Subspace Emissary vs World of Light

Which do you prefer?

• SE

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • WoL

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters
Subspace Emissary was amazing to me. The cutscenes were gold, the gameplay was fun, and I always thought Tabuu was a cool villian.

Never played Brawl but Subspace looks amazing.

Also this should be in the SSB board.

hated subspace because it didnt let me pick whatever character i wanted
in theory wol has the same problem but i main kirby so i dont care
wandering around the map and being forced to pay attention to spirits in order to win is boring though
i liked melee's singleplayer

I enjoyed both but WoL didn't have the sidescrolling stages (except the Castlevania world map section but it was still just emulating a sidescroller with a world map) and was just battle to battle. Granted, the spirit battles allowed for a lot of characters being represented that Subspace didn't have, but I'm still gonna have to give it to Subspace for all the cutscenes, interactions between characters, and having gameplay outside battles. If we could get a Subspace-style mode with cutscenes like the first scene of WoL (complete with voice acting, even for Mario characters), but as plentiful as in Subspace, and gameplay outside battles, it would easily be the best single-player story mode in the series imo.

World of Light was thankfully extremely forgiving to my main. Compared to Subspace Emisarry. World of Light is boring as hell, but at least I can chug through it as Mario and pretend Mario has saved the Smash World... With some help BUT nevertheless. Subspace Emisarry had the platforming, but the enemies are lame, the environments are generic, and it's heavily padded, and I don't feel like going through that dreck either, even with mods that force change the character being used to Mario.

Subspace Emissary had dreadful, slow-paced sluggish platforming, idiotically designed bland forgettable original bad guys, lazy "puzzles", spending your time mindlessly beating up a gauntlet of enemies for quite some time, limiting characters to play as, extremely generic stages (oh hurrah, let's run through iconic Nintendo location "The Caves"), littered with generic, original enemies that no one gives a crap about (do any of you remember what a "Cymul" is? Or a "Gamyga"?) in game that has crossover franchises rich with recognizable enemies (Smash Run is how you do it properly), a story that made absolutely no sense and wants you to take it seriously for hell's sake, bland, silent protagonists, the length of the mode that dragged on far too long, and the worst level of the game, The Great Maze, which serves only as a gigantic way to pad out the game even more with locations you've been through and refighting bosses again.

World of Light is a slow-paced, sluggish mode that dragged on for more longer than it was necessary, was extremely repetitive in how you fight spirits over and over again, had idiotically-designed, bland forgettable original bad guys, the cutscenes had mediocre delivery and unnecessary voice acting which wasn't taken advantage of, also has a ton of difficulty spikes littered all over the maps especially with many of the Legend spirits, some characters were fucked because they were unlocked far later in World of Light, and a padded out repeat boss gauntlet fight near the end of the game.

Honestly, I liked neither mode all that much, wanted them to end quickly, etc. but I found less problems with World of Light because it at least knew it was in a Nintendo game with its World Map designs and spirit battles referencing past Nintendo properties, unlike Subspace Emissary, which was just a bunch of fucking literally who's you're battling against with nothing memorable about any of them. Surprisingly, I play a Nintendo crossover because I want to fight and beat up Nintendo characters in Nintendo locations, not OCs in random made-up generic locations that no one cares about.

The only thing Subspace has going for it are the cutscenes, because seeing my favorite Nintendo characters interact in full CGi is just a treat though.

Everything else though? Bland, ugly locals and enemy designs. Would have greatly benefited from using actual Nintendo locations and enemies. Even with that, platforming would still be an awful slog.

World of Light is easy to pick up and put down, has more freedom, and the fights are all a lot more interesting. The writer in me also likes killing in the gaps and imagining the interactions as Kirby recruits allies one by one. I also love the map and the sub areas. The Zelda sub area was honestly the best part of the whole campaign. The final boss in Ultimate (true ending at least) is exponentially more fun than the Tabuu fight.

Honestly, I think I like SE a bit more. Traveling is on the tedious side for me in WoL, and I really wish there was some platforming (contrary to Galactic Petey.) Collecting the spirits and scouring the world for the correct kind needed for opening dungeons and paths also tire me.

