2010 FIFA World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garlic Man

Name-change free since 2018
The 2010 World Cup in South Africa official thread.

I don't usually watch professional soccer, but I'm always excited to watch this.

Who will you be rooting for? Who do you think will win?

Discuss in general.

I'm rooting for the US, Ivory Coast, and Ghana, after their big run last time.

Groups:

Group A
South Africa
Mexico

Uruguay
France

Group B
Argentina
Nigeria
South Korea (Korea Republic)
Greece

Group C
England
USA
Algeria
Slovenia

Group D
Germany
Australia
Serbia
Ghana

Group E
Netherlands
Denmark
Japan

Cameroon

Group F
Italy
Paraguay
New Zealand
Slovakia

Group G
Brazil
North Korea (Korea DPR)
Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast)
Portugal

Group H
Spain
Switzerland
Honduras
Chile

I also rarely watch soccer (I watched some of qualifying, though), but I wouldn't miss this for the world.

</badpun>

I'll be rooting for Japan.

As always.

I expect South Korea to fare better than Japan. If Japan wins even once, I'll be surprised. They're in a tough group, but I expect they'll play Denmark well.

You'd be surprised if Japan wins a game?

Well I guess you'll be surprised out of your pants come June.

There's no way they'll beat Netherlands, Denmark had great group play in qualifying (beat Portugal and Sweden) and Cameroon's not bad, either.

Say what you must, and we shall wait for results.

This is true. But I think they can compete with the others in the pool, rather than go winless, as you say.

It'll be exciting to see how they play Denmark. As for USA, their positioning is similar to the hockey team at the Vancouver Games. Two weak teams and a strong one that's known to fail in the spotlight. BTW, except for North Korea, Group G looks tough. Shame only two will advance to the knockout round.

Of course, I want Mexico to win. Their group is kinda uncomfortable, but I am sure they can make it past the first round.
Argentina has a great team, specially the forwards, but their coach will ruin them.
I say Spain, Italy or England will win.

After seeing the first match and the better part of the second, I got up in time for Argentina-Nigeria but skipped Souh Korea-Greece. If South Korea and Nigeria are to eliminate Diego Primadonna's squad, they need to go 2-1 and have Greece upset Argentina.

MY thoguhts on the first 4 matches

Mexico - SOuth Africa: Mexico needs to score, thats their main problem, they get 10 oportunities, and score one. Guille Franco tends to do that...
Uruguay - France: Uruguay played defensively, and it worked for them. I think they are the strongest team in Group A
Korea - Greece: Korea surprised me, Iw as expecting a tie, or a Greece win.
Argentina - Nigeria: Argentina doesn't have a coach, they have Maradona (NOTE: That is not good), Nigeria is fast and their goalie is a beast

Zakumi said:
Of course, I want Mexico to win. Their group is kinda uncomfortable, but I am sure they can make it past the first round.
Argentina has a great team, specially the forwards, but their coach will ruin them.
I say Spain, Italy or England will win.
England? No.

My picks are Spain, Brazil, and the Netherlands.

I was really pleased with the first half of the US-England match, though the defense was sloppy on the Gerrard goal and on another play where Howard bailed them out, the team was far more aggressive than I expected. Using a 4-4-2 over a 4-5-1 gave them tons of chances on Green.

For tomorrow's matches:

Algeria-Slovenia: Expect it to be low-scoring. Algeria has a strong keeper in Faouzi Chaouchi, but Slovenia will get their fair share of chances. The final will be 1-0, 1-1 or 2-1. No clue who comes out on top, though.

Ghana-Serbia: Without Essien, Ghana is also a dark horse. However, Serbia looked great in qualifying, going 7-2-1. The losses were against France and in their final match against Lithuania (they had already won the group) and they tied France. They also went 2-0 against Romania, who tied France in both meetings. I think Serbia will pull it out, but the teams can combine for 4 or 5 goals. Whoever wins this match will need to defeat the loser of the other to advance.

Germany-Australia: The winner of this match will advance. Though most experts predict a German victory, not having Michael Ballack will hurt their offense. Expect Miroslav Klose and Lukas Podolski to step up in his absence. Australia doesn't have manager Guus Hiddink back from 2006, but they do have a lot of veterans like Tim Cahill. The winner of this match will advance to the second round while the loser will need to defeat the victor of Ghana-Serbia to move on.

I think Germany and Serbia will advance, personally.

Tommorows games are with worse teams. Low scores. I was glad with todays results, a win for South Korea AND Argentina. ;D

I like Messi and Tevez, but Maradona causes me to root against Argentina.

I think Serbia-Ghana will be high-scoring and Australia-Germany will have a few goals. Algeria-Slovenia will be all about defense, though.

The fact that they are Argentina make me root against them.

My thoughts on England - USA

England has a very dangerous aerial game, but the fact that Crouch wasn't tehre for the first 80 minutes pretty much ruined their aerial game. The goalies were important to the match, Green made a mistake that gave the US the win, and Howard made some good saves. Donovan went unnoticed the first 85 minutes. Also, the referee should have let Herculez go in.
I think they will both go onto the next round with 7 points.

And yes, I am rooting for England to win the World Cup

Mexico should have won the opening game had it not been for a BS call by the referee.

My thoughts on tommorow:

Algeria vs. Slovenia: Algeria has the better goalie, but overall Slovenia has the better squad. I say a low scoring win for Slovenia.

Serbia vs. Ghana: Not sure who will win this one. Probably Ghana, though, their forward (whazzizname?) is very good.

Germany vs. Australia: This match should be a cakewalk for Germany. Nuff said.

Good luck to all teams!

Westheimer said:
Mexico should have won the opening game had it not been for a BS call by the referee.
Yeah, but it was SOuth Africa, they had to win or at least tie even if they needed help from the referee.
Oaktown Mojo said:
I think Gomez should've been put in ten minutes earlier, Tucky.
Definitely

My thoughts on Algeria-Slovenia:
DIdn't have the level of a World Cup match

Zakumi said:
Westheimer said:
Yeah, but it was SOuth Africa, they had to win or at least tie even if they needed help from the referee.
If that were the case, then South Africa will win the whole tournament.

Well, perhaps not win the whole tournament :P But they will do well

Slovenia is 1st in group C :P

I have 4 correct outta 5 in a World Cup forecast (is that correct?) I made.

My thoughts on Ghana-Serbia:
Good game. When serbia lost a man, they managed to keep the tie, they were even close to winning, but you can't gift a penalty like that. There were more mistakes, but none of them were reflected oon the score, thats why the score its fault of Kanzakovic or whatever his name is.

I would be amazed if brasil won this world cup since it would be the very first country to get world cups in all of the continents (not counting Oceania).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back