Author Topic: Suggestions for Next Year  (Read 22892 times)

Ralph

• Peese shut mouf
  • Donkey Kong
  • ralphfan
  • Thank you based god
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Next Year
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2010, 02:30:35 PM »
Which brings me to my next point.  For some reason, we could barely get people to sign up to present next year.

Losing you and Uniju takes away six scripts.  We also had six backup scripts, three from Stoob, two from me, and one from Fassad.  That would put us at 38 scripts.  How the *bleep* would we do 75 if that's barely half of that?

SpinyMaster347

• Power Star
  • ..and with that, pow! I'm gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2010, 05:15:01 PM »
Okay. I see the point your point now.
I want a prequel on DK's life where we find out tht he used to be a salesclerk at Best Buy.

Super Mario Bros.

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Shine Sprite
  • Oh boy! Haha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2010, 07:04:06 PM »
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here.

But I honestly don't see why we couldn't expand the Awards.

Unless you actually have an idea as to what these extra awards would be, it won't happen.
Perhaps having a NIWA category would be cool; I tried suggesting a NIWA Awards ceremony over at NIWA, but nothing came of it.

And I've already thought of ideas for the additional Awards that would be added to the UP and 'Shroom Awards. I'd be happy to PM you with those ideas.

And putting the awards together is a ton of work.  The actual scripts isn't the problem.
I've offered my assistance in this area, as have a few other users. This point is moot.

The problem is making the polls, results tables, scripts, getting presenters.  We barely even got 50 *bleep*ing scripts signed up for this year.  If anything, revert back to 40.  Let's just stand pat at 50.
Let's not revert to 40, NOBODY but you wants the awards to downsize.

And I know for a fact Wayo would not support this.  In fact, he would prefer to have the 30 Mario, nothing else.
I'm sure Wayoshi would allow some things you're not letting happen. He was considering making the Awards 2 nights, and possibly 3 nights. I was the one who had a problem with it because of the tournaments.

As much as I love The 'Shroom and Userpedia, we may need to scrap those two for next year.  Seriously, this is the Mario awards.
That would just be lame; no offense, but it would.

It's too much work.  It would take too long.  I know for a fact that the more awards you have, the fewer people will vote because it seems like too many for them.
...:|

This really sounds like an excuse if anything. We can set up the different polls at different weeks; it is possible, we would just actually have to plan and think harder.

And I'd really like to have more awards.
Then let's add new Awards!

It's too much work.  If anything, we need to go back to 40 instead of try to do too much.  Anything more than 50 would be oversaturating the Awards.  Too much.
Not really. As MG1 said, the Awards have so much more potential.

How about we change A19 again?  Favorite Species was weak.  Too close to Enemy.  How about something like Favorite NPC.  It doesn't sound great, but we have 8 months before any decisions need to be reached.
Sounds good.

I will be more than happy to create six scripts for next year. The comic was the biggest problem, so just screw it.

I wanna make more than three scripts next year, these three were fun to make and I wanna try a story-type script :(

My scripts were just crappy-drawings, a big red rectangle with the results (and a lot of Marioguy1s pasted around) and a montage of sections, nothing really creative...
I would be happy to as well. I'd make a ton of scripts if we could expand. I'd jump through hoops and go through any length.

@Ralph: We already have volunteers for next year. I'm pretty sure you'll make some scripts, as will Stooben. We lost 2 regular Awards scripts writers. Boohoo. That's no reason to downscale one of the biggest events to celebrate the history of this wonderful site.

I would, but you probably won't trust me...

I'm sorry, but you've never even been involved with the awards before.  There is no way you would be able to do some of the stuff.

And most of the worst isn't stuff that can be split up.

Here is what I did over the last couple months:

June 11-16: Create polls
July 15-19: Tally results
July 19-20: Send out results to presenters, persuade people to sign up
July 20-August 1: Write scripts, get people to sign up
August 2-6: Away, receive 40 PMs
August 7-9: Gather, organize scripts, tell presenters who haven't finished to finish
August 10: Rewrite my own terrible scripts
August 11-13: PM properly formatted, edited scripts to presenters and hosts
August 13: Show

While it looks like these tasks can be split, honestly, they can't.  There is too much time taken to explain to too many people how to do all the stuff.

