New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe release thread

Parakoopa144

a delicious beverage
Game is officially releasing in about 2 hours, I'm gonna pick it up tommorow. Post here about whether you're getting it or not, what you think so far, or just any other thoughts.

Personally, I'll just buy like any Single-Player Mario game on Switch, and this is no exception. Sure it's a port, but it's one of a game I've never played before, and one that is apparently quite good. The only thing that really hurts me about his port is the price tag. If it was £30 like Captain Toad, those notes would practically fly outta my wallet, but because it's £45, it's gonna hurt a little to bite the bullet, though I'm still excited to play it.

The game looks pretty beefy in terms of content too, I might even try some of those stupid Ceave challenges, haha.

In these hours before release, I found that most of my problems with the port were mere misconceptions that were commonly believed. As it turns out, Blue Toad is playable, Mario is only playable in Mario U, and the Luigi U time limits haven't changed at all. The lack of fully balanced four-player co-op will likely be a bit of a problem, and even moreso in Luigi U due to Mario's absence. But the absence of Boost Mode, and a fifth of the challenges with it, will likely be the sole reason I re-buy the Wii U version as well as getting the Switch version. Still, my brother's probably getting NSMBU Deluxe for his birthday in March, so at least I won't have to buy the game twice in the same year!

Honestly, I have no plans on getting this. I got it for Wii U and thought it was an okay game. I didn't think it's anything special. Being able to play as Toadette wasn't able to convince me to get it for Switch.

I think it is a little better but I want a New Super Mario Bros. Switch in return after this port. It needs to have Peach and Daisy playable and not kidnapped. It should also run on the Unity engine since it's a good engine for a 2D Mario game and Super Mario Run was made using it and it would be simple to work with and allow for Peach and Daisy to be playable because it would be easy to reuse assets without hassle. I am honestly sick and tired of Peach being kidnapped. I mean after Super Mario Run (a stripped down New Super Mario Bros. game for mobile devices), there should be no more excuses and no more laziness. People have been begging for a playable Peach, as well as Daisy, in a NSMB game for years. It took until now where StupidMarioBros1Fan managed to make Peach and Daisy playable (but without their abilties as they have to be ASM hacked in) in NSMBWii. Nintendo was playing us for a fool with that excuse in NSMBWii of not being able to program and animate her dress when they already did it in Super Smash Bros. Melee and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The whole Peach being kidnapped plot is monotonous, repetitive and boring at this point. As the AVGN said, "you can't keep doing the same thing all the time or else it gets old, but every now and then, it's good to bring it back".

I would love to see a lot of changes made such new level design, ditching lives and the timer, and best of all the Power Up Crashes which take inspiration from the Item Crashes in Castlevania games from Rondo of Blood onwards. They will take coins to use and they will be in the current form of the player and character dependant (Super, Fire, Ice, etc). These are my ideas for New Super Mario Bros. Switch.
latest

With that said, I am thankful for the port but I want a new NSMB game in return that's built from the ground up for the Switch. I am thankful for Peachette being the closest thing to a playable Peach in this port. It's better than no playable Peach for the time being. I have high expectations for Peach to be playable in NSMB Switch or the next 2D Mario game.

Peach and Daisy would be really cool, but if I'm honest, I love Peachette to death. It's just a weird, dumb feature they added to this game, that I think will be looked back on in the same vain as other weird powerups like the Scarf Tanooki, or Cat or Frog Suit.

Also a New NSMB would be cool, buy I felt that Deluxe might be the send off. I don't know if you've looked elsewhere, but people are furious about this port. Public opinion on NSMB is already pretty low regard, but a £45 port? That got people's blood boiling. And especially with the "inevitable" January Direct, seeming ever and ever more like a fake rumor, this could be our big game until March, which certainly has some people scares by the thought. If they were to announce a New NSMB after this, it would get so much hate, that I don't think it's worth the risk.

Just picked up the game. One of the issues that seems non-existent, was the control issues GameXplain mentioned which... don't seem to exist? Yeah, you can spin with B button, but ZR works too. I've played through all of Acorn Plains so far, and not once did the controls mess up on me. The Acorn Suit is probably my favourite powerup in the series, it's just so fun and balanced. The game looks pretty good in 1080p too. I'm excited to play a new (hehe) Mario platformer on the Switch, its so cool.

It looks like something that's good if you didn't pick it up on Wii U.

Unfortunately, I did pick it up on Wii U and I don't feel the need to play this again really. Nothing too special besides Toadette and some other features.

At least Blue Toad's back I guess

I don't even own a Wii U. So I'll experience the game for the first time when I'll get it on my Switch. But I do own NSMB Wii. And the Wii U game is similar from what I've heard. But hey, I'm getting the Switch port someday!

If you had never played a NSMB game in your life and wanted to play one, this is the one I'd recommend.

If you have however then I'd say skip it.

Replaying NSMBU as my favorite character is super fun tbh

I'm kind of on the fence since I already have the Wii U versions of NSMBU and NSLU, but maybe I might grab Deluxe in the future.

Do we get a explanation on Mario's whereabouts in NSLU this time or is all we see of him still just his cap on the table in the intro? Even if he isn't playable it would still be cool if they added a secret cameo or something.

Ahahaha, fellow Mario fan, don't get your hopes up

I picked up NSMBUDX and had a lot of fun playing it. My one main issue with it remains the same as 6 years ago:

What I really want is a 2D Mario that actually picks up on and expands on the design of Super Mario World. A game that uses expertly designed platforming levels as tools for unlocking/opening up an irregularly designed map. I use the term "irregularly designed" to differentiate it from NSMBU's world map, which while being a vast improvement on the straight lines of Yoshi and other NSMB games, is still so rigidly designed. "Each world will have this many levels, with this many secret levels, and the secret levels will always branch off from this number level, etc. etc." And there was no sense of it being one world, they had to stick to "world 1 is grass, world 2 is sand" concept. It took the joy out of the exploration.

I want to open up a really cool, well-designed, interconnected map using 2d platforming!

Also, this is my first post. Hi Mario fans!

Hiya

The thing with this game's map design is just that they stringed together a bunch of worlds with no thought to cohesion. The very abrupt transition from hot Sandy desert to snowland is ridiculous. It's really lazy, and they might as well just stick to how New Super Mario Bros. Has been dealing with it. Maybe they should try making one big island or something again, though I guess we miss out on desert, but who really cares about desert levels? Or maybe make it like World of Light, but not as stupidly huge and passed out.

Who cares about desert levels?

I do. It's my favorite level type next to lava. When it comes to Mario games of course.

It's just kind of hard to put desert levels on an island and maintain cohesion. You can pack in mountains, forest, caves, beaches, and underground caves, but deserts? I feel those occupy far more real estate, but maybe we can squeeze that as part of the mountain rain shadow or something.

Back