Mario characters you used to hate/dislike but then started to love/like them.

Dr. Peach

Rest in Peace Walkazo 1991-2016
Banned User
For me, it's Peach.

At first I used to think she was terrible (and that she sucked), meh, and didn't pay any attention to her. But then in 2012, my opinion of her started to get better, but I still kinda disliked her. It was only around 2014 where I got tired of Samantha Kelly's Peach voice because of her Maraario scream, but I liked Peach because of her looks. However, it was around 2015 where I started to become a huge Peach fan that I am now. It was Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour and Mario Power Tennis that kickstarted my like for Peach. Before that I used to think that she was only good looking and I only liked her because of her looks and her ponytail, I used to dislike everything else about her. In 2017, I fully embraced Mario X Peach until the ending of Super Mario Odyssey made me stop being a hardcore shipper and just a regular fan of it. I did lose a little respect for Peach though, but I still like her.

Baby Mario was about to be that type of character who would get regularly thrashed on the same levels of Donkey Kong and Wario. He has it all going for it: a stupid idea (playable in the same game as Mario), a dumb baby, and he makes a satisfying crying noise when he loses. That was our first impression of him in Mario Tennis 64.

But, just look at him:

Babymariogolf.png
600px-BabyMario_MT.png

He's so irresistible isn't he? No wonder I fell in love with him and his little baby brother who eventually appeared in Mario Kart: Double Dash. It's about those darned cute looks. They just sucker-punch girls into it and it gets them every time, even the cynical, sarcastic, hateful, and always angry types like myself fall for it to the point where those little twerp rip-offs became my favorite Mario characters period.

Probably... Mario...?

Look guys. There was a time where I was a stupid idiot, (I mean I still am one but I was an even dumber one at some point) and really believed that Bowser was just the misunderstood guy... Yeah, I was THAT kind of person. I was like "Look at Mario! Stealing the spotlight" especially since I have always favored Luigi, and the supposed attention stealing was mostly focused on him. My mind was set on "Mario's a big dick, he treats everyone like he's the main good guy or something...

And then I joined the community, and man hadn't I done that, I would be lost forever.

That's swell, you might have rubbed on me for differences of opinion. I don't think I'd dislike you. It's just an opinion. But I would probably be the first to say "hey, that's not true". Why do you like Mario more?

That being said, I misread a phrase in your post as "My mind was set on Mario's big dick" and I went cross eyed.

Mario Party X said:
That being said, I misread a phrase in your post as "My mind was set on Mario's big dick" and I went cross eyed.

I think that speaks more about you than it does him.

Idk, I just started... looking at Mario for me to stop hating him or something. Before I saw him as the stupid generic guy who somehow gets love but now he's actually the guy who enjoys just about anything and that alone is something I admire, being able to do things you have to do while having a good time. And pretty much like you, the fact that his design was made because of limitations is beyond fascinating.

So yeah, he's a great character in my eyes, now.

At first, my despised Mario characters were Toad and Yoshi. I always thought Toad was annoying and that Yoshi was ugly. When I started playing as them, I had a lot of fun, and I realised that they have a lot of personality. So now, they're my favourite characters.

There are no Mario characters that I dislike that I then started liking. At best there were ones I was indifferent to then I started liking.

For example Captain Toad. Before he was nothing to me, now after playing his spin off I think he is a perfectly fine dude. Same with Toadette.

Honestly there are more characters I went from liking to disliking or went from indifference to disliking than the opposite.

I wouldn't exactly say love/like for this character. More like tolerate.
Waluigi.

...there, I said it. I can now tolerate Waluigi.
For reasons unknown, even to me.

The meme died down, that's why.

I tolerate his existence now too.

When I was little, I disliked Wario and Waluigi because they were ugly. Now I like them a whole lot, primarily because of how hilarious they are.

The whole "Waluigi in Smash" thing did nothing to affect my like for Waluigi.

Honey Queen maybe. I still don't really "like" her but I don't hate her like I used to. Probably because compared to what Mario Kart 8 added, she's a complete upgrade.

Toadette: I used to lump her with Toad without much of a second thought but she's actually far more tolerable than him, and kind of adorable. Most importantly, her voice does not make me wish to have my ears surgically removed.

Honestly Bowser? I used to be part of the "good guys are better" troop, so I didn't exactly like Bowser. But honestly the more I put him into my writing and looked into Bowser when doing research on his son, I've really became to love him!

Peach for me too. I disliked her for being an overly-girly "damsel in distress" type, but the ending of Odyssey really did wonders for her reputation in my eyes, since it showed her to be a stronger and more independent person than her tropes would suggest. Ever since then, I've been banking more and more on the nostalgia I had of having a crush on Peach when I was 10, and less on my former hatred of girly things. Her being top tier in Smash Ultimate also helped her in my eyes, and I now see her as an adorable, iconic and lovable character, except when she's depicted as incompetent or ditzy like in Sunshine.