I did all the things listed above while Stooben designed tons of images, not just for the result tables, but for the seven presentations he did.  We could barely get 50 scripts together.  It would impossible to do much more.

I know we get more users every year, but you have to account for veterans retiring, and that includes veterbs who have been involved with the awards for a while.  A lot of the new users don't want to get involved. In fact, this is what one user told me.  This user joined in late 2009:

IS HE KIDDING? NO WAY!  Why the heck would I do that?? NO!  I'M NOT DOING IT. I'M TOO BUSY.

I'd love for this whole thing to happen, but it can't be done.  So, I will tell you again:

NO.
I've offered to help with this stuff. You refuse. :\

How about spanning it to two days?
I proposed a solid schedule that would allow us to host it all in one day.

The time isn't the problem.  It's getting the awards set up in the first place.  We had trouble even coming up with a decent A19 in the first place, and the first thing I wanna do next year is get rid of Favorite Species.
Time isn't a problem... Even though you said you had to pull strings to get last night to work? In any event, once again; you've been offered a least 3 helping hands.

Once again, you guys are trying to oversaturate the awards.  It can't be done.  It won't happen.  I am putting my foot down.
You mean you can't do it, right? We're not trying to oversaturate the awards; everybody who has posted in this thread (except for you) has supported expanding the Awards. Also, I thought you were in charge of the Fail Awards. You can't go about making decisions for these ceremonies without Stooben, who is in charge of the Mario (a.k.a.: the MAIN PART of the ceremony) Awards.

Which brings me to my next point.  For some reason, we could barely get people to sign up to present next year.

Losing you and Uniju takes away six scripts.  We also had six backup scripts, three from Stoob, two from me, and one from Fassad.  That would put us at 38 scripts.  How the *bleep* would we do 75 if that's barely half of that?
I'd love to do more Awards scripts. I'll do 8 awards. 10 awards. It just has to be planned right, which (despite your thoughts on the matter) can happen.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 07:06:11 PM by McDonalds Bros. »

SMB artwork by Edofenrir.

Marioguy1

• 'Shroom Core Staff
  • Shine Sprite
  • Leo
    • View Profile
    • Userpedia - The Wiki about MarioWiki Users
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2010, 07:18:27 PM »
Per SMB, we're extending our hands to you ralph and you're just ignoring them. Everybody is willing to help, you just need to accept the help.

Gamefreak75

• Global Moderator
  • Power Star
  • "The hated boss who beats you down..."
    • View Profile
    • Kirby Wikia
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2010, 07:32:11 PM »
Now that I know what is going on, I am willing to help as much as I can, dude.

SMB: I was thinking maybe for the new award to be something like non-Mario (i.e. Kirby, Metroid, Zelda, and other major franchises) At least 10, one for best game and one for best character of the respective franchise.

Marioguy1

• 'Shroom Core Staff
  • Shine Sprite
  • Leo
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2010, 07:35:22 PM »

SMB: I was thinking maybe for the new award to be something like non-Mario (i.e. Kirby, Metroid, Zelda, and other major franchises) At least 10, one for best game and one for best character of the respective franchise.
5 awards to start with, all awards (IIRC) have begun with 5 as a test. And I agree with NIWA Awards

Gamefreak75

• Global Moderator
  • Power Star
    • View Profile
    • Kirby Wikia
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2010, 07:41:15 PM »
K. I will do more awards since I am not doing any comics.

Also, I think I was the only one this year who did a comic or attempted to make a comic.

Super Mario Bros.

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Shine Sprite
  • Oh boy! Haha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2010, 07:43:35 PM »

5 awards to start with, all awards (IIRC) have begun with 5 as a test. And I agree with NIWA Awards
Hm...

I personally think 5 awards is a good place to start (The 'Shroom Awards I and Userpedia Awards III were the first to only have 5, by the way).

