Does it seem like New Super Mario Bros UDX is the most terribly designed port?

Paper Mario Sticker Star

Goomba
Banned User
It doesn't seem to add anything major aside from Toadette or Nabbit, or mapping the mid air spin to the jump button. It also forces you to use one of Toadette or Nabbit in 4 player. While the game is easy enough and 4 player is also hectic to the point where Toadette wouldn't make that much of a big difference, people don't want handicaps to be forced on them whenever or not the handicaps make the game easier or harder. Forcing handicaps is also incredibly terrible design whenever it's a co-op game or a competitive game. I don't ever recall another game aside from the original NSLU making player 4 play with a handicap, whenever or not it made the game easier or harder for that player and that was also a terrible design choice. This should've been an easy issue to fix, and not fixing it means Nintendo is incompetent at listening to fans. As for the mid air spin being the jump button, some people have an issue with this and others don't. What does Nintendo do? Make everyone who wants it disabled go through a hidden button combination instead of just having it visible in the options menu. Why should this be hidden? Is it because they want us to not know about this? The Wii U original seemed better polished compared to this.

It's not the most terribly designed port of all video games, not even close to that, if we're going by hyperbole of this topic title. I've seen plenty of other ports, especially those of console games onto PC, handle a far worse job than this game, one example being the notorious PC port of Batman: Arkham Night, where Warner Bros. themselves even knew that game was a mess on PC and pulled it from selling it on Steam.

As far as the Mario series goes, I dunno but aside from what it looks to be frankly minor issues, I wouldn't call the quality of this port particularly bad because of them. People who didn't buy the original version in the Wii U can still mostly experience how it was in the original. I'm not a particularly big fan of giving characters unique abilities due to introducing complications to play styles and level design and what not like you described but honestly, if I was Toadette, I'd just avoid the Super Crown entirely and much of her bonuses are stuff that really should have been in the game to begin with; you shouldn't need a power-up to make underwater levels actually fun to play on to begin with. Lives are also stupid and pointless, and same thing with the timer, neither should return in future Mario titles. Nabbit's invulnerability is dumb and they should have made him optional really. I keep comparing NSMB titles to Rayman but really, they really should have done like Rayman Origins or Legends and just have multiples of the character you want to use. Besides, alternate costumes are always fun to play around with.

Nintendo games additionally have this long, notorious issue of being unable to remap your action commands to whatever you button you like aside from the default "optimal" way they decide for you to play the game so this sort of problem with the spin-jump janikness isn't particularly new to New Super Mario Bros. U DX.

I really don't think an entire topic is warranted for these described issues with the game though. In the grand scheme of things, they're very minor issues, not enough to designate this game as "the most terribly designed port", not even within the Mario series I believe.

I've seen enough wonky ass ports of Donkey Kong to know that this ain't even close.

Yeah it's a lazy job of a port. Peachette is the dumbest and the most out of place idea ever when Peach herself can be playable after being rescued just like in Super Mario Run. In fact, I really feel we should have gotten a New Super Mario Bros. Switch instead with Peach and Daisy playable and not kidnapped with the Sprixie Princesses or another princess taking the role instead because at this point it is kind of boring (I've stressed this several times). I really feel so pissed off at Nintendo. I mean yeah, I am thankful Peachette is the closest thing to playable Peach with a pint of Daisy to it and is better than no Peach or Daisy at all, but still she doesn't cut it. I still want the real deal at the end and I am hoping New Super Mario Bros. Switch or Super Mario Maker 2 implements her because people are begging for Peach, Daisy, and hell even Rosalina. I never want to see Peachette ever again, she should stay in NSMBUDX and not be brought over to Super Mario Maker 2. The next 2D games can have Peach herself there along with Daisy and Rosalina.

considering how many ports rarely add anything at all, I'd say it's one of the better ports.

still not a great game mind you but if you had never played a NSMB game in your life this is the one I'd recommend.

It'd be a Mario game I'd recommend period, over all other Mario platformers, if it is the first one you ever played.

Speaking of terrible design, let's talk about what you're named after :P

Seriously tho while I don't think it's terribly designed and is a decent port in its own right, I also think it's beat out by the other Mario reissue that released simultaneously in the US. But clearly I'm not a mainstream audience, because they sure proved otherwise lol :/

I see more incentive to own NSMDX purely for the portability of the Switch than play a reissue of a game that is already playable on that system.

Baby Luigi said:
As far as the Mario series goes, I dunno but aside from what it looks to be frankly minor issues, I wouldn't call the quality of this port particularly bad because of them. People who didn't buy the original version in the Wii U can still mostly experience how it was in the original. I'm not a particularly big fan of giving characters unique abilities due to introducing complications to play styles and level design and what not like you described but honestly, if I was Toadette, I'd just avoid the Super Crown entirely and much of her bonuses are stuff that really should have been in the game to begin with; you shouldn't need a power-up to make underwater levels actually fun to play on to begin with. Lives are also stupid and pointless, and same thing with the timer, neither should return in future Mario titles. Nabbit's invulnerability is dumb and they should have made him optional really. I keep comparing NSMB titles to Rayman but really, they really should have done like Rayman Origins or Legends and just have multiples of the character you want to use. Besides, alternate costumes are always fun to play around with.

I really don't think an entire topic is warranted for these described issues with the game though. In the grand scheme of things, they're very minor issues, not enough to designate this game as "the most terribly designed port", not even within the Mario series I believe.

well these issues aren't particularly big but why have them in the first place? Or why make them apply to only one character?

It doesn't seem like there's new content to justify buying this game if you already have it on Wii U. To add further issues no matter how small they are is another slap in the face.

Why games have issues to begin with? Game devs aren't perfect, needing to pretty much craft every element of the game and making sure the Switch even properly runs the game first of all. Developers don't intentionally go out of your way to make these issues. It stems from them being unaware of problems caused by implementation of mechanics or that your perception of flaws is different than theirs in that they don't see it as a huge deal and therefore didn't fix it.

Look, I didn't buy this game since there's very little reason to double dip (and I didn't even like New Super Mario Bros. U for starters), but the game wasn't developed for you. Like the other Wii U to Switch ports, it's for the large audience of Switch owners who never owned a Wii U. None of the new content means much for them when they never played it to begin with.

Baby Luigi said:
Why games have issues to begin with? Game devs aren't perfect, needing to pretty much craft every element of the game and making sure the Switch even properly runs the game first of all. Developers don't intentionally go out of your way to make these issues. It stems from them being unaware of problems caused by implementation of mechanics or that your perception of flaws is different than theirs in that they don't see it as a huge deal and therefore didn't fix it.

Look, I didn't buy this game since there's very little reason to double dip (and I didn't even like New Super Mario Bros. U for starters), but the game wasn't developed for you. Like the other Wii U to Switch ports, it's for the large audience of Switch owners who never owned a Wii U. None of the new content means much for them when they never played it to begin with.
I don't have a Wii U either but I can't justify buying this game on switch when they force one player to have a handicap in 4 player
I don't particulary plan to do 4 players that much anyways, but it's silly for there to be a handicap

Not poorly designed, but inferior to the Wii U version in every way. No one needs yet another stupid Easy Mode at the price of balanced multiplayer, Boost Mode, and a fifth of the challenges. The only thing this port has going for it is portability. Still, my brother's asking for this for his birthday on Friday and he's probably gonna get it, so if I end up getting the game, that's the reason.

Back