Your first impression of Mario characters?

Cell

Perfect
Pronouns
Kie/Mer
What did you think when you first saw a certain Mario character?

Mine are:
Mario: Cool
Luigi: My little brother likes him, so do I
Yoshi: My fave!
DK: I like monkeys
Wario and Waluigi: Ugly
Peach, Daisy, Toad: Annoying(Thins changed later)
Rosalina: As I was older, I thought she was cool but somewhat sad looking
Koopalings: No impression at all, really, the Goombas gave me more of a impression

Here's what I can remember:

Mario: Cool. (Super Mario 64)
Luigi: Another Mario. (Mario Kart 64)
Peach: I want to play as her but I'm worried that my dad will make fun of me for playing as a female character. (Mario Kart 64)
Toad: He was my favorite character in Mario Kart 64 when I was a kid.
Yoshi: No opinion, he was my dad's favorite character and later I liked him too.
Wario, DK, and Bowser: They look evil and I don't wish to play as them. (Mario Kart 64)
Daisy: Yay, another princess that I can play as! (Mario Party 6)
Waluigi: He's an evil Luigi. (Mario Party 6)
Toadette: Wow, she is the cutest character ever! I love that there's a female Toad! (MP6)
Birdo: She looks strange, but I still want to play as her. (MP7)
Baby Peach: Wow, there's a baby version of Peach? Yay!! (Mario Kart Wii)
Baby Daisy: There's a baby Daisy too? Yes!
Metal Mario: Ugh, why do we need a metal version of Mario? This is the worst character ever! (Mario Kart 7)
Pink Gold Peach: Oh cool, now there's a metal Peach too! =D (Mario Kart 8 )
Baby Rosalina: Yay, another baby princess! (MK8)

Mario: (i'm so sorry for this) Eh he's ok. I'm gonna pick the other player instead because he jumps higher

Luigi: I'll choose him because I want to jump higher (Both of these first impressions were in Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2 and I believe I immediately gravitated toward Luigi because the idea of jumping higher was apparently that important to me)

Wario: Wow he sounds like a wicked witch (Mario Kart 64)

Waluigi: I FINALLY UNLOCKED THE BLUE MARIO BROTHER!!! (Mario Kart DS)

Bowser: Wow I've been seeing this "Browser" guy's name but I wasn't expecting him to be a giant floating clown head! (SMA2 again, before he actually rose out of the clown car)

Fawful: (when first hearing his name, interpreting it as an adjective) What's so fawful? (when he appears, interpreting the rockets on his headgear as a little girl's hair, the laugh didn't help) Wow the villain has a flying little girl as a minion! (M&L:Superstar Saga)

Dimentio: Wow, is this the sun goddess? (do i really need to say what game)

Daisy: Wow, is she supposed to be an over-enthusiastic soccer mom? (Mario Kart DS)

Yoshi: Yay I get to ride the dino! (SMA2)

Bowletta (I had just gotten the SSS cartridge as a gift and the save file was on the final boss): Wow Bowser, what a festive mask you have o--OH MY GOD THAT MUSIC IS SO FRICKING GOOD (the frick is probably the most accurate to my vocabulary at the time)

Pink Gold Peach: (in the Mario Kart direct that revealed her) God-fucking-damnit why is this the final reveal. WHY. This is not hype! Whyyyy, why not Fawful why not Fawful W H Y N O T F A W F U L (probably a few more hours of delusional sobbing about a character that had no chance)

Mario: Not sure what it is, but there's something I really like about this guy. (Super Mario 64/Super Mario Land)
Luigi: He seems cool too. (Super Mario Advance)
Wario: Whoa this guy is strong, look at those crazy moves! (Wario Land 4)
Waluigi: Eh? (Mario Party 6)
Peach: Oh cool, she floats. (Super Mario Advance)
Daisy: Why did she transform into a bug after I beat that fire-breathing lion thing? (Super Mario Land)
Rosalina: She's pretty. (Super Mario Galaxy)
Pauline: So this is Mario's original girlfriend? (Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis)
Toad: Thanks for the advice, good buddy. (Super Mario 64)
Toadette: Cool. (Mario Party 6)
Yoshi: WHOA I CAN RIDE HIM!? (Super Mario Advance 2)
Birdo: What did she say? (Super Mario Advance)
Donkey Kong: Catchy theme song you got there. (Mario Party 6)
Diddy Kong: Nice hat. (Mario Kart Double Dash)
Bowser: STOP BURNING ME ALREADY! (Super Mario 64)
Bowser Jr.: Wait, so you're Shadow Mario?! (Super Mario Sunshine)

Man I really don't know what my first impression for a lot of Mario characters are. I know my first impressions for Toadette was positive. She is cute! My sister told me that we ridiculed Baby Mario in Mario Tennis 64, but I honestly didn't remember facing him. I know we really liked Baby Mario and Baby Luigi in Double Dash, they just are really fun children. I remember Rosalina being this mysterious new Mario character who is practically a space Peach, but maybe more dignified?

