Author Topic: Suggestions for Next Year  (Read 20164 times)

Wayoshi

• Yoshius Maximus
  • Luma
  • PM Pro
    • View Profile
Suggestions for Next Year
« on: August 15, 2009, 12:53:20 AM »
Before I forget, I'm going to write down comments on this year. Feel agree to not comment or agree or disagree or whatever.

-A strict schedule on this is doomed to fail. Judge the minutes between awards by its length, let everyone comment, AT LEAST 5 minutes. 15 minute breaks every 10-15 awards is a good guideline as well.
-5 hours is not enough for 50 awards thus - we need 7-8. Since more people seemed to actually make the time to come all day, and the forced-presentation backup send-in to my PM worked very well (only 1 award leftover - Girrr working hard on A1 as we speak), it is possible to do something like 3-10p next year...or...
-Fail/Userpedia take 3-4 hours one night, Mario takes a relaxed 5 the next. Snack suggests this and a Friday/Saturday combo could work really well (next year: 8/13-14/2010). It could also allow for another set of awards easily, since we seem to love to add every year.
-Chat was incredibly active this year, YES! 20+ people in #mwikiawards for the entire event! Forum activity was high for Userpedia but then went back to average. That forum activity caused slowness and led to half the posts in the Userpedia Awards II ceremony thread as last year (151, 80). 100 for Fail was a nice start. 300+ for Mario is average the last two ceremonies (340s, 308). Two nights may remedy this inconsistency.
-MKWii tourney is 95% going to happen, Brawl still failed

This thread will help me in February when I start getting ideas together for next year! :D

Plumber and S-Y support this:
"SnackServ came up with the idea to spread it out over a Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I think we should have Fail Awards and 10 Mario Awards the first day (20 awards), Userpedia Awards and 10 Mario awards the second day (20 awards) and the last 10 Mario awards along with parties and a tournament and other gimmicks (10 awards + fun crap)."

Snack says:
"My original idea was a two schedule on just Saturday and Sunday with Userpedia and Fail on Saturday and Mario on Sunday. I'm worried that if we spread the awards out too much we could lose activity. Whether we go with a two or three day schedule, I think that this year's performance (Seven and a half hours) has shown that the awards have outgrown a one-day event."
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 01:02:17 AM by Wayoshi »
^ ^

Chihaya Kisaragi

• King Bowser
  • Snack
  • Bluebird; Even If Happiness Is Close By...
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Next Year
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 01:03:14 AM »
My original idea was a two schedule on just Saturday and Sunday with Userpedia and Fail on Saturday and Mario on Sunday. I'm worried that if we spread the awards out too much we could lose activity. Whether we go with a two or three day schedule, I think that this year's performance (Seven and a half hours) has shown that the awards have outgrown a one-day event.

I'm not the expert here though. Do you have any thoughts on whether Friday-Saturday, Saturday-Sunday, or Friday-Saturday-Sunday is a better plan?

Plumber

• No-one in Particular, but Some-frood in General.
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • King Bowser
  • Tenacious Trio
    • View Profile
    • http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/Fantendo:Main_Menu
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 01:05:52 AM »
My original idea was a two schedule on just Saturday and Sunday with Userpedia and Fail on Saturday and Mario on Sunday. I'm worried that if we spread the awards out too much we could lose activity. Whether we go with a two or three day schedule, I think that this year's performance (Seven and a half hours) has shown that the awards have outgrown a one-day event.

I'm not the expert here though. Do you have any thoughts on whether Friday-Saturday, Saturday-Sunday, or Friday-Saturday-Sunday is a better plan?

Well first we would need to decide on two days or three, then we could have multiple polls or something to find the best combination.

In the beginning, the universe was created. This had made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
Humans are not proud of their ancestors, and rarely invite them round to dinner.
Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

Chihaya Kisaragi

• King Bowser
  • Snack
  • Bluebird; Even If Happiness Is Close By...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 01:13:00 AM »
Another suggestion is that all staff should be required to have "El_???ius" names :P

Plumber

• No-one in Particular, but Some-frood in General.
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • King Bowser
  • Tenacious Trio
    • View Profile
    • http://fantendo.wikia.com/wiki/Fantendo:Main_Menu
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 01:16:10 AM »
Yeah, we need some more HispaniLatin involved.  :posh:

Also, we should have a MKDS tournament because MKWii sucks.

In the beginning, the universe was created. This had made many people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
Humans are not proud of their ancestors, and rarely invite them round to dinner.
Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

Azusa Miura

• Wiki Administrator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Turboo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 01:32:27 AM »
It'd be harder to manage thanks to the "4 people per match" thing.

Stooben

• Stobin
  • Retired Wiki Staff
  • Star Spirit
  • Stooben Rooben
    • View Profile
    • The Xephyr Board
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 03:52:26 AM »
It'd be harder to manage thanks to the "4 people per match" thing.
You could do it in a championship-style way, though.

Example: There are sixteen competitors. They are broke up into four groups of four; the champions from each of those four groups (one from each) would battle each other in the last match.
Rest in peace, Walkazo.

Booman

• I'm a mean one.
  • King Bowser
  • The radioactive Boo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 09:20:14 PM »
Another suggestion is that all staff should be required to have "El_???ius" names :P
Yes!Lets get The 3 day plan!All the tourney people have to be on chat.FREE COOKIES!!!!
:posh:

Ralph

• Peese shut mouf
  • Donkey Kong
  • ralphfan
  • Thank you based god
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 06:30:11 PM »
Once again, everyone should be able to come to meetings.  That concept really worked well.

Gummy

• Dry Bowser
  • Snowstalker
  • Snowstalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 10:35:54 PM »
Maybe make it so that only certain users can vote? I mean, that was probably the reason why SMW lost to NEW SUPER FRIGGIN' MARIO BROS.

Wayoshi

• Yoshius Maximus
  • Luma
  • PM Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 10:46:48 PM »
Don't you want the general opinion instead of just the users here? :P
^ ^

Ralph

• Peese shut mouf
  • Donkey Kong
  • ralphfan
  • Thank you based god
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 03:04:29 PM »
I think one person (Wayo or St00by) should present all the awards so they're all on schedule.  Also, the two or three day plan would work.  Maybe some stat-based awards could be given throughout (most edits; most lines spoken in chat, etc.).  The red carpet show would work, and maybe guessing results could be updated after each award.  I posted them on chat and the forum throughout and I wasn't there for part of it.  A Strikers Charged tournament, maybe?

Friday: UP and Strikers Charged
Saturday: Fail and Brawl
Sunday: Mario and MKWii
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 10:16:27 PM by ralphfan »

Waluigi

• Waluigi hates custom titles.
  • Boo
  • Luigifreak
  • OH YEAH!!! WALUIGI TIME!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 11:20:03 PM »
HIGHLY Support three day plan. Maybe we could plan to have the awards of people who couldn't make it on Friday on Saturday or Sunday?