Over all, however, I prefer WoL because Ultimate's gameplay is better than Brawl in general.

I perfer the SSE, in the SSE in Brawl you can pick the map over and over again. In the WOL you can't play the battle again without a new save file or New Game+. As for characters, the WOL had a TON of fights to get to my main, Corrin, and my backup main, Bayonetta is on the last map. I perfer the SSE on that point too. I got to my main in Brawl, Lucas very fast in the SSE.

I'm lucky that my main happened to be the one starter character, then. I hardly ever switch characters in World of Light because my main is Kirby. Of course, it's always nice to have my secondaries like Yoshi and Dedede available.

And while I haven't played Brawl, Kirby is available from the very first battle and he's one of the main five, so I got lucky on that front too. Even better, Yoshi is also one of the main five.

I feel like the luckiest guy in the world.

Started up World Of Light barely yesterday, and wouldcha know it.

I unlocked Lucario really fast.

King Dedede said:
And while I haven't played Brawl, Kirby is available from the very first battle and he's one of the main five, so I got lucky on that front too. Even better, Yoshi is also one of the main five.
The thing with Subspace Emisarry is that you can't stick with one character, but you are often given a choice between several. But any how, there will be times where you will pick and use characters you aren't good with or you're otherwise indifferent to.

Now that I've finished Wol, I can actually stop and make a better argument about which I preferred

In general, I think SSE was better, for a few reasons

1) Both drag on, but I feel by the end of it, SSE had more variety on things to do. Smash is a fighting game primarily, but it's also a platformer. SSE handled this much more by giving you a lot of Kirby style levels to tide you over inbetween fights and stuff. People love Melee's adventure mode for this as well.

I got to the last level of Wol where you
climbed the platforms while dodging Galeem and Dharkon, and beating up puppets
and I really enjoyed it. Stuff like that really could've broken up the growing monotony of the spirit battles well, and would've given me personally a lot more motivation to keep going, other than wanting the alternate menu music.

2) SSE had the cutscenes and pseudo plot, which of course was nothing groundbreaking, but it was fun enough and I still really enjoy watching them over. Sure watching the Wol final bosses beat the shit out of each other was nice, but I still have no real idea what the deeper lore was because I get the feeling there was supposed to be some.

3) The characters were all running around and doing their own thing in SSE. It felt more natural that clusters of fighters had to go to very different places and deal with their own problems simultaneously, while all coming together in the end.

This point I can't really defend as strongly because I also like the concept of having to go out and find all the fighters in the map, and Wol then restricts you to fighters less and less as it goes on. Maybe it was a good thing there wasn't much plot, because the whole group of dozens of fighters running around to deal with spirits one by one would've been pretty goofy.

4) Having to stop and prep for each fight really got kind of irritating, it would've been nice if you could just ignore the matchups for rank 1 and 2 spirits or something

(maybe you can, I never experimented much but it never seemed like a good idea at the time)

On the flip side:

1) Wol made event matches a lot cooler than they were in the last game
2)
Getting to use master hand for that fight was huge
3) The world maps are very pretty, even if they are just 2D .jpgs

I think next game's adventure mode could be monumental if they draw from both modes in just the right amounts

Assuming there will be one

See the thing is subspace is irredeemably awful in every way that's not cutscenes I don't care about.
Whereas wol had fun gameplay that didn't make me hate the game
So wol by process of actually being good.

Hard to say. I liked both. Subspace Emissary, I found pretty fun, despite the generic enemies. World of Light is also fun, but I wish it had more to do than just fighting.

I honestly wish they would have just expanded on Melee's Adventure Mode in Ultimate, and included side-scrolling levels, featuring levels and enemies from various Nintendo games, but bigger than in Melee.

That's what Subspace did. Now, I think some location changes will do a lot to improve Subspace, but it just won't change its boring gameplay and platforming or just how long and drawn out it is (but again, so is World of Light, which feels 10 hours way too long).

Back