What's the Consensus on the first six SM games?

Moldomré

Moldomré. Emphasis on the "ome" despite the "é".
MarioWiki
Moldomre
By that I mean, Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2 / USA, Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels / 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario Land, and Super Mario World.
Just wondering what the world (or at least the Mario Boards users) thinks of each game.

Re: What's the General Consensus on the first 5 SM games?

Not sure what the general consensus is on the games, but here's my opinion that doesn't seem all that unpopular to my knowledge.

SMB1: Pretty good, but a bit dated and surpassed

SMB2J: Super ultra difficult

SMB2U: Mediocre gameplay, but interesting character abilities

SMB3: Great game that mostly holds up today

SMW: Even better game that holds up even better today

World and Bros. 3 are the only good ones.

smb1: eh
lost levels: never played it lmao
smb2: was my first mario game of all things. hello can it get aknowledged more often thanks
smb3: Its good
smw: i love the sprites and just the entire aesthetic ohhhhh
whoops i dont have too much to say on em

epic edit: i love mario land and mario land 2 music. and how it has so many unique and weird enemies.

I've only barely played SMB1, plus, I was one of those guys who would always die to the first Goomba, so, can't say anything.

Haven't played any of them in eons if at all, SMW is the only one I have significant nostalgic attachment to

however SMB1 is the most common theme I make SMM levels in so there's that

don't believe I've played either version of SMB2. I'd be interested to play the USA one at some point, the JP one not so much unless I was feeling particularly masochistic.

also wouldn't Super Mario Land fall within the first 5? It would bump off SMW (which again is my most nostalgic) but if I were to give an opinion on that one, I remember being upset that I lost all progress if I got a game over. Never beat because I was bad at games back then and relied heavily on saving and/or passwords where available. Ironically it's not like this issue wasn't also present in the NES games, but I didn't play those till later anyway. I recall a similar experience with Kirby's Dream Land, I'd get to that endgame boss rush and always game over.

Fawfulthegreat64 said:
also wouldn't Super Mario Land fall within the first 5?

Oops, I always forget the SML games exist, since I've never played them. I guess I'll change it to first SIX Super Mario games.

Re: What's the General Consensus on the first six SM games?

I replay them all quite regularly.

they're a hell of alot more interesting than the new 2d ones

Super Mario Bros. - Simple, but fun. It laid the groundwork for what's to come and often regarded as a classic.
The Lost Levels - The official Kaizo Mario. Abandon all hope ye who should enter here.
Super Mario Bros. 2 - The oddball of the original trio, but very unique and fun.
Super Mario Bros. 3 - The head honcho and heavy-hitter of the original trio, a blast to play and revisit over and over again.
Super Mario World - Simply timeless, one of Mario's greatest adventures and an absolute blast to play. Gave us da Yosh too. :yoshi:
Super Mario Land - One of my first Mario games and another oddball. Sarasaland is very unique kingdom that we sadly never get to revisit. Bring back Mario's Skypop and Tatanga please.
Super Mario Land 2 - One of my favorite games on the original Game Boy. :mario::wario:

Super Mario Bros.: Controls very well in an era with lame platformers like Ice Climbers and Mario Bros. It's not that great today, a lot of newer games improve on the platforming (being able to bounce off enemies with the jump button, world maps, screen being able to scroll back, wall jumping, Mario not shrinking to small when hit as Fire Mario) and enemy item and level variety, and there's even Super Mario Bros. DX for Game Boy that improves on it.

Super Mario Bros. 2: Stands out from the rest, my favorite of the first three. I don't know what to say, there hasn't been games that improved on its gameplay since there are practically no successors to it, and it's worth a shot, especially if you want to play the notorious Advance version with all the hilarious yelling.

Lost Levels: Good one. Not the game though.

Super Mario Bros. 3.: Actually fun and far better than Super Mario Bros., feels closest to a New Super Mario Bros. game, but IMO, it's still feeling lacking. The levels feel way too short on average, no wall jumping, mashing button to fly is very lame, forcing players levels back after being defeated is extremely annoying, "Luigi" still has no point in this one. Despite it being the best of the Mario games on NES, it still doesn't hold up compared to New Super Mario Bros..

Super Mario World: Probably the best of the classics and still worth playing today because its concepts haven't been done to death, such as cohesive world, crisp and bright sprites (wellll Mario is ugly as sin), Yoshi is fun to use. The easiest of the classics by far though, and it's easily busted with the Cape and Blue Yoshi, and powerups are really generous in the game. Also introduced Star Coins and alternate exits, which gives players incentive to not just rush through the level (looking at you, Super Mario Bros. 3), giving the game a bit of replay value.

I generally prefer the New Super Mario Bros. games over these.

pedantic words tip: "general" isn't necessary, redundant with "consensus"

Super Mario Bros.: A revolutionary platformer I sadly have no intention of playing through today due to it being totally outclassed due to its age.

Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels: It's a kaizo romhack of the first game. Next.

Super Mario Bros. 2: My favorite of the classic platformers, easily. I love picking up and throwing vegetables and crap onto bad guys and best of all, I can play as Toad. I like how all characters have different playstyles, and I just like how unorthodox and unique this game is compared to the rest of the Mario platformers. It's a bit of a fresh air to me playing this one as compared to playing, say, Super Mario Bros. 3 in which I have no interest in playing through. Speaking of which.

Super Mario Bros. 3: I totally get why people like this game, but after having playing New Super Mario Bros. DS, Wii, and U, there's virtually little reason to go back to this one, since many of its level ideas and concepts would be reused in later Mario titles. It has aged fairly poorly too due to that, so I find it difficult to recommend to people new to Mario, since I'd just say, just play the New Super Mario Bros. titles as they play quite similarly to 3 and reuses many ideas 3 had.

Super Mario World: A very solid entry with a world map unbeaten by any other Mario platformer. Finding secrets and its cohesive world design is the best part about Super Mario World and it's my second favorite one after Super Mario Bros. 2. I don't use the cape nor Blue Yoshi to fly through levels because there's simply no fun in that. The only thing I don't really like about the game is its lackluster soundtrack.

Back