Author Topic: Super Mario Maker 2  (Read 7474 times)

Ray Trace

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
  • 🇷🇺 Малыш Луиджи 🇷🇺 – сырная бл🧀🧀🧀 Тарелка!
    • View Profile
Re: Super Mario Maker 2
« Reply #240 on: May 15, 2019, 08:15:08 PM »
playable toadette is freaking weed man
RIP B. "Walkazo" Dalziel. December 16, 1991 to March 27, 2016.

Candy Heart

• Let's shout hooray now!
  • King Bowser
  • Pink Cat
  • All animals are friends
    • View Profile
    • Where the wind blows
« Reply #241 on: May 15, 2019, 08:17:16 PM »
playable toadette is freaking weed man
Smoke coins everyday
All right, here's my last few bits
The Mii thing seems to be the remains of Miitomo
I imagine if Mystery Mushrooms aren't in, it was sacrifice for multiplayer or no 100 Mario courses
Toadette is so buff in SMB1
Come back soon and when you do, I have some new surprises in my hat for you

Striker Luigi

• Just look at those 9 year olds lineup at the fan base door
  • King Bowser
  • Long John Spaghetti
  • “So, I can trust you to keep a secret?”
    • View Profile
    • My Theme Song
« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2019, 08:20:52 PM »
Don’t anger Toadettefan14
~ Long John Spaghetti was here!

Ray Trace

• Yeah, hahaha, a little bit more hand sanitizer and we wouldn't be in this mess.
  • Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 15, 2019, 08:36:27 PM »
nah don't worry it's used in the similar fashion as "dope"

Moldomré: The Crossover Episode

• I definitely know how to draw Koops!...it's just that I've never gotten around to it...right?
  • King Bowser
  • Moldomré
  • The local Pink Yoshi Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Planet Minecraft Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 15, 2019, 09:15:15 PM »
Some photos from the Nintendo America Twitter:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Twitter | Ask Thread | Luigi64DD, LeftyGreenMario, and BabyLuigiOnFire | Moldomré and Toadgamer in the avatar

winstein

• Power Star
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 15, 2019, 10:08:24 PM »
You know, based on how LeftyGreenMario and BabyLuigiOnFire have their grievances with this game's existence (and its predecessor), in which it's a game revolving around a robust level editor when a fan-made version is available for free (LunarMagic is an example), I wonder if this is a common sentiment among people who have a history of modding or designing levels like those who regularly use LunarMagic.

I can understand why people who edit Mario levels would dislike Super Mario Maker's existence, since they already got what they wanted without needing Nintendo's output, and even then when Nintendo adds something in their game, the fans would update their program to basically one-up whatever official additions there are. I know that I am putting a lot of expectations on fan-made level editors, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is what they would do.

---

Now regarding this game, 3D World looks like it has its own set of tools that isn't available, like Clear Pipes and crates, and I think like the car the best. It's interesting that the slot is empty next to Super Mario 3D World, like as if there will be a new game mode. I like to think that 3D World getting a different type of toolset makes the Super Mario Bros. 2 set a lot more realistic even though it deviate even more from 3D World.

(Correct me if I am wrong here) I think it's quite disappointing that Course World is only accessible through Nintendo Switch Online, which is in my opinion a step down from not only Super Mario Maker 1, but also Super Mario Odyssey (which has a sharing feature in Luigi's Balloon World, but doesn't require NSO). The features are pretty good though, namely the fact that you can actually play co-op with other people online this time, and the Mario Maker random levels are endless this time. It's also a nice touch to add a single-player campaign which is a very good addition in the 3DS version of Super Mario Maker despite it being a much more limited game compared to the Wii U version otherwise.

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

Swiftie_Luma

• King of your Heart.
  • King Bowser
  • I've got new rules, I count 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 15, 2019, 10:11:14 PM »
we still have garbage characters to play as

what a surprise, thank god my expectations were low.

MnSG

• Shine Sprite
  • Cosmic Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 15, 2019, 10:19:14 PM »
we still have garbage characters to play as

what a surprise, thank god my expectations were low.

