Do you think we'll get a New Super Mario Bros. Switch after NSMBU Deluxe?

Do you think it will likely happen?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No.

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
With New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe now out and selling better than the Wii U original, I think Nintendo is making back the money they lost from the Wii U and its games. I believe Nintendo puts the money they make back from the ports to build new titles. With that I wonder if Nintendo will ever make a New Super Mario Bros. Switch especially after making New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe. I think the chances are pretty high. People want new games like a new 2D Mario game, a new Mario Kart game, and a new Donkey Kong Country game. The ports have sold better than their Wii U originals.

Me personally, if they make a New Super Mario Bros. Switch, all I hope for is that they make the game using the Unity engine which will make things easier in reusing assets from Super Mario Run (which runs on Unity) which will allow Peach and Daisy to be playable very easily from the get go without a ton of hassle (StupidMarioBros1Fan had difficulties with his mod for NSMBWii due to the fact that all of the characters share the same animations, with the main problem is that Peach and Daisy don't share the same build as Mario which makes things difficult and their dresses don't flex well). Using Unity instead of working off the old NSMBW/U engine would be less time consuming and save a lot of time and hassle in trying to port everything from Super Mario Run in Unity to the NSMBW/U engine. They can use all the same models and formats very easily in Unity without conversions. On top of that it would be pretty quick to work with than going off the old engine which not Peach/Daisy friendly.

In addition, here are my updated expectations for what I want in New Super Mario Bros. Switch after New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfgOxPqebco
[/youtube]

Simply put, no. Nintendo's probably going to use this as an excuse not to put a new 2D Mario game on Switch. Chances are the next 2D Mario will be on the next Nintendo system. I hold the same belief for Mario Kart and Donkey Kong.

Chances are, no. I feel that Nintendo should've made a new 2D Mario platformer, instead of porting New Super Mario Bros. U onto the Nintendo Switch. For the people who have (or had) a Wii U, it's just not worth getting a deluxe port that really doesn't offer anything new, except for a power-up that only one character can use.

Odds are no. Barring a few exceptions Mario platformers are usually one type per system.

MnSG said:
I feel that Nintendo should've made a new 2D Mario platformer, instead of porting New Super Mario Bros. U onto the Nintendo Switch. For the people who have (or had) a Wii U, it's just not worth getting a deluxe port that really doesn't offer anything new, except for a power-up that only one character can use.
Same here. I am very disappointed with Nintendo for making this port. I mean, I wanted a New Super Mario Bros. Switch, not New Super Mario Bros. U ported to Switch as a Deluxe version. I mean, I had great ideas for New Super Mario Bros. Switch that I have said several times on the internet (GameFaqs and this forum) and in my videos such as Peach and Daisy being playable since Super Mario Run has them, customizable outfits for Peach, ditching the timer and lives, and powerup crashes that take inspirations from the item crashes in Castlevania games from Rondo of Blood onward. I don't want my ideas to go to waste.

Hopefully not. Nsmb was stale after two games and it's really a shame that 2d Mario has become such a mediocre experience compared to other platformers of today. I really do hope ninty or whoever makes an actually refreshing new 2d Mario. Not holding my breath for it though, esp on the switch

If they were to make a new 2D Mario, then DON'T USE NEW IN ITS NAME. If they did, then it would be obvious that it wouldn't be new, just another rehash of a years-old series.

Anyway, I put maybe because they said the Switch would have a long lifespan. I think.

They'll probably just port Wuper Wario Waker and then we're done for 2D platformers because it's supposed to make up for entirely new 2D games. I guess.

Mario Party X said:
They'll probably just port Wuper Wario Waker and then we're done for 2D platformers because it's supposed to make up for entirely new 2D games. I guess.

A Super Mario Maker sequel doesn't seem too likely for the Nintendo Switch, unless you can set up the Course Maker to not be dependent on a touch screen.

MnSG said:
Mario Party X said:

A Super Mario Maker sequel doesn't seem too likely for the Nintendo Switch, unless you can set up the Course Maker to not be dependent on a touch screen.
It can utilize JoyCon motion sensing during course maker in docked mode. That's a good solution.

Nope. If we get another 2D Mario on the Switch, they'll (hopefully) have to do it in a different style.

Although as other suggested, I wouldn't be too surprised if we did get a Super Mario Maker port/sequel in the near future.

I sure hope not. While I'm all for more 2D Mario because that's how the series started, I feel like keeping the "New" motif may be limiting themselves. They didn't have this problem with SMB1, 2, and 3 (though everything was new back then anyway), but stepping away from the "New Super Mario Bros." series would probably allow more ideas to flourish.

That, or make whatever the next "New Super Mario Bros." game is actually new and not just building off of reused ideas.

I mean...

I'd get ANY good game so long as t's good.

If it's good, then good. If it's super unique and stands out among all other 2D Marios but turns out to be bad, then not good.

NSMBU Deluxe can't be the only 2D Mario game on Switch. People want an original 2D Mario game.

I hope so. I know people were getting sick of the NSMB series, but come on, it's now been over 6 years since the last one proper.

Since NSMBU Deluxe is just a port, I would say there's a possibility for one on the Switch.

Kokoro said:
I hope so. I know people were getting sick of the NSMB series, but come on, it's now been over 6 years since the last one proper.
another 20 wouldnt help the situation

Shygul said:
Kokoro said:
another 20 wouldnt help the situation

Well, the main problem people seemed to have with the games were that they were all too closely released to each other. It wasn't until the announcement of NSMB2 and NMSBU being released in the same year that the series got the reputation for being "lazy".

