Yuji Naka almost made a Mario game

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
The article is right in making us think how much Nintendo has changed since. Thank heavens they're willing to open up their IP to more developers now, or we'd never see games like Mario + Rabbids or that Zelda indie game (Cadence of Hyrule?) see the light of day.

There's that comic pitch that was shot down but I figure if that if it was pitched today, Nintendo would probably be on board. I mean, as long as it's not Archie, I'd be hyped.

Well, I can't entirely say I blame them for being reluctant to lend out their IPs since before recently just about every time they did it wound up being completely terrible.

LeftyGreenMario said:
There's that comic pitch that was shot down but I figure if that if it was pitched today, Nintendo would probably be on board. I mean, as long as it's not Archie, I'd be hyped.
Yes, that's true. I would love to see a Mario comic come to fruition. I would settle for either Boom! or IDW since they have experience with licensed properties, and if it's allowed, we might even have some cool crossovers with the other licensed properties like Sonic (IDW) or Steven Universe (Boom!).

In any case, I don't think it would be Valiant Comics again even though they might have good quality comics.

Thank you for reading.

LeftyGreenMario said:

I believe it was in fact pitched by Archie Comics. But Nintendo must've heard about their bad reputation and quickly shot it down.

I think anyone would after that whole "echidna holocaust" fiasco...!

Archie handled Mega Man just fine. The problem with their Sonic series was that, because it was almost as old as the franchise itself, it had amassed so much convoluted fanfiction nonsense that not even a reboot could flush out. There are all kinds of reasons that wouldn't happen with Mario.

Fleetway also pitched a Mario comic back in the 90's. It was also shot down.

Servo Crow-ation said:
Fleetway also pitched a Mario comic back in the 90's. It was also shot down.

This is a very good discovery! I thought the Fleetway Sonic is a fascinating look at the comic for its unique take on the universe, which would have been great for Mario, and the first signs I see is that Donkey Kong (Jr.?) is incorporated, which is in my opinion better than the Archie Sonic pitch for this reason. It's basically the reason I found KC Deluxe Mario fascinating.

Thank you for reading.

Back