Author Topic: Yuji Naka almost made a Mario game  (Read 321 times)

Lassi

• Let's shout hooray now!
  • King Bowser
  • Pink Cat
  • All animals are friends
    • View Profile
    • Where the wind blows
Yuji Naka almost made a Mario game
« on: March 23, 2019, 04:02:35 PM »
Who is Yuji Naka? He has a hand in making the original Sonic games so great, he made a proposal to  Nintendo to make a Mario game however it was shot down
https://nintendosoup.com/yuji-naka-cadence-of-hyrule-gives-me-the-feeling-nintendo-has-changed-a-lot/
I do wonder what kind of game he was planning and there is a chance if the game might be picked up after all.
Come back soon and when you do, I have some new surprises in my hat for you

Baby Luigi

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 сырная бл🧀🧀🧀 Тарелка!
    • View Profile
Re: Yuji Naka almost made a Mario game
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 04:25:27 PM »
The article is right in making us think how much Nintendo has changed since. Thank heavens they're willing to open up their IP to more developers now, or we'd never see games like Mario + Rabbids or that Zelda indie game (Cadence of Hyrule?) see the light of day.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

LeftyGreenMario

• Do not show the embarrassing CPU scores during the battle.
  • Donkey Kong
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 06:45:05 PM »
There's that comic pitch that was shot down but I figure if that if it was pitched today, Nintendo would probably be on board. I mean, as long as it's not Archie, I'd be hyped.

Mcmadness

• Power Star
  • The idiot who puts things in the wrong board.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 07:20:40 PM »
Well, I can't entirely say I blame them for being reluctant to lend out their IPs since before recently just about every time they did it wound up being completely terrible.

Thank you for taking the time to read this sig. This sig loves you.

winstein

• Shine Sprite
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 09:34:29 AM »
There's that comic pitch that was shot down but I figure if that if it was pitched today, Nintendo would probably be on board. I mean, as long as it's not Archie, I'd be hyped.
Yes, that's true. I would love to see a Mario comic come to fruition. I would settle for either Boom! or IDW since they have experience with licensed properties, and if it's allowed, we might even have some cool crossovers with the other licensed properties like Sonic (IDW) or Steven Universe (Boom!).

In any case, I don't think it would be Valiant Comics again even though they might have good quality comics.

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

JBX9001

• Your Friendly Neighborhood, JBX9001! (I'm apparently an entire living district swingin' around on webstrings)
  • Koopa Troopa
  • IT'S-A GO TIME, MO' FO'S!
    • View Profile
    • JBX9001 on DeviantArt
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 12:51:32 AM »

I believe it was in fact pitched by Archie Comics.  But Nintendo must've heard about their bad reputation and quickly shot it down.

I think anyone would after that whole "echidna holocaust" fiasco...!
Live life responsibly, but make it an adventure!  Enjoy every moment of free time you get, no matter how brief it is or whatever you do in that moment of freedom!

These words of insightful inspiration are brought to you by a goofy, super-nerdy Mario fan!

SiFi

• Ido Romeko
  • Power Star
  • I like the ones where you kill demons from Hell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 03:02:06 AM »
Archie handled Mega Man just fine. The problem with their Sonic series was that, because it was almost as old as the franchise itself, it had amassed so much convoluted fanfiction nonsense that not even a reboot could flush out. There are all kinds of reasons that wouldn't happen with Mario.
Credit to Edofenrir for the middle image below.

Servo Crow-ation

• Lakitu
  • Sgt Jack V
  • Wow, what a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2019, 01:22:42 AM »
Fleetway also pitched a Mario comic back in the 90's. It was also shot down.
"So you look like an erector set with a goiter and I've got a body dogs can't resist!"

winstein

• Shine Sprite
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2019, 08:52:58 AM »
Fleetway also pitched a Mario comic back in the 90's. It was also shot down.

This is a very good discovery! I thought the Fleetway Sonic is a fascinating look at the comic for its unique take on the universe, which would have been great for Mario, and the first signs I see is that Donkey Kong (Jr.?) is incorporated, which is in my opinion better than the Archie Sonic pitch for this reason. It's basically the reason I found KC Deluxe Mario fascinating.

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)