I know I never liked Donkey Kong. I also know I liked Yoshi and Koopa a lot but I dislike both today.

Mario: [Great] The first time I have seen Mario was in a cartoon, so when I found out that he has a game, I thought that all cartoon characters you see on TV have a game based on them, since I also found out that Sonic has a game too (coming from knowing him in a cartoon). The first time I heard Mario's voice, it was surprising to hear a falsetto because it's unexpected, but it felt like it fits Mario very well.
Luigi: [OK] I felt that he has little presence, since I don't tend to play 2 players. As such, I didn't view Luigi to be an important presence in the overall Mario world. Even back then, I believe I knew that Luigi looked similar to Mario since it doesn't take much effort to implement him that way.
Peach: [Invisible] I never knew the princess character is supposed to be an important one, because not only is her presence lacking in quite a number of Mario games, her design never stood out to me. Even her voicing felt like standard fare. Even now I found Peach to be very generic compared to the rest of the Mario crew.
Toad: [Great] He is what defined Mario to me because of the distinctive mushroom cap, and despite its simplicity, is very recognisable. Only thing is I didn't know that Toad is part of a species, as I thought there's only one Toad. My first impression on his voice in Super Mario Advance is one of excitement because he made a very distinctive sound, and one of my favourite voice acting.
Bowser: [Invisible] Similar to Peach, I never knew that Bowser is supposed to be an important character until the later games where Bowser is more easily identifiable.
Daisy: [Invisible] I never knew that Daisy was a notable character until I read up on how the spin-offs have her, most notably Mario Tennis. My first impression on her voice is strong however, so unlike Peach, I eventually liked Daisy better mainly because of the voice acting.
Yoshi: [Good] Very useful, since he's like a horse that you can ride on. His record-scratching voice is a mystery because I can't seem to imitate it very well.
Wario: [Good] I love how wacky his name is, because it so similar to Mario that I knew that he's a sort of rival to Mario. His design is also very good so Wario's off to a good start. His voice acting also felt natural for the type of person he is.
Donkey Kong: [OK] My first impression of Donkey Kong is from the CGI animated series, where he's funny to look at. I don't remember the singing part but it's amusing to find out that the singing is what made the animated series' DK very memorable. In terms of video game voice acting though, the monkey sounds are very funny.
Waluigi: [OK] I was reading about Mario Tennis on The Mushroom Kingdom and I found out that there is a character called Waluigi, and knowing that Mario, Luigi and Wario exists, the addition to this character clicked with me because he fills a gap that I didn't even know was there.
Bowser Jr.: [OK] It was kind of unnecessary for Bowser Jr. to be included, given that I knew that Koopalings were established as Bowser's children (as they were known then). I came around when he provided a more continued presence since he's clearly built to be Bowser's partner-in-crime.
Toadette: [OK] Much like Waluigi, Toadette filled a gap that I didn't know was there, so I am good with her inclusion.
Rosalina: [OK] I thought she was an alternate version of Peach at first. Also, I liked that there is a new character introduced for the latest of Mario's most exciting adventure (at that time).

Thank you for reading.

i remember, before i even knew hardly anything mario related, i saw a yoshi in spore in deviantart and thought "lmao whos this dummy some popular character i dont care about" and just forgot about it until many many years later. i think i located the same image later on and that was. alright looking?
also i discovered koopalings through mariowiki (Whoops) and i thought they were dumb at firts but then somehow they became one of my favorites like that same day :koopa:

Mario: I'll pick super mario because he's the main character!
Luigi: This is just a discount Mario....
Peach: Bleh! A girl! (Sorry because I was sexist at the time)
Toad: SO CUTE!!!
Yoshi: Who the hell is this green puppy?
Wario and Waluigi: wait, who are these weirdos?
Bowser: I hate this guy because he's EVIL!
Bowser Jr and the Koopalings: what are those?
DK: Yeah monkeys are cool, but this ape is ugly.
Luma: oh look! A star! I can be invincible!
Polari: oh no! A black star! The enemies use it to become invincible! (I never heard of Mario Galaxy at the time)
Rosalina: Blue Peach?
Toadette: Cute (again)
Diddy Kong: I will never look at monkeys the same way ever again...
Kamek: AAAH! WITCH!!
Baby Mario: wait, Two marios?
Goomba: haha! You pathetic little weak enemy!
Thwomp: Good lord, this enemy is gonna give me nightmares!
Hammer Bro: annoying
Petey Piranha: wtf is this Piranha Plant × T-Rex hybrid !?!