I actually think Tucayo made an unofficial award dedicated to Nintendo non-Mario games, so that's something to consider. Perhaps the "Nintendo Awards"?

Marioguy1

• 'Shroom Core Staff
  • Shine Sprite
  • Leo
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2010, 07:45:01 PM »
I like Non-Mario Awards more...Nintendo Awards sounds like favorite system or favorite developer...etc.

Gamefreak75

• Global Moderator
  • Power Star
    • View Profile
    • Kirby Wikia
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2010, 07:47:11 PM »
I like Non-Mario Awards more...Nintendo Awards sounds like favorite system or favorite developer...etc.
Per.

Hm...

I personally think 5 awards is a good place to start (The 'Shroom Awards I and Userpedia Awards III were the first to only have 5, by the way).

I actually think Tucayo made an unofficial award dedicated to Nintendo non-Mario games, so that's something to consider. Perhaps the "Nintendo Awards"?
Tucayo made it just for most anticipated non-Mario game. The one I am suggesting is more broad. It will be 5 polls for the following franchises: Kirby, Metroid, Zelda, Pokemon, and Other (EarthBound, Pikmin, other minor franchises) where it is a fill in and the player will choose their favorite game. How does it sound?

Super Mario Bros.

• Retired Wiki Staff
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Shine Sprite
  • Oh boy! Haha!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2010, 07:48:27 PM »
favorite system or favorite developer...etc.
Which is also a decent idea.

Tucayo made it just for most anticipated non-Mario game. The one I am suggesting is more broad. It will be 5 polls for the following franchises: Kirby, Metroid, Zelda, Pokemon, and Other (EarthBound, Pikmin, other minor franchises) where it is a fill in and the player will choose their favorite game. How does it sound?
Sounds pretty good. I like this.

Marioguy1

• 'Shroom Core Staff
  • Shine Sprite
  • Leo
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2010, 07:50:19 PM »
favorite system or favorite developer...etc.
Which is also a decent idea.
See? We have tons of ideas.

Anyways, I like GF's idea too

Gamefreak75

• Global Moderator
  • Power Star
    • View Profile
    • Kirby Wikia
« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2010, 07:55:56 PM »
Glad you guys think so.

Now we just need to convince Ralph...

Ralph

• Peese shut mouf
  • Donkey Kong
  • ralphfan
  • Thank you based god
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2010, 08:18:08 PM »
Take it to the folks at NIWA.

Gamefreak75

• Global Moderator
  • Power Star
    • View Profile
    • Kirby Wikia
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2010, 08:26:50 PM »
C'mon Ralph! We would probably get more voters if we widened our categories on things.

Marioguy1

• 'Shroom Core Staff
  • Shine Sprite
  • Leo
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2010, 09:08:34 PM »
Ralph: If the "folks at NIWA" agree, will you?

Ralph

• Peese shut mouf
  • Donkey Kong
  • ralphfan
  • Thank you based god
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2010, 11:37:11 PM »
I'll look into it.  The best system would be to put the current 50 on a Friday and the others on a Saturday.

Each wiki could host their own on a Friday and then a collective one on a Saturday.

But I wouldn't take the leadership in this.  I'd help you guys if you're able to pull it off.  Remember, I'm still against the idea.

Marioguy1

• 'Shroom Core Staff
  • Shine Sprite
  • Leo
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2010, 11:41:53 PM »
Ralph, we're talking about expanding UP, Fail and 'Shroom and adding in five new awards, not creating awards for every wiki in NIWA...

Ralph

• Peese shut mouf
  • Donkey Kong
  • ralphfan
  • Thank you based god
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2010, 01:31:12 AM »
Well, expanding UP and 'Shroom would be tough.  The easiest to expand would be Fail.  The most awards to legitimately fit into 1 day is 60.  Maybe 30 and 30 or 40 and 20 or something if we expand.

Gamefreak75

• Global Moderator
  • Power Star
    • View Profile
    • Kirby Wikia
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2010, 01:34:21 AM »
I say 30 Mario, 15-20 Fail, 10 Shroom, 10 UP, and 5 non-Mario ones.