Author Topic: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 16: A game that inspires you  (Read 3656 times)

Alexander Hamilton

• Secretary of Treasury Packy
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
Here we go! Day 4: A game that hit an emotional spot in your heart! Super excited to hear about the games that you hold near and dear to your heart.

Alex95

• NIWA Nut
  • Wiki Administrator
  • Dry Bowser
    • View Profile
    • Power Master Games
I'll go with Fire Emblem Awakening. I really connect with most of the characters (only ones I don't think I do are Gangrel and Aversa), and Owain is just an absolute blast. I don't really get emotional over fictional characters, but they did a good job with Emmeryn's "death", imo. While it's not my favorite FE game (PoR has a better story and group of characters (but lacks Owain)), the amount of time I spend playing Awakening and the fact that I can put myself into it just drives me to like the characters more.

I'm still playing the game, I will not be satisfied until everyone is a tank.

Baby Luigi

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – Тарелка бл🧀🧀🧀 сырная!!
    • View Profile
I haven't played enough story-oriented games to have such a feeling about an impactful death or something that makes me emotionally tear up. The closest I've gotten to that was the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games but even then I knew the status quo would be god and what happens to the characters at the end wouldn't be permanent so I can't say it has hit me particularly hard. I know I had played Tales of Symphonia but I don't quite remember anything emotionally memorable. In addition, while I did feel quite upset at the babies leaving the Mario Bros. in Partners in Time, it hadn't had that profound impact that I'm looking for.

I guess I'll pick Metro 2033 Redux for emotional spots (its sequels would count for something too I guess, since what I'll say applies to them) though it's not exactly a very happy one. The game has a very depressing and pessimistic tone that it has most certainly made me feel quite depressed and pessimistic too for hours in the end and has kept me up just thinking about its story, themes, and setting. The continuous struggle of humans against the apocalypse in their little stations, seeing the snow-covered, monster roaming, poisonous ruins of the once-thriving and bustling Moscow, the fear of the unknown, the humanoid creatures that mutated from the radiation, the sense of loneliness, the corpses of people called stalkers who are sent to find supplies aboveground and never made it back, etc. So far as I played the game, I think the first time you go above the surface ala Dead City is the best level in the game because of those feelings of isolation and desolation exemplified at most, as you don't know quite the extent of the apocalypse has on surface life until you get to there.

I mean, I don't think there's any other game I played that has evoked quite the amount of sadness I received from this. They're usually just badass or happy go-lucky (like Mario) but I haven't played a game that's could be emotionally described as "sad", and that's why it's so unique and very special to me.
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

Toadettefan14

• fan of Mario, Kirby, Sonic, Pokemon, Digimon, Yo-kai Watch, and Crash Bandicoot
  • Whomp
  • It’s hard being an alien lover!
    • View Profile
All main series Pokémon games. I cherish every one I own!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:49:03 PM by Toadettefan14 »

Team Kirby

• Dry Bowser
  • YoshiFlutterJump
    • View Profile
Super Mario Galaxy

Isabelle

• Best girl. And dog. And definitely NOT deserving of the mostly *bleep* fanart she gets.
  • Shine Sprite
  • Koops
  • The adorable, fluffy, 100% hug material Isabelle.
    • View Profile
Super Mario Galaxy

Same.

I was a wee little lad. My simple mind never liked challenge, so as a kid, I had some sort of dislike towards this game, (nowadays it's my favorite of all time) and there is just something about it that is so magical, so endearing. Whenever I hear a piece of that stellar soundtrack, I can't help but smile. The ending always has me at least feel a little crack in my heart.

This game is special. I will continue to cherish it forever.

Poochy

• The pooch himself
  • Dry Bowser
  • Toadgamer
  • Woof!
    • View Profile
I also could go with Mario Galaxy, but I chose Super Paper Mario for this one.

