Timeline

Mario has a very confusing plot. It is hard to keep track of exactly what happened when. woudnt a timeline on the wiki be a good idea?

Some things just don't fit into a general timeline. The best we can do is to put the games in order of release, unless otherwise specified by the story (i.e. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island is the first Mario game as Mario was born just prior to the events of the game).

son of suns said:Some things just don't fit into a general timeline.

well thats true. the mario partys for instance, cant be catergorized. but still...

as for it being hard, I already started one privately. I just need to know how to put it on the wiki.

ultimatetoad said:
as for it being hard, I already started one privately. I just need to know how to put it on the wiki.
If it's going to look like a timeline, make it an image. Otherwise, post it and I'll help on the format.

Ok. one thing I forgot to mention: when I get the chance Im going to ADD descriptions of the plot of each game. To help explain the mysteries of the marioverse (like why toads so awesome) Things with a + happened at the same time as the one below them, vice versa with _

yoshis island
yoshi touch and go
yoshis story
donkey kong
donkry kong 94
donkey kong jr.
wrecking crew
mario bros.
mario clash
super mario bros.+
donkey kong 3_
super mario bros. the lost levels
doki doki panic
super mario bros. 2
super mario bros.3
super mario land
super mario land 2:6 golden coins
dr.mario+
warios woods_
super mario world
super mario kart
mario is missing+
donkey kong country_
mario and wario
super mario rpg: legend of the 7 stars
mario kart 64
mario golf 64
mario tennis 64
super mario 64+
donkey kong country 2+_
wario land 1_
super smash bros.+
wario land 2_
donkey kong country 3
warioland3+
donkeykong 64_
dr.mario 64
paper mario
luigis mansion
wario land 4
super mario sunshine
mario and luigi: superstar saga
diddy kong racing
paper mario 2+
wario world_
mario superstar baseball
super mario strikers
super princess peach+
warioware:mega micro games_
new super mario bros.
warioware touched
warioware twisted
mario and luigi: partners in time
mario hoops 3 on 3
super smash bros melee
mario golf:toadstool tour
mario kart doubledash
mario v.s. donkey kong
mario tennis toadstool tour
mario kart ds
mario v.s. donkey kong 2: march of the minis

You can’t assume that some things happened the same times as others. What would be best is a timeline of the major events in respect to individual characters and franchises. Whose to say that games that don’t feature the same characters take place at different intervals in respect to the other franchises. Here are some other problems with your timeline:

1. You can’t just assume Mario Clash is in the past (it’s not a major event regardless).
2. Doki Doki Panic is not a Mario game.
3. You also placed Super Mario Land after Super Mario Bros. 3. This does not make sense, as the Super Mario World instruction manual specifically states that Super Mario World takes place directly after the events of Super Mario Bros. 3.
4. Mario and Wario cannot be included as it is a Japanese only game (and thus has no canonical value in the North American Marioverse).

As such, it would be better to look at the timelines of individual characters instead of trying to weave all of them together in a master list FOR IT SIMPLY CANNOT BE DONE! Look at each character individually then frame a biography for them.

Here's a timeline of Mario's major events:

Mario’s Life (Major Events)

1. Super Mario World: Yoshi’s Island (concurrently with Yoshi Touch and Go)
2. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time (past)
3. Donkey Kong 94 (Donkey Kong)
4. Donkey Kong Jr. (direct sequel of Donkey Kong)
5. Mario Bros.
6. Wrecking Crew
7. Super Mario Bros.
8. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (direct sequel of Super Mario Brs.)
9. Super Mario Bros. 2
10. Super Mario Land
11. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (direct sequel of Super Mario Land)
12. Super Mario Bros. 3
13. Super Mario World (direct sequel of Super Mario Bros. 3)
14. Yoshi’s Safari
15. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
16. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
17. Super Mario 64 DS (Super Mario 64)
18. Paper Mario
19. Luigi’s Mansion
20. Super Mario Sunshine
21. Mario vs. Donkey Kong
22. Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
23. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
24. Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
25. Super Princess Peach
26. New Super Mario Bros,
27. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis

See the Yoshi article for a good way to organize major events between non-major events (i.e. Mario Kart, Puzzle Games, Sports, Mario Party, and Super Smash Bros.).

Youre right about the mario land-world thing. Im surprised I missed that. Mario clash I decided was In the past because It was basicallya remake of Mario Bros. However just because Mario and Wario is a japenese game doesnt mean its not a part of the timeline.I included doki doki panic, Because It was the game that spawned into SMB2. I also did the same time thing to try to explain certain mysteries. Like why didnt mario help toad in warios woods? because he was working at the hospital. why didnt he help stanley during DK3? He had just went to the mushroom kingdom. Why wasnt wario in SSB? He had gone to kitchen island. You didnt include mario is missing which mario appeared in. I did the sports titles because It was more fun to include them. However therye not completely nessecary. And I think Super mario 64 ds is a different game than super mario 64 and that donkey kong is different than donkey kong 94. other than that your list is good too. but we would need to make one for all the other characters too. (the important ones anyway) which actually may be a better Idea. So im fine with either.

The problem is we can't just assume Mario was off doing something and that's why he wasn't somewhere else. That's just fanon. We are trying to create a canon wiki. However, you are welcome to post your ideas on your user page.

Son_of_Suns said:
The problem is we can't just assume Mario was off doing something and that's why he wasn't somewhere else. That's just fanon. We are trying to create a canon wiki. However, you are welcome to post your ideas on your user page.

:evil: Bureaucracy :twisted:

Well ok But I stil think a timeline in any form is a good idea.l

O.K. I put one on ym userpage. only one game so far, but itll grow.

Back