To be fair, all characters have to be treated equally in the attribute department, or else there could end up being unfair advantages in a competitive multiplayer course.

Fawfulthegreat64

• Top-Hatted Bean
  • Star Spirit
  • I make YouTube videos sometimes
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #248 on: May 15, 2019, 10:21:25 PM »

Also in regards to romhacking vs. Super Mario Maker, it's possible to enjoy both, a lot of the SMM YouTubers also play romhacks, like Ryukahr. Personally I'm content with SMM, it's made with the average player's ease of use in mind and is robust enough to provide me with a great experience. Plus the playerbase is massive being an A-list retail Nintendo game so lots of potential players for my creations. Part of why I don't like limiting it to Switch Online (the playerbase is now reduced) but a minor complaint. I enjoy watching romhack gameplay on YouTube sometimes though.

Princess Mario

• Mushroom Kingdom's Most 🦄Fabulous🦄 Wario Killer
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #249 on: May 15, 2019, 10:22:23 PM »
You know, based on how LeftyGreenMario and BabyLuigiOnFire have their grievances with this game's existence (and its predecessor), in which it's a game revolving around a robust level editor when a fan-made version is available for free (LunarMagic is an example), I wonder if this is a common sentiment among people who have a history of modding or designing levels like those who regularly use LunarMagic.

I can understand why people who edit Mario levels would dislike Super Mario Maker's existence, since they already got what they wanted without needing Nintendo's output, and even then when Nintendo adds something in their game, the fans would update their program to basically one-up whatever official additions there are. I know that I am putting a lot of expectations on fan-made level editors, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is what they would do.

Thank you for reading.
I'm not sure if "grievance" is the accurate way to describe it. I think there might be some grievance in that people don't realize that way more advanced level editors exist. There may possibly some purists that don't like anything that Nintendo pulls out, which purists probably do exist as I know people who hate mods only because they're unsanctioned and somehow subtract from imagined "Nintendo" quality. I know that most people who've modded their games and played with more advanced level editors do look down a little on Super Mario Maker and don't take it seriously. They do tend to praise the ease of UI, but they note the complete lack of flexibility, and they do agree that once you get really good with advanced level tools, you'll find Super Mario Maker more restrictive. The lack of slopes, world editors, course elements, tile control, advanced events, control over enemy spawns (like Dry Bones turning into Fish Bones) and imposed arbitrary limits like no way to lock the timer or have a block limit in favor of gimmicks like winged and huge everything are a common point of contention by those people, but it also contributes to the scoffs done by modders. On top of it, we know that Nintendo has documented hostility among their fans that do mods and level tools, which Nintendo has a threatening presence of shutting down tools and level demonstration created by the tools (especially during Pangeapanga videos getting removed while Super Mario Maker was nearing release), which not only feeds to the perception that Nintendo is a legal thug, but also contributes to the hostility or sneering toward Super Mario Maker.

Ray Trace

• Mushroom Attendant
  • Baby Luigi
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 15, 2019, 10:34:55 PM »

I can definitely confirm that during my brief period of time at rvlution.net, much of the devs involved with the development of Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii and Reggie certainly sneer at Super Mario Maker frequently and enjoy taking pot shots at it. One of them even called it "Wuper Wario Wanker" (which LGM and I adopted it as a nickname). While concerns about competition were there as well as ease of us, the devs often cited so much interesting and complex things you couldn't do with Wario Wanker, such as the trigger events.

I don't necessarily "hate" Wuper Wario Waker's existence, nor modders necessarily do, it's just that it's fun to make fun of it, maybe with a lot of elitist undertones, admittedly. You know what modders would actually do with Wuper Wario Wanker instead? Mod the living *bleep* out of that title too. That's inevitably going to happen to Wuper Wario Wanker 2 and I actually can't wait to see it happen, to see what is possible and to push further the limits of the game.

