Is the 2DS a viable replacement to the 3DS XL?

YoshiFlutterJump

Power Star
MarioWiki
YoshiFlutterJump
My 3DS has been broken for quite some time now, and ever since then I've been interested in getting a 2DS due to its cheap price (official refurbished for $60 USD) and the extra durability (the right hinge became the downfall of my old XL model, but that's missing here) But I've heard it's a serious downgrade to other 3DS models, and is even outright uncomfortable. I would kinda miss 3D since that was a pretty neat part of the system, and I've also heard that the screens are smaller and the sound quality is inferior. I can live with smaller screens and lower sound quality (I have earbuds anyway). And while 3D is definitely something I'd miss (especially when playing games like 3D Land), I suppose I can live without it if necessary.

So should I grab a standard 2DS for $60 but lose 3D and big screens, or pay extra for one of the "new" models with the possibility of my right hinge crumpling again?

i didnt notice any real drop in quality when i went from a 3ds to a 2ds and afaik the screens are exactly the same size

also whoever said the 2ds was uncomfortable is insane, it actually fit pretty nicely in my hands

aside from the lack of 3d, the hardware is p much exactly the same between 2ds and 3ds (and in my experience the 2ds actually has better battery). if you want an actual hardware upgrade then get the new 2ds but sadly those are clamshell

Lord Bowser said:
i didnt notice any real drop in quality when i went from a 3ds to a 2ds and afaik the screens are exactly the same size

also whoever said the 2ds was uncomfortable is insane, it actually fit pretty nicely in my hands

aside from the lack of 3d, the hardware is p much exactly the same between 2ds and 3ds (and in my experience the 2ds actually has better battery). if you want an actual hardware upgrade then get the new 2ds but sadly those are clamshell
I say smaller screens because I had an XL, so downgrading to 2DS would mean smaller screens, even if the size was identical to that of a launch edition.

Good to know that the 2DS won't cause discomfort. That worried me a bit when I read that but I think it'll fit fine in my hands.

Like I said, I had an XL so the hardware differences are more significant than they would be if I had a standard 3DS. I would like one of the "new" models but due to budget reasons I kinda can't until later on. Plus, they're clamshell so I'm not sure how durable they'd be (my old 3DS could survive water but couldn't survive a body ball so idk).

as a person who's owned/owns both, I think the 3d xl is definitely better, but i dont really think its worth paying like 60+ extra bucks that could just be spent on a game instead as the improvements are rather minor. only thing about the 2ds that ever really irritated me was the monospeaker but that could be overcome with headphones which sounds better anyways so that wasnt a very big issue. honestly the only reason i'd really reccomend going with the 3ds xl instead is if you're dying to play Xenoblade fsr or just really enjoyed the added dimsension/atmosphere the 3d effects have

Go for the 2DS. It's the only one I've ever owned, yes, but the extra durability sold it for me. I wouldn't say that it's uncomfortable - in fact, the clamshell design is much worse imo.

I've played on both kinds of systems and I never noticed a difference in sound.

If you are planning to get a New-exclusive game like Xenoblade Chronicles 3D or the SNES VC games (Check this for more info: https://www.reddit.com/r/3DS/comments/7hxpec/is_there_a_list_of_new_3ds_exclusive_games/), then you couldn't go wrong with the New 2DS XL. If they are not in your agenda, then I think a 2DS would be fine due to its lowest price, even though I have never held an original 2DS before to provide judgement in usability.

Thank you for reading.

Back