I owned this game in 2013 (that would make me around 8 years old). I played the game and finished it. The ending was something I did NOT expect:

Wario Deluxe

• ONLY FIVE CAN LADDER
  • King Bowser
  • NanoRim
  • Wario de Mambo nya nya nya nyaaaaa
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

Also I guess Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter (DS) and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: EoD/EoT/EoS as runners-up as well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 01:30:03 AM by Wario Deluxe »

Miki Hoshii

• Sleeping Skill Level: Maxed
  • Celestial Guide
  • Crackin355
    • View Profile
I'll just go with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Explorers of mystery dungeons. Even replaying it this year knowing what happens hit me a little. Specifically breaking down on the beach, oof.

A more obscure one would be the ending of Ao no Kiseki when Lloyd gets to finally meet his deceased brother again in the World of Zero but rejects a possible world where he didn't die because play the game and find out lmaooo. The scene following it was good too but this one had more impact on me. In a game about overcoming walls (physical and metaphorical), having a scene where Lloyd overcomes his biggest personal wall; it was so good.

Lord Bowser

• Super High School Level Bowser
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • "It's funny because we're all living in a simulation and free will is a lie."
    • View Profile
earthbound and mother 3 for me

earthbound was a nice and happy game for me to play and have fun with when i was super depressed and it genuinely helped with that, while mother 3's story is probably the most impactful story i've ever been through

(credit to TPG)

(credit to Mr. Edo)

winstein

• Shine Sprite
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
The recent game that hit an emotional spot in my heart is Terranigma.

This is an SNES RPG, but in my opinion, it is more impactful than Chrono Trigger even though the latter is more fun to play. Terranigma's story is basically the creation of the world, and the player character, Ark is from the Underworld. He had inadvertently unleashed the contents of the box, which necessitates that he go to the five towers to bring continents to the surface, and then go to the Overworld to bring life to the plants, then animals and then humans. This brings to mind the Genesis. And then he had to help the humans advance their civilisation.

The reason for impacting me is due to the fact that the main character is pretty much alone in his quest to do all of this, and while he certainly isn't alone (there is a fairy-like helper that lives in the box, which is his inventory), it usually felt like it because of his nature: since he is from the Underworld, he doesn't have a lot in common with the people in the overworld, yet at the same time the people in the underworld are not able to understand the huge responsibility that Ark had been tasked to do (except his lover). It is even more tragic because he is basically used by the main antagonist, as later on in the story he resurrected a key figure under the antagonist's instruction. The very nature of Ark meant that he is tied to the final boss' existence, so basically once the final boss is defeated, he will eventually fade from existence. Basically thinking about it, Ark is a hero with tragedy in his wake, so I felt for the hero of the game.

What basically helped is most certainly the music. The Underworld theme is very haunting and lonely, and when the Overworld is more flourished, it sounded more lively yet still felt solemn. Some of the in-game events also helped (though I probably don't explain since that would spoil certain points of the game). Anyway, here's the Underworld theme:

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

Moldo

• I have no idea why I made Pink Yoshi as a troll face, but hey, it's good for when you tell a bad joke.
  • King Bowser
  • Moldomré
    • View Profile
    • Planet Minecraft Profile
No tear-jerking games, but chill inducing soundtracks on several occasions: Mario Odyssey, BotW, Smash Ultimate, SMG 1 and 2, even Spider-Man PS4 (which I've only watched gameplay for).

Esna

• Deserted water spirit
  • Star Spirit
  • A51 Trooper
    • View Profile
Super Mario Galaxy 1, mostly because of Rosalina's backstory and that ending after defeating Bowser for the last time.

LeftyGreenMario

• Do not show the embarrassing CPU scores during the battle.
  • Donkey Kong
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
I only played a little of Last of Us but that scene near the beginning of the game tells me this game is going to be too much for me.

Roll and Maria Renard

• Pwwnd123
  • King Bowser
  • Pwwnd123
  • Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
    • View Profile
The ending of Super Mario Galaxy really left tears in my eyes. It makes me think of the Earth Song by Michael Jackson.

