Why is AOL Instant Messenger Still In the Forum Profile Even Though its defunct?

MediaVideoEditor856 said:
Title is my question.. why? AOLIM Is defunct.
the forum software is old

Ritsuko Akizuki said:
Marchionne Evangelisti said:
Ritsuko Akizuki said:
the forum software is old

Why don't we update it?
because it works and updating has the possibility of breaking things we actually use
Though it doesn't seem to be a problem atm there's probably known vulnerabilities in the current version that people could use to attack us.

And this is why if I make my own forum, I'm not gonna use Super Mario Forever/Sourcemaker Film as the software.

As I am a security expert, per my research, older software is more vulnerable to hacking and stuff. While it may break certain things. It could be useful against threats. The benefits of updating the software outways the downsides. That is why if I created my own forums, I would upgrade the software regularly. Of course we can use the bbc code and stuff still. Of course we would need Porple's approval, but it would make it better while decreasing the risk of being hacked. I'm just giving out useful info.

Cheeseburger in Paradise said:
As I am a security expert, per my research, older software is more vulnerable to hacking and stuff. While it may break certain things. It could be useful against threats. The benefits of updating the software outways the downsides. That is why if I created my own forums, I would upgrade the software regularly. Of course we can use the bbc code and stuff still. Of course we would need Porple's approval, but it would make it better while decreasing the risk of being hacked. I'm just giving out useful info.
Newer software would probably remove the "you can edit posts within one minute and the edit won't be logged" thing. And who wants that gone?

EDIT: See, this wasn't logged! One of my favorite parts about this forum!

Security is the number one concern. While we aren't under any threats now, it doesn't mean it couldn't happen. I doubt that the logged feature would be gone. It would be better encripted.

YoshiFlutterJump said:
Newer software would probably remove the "you can edit posts within one minute and the edit won't be logged" thing. And who wants that gone?

Do you mean the, 'This post was edited at [timestamp]' thing?

If it's a feature of the software and not a custom mod it probably won't go away with an update.

YoshiFlutterJump said:

This literally is a feature of this forum's software. The forum doesn't save modification times within 90 seconds because it was set up not to do so.

I doubt that the logged feature would be gone. It would be better encripted.
How do you better encrypt a timestamp?

Lakituthequick said:
YoshiFlutterJump said:

This literally is a feature of this forum's software. The forum doesn't save modification times within 90 seconds because it was set up not to do so.
Wait really? I thought that was a side effect to the forum software being so old! I guess now I can exploit it all I want, even if the forum software eventually gets updated.

It's not that much of an issue, it's more like a comedic relic of the past at this point. I don't see any harm in it staying up.

Back