to the American association of opticians, kids can even profit the 3D images. They say in a statement that the Nintendo 3DS isn’t bad for adults and children by definition. By looking at the 3D images, hidden diseases can be seen, which, if untreated, can lead to learning problems.
Nintendo, however, stays behind their policies and recommends parents to use the age lock on the Nintendo 3DS.[/quote]

I find it hard to imagine that no problems would result from it for anyone, actually. It probably depends on the individual that's looking at the 3D screen, though. Personally, looking at anything with a "3D effect" that does require glasses for only a minute or so makes my eyes hurt and gives me a terrible headache, so the 3DS's effect, while not requiring them, probably won't be very different. Like I said though, different people probably have a different level of tolerance towards seeing fake 3D, and I also don't know how permanent the effects would be after longer exposure to it for someone like me who has serious trouble looking at these things (and am not crazy about finding out). In any case, it seems like a good idea not to risk giving your child lasting eye problems, even if it's allegedly safe; a lot of things have been considered safe in the past even when they really weren't.

There's always an option to adjust the intensity of the 3D. If you can't stand it, simply turn it off.

If you can't find a more legitimate source than bulbapedia, I'm not buying it.

President Iwata said:
If you can't find a more legitimate source than bulbapedia, I'm not buying it.
Post of the year.

Also, even if it were true, just turn the 3D off as people said. It seems every time a new type of TV/Computer/Game screen comes out people freak out.

BabyLuigiOnFire said:
There's always an option to adjust the intensity of the 3D. If you can't stand it, simply turn it off.
Mason said:
just turn the 3D off as people said. It seems every time a new type of TV/Computer/Game screen comes out people freak out.
Turning off the 3D to prevent eye problems is what the safety warning is about; the claim is that leaving it turned on would cause lasting problems to children, which is why it comes with parental controls to ensure it's turned off. I'm not quite sure where anybody denied that the 3D could be turned off or where people freaked out about the system in general, if that is what's being implied here.

Back