Some of these will be very weird, as the ways I was introduced to some of these characters are a bit weird. Also, these are only the ones I can specifically remember my intial reactions to.
Mario: He's a doctor. (Dr. Mario on the Game Boy- No other context at the time.)
Princess Peach: She's a nurse. (Again, on the Dr. Mario box)
Luigi: He's a scaredy cat. (Mario Kart Wii)
Yoshi: He's funny. (Mario Kart Wii)
Daisy: There's another girl from Mario? She looks more fun than Peach! (Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games)
Rosalina: Cool (That said, I hadn't seen her at the time, I'd just heard of her when looking up unlocking criteria for characters in Mario Kart Wii and just thought she sounded cool.)
Iggy: He's got a carrot growing out of his head. (Had a figure of him, but I may ave seen him in New Super Mario Bros. Wii before then. I distinctly remember eventually coming to Mario Wiki to look up their names)
Roy: He's a granny. (Same as Iggy)
Baby Mario: Really cute (Mario Kart Wii)
Toadette: Cute (Mario Kart Wii)
Diddy Kong: Cute (Mario Kart Wii)
King Boo: Cool (Mario Kart Wii)
Kamek: He's a girl (New Super Mario Bros. Wii, although this was before the boss fight.)
Baby Peach: What on Earth did they do to Peach?
Baby Daisy: Oh my gosh, she's even worse!
Baby Rosalina: She looks awful.
Baby Wario: Imagine how ugly he'd be! (This was in a conversation with a friend before I even knew he existed- I was wrong.)
Baby Yoshi: That'd be really cute. (Again, in a conversation. I was very wrong)

I liked Mario and Luigi and found them charming, and Luigi rather peculiar-looking with his white clothes and green hair and moustache plus the fact that he looked the same as fire Mario when he took the fire flower.
Loathed Lakitu. Also it took me some time before I understood what his sprite was supposed to be, I saw him and the cloud he rides on as the same goggle-wearing entity with the cloud's eyes as the nostrils and Lakitu crouching as the top of its head.
I thought Toad was cute.
Peach was a bit of a mystery to me since I hadn't seen pictures of her and only knew that Mario and Luigi was trying to save a princess who was never in the castles I got to.

Wario and Waluigi made me a bit uncomfortable at first. Yoshi I found adorable.

Mario: He's the guy my twin uses.
Luigi: I loved him and he was my absolute favorite until Baby Luigi eventually dethroned him.
Peach: I liked her, used her as my Mario Kart 64 main and wish I had a plushie of her. I don't like her much anymore though.
Yoshi: Cute little dinosaur who made cute noises.
Wario: Ugly guy who needs to get killed.
Donkey Kong: Ugly ape who needs to get killed.
Bowser: He's a bad guy so that means he should lose.
Birdo: Yuck.
Daisy and Waluigi: Cool a partner to Peach and a rival for Luigi.
Toadette: Loved her since her inception.
Baby Mario: He was an idiotic stupid addition to the Mario series. What's not to love about him.
Baby Luigi: Always wanted to use him when he showed up in Double Dash, first heard about him through Baby Mario's Melee trophy.
Baby Peach: A baby version of Peach? Cool.
Baby Daisy: Completely unnecessary.
Baby Rosalina: Absolutely unnecessary.
Boo: Floaty white thing I didn't pay much attention to.
Diddy Kong: Oh that monkey I had as a toy from Rare games now playable in Double Dash? Weird.
Bowser Jr: Little brat isn't he.
Rosalina: Mysterious woman who looks awesome, hope she becomes playable.

Bucken Berry said:
Peach: Bleh! A girl! (Sorry because I was sexist at the time)
Sounded like a normal boy to me :P

He he.

Such bad boys we were at the time, me and TG. :D

Treasured memories.

I was pretty neutral at first for most of them except for Peach.

At first I used to think Peach was terrible but that changed over the years to the point where I like her.

My recent first impressions are for Baby Rosalina and Peachette.

My impression is that she's completely out of place and does not match Rosalina's back story in Super Mario Galaxy 1, she deserves to be redesigned to reflect Rosalina's backstory.

My first impression for Peachette is that she is dumb, weird, and completely out of place. She's unnecessary when Peach herself can be playable after being rescued just like in Super Mario Run.

I'll only list one here.

Baby Daisy: ADORABLE AND AWESOME!!! Seriously, she needs to be in more games.

Back