Author Topic: Why is AOL Instant Messenger Still In the Forum Profile Even Though its defunct?  (Read 472 times)

MediaVideoEditor856

• Drink Wilkins
  • King Bowser
  • Mario Kart DS Fan
  • MVE856
    • View Profile
Title is my question.. why? AOLIM Is defunct.
Quality post by MKDSF

Ritsuko Akizuki

• also known as Blocky
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Superchao
  • give it up for loud noises
    • View Profile
Title is my question.. why? AOLIM Is defunct.
the forum software is old

MediaVideoEditor856

• Drink Wilkins
  • King Bowser
  • Mario Kart DS Fan
  • MVE856
    • View Profile
Quality post by MKDSF

fantanoice

• Vee vee
  • Power Star
  • I can see through time
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
Add me on ICQ and MSN
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

<< Watch Pokemon Let's Go! Eevee Nuzlocke Stream >>
Ask Me Stuff

Striker Luigi

• Let's talk about shopping cart saftey for a minute
  • King Bowser
  • Long John Spaghetti
  • "Fellons? Yo, I never fell on nobody! I'm uh..."
    • View Profile
    • My Theme Song

Why don't we update it?
~ Long John Spaghetti was here!

YoshiFlutterJump

• The Flying Yoshi
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile

Why don't we update it?
I don't have any techy knowledge with forum software stuff, but my guess is that it's easier said than done.

Ritsuko Akizuki

• also known as Blocky
  • Global Moderator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Superchao
  • give it up for loud noises
    • View Profile

Why don't we update it?
because it works and updating has the possibility of breaking things we actually use

Mintiously

• Gabriel
  • Dry Bowser
  • GabbyHayes
  • >> Not afraid anymore!
    • View Profile
lol!!! x3 u should add me on myspace xD
Howdy.

fantanoice

• Vee vee
  • Power Star
  • I can see through time
    • View Profile
    • Twitch

Why don't we update it?
because it works and updating has the possibility of breaking things we actually use
Though it doesn't seem to be a problem atm there's probably known vulnerabilities in the current version that people could use to attack us.

Ask Me Stuff

The Stanley Parable Adventure Line™

• Mushroom Attendant
  • Kingbowser99
  • BA DA DA DUM BA DA DUM BA DA DA DUM BA DA DA DUM
    • View Profile

Creature from the Depths of Hell Itself

• Super Smash Bros. Brawl uses a dual-layer disc due to the size of the game data. Nintendo of America has stated that some Wii consoles may have difficulty reading the high-density software due to a contaminated laser lens.
  • Banned
  • Luma
  • Jigglypurin
  • I regret my username.
    • View Profile
    • Super Fighting Robot!
And this is why if I make my own forum, I'm not gonna use Super Mario Forever/Sourcemaker Film as the software.
I'm a 14-year-old gamer who used to be inactive.
FLASH BRIEFING: Atari and AtGames rename Atari Flashback 10 to "Atari 2600 Mini" and removes 84 games; reception is more positive than ever

Hank Williams Jr.

• Nobody wants wants to get drunk and get loud.
  • Dry Bowser
  • George Jones
  • Founder of the Sharknado Clan, formed 2015
    • View Profile
    • My GameFAQs account
As I am a security expert, per my research, older software is more vulnerable to hacking and stuff. While it may break certain things. It could be useful against threats. The benefits of updating the software outways the downsides. That is why if I created my own forums, I would upgrade the software regularly. Of course we can use the bbc code and stuff still. Of course we would need Porple's approval, but it would make it better while decreasing the risk of being hacked. I'm just giving out useful info.
  I am addicted to Felicia, the character in the image on the left.  R.I.P. George Jones, in the image in the center and J. D. Sumner, in the image on the right.

YoshiFlutterJump

• The Flying Yoshi
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
As I am a security expert, per my research, older software is more vulnerable to hacking and stuff. While it may break certain things. It could be useful against threats. The benefits of updating the software outways the downsides. That is why if I created my own forums, I would upgrade the software regularly. Of course we can use the bbc code and stuff still. Of course we would need Porple's approval, but it would make it better while decreasing the risk of being hacked. I'm just giving out useful info.
Newer software would probably remove the "you can edit posts within one minute and the edit won't be logged" thing.  And who wants that gone?

EDIT: See, this wasn't logged!  One of my favorite parts about this forum!

Hank Williams Jr.

• Nobody wants wants to get drunk and get loud.
  • Dry Bowser
  • George Jones
  • Founder of the Sharknado Clan, formed 2015
    • View Profile
    • My GameFAQs account
Security is the number one concern. While we aren't under any threats now, it doesn't mean it couldn't happen. I doubt that the logged feature would be gone. It would be better encripted.
  I am addicted to Felicia, the character in the image on the left.  R.I.P. George Jones, in the image in the center and J. D. Sumner, in the image on the right.

fantanoice

• Vee vee
  • Power Star
  • I can see through time
    • View Profile
    • Twitch
Newer software would probably remove the "you can edit posts within one minute and the edit won't be logged" thing.  And who wants that gone?

Do you mean the, 'This post was edited at [timestamp]' thing?

If it's a feature of the software and not a custom mod it probably won't go away with an update.

Ask Me Stuff

Lakituthequick

• with lowercase T and Q
  • Awards Committee
  • Celestial Guide
  • Rest in Peace, Walkazo 😢
    • View Profile

This literally is a feature of this forum's software. The forum doesn't save modification times within 90 seconds because it was set up not to do so.

I doubt that the logged feature would be gone. It would be better encripted.
How do you better encrypt a timestamp?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 06:16:14 PM by Lakituthequick »

YoshiFlutterJump

• The Flying Yoshi
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile

This literally is a feature of this forum's software. The forum doesn't save modification times within 90 seconds because it was set up not to do so.
Wait really?  I thought that was a side effect to the forum software being so old!  I guess now I can exploit it all I want, even if the forum software eventually gets updated.

Revenant Archagent

• Back in Action
  • King Bowser
  • ArchagentEverlasting
  • Your favorite travel guide guy
    • View Profile
    • Travel Guide with Archagent
It's not that much of an issue, it's more like a comedic relic of the past at this point. I don't see any harm in it staying up.

Striker Luigi

• Let's talk about shopping cart saftey for a minute
  • King Bowser
  • Long John Spaghetti
  • "Fellons? Yo, I never fell on nobody! I'm uh..."
    • View Profile
    • My Theme Song
What we really need is Twitter in the Forum Profile.
~ Long John Spaghetti was here!