Yeah, people are indeed tired of New Super Mario Bros. saturating the Mario platformers. New Super Mario Bros. did need a break, but 6 years of no new games probably won't suddenly make people more endeared to the series if the next game isn't fresh. Maybe they should just retire the New Super Mario Bros. brand and go with a reboot of 2D Mario platformers as we got with Super Mario Party after Mario Party 10.

Mario Party X said:
Yeah, people are indeed tired of New Super Mario Bros. saturating the Mario platformers. New Super Mario Bros. did need a break, but 6 years of no new games probably won't suddenly make people more endeared to the series if the next game isn't fresh. Maybe they should just retire the New Super Mario Bros. brand and go with a reboot of 2D Mario platformers as we got with Super Mario Party after Mario Party 10.

They could, but I don't know what difference it'll make. The 2D Mario formula has pretty much been perfected at the point. I think that's the main reason the games have that "samey" feeling. Kind of like the Kirby games we get now.

Kokoro said:
Mario Party X said:

They could, but I don't know what difference it'll make. The 2D Mario formula has pretty much been perfected at the point. I think that's the main reason the games have that "samey" feeling. Kind of like the Kirby games we get now.
Well they could make Peach playable and not kidnapped. That would be a great change. They can also add Daisy and Rosalina too. I mean Peach and Daisy were already playable in Super Mario Run after being rescued and that was a great achievement. Seriously, Nintendo were making bullshit excuses when they said that they couldn't animate her dress and whatnot in trying to make them playable in NSMBWii. I did enjoy Super Mario Run for a bit. I am honestly sick and tired of the same old Peach being kidnapped plot. I mean we need a change for a bit. 3D World took a break from the Peach being kidnapped plot and had her playable and it was a nice breath of fresh air. We can also have new gameplay elements and we can modernize it by ditching lives and the timer. That'll be good.

As the AVGN said, "You never rush out anything just to meet consumer demand otherwise you'd end up putting out shit. Some franchises get done to death, you can't keep beating the same thing into the ground." and "You can't do the same thing all the time or else it gets old, but every now and then, it's good to bring it back".

Peach being playable does not a fresh game make.

Kokoro said:
They could experiment with the art style for starters. Sometimes, having a complete fresh coat of paint will make people more interested in the games. I'd like to see the 2D vector style being used for a new series of 2D Mario platformers. Maybe they can change up the gameplay, perhaps make it like Super Mario Bros. 2 again, or at least borrow elements. Maybe it can be like Super Mario Bros. X where worlds clash and you find a multitude of powerups from previous games. I think new ideas are still possible for the 2D Mario platformers.

Or they can remake the Super Mario Land games. :)

Mario Party X said:
Well for Super Mario Run, it kinda did since it was Peach's first playable appearance in a 2D Super Mario title since Super Mario Bros. 2 USA so long ago. I mean they originally intended her to be playable in NSMBWii but they backed off because of laziness. They couldn't bother to do it in NSMBU but they implemented Peachette in NSMBU Deluxe which the closest thing to it. I mean Peach, Daisy, and Rosalina have more variety than the two duplicate Toads because they have unique abilities that are cool and can be handy and make platforming sometimes a complete non issue. Fans have been begging and wanting a playable Peach in NSMB for years. Super Mario Run made it happen but it was a stripped down NSMB for iOS/Android devices and didn't do much justice. It does make a bit of a difference, even if it isn't that big.

The new ideas that I have suggested for NSMB Switch can make the game better and can make things fresh. Here's ways that that NSMB Switch can become fresh:

They can implement new powerups, they can add the Power-up crashes which are inspired by the subweapon item crashes in Castlevania games from Rondo of Blood onwards in which you can go super saiyen for a bit and go crazy with your powerup. They can be used in the current form of the character, except for Small, such as (Fire, Ice, Super, etc) and they can use coins to activate, albeit huge amount of them. Character customization would also be good too with characters like Peach, Daisy and Rosalina. I mean, I wanted Peach to have customizable outfits similar to Roll in Mega Man Powered Up and also have customizable hairstyles so that I can make Peach look how I want her to look and at anytime along with being able to keep her that way.

Who cares what Mario character you control? You use a lot of words, but you're repeating yourself. What defines a game being "great" lies in the gameplay and level design. Peach not being playable isn't a dealbreaker for most people, it's that the level design is too "standard" (doing nothing with common world themes), unengaging, predictable (yes, the later games did reuse a lot from the previous ones like bonecoasters, dancing mushrooms, rafts on poison water, ghost houses with multiple confusing paths, and so on), unrewarding (a lot of "secrets" amount to lame 1-ups or just a bunch of coins rather than useful powerups, Star Coins, or alternate exits).

Additional powerups are fine, but this is exactly what New Super Mario Bros. 2 and New Super Mario Bros. U did. New Super Mario Bros. 2 *tried* implementing the "get rich" gimmick, they even had the raccoon leaf back, but that's clearly not enough. New Super Mario Bros. U had the whole Baby Yoshi and the much-touted Super Acorn, but that didn't placate the critics. It seems to me that it's going to take far more than just powerups and Peach being playable (and customizable) to have people to get interested in 2D Mario again, the same way people got interested in Super Mario Odyssey after years of Mario being dull and "safe".

Mario Party X said:

Kokoro said:
They could experiment with the art style for starters. Sometimes, having a complete fresh coat of paint will make people more interested in the games. I'd like to see the 2D vector style being used for a new series of 2D Mario platformers. Maybe they can change up the gameplay, perhaps make it like Super Mario Bros. 2 again, or at least borrow elements. Maybe it can be like Super Mario Bros. X where worlds clash and you find a multitude of powerups from previous games. I think new ideas are still possible for the 2D Mario platformers.

Or they can remake the Super Mario Land games. :)

I don't think they should change the gameplay. Why change something that works and is the tried and true formula? I'm all for some changes, but I would rather they not change the core gameplay.

Back