EDIT: You can say the opposite happened with Wario for me. I used to think he was the coolest thing ever, but his Smash portrayal made me lose most of my unironic admiration for him beyond his being a walking fart joke that happens to be good for trolling/taunt parties.

When I first saw Birdo, I was like "What is that?". I wasn't a fan, but soon after that, I started to appreciate Birdo more and now Birdo's a personal favorite of mine. Honestly, Birdo doesn't get enough love. Birdo got robbed in terms of character selection in Mario Kart 8. I'm still salty about that.

Xgouki said:
EDIT: You can say the opposite happened with Wario for me. I used to think he was the coolest thing ever, but his Smash portrayal made me lose most of my unironic admiration for him beyond his being a walking fart joke that happens to be good for trolling/taunt parties.
He has always been a joke for me, lol. I'm quite known in this forum for my rather over the top sadism for this character.

Mario Party X said:
Xgouki said:
He has always been a joke for me, lol. I'm quite known in this forum for my rather over the top sadism for this character.

And the weird thing is, I still like Waluigi a lot because his charm is based on outright weirdness (and thanks to the fandom, memes) rather than grossout humor.

I was so baffled when Monika, one of the best video game villains in recent years, was beat out by Wario in the GameFAQs Character Battle last year. Then again, it's the same contest that had exactly one (1) Overwatch character in the bracket who was beaten out by Fox, so *shrugs*

For most characters it's the other way round. A recent example is Yoshi, who I found really annoying when he wouldn't shut up when I was fighting him in Smash, and had a Voice Clip for everything that happened to him, or that he did.

Xgouki said:
And the weird thing is, I still like Waluigi a lot because his charm is based on outright weirdness (and thanks to the fandom, memes) rather than grossout humor.

I was so baffled when Monika, one of the best video game villains in recent years, was beat out by Wario in the GameFAQs Character Battle last year. Then again, it's the same contest that had exactly one (1) Overwatch character in the bracket who was beaten out by Fox, so *shrugs*
I find Waluigi more palatable than Wario, but I still think he is very ugly, and he is naturally the bad version of Luigi, a character I do like. I actually don't dislike either, but both tend to make for very good fodder. Wario, moreso because he's uglier and grosser.

Putt-Putt said:
For most characters it's the other way round. A recent example is Yoshi, who I found really annoying when he wouldn't shut up when I was fighting him in Smash, and had a Voice Clip for everything that happened to him, or that he did.
Lol he is very annoying. That "ow woo woo" noise he makes just from poking him gets on my nerves. It doesn't help that every time he jumps, he makes this stupid "hnnnnnngh" noise , and he jumps often.

For older cast I think it's Wario. The way how they copied plumber characters just to be rivals and fillers for sport games is kinda not very positive, but I like how his potential and personality go in his own series now.

As for recent character I think Nabbit is also good potential as a small boss or rival, despite his insertion in mainstream game as main player was controversial and it displeased me. Hope that we can see his further role in maybe a different 3D maistream game or a PRG.

Natsuki said:
Peach. Some of you remember that I had a huge hate boner for her. I don't really care for her nowadays.
So your opinion of her has gotten better, I see.

While there hasn't been a Mario character that I genuinely "hated" or "disliked", I did used to get mildly annoyed at Bowser Jr. when I was younger just because I used to consider him the Scrappy of the Marioverse. However my opinion on him has since dramatically improved over time and honestly I'm actually somewhat excited to see what role he'll have in BiS DX.

Luigi: I hated Luigi when I was younger because he annoyed me a lot in the Mario Party games (always very lucky, beat me at the minigames more than any other CPU character, etc). I stopped hating him in 2012, and later there was a time when Luigi was actually one of my favorite characters. I remember that in 2015 I liked Luigi a lot and I played as him more often in Smash 4 and Mario Kart 8. I even bought Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon that year because I had so much respect for him. Nowadays, I don't like him as much as I used to, but I don't hate him either (outside of Smash).

Koopa Troopa: I used to hate him, but I started to like him at around the time Mario Kart 7 came out.

Lakitu: At first I did not like his inclusion in Mario Kart 7, and I also thought that he had an annoying voice. Now I like him.

Baby Mario: I used to only like the baby princesses, and I didn't like Baby Mario and Baby Luigi back then. A few years ago, I played some online races in Mario Kart 8 with Baby Mario, and I lost in most of them. I felt really bad for him whenever he lost in a race and cried "Mama!" After that I had a change of heart and now I like Baby Mario.

Baby Luigi: It took longer for me to start liking Baby Luigi, but I am okay with him now. I think the reason why I've stopped hating Baby Luigi is because I felt bad for hating BabyLuigiOnFire's favorite character. I almost never let him be on the opposing team anymore when I play Mario Kart.

I think I also used to hate Bowser Jr., but I like him now.

Back