Super Mario Odyssey is the game that hit an emotional spot in my heart because of the ending. It left tears in my eyes.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 06:25:03 PM by Roll and Maria Renard »

Azusa Miura

• Wiki Administrator
  • Shine Sprite
  • Turboo
    • View Profile
pokemon gold. not because the game itself is sad or anything, I just have a lot of positive memories tied to it. there was a lot of dumb family bull*bleep* in my life even when i was a kid so i spent a lot of time playing it and using it as a way to get away from that when i didn't have anything else going on. I'm sure I've said this a lot before but I logged like 300+ hours in it somehow; additionally this song is really good and probably the most nostalgic of the entire soundtrack for me. a lot of the town themes are up there too

in terms of games that were emotionally affecting on their own and not because of associations, majora's mask and explorers of sky. i do have some positive circumstantial memories about those games as well, but it's more that the plots were pretty hard hitting the first time through. i did mess around in MM out of order since i got a copy of it with a finished file, but that didn't really make the plot beats less impactful after starting a proper new game (probably because i missed like half the cutscenes lmao) and finally getting past the eels in great bay on said file after like 1300 years
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 06:16:24 PM by Azusa Miura »

Alexander Hamilton

• Secretary of Treasury Packy
  • Core 'Shroom Staff
  • Power Star
  • Red Barchetta
  • Talk less, smile more.
    • View Profile
Re: 20 Day Video Game Challenge - Day 5: Favorite game developer or studio
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2019, 09:50:15 PM »
Wow Turb that Pokemon Gold one hit hard because that's pretty accurate for me, too. It's very weird but the moment I hear the opening to the Goldenrod City theme now, I just have this flood of nostalgia come rushing through me and I would be lying if I said it hasn't made me tear up before. SoulSilver messed me up real bad with the nostalgia getting right to me. I'm not sure if this would be my final answer for this prompt but it's extremely close.

But on a more lighthearted note, it's time for a new one! Day 5: Your favorite game developer or studio!

Wario Deluxe

• ONLY FIVE CAN LADDER
  • King Bowser
  • NanoRim
  • Wario de Mambo nya nya nya nyaaaaa
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2019, 10:09:37 PM »
Besides the big N's main crew, the following:

~ AlphaDream
~ Intelligent Systems
~ Hal Laboratory
~ Game Freak
~ Genius Sonority
~ Rare (Only back when they were still RareWare, though)
~ Retro Studios
~ Tose
~ Sonic Team
~ Treasure
~ Capcom
~ 5th Cell
~ Level-5
~ WayForward
~ GalaxyTrails
~ Nicalis

Toadettefan14

• fan of Mario, Kirby, Sonic, Pokemon, Digimon, Yo-kai Watch, and Crash Bandicoot
  • Whomp
  • It’s hard being an alien lover!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2019, 10:12:51 PM »
Nintendo, when me and my family got a Wii in late 2010, we got hooked on Nintendo, and we haven’t stopped loving it! My top 3 favourite(Kirby, Pokémon, and Mario) video game series come from Nintendo too, and they make some of the greatest games of all time! Since then, I got a 3DS on Easter 2014, a Wii U on Christmas 2015, and a Switch Christmas 2018!

Back before we got our Wii, my siblings and parents were PlayStation people and were more into Crash, Spyro, Sly Cooper, Ape Escape, and Sonic. I, however, wanted worlds with characters that weren’t trying to be cool, edgy, or mature. I also hated that they were trying to compete with Nintendo and get them off the market. Since the day we got our Wii, however, we have have tried to forget about those series, and while I still like Sonic and Crash, like with Digimon and Yo-Kai Watch, I rarely play their games because I’m a Nintendo person nowadays, though I still like the characters.

Miki Hoshii

• Sleeping Skill Level: Maxed
  • Celestial Guide
  • Crackin355
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2019, 10:51:52 PM »
I guess I'd just say Nintendo just because a lot of the games I hold the highest are made by them.

Otherwise I'd go with Falcom despite not being as much of a fan of their recent decisions with their series. The older Ys and Trails games are some of the best experiences I've had in recent years. I still love them for their older games and consistently amazing music.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 11:54:05 PM by Miki Hoshii »