Princess Mario

• Mushroom Kingdom's Most 🦄Fabulous🦄 Wario Killer
  • Donkey Kong
  • LeftyGreenMario
  • R.I.P. Walkazo December 16, 1991 - March 27, 2016
    • View Profile
    • RationalWiki
« Reply #251 on: May 15, 2019, 10:51:06 PM »
Since there are mods for Super Mario Maker like playable Luigi, theme mods, mods that change complete tilesets to things like Kirby's Adventure, Super Mario Land, Green Hill Zone I am definitely more interested in how the modding scene developers for this game. But you know, you won't be able to share Super Mario Maker 2 mods because Nintendo thinks you're a criminal and will ban you from online services, so tougher *bleep* when Nintendo decides to tie level sharing with being online in the first place.

winstein

• Power Star
  • Justice is not limited, it is a universal quality
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 15, 2019, 11:07:09 PM »
Ah, I see: so it's a mixture of dissatisfaction in regards to Nintendo's protective stance on their IP, and pride in which fans compared favourably towards themselves on what they already achieved to what has been made in the game.

Thank you for reading.
(Credit goes to Alex95 for this signature)

YoshiFlutterJump

• The Flying Yoshi
  • Shine Sprite
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 15, 2019, 11:19:03 PM »
Also, one question: which guy at Nintendo thought it was a good idea to bring back that evil, EVIL, you-will-never-live-to-see-another-day-if-you-play-it 100 Mario?

YoshiGo99

• Shine Sprite
  • Hey, Hello, Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 15, 2019, 11:26:15 PM »
Can we discuss how weird the Angry Sun looks in the NSMBU style?

Revenant Archagent

• Back in Action
  • King Bowser
  • ArchagentEverlasting
  • Your favorite travel guide guy
    • View Profile
    • Travel Guide with Archagent
« Reply #255 on: May 16, 2019, 12:19:45 AM »
I hype for everything in this game, I honestly don't know if I can ever go back to the original SMM after this.

Marie

• The best squid girl
  • Dry Bowser
  • Luigi 64DD
  • If you find any good Marie fanart, send it here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 16, 2019, 12:31:11 AM »
It's lookin' pretty good so far, though it's a bummer that we may be unable to use the other characters outside of online multiplayer and that there doesn't seem to be single-Switch local multiplayer. I like how far they've gone in recreating SM3DW in 2D form with all the different enemies and objects, and I certainly don't blame them for restricting those elements to that game style. It makes me wonder whether we could be getting an SMB2 style, though that would also involve changing actual gameplay mechanics.

Credit to several artists for my avatars, see this post. Also click the above image for nice music!
Userpage | Ask | Art

Koops

• Big dumbass furry who is actually a realist and knows that whatever crush he gets it's never gonna be the one.
  • Shine Sprite
  • Yo
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 16, 2019, 01:34:02 AM »
So...

What if too much stuff is behind online...

The real question is will the offline stuff be worth it enough for me to actually buy this thing?

But other than that the game looks neat.

Moldomré: The Crossover Episode

• I definitely know how to draw Koops!...it's just that I've never gotten around to it...right?
  • King Bowser
  • Moldomré
  • The local Pink Yoshi Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
    • Planet Minecraft Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 16, 2019, 08:08:57 AM »
So...

What if too much stuff is behind online...

The real question is will the offline stuff be worth it enough for me to actually buy this thing?

But other than that the game looks neat.

I somehow had fun with the OG Mario Maker even though our Wii U basically never connected to the Internet. Since this one has an offline "Story" mode AND more stuff for the editor...yeah, it'll be great fun offline.

Twitter | Ask Thread | Luigi64DD, LeftyGreenMario, and BabyLuigiOnFire | Moldomré and Toadgamer in the avatar

Striker Luigi

• Just look at those 9 year olds lineup at the fan base door
  • King Bowser
  • Long John Spaghetti
  • “So, I can trust you to keep a secret?”
    • View Profile
    • My Theme Song
« Reply #259 on: May 16, 2019, 08:09:49 AM »
WEEGEE IS HERE LETS GOOOOOOO
~ Long John Spaghetti was here!