Poll Committee
Pronouns
He/him
MarioWiki
Hooded Pitohui
Introducing: Wiki Quest: The Search for Porple

t6YFIuN.png

What is this?

As part of the special thanks for Meta Knight and Superchao which appeared in issue 143 of The ‘Shroom, I made mock-ups of menu screen descriptions from Minion Quest:The Search for Bowser and Bowser Jr.’s Journey. As part of that work, I prepared a template to which I can add any sprite and a few short descriptions in order to make additional menu descriptions. It seemed like such a waste to not use that template now that I have it, so I thought I’d put a little project together and invite any users who want one of their own to sign-up. There’s a tradition of great artists and talented folks doing little things with people in this community, so, though it’s not much, I’d like to go for it, too.

Currently, I’m not planning to do anything with these beyond put together the descriptions, but there’s a chance of using this in some kind of story or Awards Presentation down the road. That said, that’s not what this is at this stage and you’ll only be signing up to get a menu description for now. If I do anything more with it, I’ll be sure to come back and ask if you’d like to be included.

What Should I do?

IiQWTS8.png

Well, to begin, look at the example I put together above, and check out the two examples in The ‘Shroom. This should give you a basic idea of what you’ll be getting if you sign up. Anyhow, all you have to do is post to say you want to sign-up for this and give me a few things I’ll need to put your description together. Anything in bold is required. Anything not in bold, then, you can choose to provide for yourself or you can leave it for me to make up for you. So, what I need is:

An Image to Represent You: You need some sort of visual representation of yourself, which for most of you is going to be your community OC. It should fit within what GIMP tells me is about 170x130 pixels, but I understand that those measurements might depend on resolution or the monitor or what have you, so just use the example images as a reference. If you’re okay with me scaling down whatever you give me, I’m fine with that and I can probably scale the background up to some extent. 3DS Mario & Luigi style sprites are going to blend in best with the background, but I don’t care what you use if you don’t care! Give me whatever you think works.

Name: Tell me exactly what you’d like to be called along the top bar of the menu descriptions.

Type of Trooper: Are you Melee, Flying, or Ranged? This isn’t particularly important now, but it might be useful later.

Special Attack: What’s the name of your special attack? Alliteration is recommended if possible!

Status: Are you a Captain, First Officer, or just a normal Trooper? If you’re one of the former two, you get a flag to wear.

Description: This is the important part. How do you want to be described? This should be a brief, two to three sentence description. Things to consider mentioning are your stats (HP, POW, DEF, SPD, EVASION, SPIRIT), strengths and weaknesses to certain species or attacks, Captain Commands and First Officer Commands, or just short flavour text.

And that’s it! Anyone is free to sign-up, Perch and MK included of course. If you have more than one representation to work with or two seperate characters (Hi, Siph!), I’ll give everyone up to two descriptions if they want them.

How Long is the Wait?

So, these don’t take too long to make now that I have the template in place, but I still have to take time to do these. Unfortunately, I can’t make this a high-priority project, so it’s going to have to be a “when I can get to it” thing and I’m not going to promise any turnaround time. That said, I’m going to try to make it so waiting times aren’t unreasonable. Just please be patient and I’ll get to you!

Of course, if you really don’t want to wait for me, you can make one for yourself. I’m just here to offer to do the work if you don’t want to. So, if you’d rather cut out the middleman, I’ll put the blank template for you below to download and use. For the font, I recommend Arial, around 12 pt. Most text should be ffffff, strengths are in e30a0a, and weaknesses are in 4a8e7f.

5VK3HU7.png

Ooh nice idea. I did mine:
QEHuyV2.png

Name: Fawfulthegreat64

Type: Ranged (depending on how fleshed out this can be, might be changeable between the 3 but primarily ranged)

Special Attack: Chortles of Chaos

Description: This peculiar bean showed up one day to complain about Sticker Star. With decently high POW but low DEF, he stores weapons in his hat and is notably aggressive against Toads.

bXOwJvI.png

I haven't played any M&L games past the original Bowser's Inside Story :bowser:

GZM05ol.png

Name: Alex95

Type: Melee

Special Attack: Plasma Sword (Ranged)

Description: Nintendo nerd with a sword. Tends to just lurk around. His armor gives decent DEF, but does not provide much in terms of SPD.

hIVgz6d.png

EDIT: Added status

U0hCB9t.png

Type: Ranged

I should make a new non-Shroom exclusive OC.

Will sign up when I do.

I want mine done for me.

Name: Yoshi the SSM

Image:
MLPJ_Red_Yoshi.png
, but with a construction hat.

As for Special Attack: my idea is Spitfire Fury due to being a Red Yoshi and Red Yoshis are able to spit fire in Super Mario World and Super Mario Maker 2. Though, I wouldn't mind a something different. And, I do want to be just a normal trooper, which I believe only has one.

mtOETiM.png

Here you go! Thought about going with "Red Shell Roaster" for the special attack since you mentioned you wouldn't mind something else, but I ended up figuring "Spitfire Fury" was better for conveying what the attack did. I appreciate the reference to SMW's colored shell mechanic - there's something they ought to bring back in some form.

Hooded Pitohui said:
mtOETiM.png

Here you go! Thought about going with "Red Shell Roaster" for the special attack since you mentioned you wouldn't mind something else, but I ended up figuring "Spitfire Fury" was better for conveying what the attack did. I appreciate the reference to SMW's colored shell mechanic - there's something they ought to bring back in some form.

Looks good. The only criticism I have is that the construction hat looks like a mine hat. But, I don't mind it.

qAbXoJ2.png

Type: Melee

Special Attack: Furry Fatality (It's got a really small chance of actualy doing anything, but if it does, it is VERY effective.)

I'll be using this OC outside of the 'Shroom.

He's a cute innocent lad, look at him.

I assumed SPIRIT was the stat that let you hit stuff, since there's an EVASION stat so if I'm wrong correct me.

Back